fhink.jpg
HighScores6.jpg
HighScores7.jpg
HighScores5.jpg
300-1.jpg
Card_Trix_009.jpg
Card_Trix_008.jpg
Card_Trix_007.jpg
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

I am really surprised at the vastly different opinions on the subject.Part of the appeal of the older games for me is their history, where they have been, what they have seen and survived...I like the "snapshot" of the time when they were still a big part of our culture. To me removing all evidence of that is a shame. From the looks of this game in particular though, this artwork was probably done after it was off route...the whole side was painted white and then the art applied. I cant see that being done in a bowling alley or arcade so I am less excited about it in terms of its back story.

As I pointed out earlier, by this logic, no game would ever be restored. No matter what happened to it, it would continue to just be played as is until it collapsed into a pile of junk on the floor.

I see nothing cool at all about that.

Car collectors like original cars with patina. That doesn't mean they're going to collect and then let sit a 1953 Corvette that has "Yo mama" spray painted on the side.

I think you're failing to differentiate between history of a game under normal wear and tear conditions vs someone just messing a game up. That doesn't constitute history.

#52 8 years ago

That logic would also require every game to be repainted though right? If it went past the fungible definition of normal wear?

Car analogy doesn't really work...people don't write on cars typically...they do write on arcade/vending. Actually, a high score scratched in or a little art on a pinball could be considered the equivalent of car "patina".

Either you like it or you don't...this isn't a right or wrong issue. I watch some of those antique/collector shows and some of the stuff people buy I wouldn't cross the street to get...but they like it.

Either way, if the game has been repainted in that area and then the pictures scratched in--that takes away from the originality factor if that side doesn't match the rest of the game...

#53 8 years ago

Its ugly, get rid of it.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

don't you guys ever look at the graffiti and wonder where they are now?

I absolutely do.

I'd like to see the guy now and say... Hey!! Look what you did to my River Boat!!! : )

No, but seriously... I 'have' thought that... and on more than one occasion.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

That logic would also require every game to be repainted though right? If it went past the fungible definition of normal wear?
Car analogy doesn't really work...people don't write on cars typically...they do write on arcade/vending. Actually, a high score scratched in or a little art on a pinball could be considered the equivalent of car "patina".
Either you like it or you don't...this isn't a right or wrong issue. I watch some of those antique/collector shows and some of the stuff people buy I wouldn't cross the street to get...but they like it.
Either way, if the game has been repainted in that area and then the pictures scratched in--that takes away from the originality factor if that side doesn't match the rest of the game...

No, it wouldn't require every game to be repainted. I'm differentiating between wear and tear on a game as part of the normal use, against someone just deliberately screwing around with it like in this case.

I've already stated that I'm fine with original games that have some bumps and bruises due to normal wear and tear of them being on location. I own a couple like that. I dont like the high scores carved into the head but I could even be persuaded that it's part of the playing history of the game.

What was done on this game has nothing at all to do with the playing history of the game. They could have drawn Lee and Grant at Appomattox and I'd think the same thing-it has nothing to do with the game at all.

Like I asked before, would you think it was cool if that was drawn on the side of your house?

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Like I asked before, would you think it was cool if that was drawn on the side of your house?

I think you're getting just a little crazy with this. To me, it kind of shows history. The game is a survivor and has been out in the wild for 40+ years. It has stories and character, and to me its not quite the same thing as the vandalism analogy that keeps getting posed.

Here is the pic of one of the video games I was referring to. I ended up redoing the panel, but played it like this for a month. It came from a shore town and I wish it could talk!

cpstart.jpgcpstart.jpg

#57 8 years ago

Unles it's on the playfield, backglass or front of the head you really can't see it when you are playing.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

would you think it was cool if that was drawn on the side of your house?

right...same thing....my house

#59 8 years ago

Love the graffitti, would leave it alone........adds something to the pinball, besides, those EM's can use all the enhancement they can get because they're way more fun than playing 'em!!!

