Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 245 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Otaku
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10410116_10205808180752228_515025498252218007_n_(resized).jpg
    46a52d5d3eaf3ebf9bc3ec8784926ae90552ad31_(resized).png
    B_(resized).jpg
    D_(resized).jpg
    12814691_10205808181832255_8641167838509111415_n_(resized).jpg
    airport-otaku_(resized).jpg
    12729160_10205657079494791_7443861026813115161_n_(resized).jpg
    WP_20150207_001_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge3_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge2_(resized).jpg
    WallofWedge1a_(resized).jpg
    DSCN4176_(resized).JPG
    DSCN4175_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    CS_(resized).JPG
    pong_cabbig-web_(resized).jpg
    There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 8 years ago

Like OP, I was never exposed to pinball when I was a kid, and came to it later in life in the mid-90s. Back then the DMD games were cheap and plentiful, so my collection was basically nothing older than a couple of System 11s.

However, the long involved ball times of modern games starts to become a chore - I don't usually have 20-30 minutes to blow on one game all the time and I just want to bat a ball around. So I guess I got "too much work fatigue" on modern pins. Also, as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate variety more, and the oddball machines that no one seems to like much.

So I've been looking at simpler games. I picked up a nearly destroyed Abra Ca Dabra and plan to do a full out resto on it and slap it next to my AFM.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You're not missing anything and pretty much nailed it. In about 2-3 minutes you probably saw what there is to see on every EM. Those were the best they could do with the technology of the time. We have far surpassed that garbage which is why those types of games aren't made today.

Whoa Nellie BJM - just an example of newly produced EM style game.

It was my search for a Backglass monitor for my virtual pin cabinet that led me to my first EM find. and for $100, I fell deep into the world of pinball.

Even with an EM, there is more to gameplay than just keeping the ball from draining. Every EM I have had to pleasure to work on and play has been well worth it in my opinion.
    No one can "sell" you on liking EM's, just pick one up from CL and dive in. You won't be disappointed. frustrated at times, maybe, but never disappointed.

#53 8 years ago

Convince me why I should pay $6000-$8000 for a new machine themed after has-been rock stars or worn out movies from the 70s or 80s.

#54 8 years ago

It's all a conspiracy. Us EM loving pinheads keep it low and quiet. This helps keep the prices down. If everyone finds out how much fun and skill needed, boom there goes supply. It's like fight club.

Seriously if you played a well maintained EM that's all it would take. Sure there are some dogs but there are also some amazing games. Most shows have EMs set up and playing like crap. They play slow and your lucky if there level.
    It's like any pinball table, you can't play one or two games and form an opinion on the whole.

Try watching the Pinburgh finals and see some pretty awesome play on good machines

#55 8 years ago

I was born the same year as you. I am by no means an EM guy. In fact I don't even really like them very much. Growing up, my dad routed games and we always had a random assortment of arcades and pinballs taking up room in our garage. My dad never liked having EM's because they were too much hassle for him, but every once in a while one would just kind of fall into his lap, and it would take up room in our garage before he would eventually sell it. Now most of my best memories are playing newer pinballs and I don't think I could even remember any of the EM's we had, I think toledo was one of them. Anyways, the whole point to my story is, the only real memorable thing to me is the sound of the chimes echoing against the crickets chirping on a summer night. Sometimes I'll fire up an EM on the pinball arcade and those chimes just bring me back. So I'm going to say if anything, theres something magical about those sounds on a summers eve, and I would like to have at least one in my collection just because of that
    '

#56 8 years ago

Lots of good responses.
    Hope I didn't come off as bratty. I'm very open minded and was hoping to have some light shed on what I'm missing out on.

There have been a few EM's and early SS games that have caught my eye. Namely, Sorcerer!

I'm fortunate to live down the street from Logan Arcade, perhaps just a few beers and staying away from SS titles will help warm me up.

Quoted from archaik:

born in 86.
    only thing is , dont play on your newer stern and then on the EM, cause you will miss the lightshow and sound, and it will feel slower too.

Good advice, de-sensitization!

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Instead of trying a EM pin why don't you give an early SS pin a try. I would recomment a Gottlieb system 1 (Countdown, Joker Poker).

Those games are really pretty much a hybrid SS/EM. They have elements of both in them. Some of the System 1 games are pretty good players, once you get the board issues they seemingly all have corrected.
    That said, System 1 games just pale in comparison to the Bally/Williams SS games of that era. The System 1 games come off as crude and unsophisticated in comparison. Gottlieb just was late to the SS party, for a variety of reasons, and then stumbled badly when they finally did get going on them, and they never caught up.

