5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Oldgoat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm not really sure where to put this, so let me know if there is a more appropriate place. I bought an old (from the 40's) electronic shuffleboard scoreboard. It is very simple in concept. The backglass has two columns of numbers from 1 to 21. There are lights behind each number. There are three stepper units, each with a stepper and reset coil. They are all large coils.

Two of the steppers are for each of the two players. Two buttons on the front of the scoreboard. Press player one, the stepper is activated and a lightbulb behind a number lights up. Press it again and the the light advances to the next number. Very, very simple.

(The third stepper is for the coin-up. All of the guts that would have triggered this are missing, but it had to be a slide that hit a leaf switch. You had to put 2 coins to get to play a game to 15, 4 to play to 21.)

So, the only constant voltage draw is for one light to show the scores for each of player 1 and 2 and several, what I will call GI lights. The intermittent draw is for a coil to fire, one at a time. Given where I want to put this, I'd like to make it operate by battery. I have some room to work with since I would not need the smallish transformer, so even a rechargeable battery like you see with tools would potentially work.
    What do you recommend?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You need to measure how much voltage the transformer puts out.
    Transformers deliver about 20 watts per pound.

I'll first have to try to wire it up as there was no power cord, but there are three fuses two 3 and one 5 amp. There are two types of coils with numbers I can't locate, even on PBR (although I know he has lots of things not listed). However, they are 116-k-302 4.5 OHM and 116-K-304 11 OHM (at least it looks like 11 to me).

#5 5 years ago

Thanks. This is actually a Star Electro Score. Very, very obscure. In fact the only reference I can find is an article in the May 7th 1949 edition of Billboard magazine that says "R E Smith of the Pacific Shuffleboard Company has returned from Sacramento where he made some deals for the Moderne Deluxe Shuffleboard and Star Electro Score scoring unit" and another from the June 4th, 1949 edition where 'it is reported that R E Smith ran into snow on a trip to Reno to sign up a new distributor, that sales of Electro Score are good, and he has been "pushing Katz wax"

It will be interesting to see how similar the schematics are

1 week later
    #6 5 years ago

OK, finally had a chance to get to this. Three lugs, voltages are 30, 45, 45. Amperage is dancing around 0. Too little amperage to even get a flicker out of a 44 bulb. While I guess it is transforming voltage, the lack of amperage makes things a bit moot. So, is there something stupid I am missing or is the transformer shot? (Damn, I wish I understood electrical components better...) And if so, (transformer shot) any thoughts on how to jump straight to battery power?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I am not sure exactly what you are doing but keep in mind you can't send DC volts through a transformer.

Not doing anything right now, unfortunately

At some point, I would like to convert this thing to run on battery. However, right now, I'm trying to get the thing to work as originally intended and then convert to battery. Virtually all the wires running from the transformer to a Jones plug are cut/missing. Anyhow, the transformer (plugged into std 120V) seems to produce virtually no amps so I'm guessing it must have an issue. And, therefore, I thought maybe I could bypass step 1 (get this working as intended, plugged in and through transformer) and go straight to step 2 (convert to battery)

#9 5 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on what I might be experiencing here with the transformer? I'm fine with trying to get things to work as intended:
    outlet--> transformer --> coils and lights. I'm just scratching my head a bit over the inability of the transformer to generate enough to power on a 44 bulb.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-to-battery?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.