(Topic ID: 156049)

Converting a bally -17 to -35 MPU with FO597 service bulletin?

By ForceFlow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dash-17_Front.jpg
    Dash-17_Rear.jpg
    -17 to -35 mod (resized).png
    20131030_000003 (resized).jpg
    20131029_235932 (resized).jpg
    Bally-FO-597.PDF (PDF preview)
    #1 8 years ago

Has anyone ever tried converting a Bally -17 MPU to a -35 MPU with the steps outlined in the FO597 service bulletin? I was curious to hear if anyone had success with it.

#4 8 years ago

Since PDF uploads don't appear to be working, here's a download for the service bulletin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa4ymjyofx5mx4w/Bally-FO-597.PDF?dl=0

[Edit]: Direct upload:
    Bally-FO-597.PDFBally-FO-597.PDF

#5 8 years ago

I've been meaning to actually.

#6 8 years ago

Following that modification outlined in the FO597 will not let you use 2732 or 2716 at U2 and U6. One of the address lines doesn't have a trace from the cpu for 2732 and I don't think they place all the 'E' pads to pull off a 2716 MOD. This would just be for trying to reuse the original masked ROMs which i wouldn't recommend. The legs on them are usually pretty roached out.

You are better off doing the mod outlined on pinwiki for setting a -17 to use 2732 at u2 and u6. Doing that maximizes the ROM space for max compatibility of -17 and -35 games.

The other good mod for a -17 MPU is the single 2732 at U2. That lets you use any -17 or stern m100 game with only one EPROM. Less sockets to change and not too many jumpers and track cuts.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Following that modification outlined in the FO597 will not let you use 2732 at U2 and U6. It would just be for trying to reuse the original masked ROMs which i wouldn't recommend. The legs on them are usually pretty roached out.

Could you re-jumper the board according to the new E# labels to match what what jumpers need to be modified in order to support common EPROMs?

Quoted from barakandl:

You are better off doing the mod outlined on pinwiki for setting a -17 to use 2732 at u2 and u6. Doing that maximizes the ROM space for max compatibility for -17 and -35 games.
    The other good mod for a -17 MPU is the single 2732 at U2. That lets you use any -17 or stern m100 game with only one EPROM. Less sockets to change and not too many jumpers and track cuts.

Piniwiki lists 6 games that support a single 2732:

Black Jack
    Bobby Orr Power Play
    Eight Ball
    Evel Knievel
    Mata Hari
    Night Rider

However, IPDB lists two additional games that run -17 boards: Strikes and Spares and Power Play. Can those games also utilize the single 2732, or will there be problems?

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Could you re-jumper the board according to the new E# labels to match what what jumpers need to be modified in order to support common EPROMs?

Piniwiki lists 6 games that support a single 2732:
    Black Jack
    Bobby Orr Power Play
    Eight Ball
    Evel Knievel
    Mata Hari
    Night Rider
    However, IPDB lists two additional games that run -17 boards: Strikes and Spares and Power Play. Can those games also utilize the single 2732, or will there be problems?

That bally service bulletin F0597mod does not place E31, E16, E29 etc which is needed for setting U6 to 2732.

Any game that originally used stern MPU-100 or Bally -17 MPU can use the single 2732 at U2 mod. This includes Strikes and Spares and Bobby Orr Power Play which are -17 games. Bally Black Jack is a -17 MPU game too. Also works on Stern M100 games likes Stars, Dracula, etc.

#9 8 years ago

Oh well, if you can't jumper for EPROMs, then I guess this modification wouldn't be useful today. It would've been an interesting exercise, though.

3 years later
    #10 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Following that modification outlined in the FO597 will not let you use 2732 or 2716 at U2 and U6. One of the address lines doesn't have a trace from the cpu for 2732 and I don't think they place all the 'E' pads to pull off a 2716 MOD. This would just be for trying to reuse the original masked ROMs which i wouldn't recommend. The legs on them are usually pretty roached out.
    You are better off doing the mod outlined on pinwiki for setting a -17 to use 2732 at u2 and u6. Doing that maximizes the ROM space for max compatibility of -17 and -35 games.

So what about games that utilize a sound card, for instance, Rolling Stones. Will it run on the -17 board if modified to use a combo 2732 at U2?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

So what about games that utilize a sound card, for instance, Rolling Stones. Will it run on the -17 board if modified to use a combo 2732 at U2?

If you do the update to run 2732 at both u2 AND u6, yes. That turns the -17 into essentially a -35 board, and anything that uses a -35 board can then be used on it.

If you do the mod that puts a SINGLE 2732 at u2, nope, you can't, because rolling stones shipped with 3 2716 images, and the single 2732 can only contain.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:Following that modification outlined in the FO597 will not let you use 2732 or 2716 at U2 and U6.

But doesn't what you say conflict with this comment? I'm still confused.

#13 4 years ago

Back in the day there were a lot of distributors that had a large stock of replacement -17 boards. This service bulletin was to help them protect their investment in spare parts. I tried this mod and was unsuccessful and lacked the time to figure out what my problem was. Probably Prom incompatibility. IMHO, It's just not worth doing. If you need a -35 compatible board there are plenty out there to work on.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

This service bulletin was to help them protect their investment in spare parts. I tried this mod and was unsuccessful and lacked the time to figure out what my problem was.

The Bally parts catalogs list -17 boards modified with FO-597 support the -35 game 9316 PROMs. So presumably different mods are required for 9332/2532/2732 ROMs.