#58 8 years ago

Variety is the spice of life! That applies to pinball machines. I have machines from EM to the very latest Stern, and lots in between. I've got 90s, I've got SS from the 70s, all kinds of odd crap. Sometimes I want to play the most complex game with difficult rule intricacies and scoring strategy. And other times I want to earn a special, or get an extra ball knock on an AAB to keep building score.

EMs are a wonderful part of this hobby. They are a giant logic circuit built out of leaf switches! All they are doing is moving electrical power around that circuit to the right spots, and they are amazing. When something goes wrong, you are can actually trace out what is happening in the circuit. I may be slow at fixing them, but it is a lot of fun. And playing them is a wonderful experience. Just last night I was overjoyed at knocking free games on my 4 Square. Yes, all of the games are free, but having a good enough game to knock a special is a blast.

Easy to do, and difficult to master. The best EMs always leave you right to the spot that you ALMOST did it... one more game and you will have it. Ok, maybe two...

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

There have been a few EM's and early SS games that have caught my eye. Namely, Sorcerer!
    I'm fortunate to live down the street from Logan Arcade, perhaps just a few beers and staying away from SS titles will help warm me up.

Only other thing is they are dialed in and set up well. Lots of EM's at shows or in the wild play like crap, just from neglect. When I am done with mine, they are snappy, steep and fast. Sometimes really short games.

#60 8 years ago

EMs are way more challenging and they hone your skills. Try playing a modern game and record your best score. Then play an EM for a while. Once you have the EM somewhat tamed, go back to your modern game and I bet you will kill it.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

They are a giant logic circuit built out of leaf switches! All they are doing is moving electrical power around that circuit to the right spots, and they are amazing. When something goes wrong, you are can actually trace out what is happening in the circuit. I may be slow at fixing them, but it is a lot of fun. And playing them is a wonderful experience. Just last night I was overjoyed at knocking free games on my 4 Square. Yes, all of the games are free, but having a good enough game to knock a special is a blast.

I was born in '83. Playing a machine with rebuilt pops and flippers really(!) makes a difference.

Working on an EM is exactly what DaveH says above, tracing the flow of current is fun and easy to do compared with a solid state. "So it goes from the switch to the board and then something happens and the transistor is grounded and the coil fires" changes to: "So it goes from the switch to the coil and it fires."

EMs are MUCH simpler to work on. And I have worked on all eras of game - not every manufacturer, but quite a few. I don't like the black box nature of solid state games (for repair).

As to the games being slow? The fastest game in my collection is the 1963 Chicago Coin Twinky. 2" flippers. I have solid state and a DMD. The problem I have with modern games is the stop and go nature. Of course, I grew up in arcades playing the modern games of the day, and I like those, too, but EMs are all about hitting one of several goals.

And once you understand how to fix them? You can certainly add 'mods' to add new goals, features or abilities. I don't approve of that, typically, but there are folks who do it. It's all about adding steppers or switches to do what you want. It makes more sense when you have fixed a few.

One of the folks I interviewed talked a bit about how you can think of EMs as DC if it helps to visualize the repair. I think this trick is handy for folks who are just getting into EM repair.

#62 8 years ago

I will add that I have some EMs where certain shots may not be made in an entire game. Can't say that about any modern game. I like the challenge of hard shots more than the challenge of repeating them 50 to 100 times.

#63 8 years ago

And once there was a time when using the plunger correctly was critcal.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

EMs have a much better varity of playfield layouts especially the lower half.

THIS.

Every few months we get hyped for the latest Stern and when it's released 9 out of 10 times it's just a "standard fan" with different toys - inlanes at the top, pops in the corner, orbit, two ramps, side targets and slingshots.

Every EM is different (excepting for AAB and 2-player versions of course) and is uniquely challenging. You won't find Roto-targets on a DMD and I can only think of one with a Vari-Target.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

I can only think of one with a Vari-Target.

Ripley's. It was implemented very well. I like that game because although it is licensed, it really makes it's own theme and the layout is very unique.

#67 8 years ago

And Badcats....

#68 8 years ago

You either like EMs or your a neck bearded mouth breather.

#69 8 years ago

Love the artwork and back glasses, new Sterns based on TV series and films are piss poor......

#70 8 years ago

Cause they are pretty and the chimes just sound cool...my MoonFlight

001_(resized).jpg001_(resized).jpg

005_(resized).jpg005_(resized).jpg

012_(resized).jpg012_(resized).jpg

013_(resized).jpg013_(resized).jpg

014_(resized).jpg014_(resized).jpg

#71 8 years ago

Another thing is competition. DMDS are great if you are playing with yourself a lot on a regular basis. But when two or more players are involved EMs with their short ball times are the only way to go.

