(Topic ID: 112622)

Converting Got sys3 flippers to b/w

By Atomicboy

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I have heard of people doing this with great results before, but not sure what coils people have gone with.

Any particular wpc system in particular that the flipper mechs were taken from, as the stops/plunger combos can be different?

#4 9 years ago

Viper - I was thinking 11630s actually, but thought I'd ask, as I know people have done it. Lots of close shots, but the long ramp on the right is the kicker!

I was aware I would have to go with always closed EOS's as well.

#6 9 years ago

Oh sorry, Stargate. I linked the game, but forgot to mention.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

BTW I have no problems whatsoever making the right ramp from the left flipper with the stock Gottlieb coils in SG if all the circuitry is working correctly (EOS, cab switch, new cap) and rebuilt mechs.

And either does my friend, we rebuilt his flippers. I just want to make sure whatever we pick still makes the ramps, as let's face it, the ramps in this game are sort of like IJ - the make it or break it for whether your flippers are ok or not.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

This is just goofy. All that is needed is to ask Steve young for the custom sys3 coil stops. They have a longer stop which limits the amount of flipper travel. Thus making the original sys3 flippers more Bally/Williams feeling. All for about $5 and without changing coils or assemblies.

It's not just for the bat travel but for the feel. I have heard people say the machines play better after. I guess I'm not sure really why that is, all I know is don't like the feel of sys3 flippers, and I don't think that is for the bat travel alone.

Does anyone know if the bats are the same length and size as Williams?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

i guess if you want to pretend that system3 games aren't really system3 games, you can do that flipper conversion.

As far as the flippers, that's exactly what we want

I don't think it's just the travel. They just seem hard to aim with, strong still, but not as easy to pick your shots as with b/w or anything DE->stern, even early SS including system80 and 1.

My friend loves SG, as do I, and when I heard in the SG club thread people were doing this, or had done it, I thought great, an answer to the crappy flipper feel for this great game.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

just rebuilding the original sys3 flippers and the modified coil stops will get you what you want. without doing a wacky conversion. a new plunger/link and coil sleeve and the custom stops costs very little. the rest of the mech really isn't any different than bally/williams.

Have you done this? Again, I am only going by what I read, and people suggesting this replacement of the whole mech. I definitely like the coil stop idea the best, if it does cure the problem, as that's much cheap with much less work.

I'm almost scared to bring this up to Steve... Can anyone else hear the conversation in their head now ... "what the hell do you want to do that for??" lol. Steve's the best though, and best made parts out there.

Are there even coil stops that would fit that are longer? Has anyone actually done this then, replaced the coil stops alone?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-got-sys3-flippers-to-bw?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.