image_6.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

So I have a TWD pro on order. My budget did not include a premium as I'm getting IMVE too. With the new update, people are telling me I need to upgrade, but 90% of those peeps own a premium. Distributor said I have about a week to make a decision - finding a pro to play with the updated code isn't as easy as taking a stroll down the street.

So id like to hear some reviews from TWD pro owners and location players. More specifically with the new update. 3 things I really like on the premium:

-spinners
-color changing inserts
- walker bombs

I could honestly care less about the GI, bicycle girl, and xbow. The Woodbury drop target is cool too but not a must have.

I'm still leaning pro, mainly cause of budget, but I have this little devil on my shoulder trying to pull me the other way. So convince me to stay pro owners....or divert me to the darkness.

TIA

#2 8 years ago

I've played both versions on location. I wasn't really convinced the Premium was worth the extra dough. The fact that the Pro has the drop target bank on the left is really nice, the one drop on the right is kind of unnecessary gameplay wise. I love spinners but the spinners feel like an afterthought; like they designed the game then dropped the spinners on after the fact.

There are some games where the premium is a must IMHO, like AC/DC. Most Sterns I prefer the Pro (I prefer Avengers and XMEN pro to their LEs/premiums, mostly because moving ramps always end up working kind of janky) TWO Pro is a very fun game and I doubt you'll regret it. Besides if you change your mind later both versions of the game shouldn't be hard to come by in the future.

#3 8 years ago

I bought the Prem for...
The ability to have the game in its final form when Lyman has it finished.
I owned a pro loved it but had not played an LE or prem...sold Pro got prem.

I agree crossbow - spinners are good, left ramp and drop target do nothing for me.
Honestly the fish tank isn't a big deal to me. I do like the few color changing inserts they were a nice touch.

Individually they don't add much but when you put them all together the cost difference is worth it to me.

TWD is a very good game destined to be a great game because the designer is committed to it.

If the difference in payment is say 1500-1700 Id be all over the Prem IMO.

#4 8 years ago

I sold a Pro, and if I bought again, I'd get a Prem. The Pro is awesome and just a fun game. Code will only make it a better experience. I'm a Pro whore (Mustang, ACDC, KISS Pro), but this one seems like it may be worth a few extra bucks.

#SternProWhoreForever

#5 8 years ago

Go pro

#6 8 years ago

I love BG being a ramp shot. I love there being no magnet in front of the WW. onky real knock I have with the new code on pros is no walker bombs and apparently the light shows on the pro are not as good.

#7 8 years ago

I've spent most of my a playing time on the Pro, and relatively brief time on the LE and Premium. I'll start out with this statement: The layout is different, smooth, and fun to shoot, and I would be happy owning a Pro, but if my budget was not the issue, Premium or LE would be my choice.

I think TWD Pro has the least amount of mechanical features and toys that Stern has ever released... two flippers, two bash toys and a magnet. That's bare bones even for a Stern Pro, but it's very fun to shoot and, and I don't feel the game is lacking when I play a Pro. That being said, it's clear when you spend time on the Premium/LE it feels like a more substantial game... there are more playfield toys, more mechanical features, and colored inserts alone are always a good excuse for the upgrade (and a shame Stern chooses to keep them out of the Pro). The LE is my favorite model.

That same thought process applies 100% to ST, and to Tron. Even though the Pro has all the same general game play, the Premium/LE also have that "je ne sais quoi" that makes it a compelling purchase over the Pro... And as long as Stern insists on releasing the "director's cut" version on only Premiums and LEs, be thankful there is a Premium for TWD and ST... with Tron you have hoards of disgruntled customers like Eli spending massive amounts of time to replicate and make available the Premium features (lighted ramps in this case) that Stern is contractually incapable of selling to customers regardless of demand. Cosmetics can't always be understated.

#8 8 years ago

Get the premium dummy!