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

they're way more fun than playing 'em!!!

Who's they lone ranger?

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Who's they lone ranger?

I think he's trying to say that looking at EMs is more fun than playing them.
Ignorance is bliss I guess.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Yeah, but he's got a Baywatch!

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, but he's got a Baywatch!

I noticed... I almost let it slide because of that.

#64 8 years ago

We are all looking for is the right patina on older machines. Enough that it looks cool, demonstrates it was used and loved along the way. But not too much that it looks like a piece of junk. Like on an old car, some faded paint adds character, but a rusty fender connotes something else.

That's why some of these pics are interesting, like high scores or phone numbers from when a machine was on route, or a little wear, where you expect it, etc.

One thing about the right patina is, it doesn't distract from what the object is or how people expect it to look.

What you have here is a distraction that has nothing to do with the pin or the theme on the pin, or the colors, or anything. It looks like it was painted by kids in the basement because they were bored since the pinball machine didn't work.

I voted to paint it over.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not really cool, but over the top.Card Trix 007.JPG Card Trix 009.JPG Card Trix 008.JPG

Really... Could George actually score over 600,000 points?? Seems almost unbelievable.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

One thing about the right patina is, it doesn't distract from what the object is or how people expect it to look.
What you have here is a distraction that has nothing to do with the pin or the theme on the pin, or the colors, or anything. It looks like it was painted by kids in the basement because they were bored since the pinball machine didn't work.
I voted to paint it over.

Maybe he could track down George Leary, who'd probably be about 55-60 by now and see if he wants to buy it for enough money to get another one in better shape.

In all seriousness, the white paint can probably be removed with some goof off and the blunt end of a plastic knife. It might not even need a repaint. In the end, I don't think it makes much difference either way.

When I get a chance, I'll try to dig up some pictures I took of a Bank a Ball machine I restored that was completely covered over in cheap broken ceramic parts of figurines at some point by someone that was probably on some serious drugs.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

I think he's trying to say that looking at EMs is more fun than playing them.

Maybe he meant that 'looking' at EM's... was more fun than 'playing' solid-states.

Oooooo, ouch! Did *I* say that?? hahaha

#68 8 years ago

Interesting thread. I think it comes down to personal preference or if the value of the game is increased.

My thinking is if Mick Jagger wrote on it or signed it then the value would be higher and if I scratched a heart in the game with my name and sweetheart name at an arcade then later married my sweetheart and bought that game then I'd want to keep it as is.

#69 8 years ago

Hahaha!!! Don't mess with the Hoff! I meant, they need all the decoration they can get, graffitti or otherwise 'cause they look wonderful, but playing them? Not so much, Just some friendly razzing!!

Guess that one fell flat, that'll teach me to write from work so late in the very loooong day!!!

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Maybe he meant that 'looking' at EM's... was more fun than 'playing' solid-states.
Oooooo, ouch! Did *I* say that?? hahaha

hahaha. At least them thar rampy games dagnabbit. Now git off my lawn!

#71 8 years ago

otherwise 'cause they look wonderful, but playing them? Not so much, Just some friendly razzing!!

Oh, you have to be careful ribbing us EM guys. Were all old and cranky.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Oh, you have to be careful ribbing us EM guys.

Besides the fact there have been extensive threads detailing how it is possible(gasp!) to like BOTH...(mind blows up).

#73 8 years ago

Wickerman2, I've tried, I really have - but I have a feeling that trying them at shows isn't the best way - they probably aren't set up nicely or in the best playing condition (hell, you cann say that about most ALL the games at show, but that's another thread......) - I would welcome someone turning my opinon around, but for now........I guess it's what you grow up with, I was around for the SS craze when Volcano and Haunted House, Bride of Pinbot were the arcade stars.......

#74 8 years ago

That's alright, we don't need everyone to love them as much as we do. There is only so much room in the pool you know.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

it is possible(gasp!) to like BOTH...(mind blows up).