#72 8 years ago

You are absolutely right, no need to look into EMs. Boring and slow, no challenge, just like everyone says. No fun, weird artwork, only appeal to old men that smell funny. Please do not try and play them. You certainly must have better things to do. Leave the oddballs alone and stick with the cool kids. Single player games make no sense at all, probably a sin. Avoid at all costs. Everyone will point at you and laugh. Full of mold and mice droppings. Schematics are impossible to read, they are not reparable. No parts, no one to help. Ignore them and spend the money on LEDs. You mother said "No!".
    Don C.

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

You either like EMs or your a neck bearded mouth breather.

Wait a minute... I like EM's and I have a neck beard...and a back beard....and butt beard. Sasquatch.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Ripley's. It was implemented very well. I like that game because although it is licensed, it really makes it's own theme and the layout is very unique.

Quoted from tslayer71:

And Badcats....

I was thinking of RBION, but suspected there were a few others - thanks. Burying that Vari-Target is an awesome feeling and I wish it was used more often. Maybe it's a patent/licensing issue?

#75 8 years ago

Do you wear skinny jeans? If no you're in the EM club!

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

.... DMDS are great if you are playing with yourself a lot on a regular basis...

Well said

#77 8 years ago

Who put the speakers in the pinball machine? There's no speakers in pinball! Just the sounds they make get quite annoying.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Who put the speakers in the pinball machine?

Smart people who wanted to make pinball more exciting!

Quoted from Electrocute:

There's no speakers in pinball!

I think we just concluded the opposite.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Just the sounds they make get quite annoying.

EMs sound like doorbells and rotary phones.

#79 8 years ago

These are all beautiful, but most of all they make money...fast!

client_(resized).jpgclient_(resized).jpg

moola_(resized).jpgmoola_(resized).jpg

#80 8 years ago

If you don't like EMs, then you are just a young punk. If you do like EMs, you are cool and wise beyond your years.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

These are all beautiful, but most of all they make money...fast!

client_(resized).jpgmoola_(resized).jpg

That must be Bob?

#82 8 years ago

Bob, yes!

Antique furniture is outdated and over rated.

I only shop at IKEA!

#83 8 years ago

You should have played AbraCaDabra at Logan Arcade when I had that thing singing. If someone didn't like that, they'll never come around to EMs. I'm not sure if its still there or not. When I left, I was trying to get the flippers back up to snuff and didn't have the right pawl. Kind of split unexpectedly.

#84 8 years ago

I've now owned flipper games from every decade they were made. From the 40s all the way up to some of the most recent models. What I really wanted to know is what my daughter and her generation would prefer to play. Well that didn't take long to figure out. She won't play the DMDs but she can step right up to the two inch flipper models and hang with the rest of us.

chosen_(resized).jpgchosen_(resized).jpg

#85 8 years ago

I'd like to see someone do some mock up art under the heading 'if (insert modern title) was an EM'. What would a Twilight Zone EM look like, I'd say pretty awesome! Re-theme project perhaps...

I started with just DMD's but now i prefer SS's from the 80's, give it a few years and I'll be a fan of EM's.

#86 8 years ago

OP, I'm at the ripe age of 24, and I grew up playing the alphanumeric generation of games in the arcades. There were DMD titles out there, but they didn't seem to be as common as games from the System 11 lineup as I grew up. I have absolutely no nostalgia for EM games, yet these are the titles I tend to gravitate towards the most at shows or other people's collections. For me, it's the allure of what could be done with switches and relays, or the heartfelt artwork, or the charming sounds of chimes.

Playing an EM is sorta like camping. You sleep on the ground, in a tent, in a sleeping bag, with the most basic accoutrements, and sometimes you have to convince yourself you're enjoying it; but all the while, there's something really down to earth about it, so real, and so pure, so simple.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Playing an EM is sorta like camping. You sleep on the ground, in a tent, in a sleeping bag, with the most basic accoutrements,

You must have seen this in the other thread...

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You must have seen this in the other thread...

No way! I swear I didn't. Looks like my kind of bed, though!

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Who put the speakers in the pinball machine? There's no speakers in pinball! Just the sounds they make get quite annoying.

I agree, listening to someone playing SOME of the DMDs is akin to kids watching Saturday morning cartoons on full blast when you have a hangover. Having said that, there were some good ones.

#90 8 years ago

When the U.S. gets popped by an EMP, I'll still be playing my EM's (using a generator) while all of the DMD snobs are jumping off of buildings...