#9 8 years ago

I have the premium and am so glad I went with it. I have met and acdc pros, but after playing twd premium I get why it's worth it in the long run, especially with the new code.

#10 8 years ago

Snap into a pro bro

#11 8 years ago

If you're budget conscious, go Pro! I play one on location quite a bit (pre and post update). Before the big code update I found it fun, if not frustrating. Now the game is very fun and addicting to me. The new light show is awesome, and the modes feel more immersive.

I would LOVE to have one if I could get away with the theme in my house

#12 8 years ago

I played the Pro and it just didn't do anything for me, but my ST pro is awesome

#13 8 years ago

The light show is bad ass on the LE since the new update. Scrape up the extra money. If you can swing 2 pins you can come up with a little more.

#14 8 years ago

Not a lot of differences between the two anywAy

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I think TWD Pro has the least amount of mechanical features and toys that Stern has ever released...

Have you seen Avatar?

Seriously though don't underestimate the drop targets. It's so cool when you complete them on the pro and the 'click' of the pump action sound effect lines up with the sound of the drops resetting.

#16 8 years ago

Would step up to premium, you will not regret it.

#17 8 years ago

I can't, it's pretty feature less and does not play like the premium/le. The fire button is good for skill shots, and walker bombs are awesome. Bicycle girl, spinners, extra drop, better lighting, just a better game play feel. I like most pros but I'm not a fan of TWD pro compared to the premium/le

#18 8 years ago

It seems like the only reason to get a premium with most Sterns is the "gotta have the best" mentality. That's what Stern banks on in every release. Unless the premium has must have features or look like a whole new game, go pro. Doesn't seem like that is the case with twd.

#19 8 years ago

I'd go Pro. If you're already throwing up 1.9 billion scores on the premium on limited play (largely on account of walker bombs) you may grow tired of the game faster. The Pro plays faster and has better flow and is the more challenging game because it doesn't have any gimmes. Just check out the scoring differential between Pro and LE models. Walker bombs are kind of like the "smart missile" of the DE days. Biggest thing you're missing out on is the lighting.

#20 8 years ago

I think TWD Pro has the least amount of mechanical features and toys that Stern has ever released.

Right there with KISS Besides from the art and cool theme I see nothing there

#21 8 years ago

Don't see many (if any) toys on ST....none that interact with the ball....(any version)................Joey

#22 8 years ago

On topic...I play a pro weekly...didn't like at first...then it grew on me as I played a bit over the weeks....now its as frustrating umm I mean enjoyable as IM...lol...............Joey

#23 8 years ago

Heres a pro on old code

#24 8 years ago

go LE or go home...new code is killer

#25 8 years ago

Just another pro old code !! If you want a faster game go pro the le prem is way slower no getting around that

#26 8 years ago

I recently went through this, and had to decide between the Pro and Premium/LE. After playing both, I went with the premium. The Premium just seems more substantial, and while the add-ons seem trivial on paper, they make the game a more enjoyable experience overall. The new code has added some killer light shows also which really do add to the experience also. A lot of people tend to discount light shows, but it creates an atmosphere within the playfield that makes the game more theatrical- and overall, a visceral experience.

Also, I was fortunate enough to have the Premium in my budget (had to sell another game), but if I would have been short, I would have been happy with the Pro.

I have been extremely happy with TWD and am very glad I purchased one. My wife has played it more in the last week than she's played all of our machines in the last year!

Good luck with your search and decision, either way you can't go wrong with this title (IMHO of course).

#27 8 years ago

The gameplay on the Pro is fantastic. New code has just made it better and better. The only reason I would ever sell my Pro and go with a premium is because of the light show. Have a ST premium and love the color changing inserts, it definitely makes the game fun to play. I don't think you would go wrong either way......

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I bought the Prem for...
The ability to have the game in its final form when Lyman has it finished.

Lyman's brilliant coding passion may shine a little brighter on the Prem/LE simply because he had more to work with there.

