Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 6 years ago

I sold my ACDC Premium to pay for my TNA, haven't missed it for even a moment, absolutely love having TNA more. So that's my perspective. What would make you happier I have no idea.

All I can tell you is that trying to compare your EMs to TNA is utterly ludicrous, don't do it. There is literally no other game that plays like it. For sure not an EM, and it doesn't play like the early solid states that inspired it either, because they simply didn't have the modern features it does. And I don't just mean the RGB lights and LCD etc, it shoots more like a modern game because of the fast orbits and the scoops.

Good luck, sure you'll have a good time with whatever you pick.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you only had Abra Cadabara and Flash Gordon in your collection would you still choose TNA for your third game or would you pick something else? I agree 100% that TNA doesn't play like an EM. It's a modern game in every sense of the word and is incredibly fun to play! I just don't know that I could have it as the only modern pin in my collection.

That's a good question, I'm leaning towards yes, because I like my pinball bitesized these days. Easy to understand, hard to master, quick games that you can play multiple times in a row.

ACDC is a polarizing game I think. People tend to really love it, or don't get the fuss. IMHO it's because the game itself isn't actually all that interesting, it's all about how you feel about Lyman's risk/reward rules. I get the appeal in theory, I just never found that it clicked with me. As I said, I don't miss it at all.

I definitely don't recommend getting ACDC because other people love it, you gotta play it for yourself and see. I'd say the same is true of TNA, but my experience is people are less interested before they play (it looks so simple and basic) and more into after.

If this was about Iron Maiden instead it would be a harder call, that has an amazing layout. ACDC isn't about the playfield to me, it's all software.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Only Scott can avoid downvotes for saying it's ok to not like TNA. The fervor of support he has for his game is amazing.

It's fine to not like TNA!

It's pretty simple I think:

A) It's really fun, something that seems to be lost sometimes in all the stupid back and forth talk about games. Fun is good, it makes for happy players!

B) It's a wonderful success story, a member of the community building a real game, with an original theme, and no drama or bullshit or people screwed. Spooky is the kind of company you want to support. If the game isn't right (I dropped off the RZ list for instance) then it's not right, but if it's a great game, and the story behind it is also great? That's a good combo.

C) Nothing else plays like it, it's original in feel, it's not "grindy" which can really make it compliment a collection, it's got a kick ass sound system, great RGB light show, the 7 segment displays in the backbox and the playfield are very cool touches, integrated beacon means a game that ships by default with a topper, there's a full package there.

All of this means the buyers are enthusiastic and happy and down to be vocal about it. People are happy to be honest about it too, it's got some little flaws, the LCD viewing angle isn't great, the power supply fan is kinda loud, but they're pretty minor.

But then there's one last bit:

D) There are some players who are ... I'm not gonna call them ignorant, but let's say they're inexperienced, and don't really understand how to process a pinball that doesn't have ramps. It's kind of ridiculous really, they're like people who recently got into video games and bought a PlayStation 4, it's what they know, and they can't understand how any game that's not rendered in 3D can be fun. And they're vocal about it, and some of them are pretty nasty with the attitudes.

I think you get a little bit of a defensive tone from TNA owners and enthusiasts because of the D people. It's fine to not like it! Or just think it's okay. Or fun, but in limited amounts and you wouldn't want to own it. Whatever your opinion is, that's fine. But sometime the dismissing comes off as the "lol no ramps" foolishness, and it's just dumb, and it deserves to get pushpack.

I hope TNA leads to more people experimenting. I've long advocated for modern takes on early solid state style games, we need more. Variety is good for the hobby, it's healthy. Don't be a jerk about it, it must makes you look like you don't understand much about pinball.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Idk if that last part about being a jerk is directed at me

Not at all. The guy on page 1 who said something like TNA is an attempt at a pinball machine sounded like a jerk for instance, that's why he got downvoted. That's just ignorant haterism.

And TNA is the best game to come out in years IMHO. Happiest I've been with a new game since Metallica, and I only got that after a lot of code updates. If people are turned off by people being excited then I dunno what to say. I'm sure as hell not going to apologize for thinking that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convince-me-tna-or-acdc?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.