I do like them all, but the newer games lose a lot of their luster and rarely get played once you get a nice assortment of quality EMs. I was looking at the EMs I have now and realized it is going to be very hard to upgrade from here on out.

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

There is only so much room in the pool you know.

I've tried but I just can't get the same feeling for a SS that I get for these old EM machines. Especially when they're all shined up and look like new.

I hope there's enough room in the pool for me.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

I've tried but I just can't get the same feeling for a SS that I get for these old EM machines.

Those were my exact words in 1978. They didn't have any feeling. However after the last EMs disappeared there really was no other pinball to play beside solid state where I was at. But guess what.... they're back!

#78 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But guess what.... they're back!

So is the pup I see.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

So is the pup I see.

THE DOG IS BACK !!!!!

#80 8 years ago

Someone had a great post about that graffitti with all the band members looking like something done by bored teens, and not really "matching" the expected graffitti of high scores, names, etc. That's a spot-on observation, that drawing would have ended up anywhere there was a smooth place available, and the pinball just happened to offer the space. I like the idea of creating the side graphics on a thin piece of board so you can cover the side and still have the graffitti there just to show as a piece of interest.

As for the EM's, they will never be equalled for their artistic merit, the SS machines cannot hold a candle to that aspect of pinball - the artwork is truly amazing and something to be enjoyed. For that I love them........

#81 8 years ago

As for the EM's, they will never be equalled for their artistic merit, the SS machines cannot hold a candle to that aspect of pinball - the artwork is truly amazing and something to be enjoyed. For that I love them........

What he said!

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

I think it is if there a name date along with it

Photograph or scan the images. Save the images, as photos and keep them in the restoration album or log of your pin. Then repair the cabinet and repaint. It is not from any known artist, is it? Most likely not. Now if that was from the hand of John Lennon, or Frank Zappa that would be a completely different story.

#83 8 years ago

Sssssllllaaasyyyeeeerrrrr!!!!image.jpgimage.jpg

#85 8 years ago

Slayer???? Really????????? Megadeth would be better...........

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not really cool, but over the top.

That's actually quite cool (IMHO), a least on the face of the wedge, like a history of the machine. The sides not so cool.

#87 8 years ago

I had a Solar City and you could see faintly in pen on the front someone wrote their high score and someone else wrote 'bullshit' next to it.

#88 8 years ago

I'd say leave it. Or scan it and hang as wall art for the game room. I know that doesn't really help you but, you should preserve it somehow.

#89 8 years ago

This LA Gang Graffiti seems fitting for a gun game.
Been around this tagging crap for too long when I can make sense of it also.
It reads Octane ACSK vs 175th Street, which might seem nostalgic if street gangs become extinct.
But I won't hold my breath for that...
Cab.jpgCab.jpg

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

This LA Gang Graffiti seems fitting for a gun game.
Been around this tagging crap for too long when I can make sense of it also.
It reads Octane ACSK vs 175th Street, which might seem nostalgic if street gangs become extinct.
But I won't hold my breath for that...
Cab.jpg

I see enough o' that bull manure around... spray painted on the city walls.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

I recently acquired a 1964 Gottlieb Bowling Queen with some really neat "graffiti" covering one side of the cabinet. It's dated '74/'75 and is titled Dream Band 1975 and features drawings of '70's musicians

I reviewed the drawings and I'm speaking from a cartoonist/artist's perspective here.

They're very amateurish ugly school kid type scrawlings that would be tossed in the waste basket with a note to keep practicing and work on perspective.

I vote to do the same with the ones on the game.

#92 8 years ago

i was hoping to find stuff like this in the thread...........btw are there any cool Graffiti stickers out there?

ce3nLix4Cfqg.jpgce3nLix4Cfqg.jpg

1 week later
#93 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Car collectors like original cars with patina. That doesn't mean they're going to let sit a 1953 Corvette that has "Yo mama" spray painted on the side.

I take it you saw that same Craigslist ad too?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cool-cab-graffiti/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.