Your fortunate to have waited until now because you can actually include the way each version takes advantage of the maturing code in your deliberations. Every player values how pins play - differently. Good luck!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So I have a TWD pro on order. My budget did not include a premium as I'm getting IMVE too. With the new update, people are telling me I need to upgrade, but 90% of those peeps own a premium. Distributor said I have about a week to make a decision - finding a pro to play with the updated code isn't as easy as taking a stroll down the street.
So id like to hear some reviews from TWD pro owners and location players. More specifically with the new update. 3 things I really like on the premium:
-spinners
-color changing inserts
- walker bombs
I could honestly care less about the GI, bicycle girl, and xbow. The Woodbury drop target is cool too but not a must have.
I'm still leaning pro, mainly cause of budget, but I have this little devil on my shoulder trying to pull me the other way. So convince me to stay pro owners....or divert me to the darkness.
TIA

If you want to spend $2500 more for spinners, go for it.

Walker Bombs are for sissies who can't hit shots.

Color changing inserts - what do they show, what mode your in?

Crossbow vs flippers = I'll take the flippers

Left ramp too step on LE

I usually buy premium or LE and am very happy with the Pro. I don't think the extras missing on the pro will kill your enjoyment of the game. Just my opinion.

Also on the pro you can change the LED bulbs out on all the white inserts to make them what you want which is cool.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'd go Pro. If you're already throwing up 1.9 billion scores on the premium on limited play (largely on account of walker bombs) you may grow tired of the game faster. The Pro plays faster and has better flow and is the more challenging game because it doesn't have any gimmes. Just check out the scoring differential between Pro and LE models. Walker bombs are kind of like the "smart missile" of the DE days. Biggest thing you're missing out on is the lighting.

That was an amazing game that he put up, but my pin was set up easy and a somewhat loose tilt, so it would be very easy for him to make the pin harder if he felt the need to do that. He had other games where he scored well under 100 million, so it's not like every game was epic.

As far as the pro being more challenging, it is in some ways (no Walker Bombs), but it is easier in other ways (no Bicycle Girl to bash, which is a very risky shot on the Prem/LE version, vs the pro where you can just continuously loop the ramp shot).

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That was an amazing game that he put up, but my pin was set up easy and a somewhat loose tilt, so it would be very easy for him to make the pin harder if he felt the need to do that. He had other games where he scored well under 100 million, so it's not like every game was epic.
As far as the pro being more challenging, it is in some ways (no Walker Bombs), but it is easier in other ways (no Bicycle Girl to bash, which is a very risky shot on the Prem/LE version, vs the pro where you can just continuously loop the ramp shot).

I'm just amazed at some of the scores you guys are putting up on your LE games. We've got 4 Pro's on route near me and some pretty highly ranked competitive players that play them on a regular basis and I don't think any of them have a GC of more than 400M.

I agree with you on these points but the Walker bomb advantage is quite huge! The ability to start a multiball after a sure drain can't be understated. The left ramp/bicycle girl is definitely more challenging on the LE because it is steeper and not as smooth of a shot. I do kind of think that adding a 3rd bash toy (bicycle girl) is a bit much and closes off the flow of the game. The crossbow is a negative as well. It's super satisfying to do a flipper pass to the right flipper during crossbow and nail a shot vs. waiting for the cannon to load. I think in general I just have a distaste for games that you need to take your hands off the flippers all the time because it doesn't really feel as much like pinball to me. Data East used to do this all the time on games like Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Lethal Weapon, etc. where you need to pull the trigger a bunch of times to kill stuff or use smart missiles to start major objectives. I also don't like when games give you something just for the sake of it being the 3rd ball or because you pressed a button vs. earning it with your play. Starting a multi-ball by pressing a button when the ball is draining just feels like cheating to me.

