(Topic ID: 156049)

Converting a bally -17 to -35 MPU with FO597 service bulletin?

By ForceFlow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dash-17_Front.jpg
    Dash-17_Rear.jpg
    -17 to -35 mod (resized).png
    20131030_000003 (resized).jpg
    20131029_235932 (resized).jpg
    Bally-FO-597.PDF (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Following that modification outlined in the FO597 will not let you use 2732 or 2716 at U2 and U6. One of the address lines doesn't have a trace from the cpu for 2732 and I don't think they place all the 'E' pads to pull off a 2716 MOD. This would just be for trying to reuse the original masked ROMs which i wouldn't recommend. The legs on them are usually pretty roached out.
    You are better off doing the mod outlined on pinwiki for setting a -17 to use 2732 at u2 and u6. Doing that maximizes the ROM space for max compatibility of -17 and -35 games.
    The other good mod for a -17 MPU is the single 2732 at U2. That lets you use any -17 or stern m100 game with only one EPROM. Less sockets to change and not too many jumpers and track cuts.

So what about games that utilize a sound card, for instance, Rolling Stones. Will it run on the -17 board if modified to use a combo 2732 at U2?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:Following that modification outlined in the FO597 will not let you use 2732 or 2716 at U2 and U6.

But doesn't what you say conflict with this comment? I'm still confused.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I've looked at the Pinwiki dual U2/U6 2732 mod and it looks to me like it can be simplified. I will have a deeper look into it tomorrow and report back.

Looking forward to your response.

#19 4 years ago

Ok, so just to be clear....I have a -17 I'd like to use in a Rolling Stones machine. I have a set of U2 and U6 2732 Rolling Stones EPROMS. The board has not been updated (i.e., FO597). I have removed all the old sockets and ready to install new ones, except U3-U5 which I plan to leave blank. Is what you are saying that the -17 will work then if I do the jumpers and cuts shown in the pinwiki (see attached).

-17 to -35 mod (resized).png-17 to -35 mod (resized).png
    #22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:I can confirm that this simpler mod works.
    I did the mod on a Stern MPU-100 board which is the same as a Bally-17 board. It's working fine in my -35 Bally game.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am waiting for sockets. When they arrive I will complete this mod.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JethroP.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-a-bally-17-to-35-mpu-with-fo597-service-bulletin?tu=JethroP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.