Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Robotoes
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-2.jpg
orbitor1_plexi.jpg
blackwater3.jpg
image-22.jpg
image.jpg
elektra_I5u.jpg
qbert_pf.jpg
image-1.jpg
image-15.jpg
4x4playfield.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I was browsing through some photos of older games today and saw quite a few interesting layouts, like asymmetrical flippers, that you don't really see anymore - all modern games use the same lower layout.

So, I thought it would be interesting to post examples of cool and different layouts from the past that people like.

For example, Atari had some really creative ideas going on - 4X4 is kinda cool.

4x4playfield.jpg

#2 4 years ago

F-14

Nothing else like it.

#3 4 years ago

4x4 does have some neat ideas.

I love that the derp on eBay that sells "fuse kits" has one for 4x4 - a machine with a production run of 2. And that he has 10 kits available.

#4 4 years ago

I know it gets bashed a lot for its cheesy translite, but Gold Wings has an interesting layout - offset flippers, pop bumper near the bottom of the playfield, no traditional outlanes, and a 360-degree loop.

#5 4 years ago

Gold Wings

EDIT: dang it, beat me! Ok, I'll add Spy Hunter

#6 4 years ago

For modern Sterns, Wheel of Fortune is the one that I think deviates from the norm the most.

#7 4 years ago

CSI feels very different to me especially as a Stern.

#8 4 years ago

I find Bally's Bon Voyage to be a great layout and very different from most games of it's time.

image-15.jpg

#9 4 years ago

Space Invaders always freaks me out when I play it.

image-1.jpg
#10 4 years ago

Q-Bert

qbert_pf.jpg

#11 4 years ago

Whoa! never played that one. WILD!

#12 4 years ago

Can't forget Elektra...since I owned it once. 3 levels, 6 flippers, curved lanes from the slings. Ridiculous cool!

elektra_I5u.jpg

#13 4 years ago

image.jpg
#14 4 years ago

Rocky is different. Trudeau designed a bunch of fun original layouts at Gottlieb/Premier.
image-22.jpg

#15 4 years ago

blackwater3.jpg

Blackwater 100, definitely different.

#16 4 years ago

orbitor1_plexi.jpg
Orbitor 1, another game that is totally different.

#17 4 years ago

The hard part is making them diff'rent & fun to play! Games like Blackwater & Orbitor are complete dogs. Stargazer horribly boring too.

Tough to do for sure.

Having said that, Blackwater was the first one I thought of.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

Blackwater 100, definitely different.

blackwater3.jpg 463 KB

I really like Blackwater. It was supposed to have a pop in the lower left I believe.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I find Bally's Bon Voyage to be a great layout and very different from most games of it's time.

image-15.jpg 273 KB

nudging for that 3000 shot looks like fun!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

nudging for that 3000 shot looks like fun!

It's a fun game! That 3000 shot takes just the right amount of power from the left flipper to drop it in that shot and back to the shooter. Hitting it to the top of that lane to get the BON,VOY, and AGE when lit 5000 shot is very challenging as well. But the spinner is the "fun" shot. The captive ball special is the money shot.

#21 4 years ago

So the spinner cycles through the lit value for the saucer? looks like a blast...

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

So the spinner cycles through the lit value for the saucer? looks like a blast...

Yep and when it lands on 5000 it lights one of the targets up that right lane. Ripping the spinner can also send the ball thru the upper right rollover lane. Completing all the letters on the center of the playfield lights special. Hitting the captive ball special then resets everything. Everybody that comes over loves this game.

#23 4 years ago

also, goin nuts

image-2.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 19.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside