3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Otaku
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 44 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

10410116_10205808180752228_515025498252218007_n_(resized).jpg
    46a52d5d3eaf3ebf9bc3ec8784926ae90552ad31_(resized).png
    B_(resized).jpg
    D_(resized).jpg
    12814691_10205808181832255_8641167838509111415_n_(resized).jpg
    airport-otaku_(resized).jpg
    12729160_10205657079494791_7443861026813115161_n_(resized).jpg
    WP_20150207_001_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge3_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge2_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge1a_(resized).jpg
    DSCN4176_(resized).JPG
    DSCN4175_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    CS_(resized).JPG
    pong_cabbig-web_(resized).jpg

There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 years ago

It's pinball! There are a ton of great EM games, with charm that's unmatched by newer games. Plus, they tend to be less expensive than newer games.

Layouts free of ramps that feed the ball back to an inlane make you focus more on ball control, present a different sort of challenge, and will make you a better player.

#202 3 years ago

Played this at a party last nite. One game was enough.

image_(resized).jpeg

#203 3 years ago

What are some circus/sideshow/carnival/amusement park or art deco themed EM's? And of these, are there any with the 3 inch flippers (my preference).

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

What are some circus/sideshow/carnival/amusement park or art deco themed EM's?

I just picked up a HUO Fun Park, and although it has two inch flippers (my preference) it is a kick in the ass to play.

#205 3 years ago

Fun Park
    (sorry, the glass isn't coming off until it has to)

DSCN4175_(resized).JPG

DSCN4176_(resized).JPG

#206 3 years ago

That Fun Park looks amazing!!

#207 3 years ago

That's another thing. When you can find a HUO game that is almost 50 years old....

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's another thing. When you can find a HUO game that is almost 50 years old....

It happens more than you think.
    Owners pass on, and estate sales come up.
    Then surprise, a game that has been sitting in a person's house for 50 years.
    I have machines that have been with me for over 25+ years alone, and many others as well.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It happens more than you think.

Yeah, I had a HUO EM Joker Poker for a while. That game was fast! At the end some EMS were fully DC rectified and that was one of them. It moved on though, and I don't mind games that have some wear and tear but I like having a nice playfield and backglass.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

I don't know why these discussions often devolve into an "either/or" scenario. Markmon's comments in this thread make it clear that he does not understand the EM sensibility. Based on post #165, he also doesn't understand sarcasm. Sorry Markmon. You set yourself up for that one. :>

I couldn't agree more with ZNET. A lot of Pinsiders bash on EM games, or throw out the either/or argument. Why can't you have both EM and SS/DMD's in your collection? I always have. As I said in my earlier post, and I'm sure odin will back this up...it's great to have a choice in your gameroom. Sometimes I wonder into mine because I only have a few minutes, and that is definitely when I jump on an EM. You can't play a 5 minute game on BF, BSD or many SS or DMD games. Someone else above said it best...if you have a ball last for 2 or 5 minutes, it feels like a major accomplishment. EM games are not VERY forgiving.

My take on why certain pinballers bash EM games, say they are "trash" or not worth anything...because they are dumb asses. They must be impervious to the fact that without Humpty Dumpty (at least moving into the era of the flippers) or any subsequent EM game designed and manufactured, the industry and hobby would have never evolved into the solid state or DMD era. So without EM games, they wouldn't have their exciting line up of blindly-LED'd, boring, generic, similarly-laid out and crappy Stern games like Avengers, Iron Man and Spider-Man.

Not that I totally hate those games, I would buy ONE of them for the right price, as my line-up is always a little diversified. However, I don't need to pay $16k for what is essentially 3 of the exact same DMD game, with the only differences being a different tiny ramp, a different PF toy and different artwork.

I have an IM at my shop, which I play all the time. I have to say...the game gets boring quick, it is built cheaply and just doesn't hold my excitement. On the other hand, I can play several games in a row on my BH, and even backing it up to my Hokus Pokus EM for purposes of this thread, without getting bored at all. I love all games of all eras, so just my thoughts.

#211 3 years ago

Just go out and buy one. Hell...they aren't that expensive.
    Roll up your sleeves get out the Novus and heat up your soldering iron.
    Have fun and decide for yourself if EMs are for you.

