(Topic ID: 98373)

Converting EMs to SSs (and creating replica machines)

By mfresh

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 309 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 141 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Valve Radios.jpg
    sciencefairregen.png
    100P1.jpg
    Goldblum.jpg
    nospam.gif
    dr-evil-spam.jpeg
    image.jpg
    Spirits.JPG
    Tp.JPG
    DSCN2945.JPG
    DSCN2941.JPG
    Bill 074.jpg
    Tonka.JPG
    d9366956-c577-46a9-926c-8d2e4ed95146.jpg
    5d1f60e6e3559427bcd3a6b9c35c6836.jpg
    gpk.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevefury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 5 years ago

From the article:

"And, in some cases, converting EMs to SSs. “People are reluctant to convert their EMs – especially people who know their stuff – because EMs have a special feel to them,” he says. “But sometimes they can’t be fixed, so I chuck in a load of electronics and program them so that the game rules are the same as the originals.”

Here he admits to not knowing the "stuff" and apparently coils, wires and switches are too complicated for him. Or he just doesn't want to clean it. I think a lot of modern college tech-heads are intimidated by cable bundles and rows of AC operated relays.

This is like ripping the heart out of a friend because they fail to understand them....and creating something they perceive as "better". Like this:

Before conversion
    After conversion

Personally, I wouldn't buy that for a dollar. Nor would I for a franken pin.

#50 5 years ago

I used to light my charcoal grill with old K-1 fuel left over from the winter heaters. Maybe not the best thing to do but it worked. Moo ha ha ha

#102 5 years ago

I live in the deep South. Coming from Minnesota, after 30 some years I am still looking for Soda Pop. I am beginning to think Soda Pop doesn't exist here.

See 'yall later......... Ha ha ha ha

#119 5 years ago

My sister back in the70's used to buy those pink TAB sodas. Those were truly gawd aweful!

Tab.jpeg

#130 5 years ago

I always wanted one of these for scientific study:
    0524-xray.png

I remember these when I was a kid. I never had one though. It was always cheap enough to tantalize yet too expensive to actually grasp. If only I had one of these back then all of the world problems would be solved:
    0524-compguide.png

I also very much wanted one of these teletype machines. If I only had that teletype machine then I wouldn't need the x-ray glasses:
    thm_73_Nov-76_Teletype_model15.jpg

#156 5 years ago

Atari

Enough said.

#157 5 years ago

How about this:

16.jpg

#178 5 years ago

Year: 1984

#192 5 years ago

LIS.jpg
    If I had one of these then my life would be fulfilled

#210 5 years ago

Munsters- Dream car

#211 5 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Me Too!
    Quite a bit on ship models and some car models.
    Ken

You're not alone in building models. My "biggest" project about 25 years ago was to build a 5'1" model of the Titanic. I did a lot of research in the ship (Manual research, no computers yet) and built it from scratch out of birch plywood and balsa wood.
    It is 4-channel radio controlled. Has a flood sensor warning and automatic billage pump. Has 3 fluorescent tubes inside that illuminate zillions of side portholes and windows. About 30 rice-size bulbs around the decks. One 24v industrial motor drives the 3 props and if the size doesn't get attention then the car horn does.

No it does not sink (At least not supposed to).... But my friends say I should have also built a radio controlled ice burg.

I keep it in a glass display case now, these are some old photos about 20 years ago:
    Titanic 1.jpg
    Titanic.jpg

It has one major flaw. I built the ballast weighting inside the ship and it's not removable. It's 3 or 4 heavy cast iron blocks in the bottom. I should have made it removable for transport because the dang thing weighs about 80lbs for proper displacement!

#218 5 years ago

Something else I wanted real bad. If I only had then life would have been complete:

Farrah Fawcett

#254 5 years ago

ad029.jpg

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

The only reason I can see for doing an EM to SS conversion is strictly for the intellectual challenge of it.

I believe this is actually backward. The intellectual challenge would be converting an SS to EM. A person would need to figure out the relay logic circuits themselves instead of buying prefabricated boards which are just waiting preconfigured code. EM to SS sounds like the easier way, doesn't it?

I have some electronic bench type programs and logic gate simulators. I tried to simulate one of my EM games on those programs by arranging inputs/outputs of various gates (and, or, nand, J-K etc) and the pointless project became so large that I abandoned it.

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

What would a modern-day EM from scratch machine be like? Something something Gottleib. No P-ROC, Aurdino, RPi, or any processors. With today's manufacturing abilities & wisdom from previous EM machines, it would be interesting to see.
    No sound processors, so you will have to use the tech of a See & Say for soundbytes.

For sound on a modern more complicated EM project, I can envision expanding the simple bell and chime into a more nickelodeon configuration. Percussion drums and numatic horns for variety. Oh, what a machine it would be. Imagine a shaker emitting steam/smoke while the ball is caught in a hole.

#300 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I have tentative plans to do this... but with the help of SS technology. Otherwise just too massive an undertaking to reinvent the wheel. Heck, the whole orchestra!

I support your project long as a restorable EM isn't destroyed in the process. This is what I mean: I restored an 1887 pump organ a couple years ago. It took about 300hrs labor to complete. Most people made bars and desks out of them rather than repair them. It would have been much more easy to just rip the soul from it and install a bank of switches and rig it to Casio keyboard circuits. Just because I could, and an easier route. But in the end I'd have a soul-less franken wood shell organ nobody else would want.

Actually, you wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel by designing and building an EM pin from scratch. You could incorporate only the devices and things you like etc. I think I'd like to do such a project, if I had the time and the equipment/spare parts.

My avatar picture? Shhhh

1 week later
    #307 5 years ago

I used to love these "P" boxes:
    sciencefairregen.png

100P1.jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 107.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevefury.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside