(Topic ID: 161344)

Converting Voltages

By SealClubber

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am seriously contemplating using MyPinballs Custom Bally/Stern Controller along with a Bally/Stern cabinet to get my Apocalypse Now Playfield running. But I need to ensure it is compatible. The parts are all Gottlieb but the wiring looks very Bally like. From the French schematics I have for Jeutel games, it seems their playfields were designed to use 12VAC for GI, 12VDC for controlled lamps, and 35VDC for the solenoids.
Bally/Sterns used 7.3VAC for GI, 5.4VDC for controlled lamps, and 43VDC for solenoids.
What would I need to do to convert the lamps to run on Bally power? Just change out the bulbs?
What would I need to knock down the power to the solenoids from 43v to 35vdc?
Thank you.

#2 7 years ago

don't worry about the solenoid voltage difference, you'll just get a slightly faster playing game with higher voltage. Often if you measure the voltage on 25V games it'll be 30+. You might want to worry about continuous duty relays/coils as they'll heat up faster on a higher voltage, but I doublt the voltage difference is enough to bother

Are any of the schematics online? Usually the GI circuit is just a ton of lamps wired in parallel, in which case all you need to do is use the right lamps. Do you know what lamps the 12V circuit used?

For the controlled lamps, have you made sure that they're individually grounded lamps, like bally/stern/gottlieb, and not a lamp matrix, or individually powered (common ground), or some other strange control system? Most likely it'll still just be a matter of changing the bulbs, but it will require a bit more verification.

#3 7 years ago

The controlled lamps are a single common power braid with a single grounding lug to each. Not sure on the exact bulb type but they are #44 bayonet sized. All the manual says is 12V2A for the bulb. I am away on business so can't check actual bulb number. But because of the size, I was thinking I could just swap to a #44/47. It has a switch matrix but don't think it has a lamp matrix. I tried posting the schematics on ipdb but they were never approved or something. Most of it is in French.

#4 7 years ago

if it's got a single wire and a common wire on the controlled lamps, with no diode, you should be safe there to just use #44s and a bally board.

#5 7 years ago

So lamps are easy. Its the solenoids and other items which run off that bus I have to worry about. They would be about 20% overpowered. Would a large resistor/varistor work? Or some kind of step down interconnect board?

#6 7 years ago

If you're worried about just running them at a slightly higher power, I'd check other taps on your transformer, or buy a different transformer. But I wouldn't worry about it personally.

#7 7 years ago

Can you put the schematics and manual on Dropbox or something?

#8 7 years ago

I tried loading them to the IPDB again.
I can also email them to you if you want them.

I am more worried about breaking the plastics more than anything. Its not like I will find a replacement. I doubt anyone would make repros of these either, though here is the best chance to do it. My playfield set is NOS.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-voltages and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.