Yes, if money were no option I'd pick the LE just because it has more toys and cooler lighting but I don't necessarily think that these toys and features make it a better game vs. the Pro.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I agree with you on these points but the Walker bomb advantage is quite huge! The ability to start a multiball after a sure drain can't be understated.

Definitely.

Like I said in the other thread, he would not have even scored that 357 million X multiplier shot if it was a pro, because he used Walker Bombs to save him from a drain, and it was after that he hit the shot.

Quoted from MikeS:

I do kind of think that adding a 3rd bash toy (bicycle girl) is a bit much and closes off the flow of the game.

I used to think this way but have come around to really like Bicycle Girl. While it is another bash toy, it's only available to bash while her mode is running, and it's a hurry up mode. So it isn't "too much" in my opinion. I like that it's a risky shot, creating risk/reward since you can choose not to shoot her at all, or try and complete the mode to get another Multi-kill and advance towards Horde.

To me the biggest drawback to BG is the fact that it makes the left ramp steeper than the pro, and it's not as smooth. Blocking flow isn't an issue to me, because I'd rather shoot BG than just loop the left ramp repeatedly until the mode is complete. Too easy (the left ramp is the easiest shot in the game other than bashing Well Walker or Prison).

#33 8 years ago

Can you not disable the Walker Bombs?

#34 8 years ago

I have a pro and am on the fence about upgrading to a premium.

#35 8 years ago

No fence should be involved unless it's actually keeping zombies out. Get the best. Get an LE. Artwork all around is awesome unless money is an issue, then Get a preemie.

Best representation of any title is always the one to get.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I used to think this way but have come around to really like Bicycle Girl. While it is another bash toy, it's only available to bash while her mode is running, and it's a hurry up mode. So it isn't "too much" in my opinion. I like that it's a risky shot, creating risk/reward since you can choose not to shoot her at all, or try and complete the mode to get another Multi-kill and advance towards Horde.
To me the biggest drawback to BG is the fact that it makes the left ramp steeper than the pro, and it's not as smooth. Blocking flow isn't an issue to me, because I'd rather shoot BG than just loop the left ramp repeatedly until the mode is complete. Too easy (the left ramp is the easiest shot in the game other than bashing Well Walker or Prison).

And I might warm up to it a bit as well if I played the LE more. I haven't played one with either of the last two code revisions. I just know I've put probably 300-400 plays on a Pro and maybe 20 on the LE and whenever I play the LE the bicycle girl/ramp and crossbow put a sour taste in my mouth. Yes, the bicycle ramp is easily repeatable which makes the mode easy to complete. I think the best solution would have been if they had not made it a lift ramp but rather a pop up "troll walker" target that blocks the ramp.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

No fence should be involved unless it's actually keeping zombies out. Get the best. Get an LE. Artwork all around is awesome unless money is an issue, then Get a preemie.
Best representation of any title is always the one to get.

I don't think that's always the case. I think Transformers Pro and X-Men Pro both play better than their LE counterpoints.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

And I might warm up to it a bit as well if I played the LE more. I haven't played one with either of the last two code revisions. I just know I've put probably 300-400 plays on a Pro and maybe 20 on the LE and whenever I play the LE the bicycle girl/ramp and crossbow put a sour taste in my mouth. Yes, the bicycle ramp is easily repeatable which makes the mode easy to complete. I think the best solution would have been if they had not made it a lift ramp but rather a pop up "troll walker" target that blocks the ramp.

Agreed, that would have been a great idea to make it a pop up. It would have resolved the issue of the left ramp being at such a high angle on the Prem/LE too.

I don't think the crossbow is ever going to be a feature that I think is really cool. I mean I like the idea of it being Darryl's crossbow, but the implementation isn't very good. Let's just say it's nothing like the Cannon on AC/DC.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If you want to spend $2500 more for spinners, go for it.
Walker Bombs are for sissies who can't hit shots.
Color changing inserts - what do they show, what mode your in?
Crossbow vs flippers = I'll take the flippers
Left ramp too step on LE
I usually buy premium or LE and am very happy with the Pro. I don't think the extras missing on the pro will kill your enjoyment of the game. Just my opinion.
Also on the pro you can change the LED bulbs out on all the white inserts to make them what you want which is cool.

