(Topic ID: 265858)

Converting Black Knight "Magna-saves", to Grand Lizard "Magna-saves"

By wrd1972_PinDoc

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Okay I have a BK and GL side by side, and the BK Magna-save feature just pales in comparison to the way it works on GL. So I am considering modding BK, to work like GL.

Whenever that magnet catches a ball in BK, half of the time it will bounce off the rail, and into the outlane drain. Really not cool at all, and I dont think there is much of a way to resolve that. I love the way you can fling or bounce the ball out of the outlane on GL by tapping the button, and its no wonder that all magna-save games after BK, did it this way.

It should be easy enough to by adding in another pair of relays and triggering them from the buttons. No worries there. But has anyone else ever done this, or seen it done.

Thoughts?
Thanks

#2 4 years ago

I agree the flinging style manga saves are more fun.

That seems like a complicated mod for that game.

Have you maxed out the save time to make sure the ball has settled before being Released? There is an adjustment for that.

#3 4 years ago

a very cool/good idea

and even more, your BK playfield will say "thank you" !

#4 4 years ago

How about just add a second switch to each button that is also normally open, which is in series with the relay coil so it can only activate the magnet while magna save is running by pressing or holding the button? Those switches wouldn't take a beating since they are only activating the relays. Might be more hassle than extra relays, I dunno. I can't complain about my BK magna saves, I keep the magna save timer settings up a little so I'm "almost* guaranteed a clean drop by the time it releases. If I miss or screw up a catch now and then, I chalk it up to, well, if I'd timed it better or didn't jump on it so quick I would snag more of them. But the on/off aspect of GL's does sound cool.

2 years later
#5 1 year ago

Not trying to dig up old posts, but I just happened to run across this topic.

I installed this feature on my Black Knight about 6-1/2 years ago. I took the game to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown after it was completed and people enjoyed the feature a lot, and questioning if I had a ROM revision that allowed the feature. It required some modified wiring wiring and a couple additional leaf switches, but no additional relays of any sort. I basically installed a doublestacked leaf switch behind the magna-save cabinet button. One switch is to activate the feature as normal. The other switch is tapped into the wiring that feeds the relay under the playfield. I believe I tapped into the ground-wire line of the relay.

From there, I installed a 3-way toggle switch inside the cabinet that allows me 3-different states for the new mod.... Modified, Normal, and Off.

The end result is the ability to hold onto the ball for as long or short as you want, as well as not cooking the magnets for as long if the ball is already stabilized long enough to drop.

#6 1 year ago

Only issue I see with it is you could be in the middle of a multiball when you hit the button and if you do wish to hold the magnasave 'on' it is preoccupying your finger(s) with doing that at the same time you might need to be flipping at another ball on that side. I'd need to do the flip with my third finger. So it does make it more challenging vs. BK's version of just tapping it and letting the timer do its thing.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Only issue I see with it is you could be in the middle of a multiball when you hit the button and if you do wish to hold the magnasave 'on' it is preoccupying your finger(s) with doing that at the same time you might need to be flipping at another ball on that side. I'd need to do the flip with my third finger. So it does make it more challenging vs. BK's version of just tapping it and letting the timer do its thing.

Its no different than holding during Grand Lizard/Jungle Lord. Plus, using extra buttons while playing is part of the fun and challenge of these games. I own a Dungeons and Dragons which has the flex-save feature. This is easily the most intense use of extra buttons while playing, which is a main reason why I bought it. That extra dimension to the game makes it really worthwhile. The dynamic magnasave on these Williams games feels like you have more control and helps keep the ball in flow.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from vintageclub:

installed this feature on my Black Knight about 6-1/2 years ago. I took the game to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown after it was completed and people enjoyed the feature a lot, and questioning if I had a ROM revision that allowed the feature. It required some modified wiring wiring and a couple additional leaf switches, but no additional relays of any sort. I basically installed a doublestacked leaf switch behind the magna-save cabinet button. One switch is to activate the feature as normal. The other switch is tapped into the wiring that feeds the relay under the playfield. I believe I tapped into the ground-wire line of the relay.

From there, I installed a 3-way toggle switch inside the cabinet that allows me 3-different states for the new mod.... Modified, Normal, and Off.

The end result is the ability to hold onto the ball for as long or short as you want, as well as not cooking the magnets for as long if the ball is already stabilized long enough to drop.

So the magnasave gets triggered as normal, but you don't let the relay pull in unless you are pressing the button, using the relay's ground to allow it to work (since the grounding would be controlled by the software's timeout)?

That's probably a better solution than software. I couldn't figure out how to convey how many magnasaves you have 'saved up' like the newer games did, since there's only the one lamp. I suppose you could flash it in a pattern. Your way is more elegant, some times hardware is better than software especially when it's so straightforward.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

So the magnasave gets triggered as normal, but you don't let the relay pull in unless you are pressing the button, using the relay's ground to allow it to work (since the grounding would be controlled by the software's timeout)?
That's probably a better solution than software. I couldn't figure out how to convey how many magnasaves you have 'saved up' like the newer games did, since there's only the one lamp. I suppose you could flash it in a pattern. Your way is more elegant, some times hardware is better than software especially when it's so straightforward.

Yes, thats how it works. Just double up the cabinet switch so one button activates and the other is a make/break for the relay.

I've added cabinet features to games that didn't have them and its all mechanical. I don't have coding skills, so any software-level changes would need to be added by someone else. I had a guy make me a custom ROM once for a game I modded and it was nice, but if I can keep it simple, then I go that route.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,059.00
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-black-knight-magna-saves-to-grand-lizard-magna-saves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.