(Topic ID: 270595)

Convince me either way, keep or throw NIB box?

By joemagiera

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pipes
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    refridg box 2 (resized).jpg
    refridg box (resized).jpg
    EDB5EB93-4C15-45ED-9271-CB4919B4592C (resized).jpeg
    FFA84B1C-4988-4006-B41E-9A27DDED074C (resized).jpeg
    B23FB361-2130-43EC-A4B4-B3BF1986DB75 (resized).jpeg
    471CF7BA-C2BE-4314-9B06-4554FA6D9C1B (resized).jpeg
    AB4B318A-E993-4847-A830-3DEB8B426E6F (resized).jpeg
    Save your box for gloryhole.jpg
    20190816_125229.jpg
    DSCF0243 (resized).JPG
    20200609_191130 (resized).jpg
    There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

I've bought only one NIB pin, WOZ ECLE. I really don't plan to buy any other NIB. Knowing it would likely be my only NIB pin, I kept the box. Been looking at it recently. Sure is taking up a lot of space for an empty box.

Convince me either way, should I keep it or toss it? Anyone who keeps their NIB boxes, do you break them down so they can lie flat? Will I regret tossing it? Why on earth would I keep it?

Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

#2 3 years ago

Unless your shipping the game to someone whats the point? Cut off the important part of the box and toss the rest if it's that important to you.

john

#3 3 years ago

It’s, like, just a box, man. Toss it.

#4 3 years ago

If you ever go to buy another game from a private seller, it's nice to have pin sized cardboard to lay flat in the back of your vehicle and slide the pin in/out without snagging any shards of wood from the wear on the cab.

#5 3 years ago

cut it up and save the pieces for storing and transporting games. big pieces of cardboard are great to have laying around.

edit: just realized this was already mentioned. sorry davebart5 !

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from davebart5:

If you ever go to buy another game from a private seller, it's nice to have pin sized cardboard to lay flat in the back of your vehicle and slide the pin in/out without snagging any shards of wood from the wear on the cab.

This! Always keep one around for transporting.

#7 3 years ago

Just cut up my maiden box from 2 years ago ship a de starwars.

#8 3 years ago

This thread has helped me realize that I can reclaim a lot of space in my garage attic if I do something with the three boxes from my three NIBs.

Especially since the three pins are long gone!

#9 3 years ago

Break the box down and push it flat up against a wall in your garage. Put the foam in a garbage bag and stick them on a shelf. You can use it to ship any other pin which is much better than all the other crazy ways people try to ship pins. At least this is what i do.

#10 3 years ago

If you have kids, let them turn it into a cardboard spaceship to play around with and decorate. Then just toss it when they're done with it.

#11 3 years ago

Recycle it.

#12 3 years ago

For my first NIB game, I cut up the box to reuse as needed, but did this...

20200609_191130 (resized).jpg20200609_191130 (resized).jpg
    #13 3 years ago

I'd keep it if you can store it in a safe, out of the way place.
    Still kicking myself for not keeping the box my ST:TNG came in.
    Steve

#14 3 years ago

The box has never even made it inside the car.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you have kids, let them turn it into a cardboard spaceship to play around with and decorate. Then just toss it when they're done with it.

This. It’s fun for cats too.

If and when you do cut it up, save the piece with the serial number on it. It is a good reminder of the serial number of your game and may be desired from a documentation standpoint if you ever sell.

#16 3 years ago

Here is a good use for the old box (was my first NIB TSPP). Kids spent many hours playing in the Stern Bungalow. We added vinyl decal sides, carpet, and lights.

DSCF0243 (resized).JPGDSCF0243 (resized).JPG
    #17 3 years ago

My only NIB was STLE... and the box was cut up and recycled as soon as I confirmed no damage and "working".
    I briefly stored the foam pieces; but even they are gone now.

I've never asked if a game had it's original box; just don't see the point.

#18 3 years ago

Keep it or brake it down so you can reuse it if you ever move and want your pin safe it is nice to have the box also if you plan to sell the game having the box makes shipping it easier and some buyers may want the box.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

[quoted image]

Yes, definitely do this!!!

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

[quoted image]

#21 3 years ago

Toss it. I never understood why some people keep them. It’s no different than all the other boxes you throw out.

#22 3 years ago

Throw it off the roof.

#23 3 years ago

Only piece of a box I ever kept.

20190816_125229.jpg20190816_125229.jpg
    #24 3 years ago

used the box as leg protectors

#25 3 years ago

First NIB for me was also WOZ ECLE. I recycled the box. While cardboard is nice to use for the above reasons I personally am a bit worried about storing it ever since I heard that cockroaches like laying their eggs in corrugated cardboard.