Its a $1500 difference

Thanks all for the replies.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Its a $1500 difference
Thanks all for the replies.

you've answered your own question

BTW it will cost me 3k+ to upgrade now to prem, do it once do it right, Fnk $tern messed this up from the start

#41 8 years ago

Deals can be found on premiums if you look in the right places. i picked mine up for around 1k more than a nib pro.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think that's always the case. I think Transformers Pro and X-Men Pro both play better than their LE counterpoints.

I played TF, then bought the TFLE. Much better in LE. But I never played an X-men Pro. LE was pretty bad.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I have a pro and am on the fence about upgrading to a premium.

Have you played a premium? I was thinking the same thing until I played one at Pinburgh. I just didn't think I needed to upgrade after playing one. Just my opinion of course. Plenty of people happy with the premium/LE.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I played TF, then bought the TFLE. Much better in LE. But I never played an X-men Pro. LE was pretty bad.

The Ironhide playfield and the janky starscream ramp are my two gripes on the LE. Have they done any code updates to make the Ironhide playfield worth more? Transformers seems like it was a game where they designed the Pro first and then tried to add some extra unneeded stuff in to make it an LE. The Pro just seems to flow a lot better thru the ramps. I Will say that Megatron is better on the LE though.

#45 8 years ago

I got TWD to compliment my ST as the gameplay is drastically different. In that regard, it is excellent.

I'm kind of bitter about this whole Walker bomb scenario though. I think that's the serious game changer between the models.

Additionally, I get a fair amount of cheap drains SDTM from the pops. Admittedly, I haven't tried to fix it much aside from checking side to side leveling. In a game where almost every shot is dangerous, cheap drains suck. This seems to be much less of an issue on the Prem/LE is what I gather from pinside as I've only played 1 LE.

I don't think I would buy the pro again.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Additionally, I get a fair amount of cheap drains SDTM from the pops. Admittedly, I haven't tried to fix it much aside from checking side to side leveling. In a game where almost every shot is dangerous, cheap drains suck. This seems to be much less of an issue on the Prem/LE is what I gather from pinside as I've only played 1 LE.

I did the quick fix and put the Stern sticker on the lane guide and it never goes SDTM anymore

#47 8 years ago

To me it's a pretty easy choice. If you can't pull both games at once getting the premium then go IM and TWD pro. If you can scrape together the extra $$$ to get the premium go for it.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

Deals can be found on premiums if you look in the right places. i picked mine up for around 1k more than a nib pro.

Is that for a NIB or HUO? Every quote I've seen or heard of has been at least $1500 more to go from Pro to Premium NIB. If anyone is selling NIB Premiums for $5800 delivered please let me know!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

» YouTube video Just another pro old code !! If you want a faster game go pro the le prem is way slower no getting around that

This of course is utter nonsense. Nothing on the pro makes it faster, other then maybe waiting for the crossbow on the LE, but it's worth the wait. And to make up for it when you bash BG it sends the ball straight back the the flippers, no waiting for it to return on the ramp. Also when you hit the WOODBURY drop target it sends the ball, that's right, straight back to the flippers, not into the shooter lane for a few seconds then into the pops for much longer. Pro is faster my ass, I find the LE MUCH faster.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I got TWD to compliment my ST as the gameplay is drastically different. In that regard, it is excellent.
I'm kind of bitter about this whole Walker bomb scenario though. I think that's the serious game changer between the models.
I don't think I would buy the pro again.

Yes the pro version suffers from cheap SDTM drains. Not really an issue at all on the LE's.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.00
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 26.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convince-me-to-buy-twd-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.