fhink.jpg
HighScores6.jpg
HighScores7.jpg
HighScores5.jpg
300-1.jpg
Card_Trix_009.jpg
Card_Trix_008.jpg
Card_Trix_007.jpg
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

I recently acquired a 1964 Gottlieb Bowling Queen with some really neat "graffiti" covering one side of the cabinet. It's dated '74/'75 and is titled Dream Band 1975 and features drawings of '70's musicians...original plan was to remove it but I am thinking I will preserve it...opinions? I don't know if a similar thread exists but I would like to see other interesting cab "enhancements" from back in the day, 20150628_155908.jpg20150628_155908.jpg20150628_155852.jpg20150628_155852.jpg20150628_155844.jpg20150628_155844.jpg20150628_160004.jpg20150628_160004.jpg20150628_160008.jpg20150628_160008.jpg20150628_160011.jpg20150628_160011.jpg20150628_160019.jpg20150628_160019.jpgso feel free to post photos of yours!

#2 8 years ago

Gonzo as soon as I could do it.

#3 8 years ago

I posted these on a Facebook group and the overwhelming opinion was to preserve it

#4 8 years ago

Not really cool, but over the top.Card Trix 007.JPGCard Trix 007.JPGCard Trix 009.JPGCard Trix 009.JPGCard Trix 008.JPGCard Trix 008.JPG

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

I recently acquired a 1964 Gottlieb Bowling Queen with some really neat "graffiti" covering one side of the cabinet. It's dated '74/'75 and is titled Dream Band 1975 and features drawings of '70's musicians...original plan was to remove it but I am thinking I will preserve it...opinions? I don't know if a similar thread exists but I would like to see other interesting cab "enhancements" from back in the day, 20150628_155908.jpg 20150628_155852.jpg 20150628_155844.jpg 20150628_160004.jpg 20150628_160008.jpg 20150628_160011.jpg 20150628_160019.jpg so feel free to post photos of yours!

That's history... I would clear over it to preserve.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

That's history... I would clear over it to preserve.

Using that logic, no game would ever get restored as it's all history.

Water damaged cab? Hey, it's part of the history of the game. Someone took a crow bar to the front door? More history. Broken backglass? Same thing.

If someone put that on the side of your house, would you just leave it there?

That might be interesting to me if it was on a crapper wall. Other than that, no.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

I recently acquired a 1964 Gottlieb Bowling Queen with some really neat "graffiti" covering one side of the cabinet. It's dated '74/'75 and is titled Dream Band 1975 and features drawings of '70's musicians...original plan was to remove it but I am thinking I will preserve it...opinions? I don't know if a similar thread exists but I would like to see other interesting cab "enhancements" from back in the day, 20150628_155908.jpg 20150628_155852.jpg 20150628_155844.jpg 20150628_160004.jpg 20150628_160008.jpg 20150628_160011.jpg 20150628_160019.jpg so feel free to post photos of yours!

It would be great to keep in some way but, in my opinion, not on the machine

#8 8 years ago

Scan it and make a wall hanging.

#9 8 years ago

That's cool as far as crap you find on a game goes...

#10 8 years ago

That is awesome!
I would NEVER remove that.
E

#11 8 years ago

On a "300" that I just got.

300-1.jpg300-1.jpg

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

That is awesome!
I would NEVER remove that.
E

Can we come over and scribble on your games then?

#13 8 years ago

It would probably make them look better!

#14 8 years ago

I would not be able to repaint that crap fast enough

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Scan it and make a wall hanging.

This is a great idea.

#16 8 years ago

Tough call for me, I like that kind of stuff. I was torn on replacing control panel overlays on my video games that were burned up by cigarettes resting on them... Thats the way I remember them.

At the very least, I'd take great pictures of it and restore the cabinet. When I first looked at it, I thought the Mick Jagger "costume" was from much later than the date on the art, like Start Me Up era. I looked it up, and sure enough there are pics from him wearing that goofy getup in 1973. Pretty cool!

#17 8 years ago

Add a poll...did you plan on restoring the game 100%? If not, I would keep....what else are you going to do? OF COURSE the guys that repaint every single game they get to make it look like it is in a factory showroom are going to hate it...if that's you, repaint, if not, it's a great piece of history/folk art...people pay money for that stuff.

#18 8 years ago

That's a... you pick 'em... there.

I personally don't like graffiti on my games.

I had to have some 'cosmetic surgery' done to my River Boat to get rid of some. However, I have some small initials carved in the face of the head on my Sky Line. I 'might'...'might' leave it there, because it is very small and done rather neatly. But I certainly could have 'lived' without it.

The other on River Boat looked like chicken scratchin' that some 1st grader did, couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

#19 8 years ago

My Jet Spin was formerly the "neighborhood machine" in a suburban rec room and area kids would write their high scores on the backbox. I took some photos before refinishing the cabinet.

HighScores5.jpgHighScores5.jpgHighScores7.jpgHighScores7.jpgHighScores6.jpgHighScores6.jpg

#20 8 years ago

Jim was a proud man that day.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Add a poll...did you plan on restoring the game 100%? If not, I would keep....what else are you going to do? OF COURSE the guys that repaint every single game they get to make it look like it is in a factory showroom are going to hate it...if that's you, repaint, if not, it's a great piece of history/folk art...people pay money for that stuff.

I repaint them when they need repainting. Some of them have been repainted, others haven't. I'm not averse to originality one bit. Truthfully, I'd rather have them in nice original condition, it's way less work.

But this isn't originality. That's not how the game came from Gottlieb.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Can we come over and scribble on your games then?

