• Latest reply 1 year ago by matt1999
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

display segment info (resized).png
robo (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Hey everyone,
So I had a random thought, and couldn't really find anything by searching the forum.
I have a robocop pinball machine which has a display missing a display line. I most likely have to get the board repaired. Which got me thinking, is there a proven way to put a small lcd screen in instead? Has anyone here done something similar to another alpha-numeric game?
I would want to keep the rules stock, and use the original wiring harness for all the sensors, targets, etc. I would basically need to figure out a way to change the display data from the alphanumeric input to one that would connect to as well as show up on a lcd screen.
I realize it wouldn't be easy, but if someone has done this before, I'd love to read a thread on how they did it. Again, I'm not looking to reprogram any rules. Just change the display format. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has already found a way/program to bridge the display connection both physically and data input wise as well. I'm up for a challenge and learning a new program, just wanted to see if anyone has done this so that their journey can be used as a bit of a guide so that I'm not going in completely blind hahaha.
[quoted image]

While I've not done it, nor have I see a thread on Pinside discuss it (doesn't mean it's not here somewhere), my assumption is that you would need some sort of data converter that receives the input for the numerical display and outputs in a format the LCD would understand. Might be a Arduino project for someone with the technical savvy (beyond my skillset). Interesting idea, however.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

To successfully convert between two systems (or emulate one system on another system) it is necessary to have a very good understanding of both systems. That is my experience from having written software emulators. I have never built a hardware emulator.
Alphanumeric display output is actually fair simple. Numeric displays contain 7 segments and the dot/comma (for a total of 8 elements). Alphanumeric displays contain 14 segments, the dot and comma (for a total of 16 segments). The display board consists of 16 individual displays on the top and 16 individual displays on the bottom. That correspond to 32 displays. The individual top and bottom displays are controlled simultaneously as a strobe. The configuration for the top and bottom segments is set and then strobed. The next configuration is then strobed and so on until all 16 top and bottom configurations are strobed. It then cycles back to the first strobe. It's somewhat like how the old cathode ray tubes refresh their images. The image does not flick due to the way the human eye perceives the light even though the electronics responds immediately.
To build a converter you would need to understand how this works and importantly the timing because the signal is constantly changing. It would need to store the entire image for one complete cycle (from strobe 1 to strobe 16) and then construct that image to display on the LCD.
Note that Williams changed the on and off state of the configuration from the double (7) alphanumeric + double (7) numeric display (such as Swords of Fury) to the double alphanumeric panel (such as Black Knight 2000). The Data East on/off state remained the same for all their boards.

Well, after that explanation I think you need to change your Pinside name.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mr_Tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-from-alpha-numeric-to-lcd?tu=Mr_Tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.