(Topic ID: 98373)

Converting EMs to SSs (and creating replica machines)

By mfresh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 309 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Valve Radios.jpg
    sciencefairregen.png
    100P1.jpg
    Goldblum.jpg
    nospam.gif
    dr-evil-spam.jpeg
    image.jpg
    Spirits.JPG
    Tp.JPG
    DSCN2945.JPG
    DSCN2941.JPG
    Bill 074.jpg
    Tonka.JPG
    d9366956-c577-46a9-926c-8d2e4ed95146.jpg
    5d1f60e6e3559427bcd3a6b9c35c6836.jpg
    gpk.JPG
    There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 9 years ago

This guy is doing some very interesting stuff with EMs, single handedly, in SA:

http://pavlovpinball.com/weird-science-converting-ems-to-ss-and-creating-replica-machines/

#2 9 years ago

Sure would be nice to see an article that some guy is converting SS to EM's in large numbers for a change.

Ken

#3 9 years ago

I get that it can be done, I just don't know why it's being done.

#6 9 years ago

I originally thought this would be cool. Then I read the article. Not a fan.

What EM ever couldn't have the controls fixed? He claims they were "too far gone", yet Tim Arnold was able to create a TKO with just a schematic. I guess Tim is considerably smarter than this genius.

#7 9 years ago

It would be like converting a charcoal grill to propane.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Sure would be nice to see an article that some guy is converting SS to EM's in large numbers for a change.
    Ken

Phoenix or Firepower, ya! A Gottlieb Totem EM would also be cool.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Oh oh! Here we go again!

Ken

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Oh oh! Here we go again!

Man, I had a whole poem written when I was mowing the lawn on Sunday, but I figured I would just leave it at this.

#11 9 years ago

Very interesting article. Actually I don't understand why no-one came up with a EM interface for P-Roc, or just a simple generic EM to SS boardset. That way you can leave out the bottom board of relais and just use the coils and switches on an EM playfield. You can easily improve the rules as well. Might as well be a stripped down version of P-Roc boards since less parts are involved. It could save a lot of EMs from the dumpster.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Very interesting article. Actually I don't understand why no-one came up with a EM interface for P-Roc, or just a simple generic EM to SS boardset. That way you can leave out the bottom board of relais and just use the coils and switches on an EM playfield. You can easily improve the rules as well. Might as well be a stripped down version of P-Roc boards since less parts are involved. It could save a lot of EMs from the dumpster.

This was already done by Kerry Imming with PinKit. The test bed was a Gottlieb Solar City (EM to SS). Then, the system was used to build additional Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons. http://www.planetimming.com/PinKit/

In many ways, using a PROC (which requires some form of PC or Stand Alone Computer PCB) is overkill to repopulate an EM. Especially if you stick with the original score reels and even Bell Chimes. It would certainly be useful if you wanted to "upgrade" an EM playfield to DMD/LCD and Digital Sounds.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Oh oh! Here we go again!
    Ken

No No Please i cant take it!

I am with EM-PINMAN on converting an SS to an EM,i would actually like to see a Heathkit style pinball made again but all electro mechanical. Call it a throwback to simplification.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

No No Please i cant take it!

You know, I just love Propane

Ken

#15 9 years ago

Back in the days of EM pins

BBQ grills had charcoal within

My daddy taught me to grill food right

I think I might fire up the Q tonight

#16 9 years ago

Reels to displays...yuck.

#17 9 years ago

When you're out of coal...
    but you wanna grill on.... Propane!

Don't forget this fact.... Charcoal is black!
    Propane!

We don't mind
    We don't mind
    We don't mind...... (buh) Propane!

Seriously, I'm surprised California hasn't outlawed charcoal yet. They did outlaw charcoal lighter fluid, didn't they?
    I do prefer charcoal, or better yet a nice pile of glowing hardwood embers, but you can't beat gas for ease and cleanliness.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

They did outlaw charcoal lighter fluid, didn't they?

No, but it is not used by me.

I use a starter powered by electricity.

Quoted from jrpinball:

When you're out of coal...

Never!

