Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Otaku
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10410116_10205808180752228_515025498252218007_n_(resized).jpg
    46a52d5d3eaf3ebf9bc3ec8784926ae90552ad31_(resized).png
    B_(resized).jpg
    D_(resized).jpg
    12814691_10205808181832255_8641167838509111415_n_(resized).jpg
    airport-otaku_(resized).jpg
    12729160_10205657079494791_7443861026813115161_n_(resized).jpg
    WP_20150207_001_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge3_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge2_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge1a_(resized).jpg
    DSCN4176_(resized).JPG
    DSCN4175_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    CS_(resized).JPG
    pong_cabbig-web_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#197 8 years ago

First word, "Fireball", better than 99% of all DMD games.
    Go find one, and play it.
    I think you will find this "grand daddy" of pinball machines to have more features than most subpar later model machines.
    Fireball sample machine #1015.
    http://marcustrevino.com/pinball/FIREBALL/FIREBALL.html
    Good luck with the spinner, it drives some people insane.
    If a person actually knows how to play pinball, they will figure out how to avoid this "trap".

Second word, "Knockout" still better than most DMD games.
    Makes Stern's WWE look like it has its pants arounds its ankles getting spanked the whole time.
    Try to find one, and play it (this one is a bit trickier to locate).
    There is one on Ebay right now for $10k.
    It is as rare as a Chinese panda, but not that rare in cost (It should be $3500-4000 in superb+ condition).
    Most have turned to dust, as they were popular during their lifetime.
    ebay.com link: itm

Third word, "Cheaper", you can buy 6-8 quality EMs for the cost of one late model pinball machine.
    (Whoa Nellie does not count as it is an overpriced turd and a "hybrid" not an actual EM pinball machine).

Fourth word, "Reliable", once properly serviced, as there is nothing "hidden" in terms of electronics.
    However, EMs must be PLAYED REGULARLY, to maintain proper operation.
    As you are an electrical engineer and find these machines difficult to repair, I am a little confused here?
    Did I miss something?
    Granted the word "mechanical" implies physical understanding of assemblies and components, but every pinball machine is like this in terms of design.

Fifth and sixth words, "Not Slow".
    Put a 2x4 underneath the rear legs and jack the game in the air with the rear casters.
    Lower the front casters to the floor.
    If the game only uses one ball, add a TZ ceramic powerball for even more speed.
    Very few EMs used magnets for any type gameplay, I would have to look up the few that did (later games).
    Adjust the tilt bob or disconnect it.
    Problem solved, 10-15 second individual balls.
    "Challenge time."

Seventh word, "Art", all games have original hand drawn artwork, not Photoshop digitized garbage.
    The amount of quality artwork in new pinball machines is getting more scarce for cost reasons, license reasons, and just plain laziness.
    Metallica was superb and original.
    SMVE was excellent, but recycled from existing comic book artwork, WTF Stern...

Eighth word, "Furniture", they make awesome coffee tables.
    You can even design then to work as cocktail games, score reels modified and mounted.

Ninth and tenth words, "Animated Backglasses", all the best pinball machines that use them are EMs.
    This includes pitch and bat games as they fall into the "quasi" EM pinball category.

Eleventh word, "Challenge", a good EM takes years to master not understand how to play.
    There is a HUGE difference in meaning of both these statements.
    Completely different playstyle and fundamental skills need to be highly polished, if you want to keep the ball in play.

This is enough for me, if they are not interesting or too complicated for you then stick with what you know.

Someday you may change your mind.
    My estimates are around 10 years or so.

Most importantly find one that works correctly, clean, and regularly serviced, not some beat up pile of junk.
    Bottom line is not everyone that likes them are "old farts" sitting in corners.

#198 8 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Despite some worthless sass, when I return home, I'm going to spend some serious time at Logan Arcade and hop on their EM's. Thanks for the kind words and thoughtful guidance from those who provided!
    As for buying one, no titles really stick out at me outside of Gorgar, Centaur, and other bad ass titles. But seeing as I'm addicted to craigslist and collecting, we'll see what pops up!

Um, Gorgar and Centaur are not EMs...
    Did I miss something again?
    ???

#208 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's another thing. When you can find a HUO game that is almost 50 years old....

It happens more than you think.
    Owners pass on, and estate sales come up.
    Then surprise, a game that has been sitting in a person's house for 50 years.
    I have machines that have been with me for over 25+ years alone, and many others as well.

#229 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not ready to say Fireball is better, but I would say it's harder than 99% of DMDs. I think most home DMD owners would be very frustrated by it.
    Well that's not saying much with WWE but I get your point

I was comparing to Knockout (Gottlieb, 1950) to Stern's WWE, partially due to the poorly implemented ring feature in WWE.
    WWE's ring is just a bad gimmick.
    Knockout although straightforward being able to keep the ball in ball for high score is TOUGH with central outhole area between the flippers, and is gigantic in comparison to modern machines (holds five balls side by side).
    Getting knockouts is just so damn satisfying, if you know the bumpers and lanes.

Fireball is just a completely different category in terms of gameplay overall.
    Yes, Fireball can be frustrating as hell, because you really need to know the shots, activation buttons (how they activate the zipper flippers and gates), and overall features, not to mention the 2 inch flippers that take a bit of getting used to from DMD games.
    People just throw up their hands and say, "this game is impossible" (the WTF factor with the spinning disk), until you explain the features.
    Then many enthusiasts go, "oh, now I understand", and they have a much better time with a *few* less drains (and hopefully stop batting the ball around without a bit of consideration).
    Might even get a few skill shots too...yay, 3000 points!

#237 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

When we were kids that is way most arcades had them set up. Rear legs set as high as possible, with the fronts all the way in. We would get a few match books to raise the fronts before playing.

I guess this is "lost experience" now for some?
    I keep getting irritated by new collectors who say games are "too slow", when the problem is easily corrected.
    It is not quantum physics, it is just being used as an feeble excuse to not understand or like games.
    I always say, "explore your options and you may be surprised".

The only other thing you need to watch when doing this change is the tilt assemblies, or they can make the game unplayable if the game "locks out".
    The plumb bob needs to be lowered or removed.

#241 8 years ago

I don't disagree, but in many cases there is no way to relocate center the tilt bracket without tapping new holes, if the angle is too steep after raising the rear legs to the full height of the 3" casters.
    A 2X4 with full rear casters is over 11+ degrees.
    I don't like drilling new holes personally, if the is no "wiggle room", and the plumb bob bracket is mounted directly on the cabinet interior.
    I just lower it slightly, and it still can activate.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convince-me-why-i-should-get-into-ems?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.