#212 3 years ago

"Convince Me Why I Should Get Into EM's"

Because they are easy to stack 30+ machines on top of each other on one wall.

WallofWedge1a_(resized).jpg

WallofWedge2_(resized).jpg

WallofWedge3_(resized).jpg

#213 3 years ago

I want everything in that room

#214 3 years ago

Odin is just copying me.
    I get a fun land he gets a fun park
    i get a Capt Kidd he gets a Capt Kidd. (fun game btw)
    I get a Cinderella he gets an Ali Baba

Imitation is the sincerest form of Flattery.
    -Jeff

Here is an obligatory EM pic. This game will kick your ass

WP_20150207_001_(resized).jpg

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Odin is just copying me.
    I get a fun land he gets a fun park
    i get a Capt Kidd he gets a Capt Kidd. (fun game btw)
    I get a Cinderella he gets an Ali Baba
    Imitation is the sincerest form of Flattery.
    -Jeff

I may be getting a nice Heat Wave . Don't tell me you just got one of those too!

#216 3 years ago

First word, "Fireball", better than 99% of all DMD games.
    Go find one, and play it.

Makes Stern's WWE look like it has its pants arounds its ankles getting spanked the whole time.

I'm not ready to say Fireball is better, but I would say it's harder than 99% of DMDs. I think most home DMD owners would be very frustrated by it.

Well that's not saying much with WWE but I get your point

#217 3 years ago

Looks like I'm not the only one collecting wedgeheads. Great investment and can be easily stored.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I may be getting a nice Heat Wave . Don't tell me you just got one of those too!

Give me an hour or so

-Jeff

#219 3 years ago

Theme. Theme. Theme.
    Nostalgia. Nostalgia. Nostalgia.

People will "try" and make cases using logic for why one era has better games than another -- it's completely irrelevant. When it comes to decision-making, emotion (feeling) always trumps logic (ideas), and whatever nostalgia is pulling you to a certain era in time ... that's what you'll collect.

Collect the games from eras that 'call to you', and use logic all you want to help you decide what's best -- your emotions will win every time.

-mof

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I may be getting a nice Heat Wave

You will not regret it, great pingame.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Collect the games from eras that 'call to you', and use logic all you want to help you decide what's best -- your emotions will win every time.
    -mof

I don't really agree with that. Just bought a FG & Royal Flush that have nothing to do with an emotional connection.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

You will not regret it, great pingame.

Cool! I just sold Twister to make room. "Every body under ground now!"

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Cool! I just sold Twister to make room. "Every body under ground now!"

Congrats!

And getting rid of that piece of shit.

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't really agree with that. Just bought a FG & Royal Flush that have nothing to do with an emotional connection.

True. I grew up playing EMs in the 70s and I now have zero desire to own any from that decade. The ones I have now I had never seen before. I study the geometry and artwork from what is available online to decide what I want and then go after it. Haven't missed yet.

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Congrats!
    And getting rid of that piece of shit.

Thanks. We had a lot of fun with it and guests still like it, but it came time for it to go...

#226 3 years ago

If you are looking for advice. The best advice I can give is this:

Keep exploring. Know thyself.

Play EMs wherever you can, and discover what makes them special and unique.
    What era of EMs do you like most? Why?
    Keep a short list of the titles you like.

Over time, you may find a pattern (for me it was 1976 and space-themed), and there may be a few you'd like to have. Until you discover this on your own, what anyone suggests you collect is poor advice.

Will I ever make room in my 1980s collection for a 1976 EM? Unlikely, but I look forward to playing more titles from that era when they pop up, and that's fun.

Maybe I'll get a chance to baby-sit a 1976 EM and over time, I'll discover I need one in the line-up. Who knows?

-mof

#228 3 years ago

Hey mof,
    are you anywhere near to this one?

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not ready to say Fireball is better, but I would say it's harder than 99% of DMDs. I think most home DMD owners would be very frustrated by it.
    Well that's not saying much with WWE but I get your point

I was comparing to Knockout (Gottlieb, 1950) to Stern's WWE, partially due to the poorly implemented ring feature in WWE.
    WWE's ring is just a bad gimmick.
    Knockout although straightforward being able to keep the ball in ball for high score is TOUGH with central outhole area between the flippers, and is gigantic in comparison to modern machines (holds five balls side by side).
    Getting knockouts is just so damn satisfying, if you know the bumpers and lanes.

