Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I am working on a recently acquired Gtb Spirit that needs to be converted to run on 110V. From what I have read and been told, the 2 primary sides of both transformers need to have the jumper wires of their 110V and com tabs switched from series to parallel. This makes sense for the smaller transformer on the lh side of the cabinet, as the 110V and COM tabs were wired in series, but the large transformer on the rh side of the cabinet is wired much differently. On this one the lines coming in to the primary are going to the 100V and 120V tabs, with a jumper going between the other 100V and 120V tabs, and nothing going to the com tabs like the other one has. This transformer is a Gtb #C-19554-3 and is not referenced in the manual anywhere, so I'm not sure why it's like this or if it's safe to wire like the other transformer. I have a domestic HH and BH here to compare, but they both use different transformers that are single sided an don't take jumpers. I'll post a pic in a little bit, but can someone please look at their imported sys 80 and tell me how that rh transformer is supposed to be wired? Thanks!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Here the other left side transformer just for the heck of it

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Have a look at this manual....

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/A-J/Gottlieb%20[Technical%20Seminar%20Workbook]%20[English].pdf

....specifically pages 5 and 6. Pg.6 shows the wiring for the primary side (230V) of your transformer. Pg.5 shows the primary side wired for 115V input.

#4 8 years ago

Pinballer73, that link doesn't work...

#5 8 years ago

interesting ... The url doesn't work because of a Pinside bug! The URL has brackets in it, which are getting filtered out, probably because Pinside assumes they contain markup code.

Use this link:
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/A-J/

And scroll down to "Gottlieb Technical Seminar Workbook".

#6 8 years ago

Thanks pin73 and pez, I will look again.

#7 8 years ago

Ok. That tech manual does show both of my 230V Transformers 19554 and 19550, which is a step in the right direction, and verifies that their 115V taps should be wired in series to make 230V. However, my problem is why is my 19554 shown in my first pic not wired that way...

#8 8 years ago

Who knows, people do strange things. Maybe the previous connections were done for voltage supply issues or the mistaken belief that they were going to high-tap the flippers or something stupid like that. Make the wiring mods and leave the secondary wiring disconnected, power up the primary and test the secondary taps for the correct voltages before reconnecting the secondary side wiring.

#9 8 years ago

Just looked at pics of 2 other 230V spirits that have the same primary wiring on the large transformer as mine, so i don't think it's something done by mistake or a hack. Can any USA spirit owners show the wiring on the large transformer? Thanks

#10 8 years ago

Bump to the top for Sunday morning. If anyone can look inside their spirit and see how the large transformer is wired on the primary side please let me know. 3 euro games so far don't match the schematic in the manual so not sure how to proceed. Thanks

#11 8 years ago

The connections shown in your first photo above will allow connection to a mains supply of 220V. Simply disconnect the wiring from these terminals and connect as per your other transformer, two windings in parallel, connected to 110V mains supply.

#12 8 years ago

Oh and as I mentioned earlier, if you are worried about the output voltages being too high or low and damaging your game circuitry. Simply remove the secondary wiring and test each voltage tab to the COM terminal/s with your meter. If within range, then power down and reconnect the wiring.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks pinballer73. So I should not be concerned that the com tabs were not used for the large transformer in the first pic, but were used for the smaller?

Here are pics of both transformers now with 120 windings in parallel, but haven't plugged in yet.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 8 years ago

Yep, that looks correct, if your main supply voltage is between 110 & 120V.

If you are in doubt, prior to powering up the game, I would disconnect the secondary wiring or remove all the fuses directly after the transformer and disconnect any plugs immediately after the transformer. Then power on the game and test the secondary voltages. That way, if something is a miss, you won't go applying the wrong voltages to the secondary wiring/circuits of the game.

I can't answer why they were connected that way before. The schematic diagram in the manual referenced above shows the common tab used on both occasions.

#15 8 years ago

Cool, thank you very much for your help and looking it over.

#16 8 years ago

No worries. Please report back when you get it all done.

3 years later
#17 5 years ago

I’ve had a couple people contact me recently asking if this voltage conversion wiring worked, so I wanted to resurrect the thread briefly as I never reported back the results.

The final pictures posted above with 2 jumper wires bridging each pair of 120 and com tabs worked fine. Hope that helps future Spirit importers!

#18 5 years ago

Yep - confirmed. Thanks for the help!

1 week later
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

I’ve had a couple people contact me recently asking if this voltage conversion wiring worked, so I wanted to resurrect the thread briefly as I never reported back the results.
The final pictures posted above with 2 jumper wires bridging each pair of 120 and com tabs worked fine. Hope that helps future Spirit importers!

Did you do this to both transformers?

5 months later
#20 4 years ago

Following....lol.
Thanks for the tip finding thread!

2 years later
#21 2 years ago

Besides the transformer wiring is there any other steps to converting from 220 to 110?

Working on an imported Punk! and would appreciate the help!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Besides the transformer wiring is there any other steps to converting from 220 to 110?
Working on an imported Punk! and would appreciate the help!

The main power cord just goes through a filter and then to the transformers and service outlet. There's nothing else.

Check your System 80 cabinet schematic... it shows both wiring configurations for 110 and 220.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-gottlieb-system-80-from-220v-to-110v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.