If stored somewhere hot and dry it would probably be fine though.

#26 3 years ago

Its just a box not a bar of gold, throw it away.

#27 3 years ago

Depends how long you keep a game for and how collectable it becomes in the future.

A BBB with original box and paperwork would sell for more than one without.

Most collectables sell higher with boxes.

But, it's a complete pain when they are pinball sized!!!!

#28 3 years ago

I fold mine flat and stand them sideways behind the pins. Can’t see them and great for shipping out if sold later.

#29 3 years ago

Cut out the serial number and frame it. I like that idea.

#30 3 years ago

do you keep all of your amazon boxes?

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Charliew65:

do you keep all of your amazon boxes?

Yes, many of them. I use them and the packing materials to sell and ship parts. Saves lots of money.

#32 3 years ago

I vote keep it-it will come in handy later.

Save your box for gloryhole.jpgSave your box for gloryhole.jpg
    #33 3 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

I really don't plan to buy any other NIB.

Famous last words.

Oh and its cardboard, break it down, burn it, make a fort for urself, whatever.

#34 3 years ago

I use mine for under the car when changing the oil.

#35 3 years ago
    AB4B318A-E993-4847-A830-3DEB8B426E6F (resized).jpegAB4B318A-E993-4847-A830-3DEB8B426E6F (resized).jpeg
    #36 3 years ago
    471CF7BA-C2BE-4314-9B06-4554FA6D9C1B (resized).jpeg471CF7BA-C2BE-4314-9B06-4554FA6D9C1B (resized).jpeg
    #37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aquapin:

Here is a good use for the old box (was my first NIB TSPP). Kids spent many hours playing in the Stern Bungalow. We added vinyl decal sides, carpet, and lights.
    [quoted image]

If you added just one more thing, it would be well suited for most Pinsiders.

B23FB361-2130-43EC-A4B4-B3BF1986DB75 (resized).jpegB23FB361-2130-43EC-A4B4-B3BF1986DB75 (resized).jpeg

#38 3 years ago

Here’s what Gomez and Ritchie did at TPF a few years ago. Pinball confessions skit. When it was over, I ran up and grabbed the sign that Steve was using during the skit. He was gracious enough to sign it too!

FFA84B1C-4988-4006-B41E-9A27DDED074C (resized).jpegFFA84B1C-4988-4006-B41E-9A27DDED074C (resized).jpegEDB5EB93-4C15-45ED-9271-CB4919B4592C (resized).jpegEDB5EB93-4C15-45ED-9271-CB4919B4592C (resized).jpeg
    #39 3 years ago

Cut the box up and use the cardboard to help move future games.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I vote keep it-it will come in handy later.
    [quoted image]

I am disappointed in pinside. It took 32 posts for this picture to be posted

#41 3 years ago

Unless you are making a house, throw it out. It's a box.

#42 3 years ago

Careful talking about how useful the boxes are, next thing you know Stern will charge for one.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

Careful talking about how useful the boxes are, next thing you know Stern will charge for one.

Its already built into the cost but they would raise it if were not careful.

#44 3 years ago

I used to keep them and then realized I was crazy. Get rid of it unless you need some card board for some reason.

#45 3 years ago

What I am really getting tired of is all the pallets that come with the games. My local dump says no more pallets. I guess bond fire time at some point.

#46 3 years ago

I saved the part that said Metallica LE and tossed the rest -

#47 3 years ago

Save the box if you were/are into break dancing. Those refridgerator boxes back in the day were perfect for doing all kinds of break dance moves. The pics are stock photos. Didnt have a pic of a Stern box. I threw mine out.

refridg box (resized).jpgrefridg box (resized).jpgrefridg box 2 (resized).jpgrefridg box 2 (resized).jpg
    #48 3 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

Throw it off the roof.

Just remember to take the machine out first...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #49 3 years ago
    Quoted from ctviss:

Just remember to take the machine out first...

Unless it's a Thunderbirds.

#50 3 years ago

Much better than trash bag for moving garden or lawn branches as you trim your trees and bushes Big open hole ez to toss waste in . Drag box to compost or burn pile . Just dont tamp the waste so pours out easy when unload . When box too ragged out from that use repurpose a poor mans concrete slab for crawling under car for oil change . Last use target backer plinking / or archery . All valid reasons to explain to your wife why you bought another NIB game next time .
    Enjoy the day Shane

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convince-me-either-way-keep-or-throw-nib-box?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.