Oh yeah....bring some beer!

#23 8 years ago

Scratched in scores and names are common as dirt, saving them doesn't make sense. This 'graffitti folk art' is a bunch more rare (but not neccessarily valuable). I wonder what folk art collectors would say vs. pinball collectors. Could there be a folk art collector that thinks this is the coolest thing since sliced bread and night baseball? "It's a shame that this fantastic art piece is weighed down by some worthless old mechanical game..."

A scan would be a record, but would not preserve any value the art piece has.
That being said, my opinion (as a world renouned folk art collector - check my EM cabinets) is: The piece of 'art' has minimal value as folk art. Your call. If you want to remove it, take some pics and then get the stripper.

Don C.

#24 8 years ago

How bout some playfield graffiti

--Jeff
fhink.jpgfhink.jpg

#25 8 years ago

I like original paint even if rough. I only did one repaint because someone covered the entire can in adhesive vinyl and it pulled alot of paint off with it.

#26 8 years ago

This is on the side of a Four Seasons I got recently.. going to leave it there, no reason to eliminate it.
4s.png4s.png

#27 8 years ago

Leave it!6458972633_9071be9e51.jpg6458972633_9071be9e51.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Fireball2 thats awesome!

#29 8 years ago

Maybe a thin piece of laminate with the correct art could be attached in a way to cover and preserve the "folk" art. Magnetic tape and / or Velcro?

#30 8 years ago

Do a Google image search for pee chee artwork or pee chee graffiti.
I so remember those days of pee chee mayhem. I spent awhile reliving my youth checking out the pee chees.
I wish I'd kept some of mine... or not let Mom throw them out.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinbee:

Maybe a thin piece of laminate with the correct art could be attached in a way to cover and preserve the "folk" art. Magnetic tape and / or Velcro?

Cool idea, but it's side art. If he's got 15 machines, nobody's going to see it anyway unless he pulls it out of the lineup. I think it'd be cool to be able to say, "Check this out," and pull it out. Yeah, Mick looked like that.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

If he's got 15 machines, nobody's going to see it anyway unless he pulls it out of the lineup.

Exactly...you see the side of 1 or 2 of your machines usually.

#33 8 years ago

I passed on a re-import WH2O years ago (the only WH2O in that container shipment) that had swasikas carved into all the exterior cabinet faces.

Still looking for a game with a phone number added and "for a good time call..."

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Exactly...you see the side of 1 or 2 of your machines usually.

I'm with you...I would leave it as is. Just trying to think of something that would be the best of both worlds.

#35 8 years ago

My 4 Square is at the bottom of some steps, and as I walk down the steps I see someones name and score gouged into the top of the game. It always gives me a bit of a smile. There is a history to most of these games. They were in bars, arcades, laundromats, and all over the place. And somewhere along the way a guy was so proud of the score that he put it there forever. If I ever sell that game I might even get stupid and carve my high score into it. But for now I'll be content to write it in dry erase marker on the glass

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

My Jet Spin was formerly the "neighborhood machine" in a suburban rec room and area kids would write their high scores on the backbox. I took some photos before refinishing the cabinet.
HighScores5.jpg HighScores7.jpg HighScores6.jpg

Krud Kutter will clean that off. Looks like a nice original cabinet to save.

#37 8 years ago

I'd keep it if it was particularly well done, but I'm not crazy about that work. Unless you know the people signing the art?

Here is my entry, and yes, I did repaint. Damn you Zel & Mel!!

post.jpgpost.jpg

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

I posted these on a Facebook group and the overwhelming opinion was to preserve it

Totally agreed. I'd preserve that for sure. You might even find someone who'd want the machine just for the graffitti in that instance. What kind of impresses me is that someone had the time to do that and not get caught.

I usually leave graffiti alone on the pins unless it is something vile. I like the look of the cabinets in their original state. I only touch up chips, scratches and dings. Stuff written on in pen or marker gets mean greened off unless I like it.

#39 8 years ago

No way. There is cool and there is not cool. This is not cool. Sand it down and stencil as close to factory as possible.

#40 8 years ago

It truly was an all star band back in the 70s. With Rod Stewart as "The nose".

#41 8 years ago

Pete Townsend got shafted on that theme. Scrub, sand, fill and repaint that blasphemy.

#42 8 years ago

It's funny how polarizing this graffiti is. I'm conflicted myself. I think I like it better than some of the super bright white heavily webbed repaints.

#43 8 years ago

we had a fire that stated "James sucks d*ck" lucky it was on the underside

#44 8 years ago

True love on a GTB Pro Football cab - the romance has since ended

PFhelcl.jpgPFhelcl.jpg

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

True love on a GTB Pro Football cab - the romance has since ended
PFhelcl.jpg

Ha... "the romance has since ended" I 'like' it!

#46 8 years ago

don't you guys ever look at the graffiti and wonder where they are now?

#47 8 years ago

Not seeing the cool factor.
The art isn't that good.
I vote get rid of it.

#48 8 years ago

I am really surprised at the vastly different opinions on the subject.Part of the appeal of the older games for me is their history, where they have been, what they have seen and survived...I like the "snapshot" of the time when they were still a big part of our culture. To me removing all evidence of that is a shame. From the looks of this game in particular though, this artwork was probably done after it was off route...the whole side was painted white and then the art applied. I cant see that being done in a bowling alley or arcade so I am less excited about it in terms of its back story.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

HighScores5.jpg HighScores7.jpg HighScores6.jpg

High scores scratched into a game? How interesting.

#50 8 years ago

I think it is if there a name date along with it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cool-cab-graffiti/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.