March 2005 048.jpg
March 2005 047.jpg
March 2005 045.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 065.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 064.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 069.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 066.jpg
may 2004 025.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinBilly.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

I find that some days I can do 2000s consistently, but rarely get 3000. Other days I have a hard time breaking 2000 even. The top ten scores on it since owning (for approx. 1 year) are 5100 to 5800. Max replays earned is 6. I rarely see the special game, and when I do it's generally just in time to see ball 3 drain down the middle or do that terrible bounce off a sling into the outlane. I can count the number of times anyone else has reached the special game on one hand.
Does this sound normal?

Yes. If set up steep(which makes the gameplay more fun without even considering the difficulty), and with slingshots working properly, 2001 is a brutally difficult game. The outlanes and center drains are all killer. My game had an unoriginal center post and nails in the outlanes when I got it. Now that I've fixed it, 5k's are about the highest I can get. It's an addictive game.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Flippers are in very good (not perfect) condition, but rested about 10 degrees below the line that the rails make. I adjusted them to look like the PAPA machine, which is parallel to the line the rails make, and all the ball handling skills I've learned with the flippers suddenly pay off two to three times as often!

Funny, my 2001 was the same way, and after setting it properly(aligned with the inlane ball guide), I noticed the same things you did - it made it play a lot better, and you could trap the ball. I have since played 2 other 2001's, and I noticed they were the same way! Flippers down way too low, couldn't trap the ball. I told one guy about it, he fixed it and said he likes it better now as well.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Actually, Vic's flipper alignment is closer to that shown in the original GTB flyer. I kept mine parallel to the ball guides at the recommendation of some folks on RGP, but I've always meant to set them back slightly lower to make alley passing easier to pull off.

One big gameplay effect of setting the flippers lower is, the drop targets are natural shots! When they're low, you'll see newbies shooting drops, and when they're inline, you'll see them slam the middle targets and drain. Setting them inline makes the edge shots a lot more difficult and precise, because they're all on the tip of the flipper, as opposed to the middle. It also increases the number of drops that can be shot directly with the flipper, because of the angle.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinBilly.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-2001-to-aab?tu=pinBilly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.