I've looked at the Pinwiki dual U2/U6 2732 mod and it looks to me like it can be simplified. I will have a deeper look into it tomorrow and report back.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I've looked at the Pinwiki dual U2/U6 2732 mod and it looks to me like it can be simplified. I will have a deeper look into it tomorrow and report back.

It can be.... you stick a modified seigecraft firepower 2764 adapter in it
    https://sites.google.com/site/allentownpinball/romblaster

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Looking forward to your response.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

But doesn't what you say conflict with this comment? I'm still confused.

No because FO597 is telling you how to jumper for different ROMs than 2732. Probably jumpers for an even more obsolete one time programmable masked PROMs like what Bally usually stuffed in the MPU from the factory. If you do FO597 2732 will not work but some setups of masked proms would.

If you want to run -17 or M100 software on a -17 or M100 board the single 2732 at U2 is best because it only uses one chip, one less socket that may need replaced, 2732 is most available easily programmed chip now-a-days, and the jumpers are pretty simple.

If you want to run bally -35 software on a -17 or M100 board the 2732 at both u2 and u6 is best because it maximizes ROM space so all games -17, -35 or M100 will work. The jumpers are bit more in depth tho. There are shorter jumpers routes you can take than shown on pinwiki, but you still have to bring an address from the cpu chip to both eproms that is not routed on the board which is going to be long jumper run.

#18 4 years ago

i found an old pic from 2013 of a -17 mpu set to use 2732 at u2 and u6.

The short jumpers are on the back of the board but I put the long ones on top. Long jumpers seem safer from impaling or snagging on the component side.

20131029_235932 (resized).jpg20131029_235932 (resized).jpg20131030_000003 (resized).jpg20131030_000003 (resized).jpg
    #19 4 years ago

Ok, so just to be clear....I have a -17 I'd like to use in a Rolling Stones machine. I have a set of U2 and U6 2732 Rolling Stones EPROMS. The board has not been updated (i.e., FO597). I have removed all the old sockets and ready to install new ones, except U3-U5 which I plan to leave blank. Is what you are saying that the -17 will work then if I do the jumpers and cuts shown in the pinwiki (see attached).

-17 to -35 mod (resized).png-17 to -35 mod (resized).png
    #20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I've looked at the Pinwiki dual U2/U6 2732 mod and it looks to me like it can be simplified.

Quoted from JethroP:

Looking forward to your response.

The following mod of converting a Bally -17 / Stern MPU-100 MPU board to Bally -35 supporting two 2732 EPROMs at U2 and U6
    needs to be tested[Update] is confirmed working.
    It only requires 3 wires and 3 PCB trace cuts.

1. On the solder side, cut the trace coming off pin 4 of U18. Cut it close to pin 4.
    2. Connect the trace you just cut leading away from pin 4 to pin 5 of U18 (ie. leave pin 4 side disconnected).
    3. Connect a wire from pin 24 of the U9 CPU to pin 21 of U2.
    4. On the solder side of the board, cut the trace leading to pin 21 of U6.
    5. Connect a wire from pin 19 of U3 to pin 21 of U6
    6. On the component side to the very right of the U3 socket location, there is a trace connecting two through holes spaced 8mm apart. Cut that trace between those through holes.
    7. Jumper the board so you have E1-E2, E3-E4, E6-E7, leave E8/E9/E10 jumpered however it is since it's irrelevant.

Yes my U2 socket is currently missing from the second pic
    Yes, some of the wires can be short cutted.

Bally -17 MPU board solder sideBally -17 MPU board solder side
    Bally -17 MPU board component sideBally -17 MPU board component side

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

The following mod of converting a Bally -17 MPU board to -35 supporting two 2732 EPROMs at U2 and U6 needs to be tested.

I can confirm that this simpler mod works.
    I did the mod on a Stern MPU-100 board which is the same as a Bally-17 board. It's working fine in my -35 Bally game.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:I can confirm that this simpler mod works.
    I did the mod on a Stern MPU-100 board which is the same as a Bally-17 board. It's working fine in my -35 Bally game.

Thanks for the confirmation. I am waiting for sockets. When they arrive I will complete this mod.

#23 4 years ago

Forgive my ignorance. Does this mod make the -17 or mpu100 unusable in an older game going forward or would it be usable in -17 and-35 games with the correct code?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Does this mod make the -17 or mpu100 unusable in an older game going forward or would it be usable in -17 and-35 games with the correct code?

The modification I discuss above can allow the board to run -17/MPU100 and -35 game code by using two 2732 EPROMs.
    If you want to run a -17/MPU100 game, you simply double the original ROM code to fit in 2732 EPROMs. Or if you prefer to use two 2716 EPROMs for your -17/MPU100 games then you would skip step number 3 and instead connect pin 21 of U2 to pin 24 of U2.

Hope this helps.

The following 2716 EPROMs were briefly tested as working on a modified board configured for 2732 for plug'n'play backward compatibility
    Works without requiring pin 21 being tied to VCC
    AM2716DC ...... AMD
    HN462716G ..... Hitachi
    D2716D .......... NEC
    ETC2716Q........ETC (larger die, to date codes 8317 thru to 8440)
    ET2716Q......... ETC (smaller die, date codes 8315 and 8404A)

The following 2716 EPROMs will NOT work on your modified board configured for 2732 - will require pin 21 tied to VCC.
    Requires pin 21 of the EPROM to be tied to VCC to work
    M2716 ........ SGS-Thomson
    M5L2716K ... Mitsubishi
    MM2716Q .... National Semiconductors
    ET2716Q ..... ETC (smaller die, date code 8452)
    D2716 ......... Intel

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-a-bally-17-to-35-mpu-with-fo597-service-bulletin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.