Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

So I have the ability to get one NIB pin, and will probably be my only one for a long long time (if ever). I have narrowed my choices to TNA or AC/DC Vault Premium.

What I need are some opinions from TNA owners/players that have been around the machine a long time. The reason is because I have a small collection of two EMs both of which seems like they may play similar to TNA. I can't get over the feeling that with TNA, I would have 3 similar machines. I have played TNA a few times, but not long enough to get a feeling if I would get bored. Where as, everyone talks about AC/DCs deep rule set.

My collection:
Argosy - Has a spinner and upper area with a sling. Most action is on the lower half of the play-field.
4MBC - Has physical ball lock, with the ability to steal multi-ball from your opponent.

Here is how I see it

TNA
1) Great Theme (art, sound, etc)
2) Fast Addicting Gameplay, just one more game!
3) Straightforward rule set - may get repetitive after owning for a long time?
4) Co-Op mode

AC/DC
1) Big Fan of the Music
2) Lots of different shots
3) Lots of different modes
4) Seemingly vastly different than my current machines

I would happily have either machine, but with my current collection I feel like I need to go AC/DC.

Convince me!

#2 6 years ago

In a small collection I'd go ACDC all day! Just a lot more depth and strategy to that game that will keep it fresh in your line-up for much longer. If you already had a few modern games in your line-up it would be a much closer decision. I love TNA too but I think it would get too repetitive in a small collection.

#3 6 years ago

I vote for AC DC.

#4 6 years ago

Buy an AC/DC now. Get on the TNA waitlist. Play AC/DC for ~8 months, and sell it when your TNA is ready.

OR

Buy an AC/DC now. Play it for a month to decide if it's a keeper, and don't get on the TNA waitlist.

#5 6 years ago

I say ACDC as well. It has far deeper code and will hold your interest much longer compared to TNA in my opinion. TNA looks awesome but also comes across as a very repetitive game due to lack of mode variety.

#6 6 years ago

AC/DC !!

#7 6 years ago

Find a nice HUO AC/DC, Skip losing value by buying NIB, and start saving coin for another game.

#8 6 years ago

In a collection of only 3 games total this is an easy one for me. AC/DC. TNA is a fun game and really cool but playing it all the time would get to repetitive for me. To me TNA is the perfect dollar game for when friends come over. If you could get 6+ games in your collection that would start to tip the scales but for the cost (both are basically the same price new if going for AC/DC prem) AC/DC has more to offer. TNA is an AMAZING SS type of game it just doesn't come with the SS price

#9 6 years ago

Not sure why this is even a discussion....AC/DC is leaps and bounds better than TNA.....especially in a small collection....TNA is fun, but would get real boring if its your only pin.....

#10 6 years ago

For your size of collection I feel AC/DC wouldn’t get old quick like TNA might.

#11 6 years ago

as is typical, I am the outsider.

ACDC is a god awful pin. It is boring after a very short time and extremely repetitive. It is not fun as a single or multiplayer game (20 min wait times, no thanks I like shorter ball times and more interaction and speed) IMHO.
The art sucks, the theme sucks, the music is aweful, and the whole game becomes about bashing that bell at the right time to make a blow up score.
Toss on the cannon blocking the in/outlane and it seals the deal for an aweful game.

I only half joke that if I won the lotto I would buy every damn one of them and burn them to the ground.

TNA is the opposite. Fast moving, great art and theme, wonderful challenge as single player or multiplayer. Nothin like an EM and more like a modern game on cocaine and intensity. Had one for 7 months and own over 60 titles now and I still look forward to playing it and hitting that start button.

You really need to get some time on both and decide for yourself. People saying TNA is not good in a small collection are biased and crazy. It really would be great in a 1 pin collection or a 100 pin collection. The fun is real on this one.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Buy an AC/DC now. Get on the TNA waitlist. Play AC/DC for ~8 months, and sell it when your TNA is ready.

this is the best idea TBT

Get on TNA waitlist and then you have 6 plus months to play your ACDC and decide what to do. I feel pretty good that after 6 months in your collection, you will be completely bored with ACDC and looking forward to some speed and excitement.

#13 6 years ago

I own both and both are great. ACDC is probably my favorite game ever but get what you like. Since you have 2 EM's you obviously like short brutal play and would probably love TNA and it plays with the speed of a modern stern. I think the whole get different games approach is highly overrated. People like what they like and getting something just because it's different from what you have isn't always the correct thought. You have them because that is what you like.

I would highly recommend both games but unless you just want a deeper modern stern you are probably going to enjoy TNA more if that is the style of play you like.