Fireball is just a completely different category in terms of gameplay overall.
    Yes, Fireball can be frustrating as hell, because you really need to know the shots, activation buttons (how they activate the zipper flippers and gates), and overall features, not to mention the 2 inch flippers that take a bit of getting used to from DMD games.
    People just throw up their hands and say, "this game is impossible" (the WTF factor with the spinning disk), until you explain the features.
    Then many enthusiasts go, "oh, now I understand", and they have a much better time with a *few* less drains (and hopefully stop batting the ball around without a bit of consideration).
    Might even get a few skill shots too...yay, 3000 points!

#230 3 years ago

Did I mention how fun that Fun Park is to play? I seem to like the oddball titles that aren't the most popular. But I'm having more fun playing it than I did some of the higher rated wedgeheads I had owned. Ripping those spinners is not as easy as it looks. And hit them right and the ball goes back to the top. I think on this one I'm glad I went with the add a ball.

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Did I mention how fun that Fun Park is to play? I seem to like the oddball titles that aren't the most popular. But I'm having more fun playing it than I did some of the higher rated wedgeheads I had owned. Ripping those spinners is not as easy as it looks. And hit them right and the ball goes back to the top. I think on this one I'm glad I went with the add a ball.

My first EM was a Fun Land - the replay version of Fun Park. It's an awesome game and I really had a great time with it. But now it's in a beautiful arcade where the public can enjoy it!

#232 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hey mof,
    are you anywhere near to this one?
    sfbay.craigslist.org link

Hopefully he is...cab is just a little faded (LOL). I would still snatch that up in a Gorgar heartbeat if I was within 50 miles or so. You don't see that game too often, and the PF and BG actually look like they're in pretty decent shape.

#233 3 years ago

Fifth and sixth words, "Not Slow".

Put a 2x4 underneath the rear legs and jack the game in the air with the rear casters.
    Lower the front casters to the floor.
    If the game only uses one ball, add a TZ ceramic powerball for even more speed.

This is exactly what I did to Abra Ca Dabra. It made a great game even better. I figured EM purists would hate it, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

#234 3 years ago

I fixed an Em with a plastic fork this past weekend when I discovered my real tools weren't packed.

#235 3 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

I want everything in that room

Crap! So do I!

Considering the original request, if you have a difficult way down into your gameroom, EMs are easier to break down and lighter to get back up once broken down.

#236 3 years ago

Fifth and sixth words, "Not Slow".
    the rear legs and jack the game in the air with the rear casters.
    Lower the front casters to the floor.

When we were kids that is way most arcades had them set up. Rear legs set as high as possible, with the fronts all the way in. We would get a few match books to raise the fronts before playing.

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

When we were kids that is way most arcades had them set up. Rear legs set as high as possible, with the fronts all the way in. We would get a few match books to raise the fronts before playing.

I guess this is "lost experience" now for some?
    I keep getting irritated by new collectors who say games are "too slow", when the problem is easily corrected.
    It is not quantum physics, it is just being used as an feeble excuse to not understand or like games.
    I always say, "explore your options and you may be surprised".

The only other thing you need to watch when doing this change is the tilt assemblies, or they can make the game unplayable if the game "locks out".
    The plumb bob needs to be lowered or removed.

#238 3 years ago

The plumb bob needs to be lowered or removed.

You just need to center it by moving the bracket. Tilt is a very important feature IMO.

Yeah, most of mine are fast and steep. Except for the 40s models. They seem fine at a normal slope.

I was playing my Rocket last night and that one really kicks up some dust. Pretty fricken fast!

#239 3 years ago

I am always amazed at how many Ems at a show will have that minimal slope floaty ball thing going on. I think Markmon (Mark's Mom?) must have played those ones.

#240 3 years ago

It's amazing how much speed you can add by putting longer leg levelors in the back.

#241 3 years ago

I don't disagree, but in many cases there is no way to relocate center the tilt bracket without tapping new holes, if the angle is too steep after raising the rear legs to the full height of the 3" casters.
    A 2X4 with full rear casters is over 11+ degrees.
    I don't like drilling new holes personally, if the is no "wiggle room", and the plumb bob bracket is mounted directly on the cabinet interior.
    I just lower it slightly, and it still can activate.

