Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ejacques
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

The title of the post kinda says it all....I have a fully populated EBD LE playfield and I'd like to just play it. A friend has Mr. And Mrs. Pacman (the same funky bally cabinet).

Does it sound feasible to drop the EBD LE playfield and my altek mpu into Mr and Mrs Pacman, switch the dipswitches on the altek to change games and just start flipping?

If this does work, I'll be on the hunt for a trashed Mr and Mrs Pacman or EBD LE to throw my playfield in.

Thanks,

Ed

#2 8 years ago

At a minimum you will also have to change the ROMs on the Squawk-n-Talk board. If M&MPac has an aux. lamp driver I'd think the swap would work, but I've never swapped these two titles before so I can't say for sure.

#3 8 years ago

You will need to do a reset on your Altek board as well. Just changing the dip switches leaves old data in memory and some odd things happen.

#4 8 years ago

Never thought of that. I have a crappy Mr & Mrs Pac man that already has an alltek board & I would really like to do That same "upgrade" to as well.
Guess I will need to start collecting parts. Great idea!

Does the LE EBD & the standard EBD use the same playfield? (Same dimensions?)

#5 8 years ago

Glad you said that...I completely forgot about that.

Quoted from WonkoTSane:

You will need to do a reset on your Altek board as well. Just changing the dip switches leaves old data in memory and some odd things happen.

#6 8 years ago

I just went through one Mr. and Mrs. Pac, sold another as a project, and parted out yet another one. I'm currently working on an EBD LE project.

I can tell you that Mr. and Mrs. Pac does have an Aux Lamp Driver board.

The backbox dimensions are not actually the same; the upper backglass may be the same size (I didn't check, and just sold the Pac,) but the lower one that covers the displays is totally different. That said, the EBD LE one could be recreated easily enough.

Is there any reason you wouldn't use any other Bally cabinet? Unless you already have an EBD LE backglass, I'd think it's almost easier to find a repro of the original backglass. My understanding is that the EBD and LE playfields are the same except for the lamp sockets. There was no real hardware change in Bally games between those two.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I just went through one Mr. and Mrs. Pac, sold another as a project, and parted out yet another one. I'm currently working on an EBD LE project.
I can tell you that Mr. and Mrs. Pac does have an Aux Lamp Driver board.
The backbox dimensions are not actually the same; the upper backglass may be the same size (I didn't check, and just sold the Pac,) but the lower one that covers the displays is totally different. That said, the EBD LE one could be recreated easily enough.
Is there any reason you wouldn't use any other Bally cabinet? Unless you already have an EBD LE backglass, I'd think it's almost easier to find a repro of the original backglass. My understanding is that the EBD and LE playfields are the same except for the lamp sockets. There was no real hardware change in Bally games between those two.

Placement of the score displays would be a problem if you used other than an original EBD lightboard with a standard Bally cabinet setup.
Gatekeeper is a big EBD fanboy, he would likely know if the EBDLE back glass set would work in the M&MPM backbox.

#8 8 years ago

I believe the playfield for the EBD LE was a bit narrower in width. I do not remember the difference.

#9 8 years ago

I have a Pac man cabinet for sale. Even if you are not interested in bying it, I could provide measurements for you.

#10 8 years ago

Did you try the EBD playfield in your Vector? I've tried to swap playfields between bally games a couple of times without much success. It's like there is no exact wiring standard between playfield and backbox.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from kursiv:

Did you try the EBD playfield in your Vector? I've tried to swap playfields between bally games a couple of times without much success. It's like there is no exact wiring standard between playfield and backbox.

Some games will be compatible if the head uses all the same boards and is laid out in the same way.

Like you can probably put a Dolly PF into a Kiss. A Lost World PF will probably work in a Globetrotters. A Kings of Steel will probably work in a Black Pyramid... etc..

A black Pyramid PF will Not work in a Lost world (different rectifier board, different sound board, aux lamp driver board, different wiring harness).

#12 8 years ago

You're right but you will probably have to repin some molex connectors to match the wires one by one. After trying to put a fireball II playfield in a xenon, medusa and speakeasy, I came to the conclusion that bally maybe deliberately made them incompatible.

#13 8 years ago

I have a spare 8BDLE white panel that holds the displays if anyone is interested.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I have a spare 8BDLE white panel that holds the displays if anyone is interested.

Yes, will pm you..

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Yes, will pm you..

Will contact you when I get.home from work.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Will contact you when I get.home from work.

I am in Ixtapa Mexico now, will return Tuesday.

1 year later
#17 7 years ago

Old thread, but has anyone actually done this swap out?

2 weeks later
#18 7 years ago

Looks like I'm finally going to get my hands on a Mr and Mrs. Pacman cab...so we will find out.

Quoted from dasvis:

Old thread, but has anyone actually done this swap out?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Looks like I'm finally going to get my hands on a Mr and Mrs. Pacman cab...so we will find out.

I have one if anyone wants a solid one for a reasonable price.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Some games will be compatible if the head uses all the same boards and is laid out in the same way.
Like you can probably put a Dolly PF into a Kiss. A Lost World PF will probably work in a Globetrotters. A Kings of Steel will probably work in a Black Pyramid... etc..
A black Pyramid PF will Not work in a Lost world (different rectifier board, different sound board, aux lamp driver board, different wiring harness).

Yeah old thread but have to ask about your comment. I have an EBD CE the hindged backglass like Black Pyramid. I want to put it in a SBM cab. Can it be done?

#21 7 years ago

If anyone is interested, i also have a Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man cab for sale.

#22 7 years ago

I would be in the club, as I have a Mr & Mrs and can get a playfield - but the wiring harness scares me. What do you guys plan to do for the harness?

#23 7 years ago

Haven't seen the cab yet to be sure. But I know my first step will be to see what reaches and what doesn't. Sounds like the main issue is going to be some computer controlled lamps from what I've read on another thread here.

Quoted from dasvis:

I would be in the club, as I have a Mr & Mrs and can get a playfield - but the wiring harness scares me. What do you guys plan to do for the harness?

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Haven't seen the cab yet to be sure. But I know my first step will be to see what reaches and what doesn't. Sounds like the main issue is going to be some computer controlled lamps from what I've read on another thread here.

What about the backglass & the "LE" lower glass. Is there a source for those? I suppose BG resto if we could come up with a good sample for him.

#25 7 years ago

Haven't looked yet but I pretty much assumed BG Restore was probably my only real chance.

Quoted from dasvis:

What about the backglass & the "LE" lower glass. Is there a source for those? I suppose BG resto if we could come up with a good sample for him.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-mr-and-mrs-pacman-to-ebd-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.