#14 6 years ago

AC/DC

#15 6 years ago

I've owned an AC/DC premium, and I've played TNA enough to get a good feel for the game. My vote is for AC/DC (and it's not even close).

#16 6 years ago

I own both and they are both great games. I don't think my opinion would help seeing as how you see TnA being similar to EM's. Couldn't be farther from reality.

#17 6 years ago

AC/DC. But I’d go pro and save $2k and have more fun

#18 6 years ago

In your collection Id go with AC/DC. I was trying to decide between these two as well recently and went with TNA because I wanted something new and different plus the cost was a little bit less. My collection isn’t huge but it’s more diverse than yours. If I only had 2 EMs I’d be after AC/DC and probably some other games before TNA.

#19 6 years ago

I sold my ACDC Premium to pay for my TNA, haven't missed it for even a moment, absolutely love having TNA more. So that's my perspective. What would make you happier I have no idea.

All I can tell you is that trying to compare your EMs to TNA is utterly ludicrous, don't do it. There is literally no other game that plays like it. For sure not an EM, and it doesn't play like the early solid states that inspired it either, because they simply didn't have the modern features it does. And I don't just mean the RGB lights and LCD etc, it shoots more like a modern game because of the fast orbits and the scoops.

Good luck, sure you'll have a good time with whatever you pick.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I sold my ACDC Premium to pay for my TNA, haven't missed it for even a moment, absolutely love having TNA more. So that's my perspective. What would make you happier I have no idea.
All I can tell you is that trying to compare your EMs to TNA is utterly ludicrous, don't do it. There is literally no other game that plays like it. For sure not an EM, and it doesn't play like the early solid states that inspired it either, because they simply didn't have the modern features it does. And I don't just mean the RGB lights and LCD etc, it shoots more like a modern game because of the fast orbits and the scoops.
Good luck, sure you'll have a good time with whatever you pick.

If you only had Abra Cadabara and Flash Gordon in your collection would you still choose TNA for your third game or would you pick something else? I agree 100% that TNA doesn't play like an EM. It's a modern game in every sense of the word and is incredibly fun to play! I just don't know that I could have it as the only modern pin in my collection.

#21 6 years ago

TNA all day long.......AC-DC is the most overrated game around these parts, in my eyes. Now, I love the band. Playing it will get one rocking and casual fans really draw to it.The music is great, but it sucks the songs start over from beginning after every drain. I love Steve Ritchie games, but the flow on this is lacking. The underworld playfield isn’t very exciting. More luck than anything. Just feels like chopping wood when I play it. Too complicated rules. Big bubble Rosie graphic. Photoshop artwork. A drummer who soiled the band’s name. Blah! I am sure I’ll get roasted now, but I had to get that out of my system for some time.

TNA for the win here

#22 6 years ago

ACDC. It's one of Stern's best games

#23 6 years ago

Value wise HOU AC/DC’s are a bargain for $6000. TNA would be more money and minimum of a 6 month wait.

Both TNA and ACDC are great and fun, but I would take advantage of the market right now and get ACDC, play the crap out of it, trade or sell it for what you paid later on and look at getting TNA down the line.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

In a small collection I'd go ACDC all day!

/EndThread

I'm in complete agreement.

#25 6 years ago

If I played solo alot, I would go AC/DC. If you have friends and family over on a regular basis, I would get TNA.

#26 6 years ago

TNA for sure. Yes if you can get a nearly new AC-DC whilst your wait go for it, but there are better pins than AC-DC to go for whilst you wait for TNA.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

as is typical, I am the outsider.
ACDC is a god awful pin. It is boring after a very short time and extremely repetitive. It is not fun as a single or multiplayer game (20 min wait times, no thanks I like shorter ball times and more interaction and speed) IMHO.
The art sucks, the theme sucks, the music is aweful, and the whole game becomes about bashing that bell at the right time to make a blow up score.
Toss on the cannon blocking the in/outlane and it seals the deal for an aweful game.
I only half joke that if I won the lotto I would buy every damn one of them and burn them to the ground.
TNA is the opposite. Fast moving, great art and theme, wonderful challenge as single player or multiplayer. Nothin like an EM and more like a modern game on cocaine and intensity. Had one for 7 months and own over 60 titles now and I still look forward to playing it and hitting that start button.
You really need to get some time on both and decide for yourself. People saying TNA is not good in a small collection are biased and crazy. It really would be great in a 1 pin collection or a 100 pin collection. The fun is real on this one.

Curious why we are bias and crazy but you aren't? Can't we just have different opinions?