#91 8 years ago

You know, I (kind of) had the same mindset as the OP here until just last weekend. I've always loved how the EMs looked, but hadn't really played many and didn't seem to care too. Anyway, I ended up going to the local arcade, and they have a gorgeous Amazing Spider-Man. Well, I ended up walking up to it, and for some reason, it all finally clicked and I absolutely loved it.

So, OP, everything these folks are saying really does ring true. The game was absolutely slower, but in a good way. I wasn't on edge trying to score a million points, instead I was focused solely on making specific shots. And something about the entire feel of the gameplay was softer (also in a good way). Something about playing it just felt good, and made me want one in my living room as a relaxation game.

#92 8 years ago

Amazing Spider Man isn't an EM.

#93 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Amazing Spider Man isn't an EM.

Well, I feel like a complete idiot now. I had assumed it was with its lack of modern SS features. I suppose I have more pinball history lessons to brush up on

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

Well, I feel like a complete idiot now. I had assumed it was with its lack of modern SS features. I suppose I have more pinball history lessons to brush up on

Let us know when you become PinballMan.com

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Let us know when you become PinballMan.com

Hahaha, touché, good sir. Touché.

Thank god I only offer pinball designs, and not knowledge

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

Well, I feel like a complete idiot now. I had assumed it was with its lack of modern SS features.

You sound a lot smarter than those guys that say all EMs are the same. Someday I'd like to play them all too!

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from chadsugg:

Hahaha, touché, good sir. Touché.
    Thank god I only offer pinball designs, and not knowledge

I kid, obvz.

#98 8 years ago

I never really sought after EM's until very recently.

I've gone to many shows and some people bring some pretty interesting EM's to show off and I can't help but play them. At the York show, I had a great time playing a ''Surf Champ'', plenty to shoot for and a battle all the way.
    To me, they're very interesting from a time long gone.
    Once you get an EM going there is no better feeling and it makes you appreciate them and how they sing. The most iconic thing in pinball (imo) is those chimes, dings, donks, pops- the EM sounds, THAT is pinball.

A good EM can be very addicting, it's all about how much you can get away with, because you are fighting for every inch while playing one. I actually feel bad for those that dismiss them or don't get it.

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I never really sought after EM's until very recently.
    I've gone to many shows and some people bring some pretty interesting EM's to show off and I can't help but play them. At the York show, I had a great time playing a ''Surf Champ'', plenty to shoot for and a battle all the way.
    To me, they're very interesting from a time long gone.
    Once you get an EM going there is no better feeling and it make you appreciate them and how they sing. The most iconic thing in pinball (imo) is those chimes, dings, donks, pops- the EM sounds, THAT is pinball.
    A good EM can be very addicting, it's all about how much you can get away with, because you are fighting for every inch while playing one. I actually feel bad for those that dismiss them or don't get it.

I used to dismiss them, until I actually played one. They are fun and addicting, that's for sure.

#100 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There used to be a bunch of DMDs where these are now and I couldn't be happier with the change.

good-stuff_(resized).jpg

Odin's journey is the norm. In my 25+ years in the hobby, I too have traveled that road, ultimately replacing most of my modern games with electromechanical ones. I suspect that there are few enthusiasts who have owned several EMs and who have purged their collections for solid state games exclusively. In fact, I have never known of anyone following that path.

Succinctly stated. . .EMs are for lovers. . .

lovers of challenging gameplay, lovers of accessible rulesets, lovers of Americana, lovers of inspired original artistry, lovers of clangs, dongs and chimes. . .lovers of mechanical ingenuity, clicking score reels, humming troughs and backbox animation. . .lovers of the ability to fix the game oneself, lovers of games that DON'T NEED A SINGLE MOD, lovers of available cash to buy more EMs because they don't break the bank.

Locate a fellow collector in your town with some EM games which are correctly tuned. You're in Chicago so that's an easy task. Activate your favorite song on your smartphone headphones (I was born in 1959, so I cue up some vinyl on my Marantz turntable). Suspend your reality. Forget about mindless bash toys and LEDs. Spend a few hours there, with a Gottlieb Atlantis, Gottlieb Queen of Hearts or a '72 Bally Fireball or any dialed in EM. Note that you can actually have a conversation while playing a game because EM machines are friendly that way (no needless call-outs). Your new EM friend is likely to be more entertaining than a predictable and repetitive call-out. Funny how human interaction adds to the pinball experience. Then return and do it again with a beer in hand. Report back to us here in this thread when your line-up has transformed into something wonderful.

There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convince-me-why-i-should-get-into-ems/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.