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Back in the days of EM pins
    BBQ grills had charcoal within
    My daddy taught me to grill food right
    I think I might fire up the Q tonight

There was a west-coaster named Odin
    For whom solid state was verboten
    Don't speak of propane
    He thinks it's profane
    It's charcoal briquettes he'll be loadin'

#20 9 years ago

If you use lighter fluid, or Kingsford, well, you get what you deserve.

#21 9 years ago

My trusty old Weber cost sixty nine bucks

I roll it in the garage so it never collects rust

When someone shows off their pricy gas burning grill

I say whoa, slow down, and please take a chill pill

#22 9 years ago

I don't often use charcoal, but when I do, I use a chimney to start it. I never use fluid. It is good for cleaning old wax off playfields though!

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

There was a west-coaster named Odin
    For whom solid state was verboten
    Don't speak of propane
    He thinks it's profane
    It's charcoal briquettes he'll be loadin'

Clever!

#24 9 years ago

Really, no fluid eh? You guys have too many rules. I'm certainly no expert though. I converted from gas to charcoal a couple years ago. My wife and I like the flavor a little better and waiting for the coals gives you a little time to drink a beer.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Really, no fluid eh?

No fluid or chimney for me. Both add unwanted flavor.

Here's the ticket. I bought one at Walmart 10 years ago for 10 bucks. The key is to take it out just as the coals start to smolder or you'll burn out the element.

th-1-307.jpegth-1-307.jpeg

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Seriously, I'm surprised California hasn't outlawed charcoal yet

Between droughts and the Epa i am surprised too.

Highway to grill.
    1st verse↓↓↓↓
    ♫ ♪♪♫♫♫ ♫♪♫♫
    Cooking easy ♪♫
    Cooking free ♫♪
    Season permit on a one time try ♫♪
    Ask me nothing ♫♪
    Leave me be ♫♪
    Grilling everything in my stride. ♫♪
    Dont need seasonings ♫♪
    Especially an herb named thyme ♫♪
    Aint nothing id rather do than grill ♫♪
    Gonna light it ♫♪
    Grilling time ♫♪
    My friends are gonna be there with meat too
    I m on a highway to grill ♫♪♪♫
    Highway to grill ♫♪♪♫
    I m on a highway to grill ♫♫♪♪

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No fluid or chimney for me. Both add unwanted flavor.

I don't use paper to start the charcoal in my chimney. It's too smoky. I put the chimney over a propane burner or camp stove for about a half minute, and it gets it going good.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm surprised California hasn't outlawed charcoal yet.

It is now regulated, so that only those that have a medical card can buy it. The card is really easy to get though. All you have to do is go to a doctor and tell him your belly hurts.

Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't use paper to start the charcoal in my chimney. It's too smoky. I put the chimney over a propane burner or camp stove for about a half minute, and it get's it going good.

Now THERE'S a good use for propane!

#29 9 years ago

Coal fired Pizza/bread oven cooks fast ,would love to have one.
    Anthracite cooks it right.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

This was already done by Kerry Imming with PinKit. The test bed was a Gottlieb Solar City (EM to SS). Then, the system was used to build additional Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons. http://www.planetimming.com/PinKit/

Thanks for the link. I knew Kerry was involved with WNBJM, but never knew about PinKit.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't often use charcoal, but when I do, I use a chimney to start it. I never use fluid. It is good for cleaning old wax off playfields though!

"Stay thirsty my friends."

#32 9 years ago

I love how EM guys never use that pedestrian "thumbs down". We just spam the thread with talk about grilling.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I love how EM guys never use that pedestrian "thumbs down".

We use another finger instead for that ^^ (2 neighbors down)...

#34 9 years ago

Here at the EM hangout we are self moderated. I don't think the regular moderators spend too much time here. They are too busy settling disputes over what the next title should be or why people don't have machines they paid for three years ago.

I don't think Robin spends much time here either. I just read a quote where he stated that one of our new moderators has the nicest game room in the country. Yeah, 97 machines but no EMs.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't think the regular moderators spend too much time here. They are too busy settling disputes over what the next title should be or why people don't have machines they paid for three years ago.

Your killing me.... but its true^^

I guess were weird outcasts,thats ok because if someone were to follow our threads they would either be amazed and stay or disgusted and leave which is fine by me.

#36 9 years ago

So where do the unused "guts" go? Thrown away? What a waste!!