So you say the whole game is about bashing the bell at the right time to blow up a score. That's odd because having 3x going with no real song jackpot or multiball progress is kind of pointless. The bell is part of the strategy and risk vs reward of the game but you have to play the rest of the game to make that 3x worth while. But let's take your side for a min using that type of example but putting it towards TNA. Is TNA not a shoot for MB all day long game? Of which also, if you have basic live catching skills that shot is super repetitive with very little risk. Nobody in their right mind goes for reactors outside of MB. Starting one in single ball play is stupid risky and collecting a reactor outside of MB is dumb as well as you don't get your PF multiplier.

You may not agree with the above strategy but that is what all the top players do because it's repeatable and works.

Again, I'm not saying TNA is not a good game. In fact I think it's a great game for parties, friends and family especially in the team player modes. I just don't think it will have the holding power in single player play, especially in a smaller collection. That combined with the price makes this a fairly easy question to answer unless you just absolutely hate AC/DC as a theme. And let's use our brains for a min, if the OP hated AC/DC he wouldn't have asked this question.

#28 6 years ago

This would be a no brainier if you owned a larger collection. TNA is more unique and would easily be my choice. In a small collection with only EMs it's really a toss up for me. I like both games. I like the idea of buying an AC/DC now and getting on the list for TNA. You could then sell your AC/DC and pay for TNA. If you decide you want to switch back, I think you'd have a pretty good chance of recouping your cost on TNA. You could likely sell it to someone further down the list at that time.

#29 6 years ago

I personally say TNA, but based on your current collection AC/DC. I have a bunch of deep complex pf games so TNA is a breath of fresh air for me.

Put $1000 down on TNA and buy an AC/DC now. Then when your TNA is ready (next year), sell AC/DC and pay for the TNA with the money. Or just keep both

#30 6 years ago

AC/DC

#31 6 years ago

You should add a poll.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Curious why we are bias and crazy but you aren't? Can't we just have different opinions?

we are all biased and crazy, that is part of what makes it all so much fun.

#33 6 years ago

NGG.

#34 6 years ago

Sell the EMs and get both. Problem solved. I'm not a huge fan of AC/DC either (either as a band or the game) but different strokes for different folks. And like others have said TNA and EMs are worlds apart.

Another thing to consider, having "deep" rule sets doesn't always equal long term value. It's about what type of game you enjoy. Some people enjoy long playing games (I would consider anything >7-8 mins per ball long). Give me a game that gets my heart going, that I have to take a break and catch my breath. There are long playing games that simply don't do that. If you like long games, that's awesome. Give me a game that keeps me on my toes.

I would pick TNA over AC/DC.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you only had Abra Cadabara and Flash Gordon in your collection would you still choose TNA for your third game or would you pick something else? I agree 100% that TNA doesn't play like an EM. It's a modern game in every sense of the word and is incredibly fun to play! I just don't know that I could have it as the only modern pin in my collection.

That's a good question, I'm leaning towards yes, because I like my pinball bitesized these days. Easy to understand, hard to master, quick games that you can play multiple times in a row.

ACDC is a polarizing game I think. People tend to really love it, or don't get the fuss. IMHO it's because the game itself isn't actually all that interesting, it's all about how you feel about Lyman's risk/reward rules. I get the appeal in theory, I just never found that it clicked with me. As I said, I don't miss it at all.

I definitely don't recommend getting ACDC because other people love it, you gotta play it for yourself and see. I'd say the same is true of TNA, but my experience is people are less interested before they play (it looks so simple and basic) and more into after.

If this was about Iron Maiden instead it would be a harder call, that has an amazing layout. ACDC isn't about the playfield to me, it's all software.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Another thing to consider, having "deep" rule sets doesn't always equal long term value. It's about what type of game you enjoy. Some people enjoy long playing games (I would consider anything >7-8 mins per ball long). Give me a game that gets my heart going, that I have to take a break and catch my breath. There are long playing games that simply don't do that. If you like long games, that's awesome. Give me a game that keeps me on my toes.

I still feel fairly new to pinball and if there is one lesson I've learned in that time, it's that the depth of rules has little to do with how long term a game will stay in my collection.

#37 6 years ago

I have AC/DC Prem so that would be my choice but I would love a TNA. I took the wife to the Ohio show and she got a few games on TNA a game i thought she would love since she loves early 80's games and in my mind its an 80's game on steroids. She hated it said all you do is make the same shots over and over Well is'nt that what you do on most early 80's games she does like AC/DC tho go figure. I guess I should be happy she likes pinball almost as much as I do.

#38 6 years ago

Both are great games but over time AC/DC premium should have more staying power as a single player.

Both are punishing if you miss shots and both have risk reward.

Building a huge song jackpot and cashing in at 3x is pure adrenalin.

I think it is a bit of a chore getting 12 songs to qualify for encore and hope the rumors are true that Lyman may put some rewards for 3, 6 and 9 songs completed.

So, AC/DC unless you have friends round every week as TNA is super fun in co-op modes and playing for dollars.

#39 6 years ago

If I worked for Stern, I'd try to convince you to get an AC/DC.

If I worked for Spooky, I'd do the same with TNA.

But since I work for neither, I'd recommend you convince yourself what to buy, then you will have nobody to blame but yourself.

#41 6 years ago

I’m gonna change my vote.... IMDN PRO cheaper than both and don’t necessarily need to buy mods or upgrades either.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

So I have the ability to get one NIB pin, and will probably be my only one for a long long time (if ever). I have narrowed my choices to TNA or AC/DC Vault Premium.
What I need are some opinions from TNA owners/players that have been around the machine a long time. The reason is because I have a small collection of two EMs both of which seems like they may play similar to TNA. I can't get over the feeling that with TNA, I would have 3 similar machines. I have played TNA a few times, but not long enough to get a feeling if I would get bored. Where as, everyone talks about AC/DCs deep rule set.
My collection:
Argosy - Has a spinner and upper area with a sling. Most action is on the lower half of the play-field.
4MBC - Has physical ball lock, with the ability to steal multi-ball from your opponent.
Here is how I see it
TNA
1) Great Theme (art, sound, etc)
2) Fast Addicting Gameplay, just one more game!
3) Straightforward rule set - may get repetitive after owning for a long time?
4) Co-Op mode
AC/DC
1) Big Fan of the Music
2) Lots of different shots
3) Lots of different modes
4) Seemingly vastly different than my current machines
I would happily have either machine, but with my current collection I feel like I need to go AC/DC.
Convince me!

Zero contest. AC/DC Prem - and add the colorDMD for max effect.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Buy an AC/DC now. Get on the TNA waitlist.

Or don't bother with the waitlist and just pick up a TNA HUO a year from now for $500 or $1000 less if you still have the itch.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Or don't bother with the waitlist and just pick up a TNA HUO a year from now for $500 or $1000 less if you still have the itch.

120something in and it seems the are selling ta a premium on the secondary, so I would not plan on a huge discount.

Hell, if you got on the list just a few months back when people were saying the same thing you would be getting your game pretty soon

#45 6 years ago

ac/dc = one of sterns best, Tna= another attempt at a pinball machine

#46 6 years ago

I can barely tolerate AC/DC's music, and I don't really care for Steve Ritchie layouts, there is no reason for me to like AC/DC whatsoever. But, anytime I get a chance to play one, I can't stop playing it...it is a fantastic machine. The fact that you like their music already should just be the icing on the cake. You have two short ball time machines now, you definitely want to inject some variety into that lineup.

The only caveat would be is if you play more with others than you do by yourself. AC/DC (and most newer Sterns) can have long ball times. For multiplayer games, that can be a grind, but you have two other games where people can play 30-40 games while you are still on ball one on AC/DC.

#47 6 years ago

Initially I wasn’t really found of AC/DC but after playing more games I do really enjoy it. I like the music and the gameplay is fun. I really love the fact that it doesn’t have the Steve Ritchie standard upper 3rd flipper.

I also love me some TNA! What a simplistic game that looks, sounds, and plays great. Don’t let the simple layout fool you it’s a fun but brutal game.

If you can swing it I would put a deposit down on TNA now and buy an AC/DC while you’re waiting for TNA. Maybe you’ll be bored with AC/DC by the time your TNA is ready in which case you’ll be able to sell it easily.

#48 6 years ago

I was never into ac/dc as a band, so based on gameplay alone, I still would take ac/dc. Tna is fun but might get old in your game room. Just my opinion.

#49 6 years ago

Played TNA at the MGC and did like it but one thing I didn't like is the separation of the upper and lower half of the playfield. It felt like most of the time I was only playing the lower half or vice versa. Was wishing there was a more open way to shoot up the playfield and not play the half court style that separation seemed to create. Am I the only one that doesn't like this about the game? May be that I just didn't play it enough...

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Played TNA at the MGC and did like it but one thing I didn't like is the separation of the upper and lower half of the playfield. It felt like most of the time I was only playing the lower half or vice versa. Was wishing there was a more open way to shoot up the playfield and not play the half court style that separation seemed to create. Am I the only one that doesn't like this about the game? May be that I just didn't play it enough...

Shh, you're not allowed to question the groupthink here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convince-me-tna-or-acdc?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.