(Topic ID: 255879)

Converting old VHS tapes to digital

By jhanley

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FC82FA8E-26FD-4E43-BAE3-74408D984533 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I don't know who else to ask but I have about 7 VHS tapes that are over 20 years old that I am afraid will go bad. I plan to have them converted to Digital or DVD.Whats the best thing to do so I have lasting memories of my family ? Thank you

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Convert them to Betamax.
    Seriously there is likely a transfer service you can contract to convert for you, I know there are a couple in my town, but I'm in a big city.

I was planning to use a service. What is better, DVD or digital ? DVD's are probably going on the wayside ,correct ?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Costco has a service that will convert them. I used it a while back and I was satisfied with it. It was not all that expensive either. Go to their photo department.

Closest Costco is 250 miles from me.

#15 4 years ago

Wow, thanks for the information. I'm not to good with technology. I just got my first smart phone this last January.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I have been chipping away at VHS, HI8, and standard 8mm video almost every night to try and get our family stuff digitized.
    We have so much, to have it done by any of the services would be pretty expensive and I have things setup to basically "fire and forget". I also want to try to minimize the capture compression rate and then work down from there as this is the LAST time I ever want to do this. If anyone wants to know what I use, PM me and I can let you know.
    If you want to do this yourself and you want the best quality for your conversions, you WILL NEED to invest in a TBC (Time Base Corrector) due to the stretching and aging of the old media. Without this device, many tapes will have a distorted look and some capture software will freeze up and stop working. Thankfully, these devices that used to cost thousands of dollars, can be had on eBay for under $100 these days so its not a bad investment.

I thought about doing it myself but I'm not to good with technology. Mechanical stuff I can do though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-old-vhs-tapes-to-digital?tu=jhanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.