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

We just spam the thread with talk about grilling.

th-651.jpegth-651.jpeg

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

th-651.jpeg 10 KB

BBQ Spam on the grill mmmmm w/charcoal or propane?

#39 9 years ago

I would like to see a solid state flash motor boards for old shuffle alley bowling games. That's been my only hang up with a handful EM restorations just using that game as a bench for all my other projects one day I'll get the urge to finish that bowling game but may be awhile.
    As for California ban on lighter fluid what isn't banned do a bunch of over worried soccer moms run your state? I'd hate to be a contractor half the stuff I use says "Not approved for California" you guys are missing out on a lot of great things. With all these regulations has any statistics shown a drop in new cancer cases vs the rest if the states?

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

BBQ Spam on the grill mmmmm w/charcoal or propane?

John_Wayne_Hardw_50fd965f32188-730.jpgJohn_Wayne_Hardw_50fd965f32188-730.jpg

#41 9 years ago

^^^^^^^^

John Wayne Charcoal? Is that real? I guess they'll put the Duke's face on anything.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Is that real?

Of course,just read the warning label it has a carbon monoxide hazard so its legit.

#43 9 years ago

From the article:

"And, in some cases, converting EMs to SSs. “People are reluctant to convert their EMs – especially people who know their stuff – because EMs have a special feel to them,” he says. “But sometimes they can’t be fixed, so I chuck in a load of electronics and program them so that the game rules are the same as the originals.”

Here he admits to not knowing the "stuff" and apparently coils, wires and switches are too complicated for him. Or he just doesn't want to clean it. I think a lot of modern college tech-heads are intimidated by cable bundles and rows of AC operated relays.

This is like ripping the heart out of a friend because they fail to understand them....and creating something they perceive as "better". Like this:

Before conversionBefore conversion
    After conversionAfter conversion

Personally, I wouldn't buy that for a dollar. Nor would I for a franken pin.

#44 9 years ago

↑↑↑ ↑↑↑

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisG78:

As for California ban on lighter fluid what isn't banned do a bunch of over worried soccer moms run your state? I'd hate to be a contractor half the stuff I use says "Not approved for California" you guys are missing out on a lot of great things.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Mostly there are people from elsewhere trying to run each other. The things I miss are things that are no longer available anywhere such as Delaware Punch. Anything else can be bought off the internet.

I'd like to think California has actually been moving forward compared to the way things used to be.

th-2-735.jpegth-2-735.jpeg

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

This was already done

Reinnie
    Didn't you essentially do it also with your Jack of Diamonds project with Herb Silvers?
    How hard would it be to adapt your board set to be used or reprogrammed for other E/Ms?

#47 9 years ago

If you guys think 'Resto-Mod' like the 50's and 60's cars with new drivetrains and running gear. This gutting the EM parts and retro fitting electronics is not that different. Now, replacing the EM stuff, just for kicks, and destroying a working vintage pin. That is just wrong.
    Look at Retro Pin with their King of Diamonds. This is done to a much higher quality. If I could afford one I would most likely get one. I have played the Retro Pin at the PHoF, and although it certainly is missing all of the EM sounds, it is still fun to play.

Now I will run outside through the sprinkler, to protect myself from the on coming flames.

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I miss are things that are no longer available anywhere such as Delaware Punch.

I used to sell it and liked it myself. Great label and a very good stable seller back in the 80's. You could always sell a corner store a case of DP every week or two in the S.F. Bay Area. I used to sell Calso Water for the bars as well, but the newer Crystal Geyser and Calistoga eventually killed that brand. Pickle Head bars loved Calso as it had bicarbonate of soda for your hangover, so basically Alkaseltzer already mixed.

Ken

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Seriously, I'm surprised California hasn't outlawed charcoal yet. They did outlaw charcoal lighter fluid, didn't they?

You can buy BBQ lighter fluid, just not the good old polluting stuff.
    In some CA counties you are not allowed to use your wood burning fireplaces
    during certain days between Nov and March if the pollution index is too high.
    though you can burn all you want during the summer "when you really need it?" ha! perplexed

#50 9 years ago

I used to light my charcoal grill with old K-1 fuel left over from the winter heaters. Maybe not the best thing to do but it worked. Moo ha ha ha

There are 309 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-ems-to-sss-and-creating-replica-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.