#242 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I am always amazed at how many Ems at a show will have that minimal slope floaty ball thing going on.

I'm guessing because people really don't take the time to properly level their games at the shows.

I've always used 3 inch levelers on the rear of my EMs, but I tend to keep them at the 2 inch mark, and I've never experienced ball float on any of my games. I also almost always switch to the transformer's high tap setting to give the coils more snap.

EMs don't have to be slow and boring, but I hate when people prop the rear legs up on a 2x4 for unnatural steepness. In my opinion, EMs perform their best when they have a distinct "crispness" to them. There's nothing else quite like it on a game, especially when the game uses 2 inch flippers.

#243 3 years ago

in many cases there is no way to relocate center the tilt bracket without tapping new holes,

The ring usually has slotted holes so it can be moved forward or back. If that isn't enough the arm that the bob hangs from can be bent.

#244 3 years ago

..or stick a tissue in it. Easily reversible too. Only mod I approve of, besides the 3" levelers on the back.

1 month later
    #245 3 years ago

Loved reading this thread, so here's a bump. For these machines you just need to keep an open mind. I am just a very skill-based person. I would rather play a modern video game where you need to avoid obstacles and can rack up a score rather than an adventure game (as great as they can be), I would rather play a sport than read a book, etc., and I like every second of play to count and I love quick, brutal, and challenging games. Some people say they find themselves walking away from EM games because they're boring, but I have found myself walking away from modern (usually DMD, I love SS too and find they usually don't suffer from this as much but maybe a little, sometimes in a good way) games because they just take too damn long to finish a game. Maybe it is nicer in the home area or when you're paying for it but whenever I'm visiting a show it's just annoying to try and have to be bad to finish a game or when you're at somebody's house taking a quick look at their games and you have that awkward period when you're stuck playing one game for a long amount of time.

Like I said, I love hard games with clear objectives and the only thing keeping you from that is what you need to do to get there and it's all laid out on the field in front of you and it's always pretty clear.

All of the awesome art is a bonus.

Don't get me wrong SS games are some of my favorite too (my grail is in the SS category) and I love them equally but I'm not convincing you to like SS pins as you don't need to be already.

Oh, and nostalgia doesn't matter aside from the vague/general pinball nostalgia, doesn't matter if you played Attack From Mars or Sweet Hearts as a kid. I'm 17 and from a generation of where even the coolest newest DMD pinball machines would be seen as stupid by most, if you just keep an open mind you can learn to love any kind of pinball machine and usually it is very easy for me. Even the machines other people would think suck in a category they love I don't even mind, I see it as a playing field and I want to get as much points on it as possible and that makes it fun. If there was a pinball machine with two flippers and 1 pop bumper that scores 1,000 points and nothing else, I'd try to have some fun getting my points up to 50,000.

But yeah, I love everything, and most of that isn't driven by much nostalgia at all and actually helps me get better deals because I don't have standards. People want their Addams Family or their Donkey Kong, while can have just as much fun with an unpopular cheap EM and an arcade game not many have heard of for much cheaper because others are too close-minded to give the other things a try! Fine with me, cheaper games haha! Only thing that grinds my gears is lack of restoration and saving of those lesser known games which eventually cease to exist, a shame really, but that's another story.

I would much rather have a few EMs or a few early-SS machines than a DMD, any day. And as always, a DMD and an EM can very muchso exist together. Might look a little weird next to each other, but it looks cool too. I love my variety and I definitely think that is a healthy part of any collection. I have a lot of everything and wouldn't have it any other way.

12729160_10205657079494791_7443861026813115161_n_(resized).jpg

airport-otaku_(resized).jpg

12814691_10205808181832255_8641167838509111415_n_(resized).jpg

D_(resized).jpg

B_(resized).jpg

46a52d5d3eaf3ebf9bc3ec8784926ae90552ad31_(resized).png

10410116_10205808180752228_515025498252218007_n_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 224.99
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    $ 25.00
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 20.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 27.99
    Playfield - Protection
    Lee's Parts
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside