March 2005 047.jpg
March 2005 045.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 065.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 064.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 069.jpg
carpetOct27th2005 066.jpg
may 2004 025.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I've been thinking a bit about this lately. Has anyone done this? Or done a replay to AAB conversion on anything else?

Seems to me you could use the replay counter (which counts to 15) as a ball counter instead. Might be just a matter of jumping some wire around. Haven't looked at the schematics yet, though.

#2 10 years ago

Yep, using the credit unit works real well. It's a little more complicated than a couple of jumpers though. The credit unit has to interrupt the ball count any time a extra ball is won, then it has to count off all extra balls before allowing the ball count to advance.

Steve

#3 10 years ago

I've seen this done before, using the credit wheel to interrupt the ball count unit. I don't have a wiring schematic or anything like that, but I believe an extra switch needs to be added to the switch stack on the credit unit. Keep in mind though that "2001" is not designed the same a "Dimension" (the add-a-ball version) for the simple reason that winning a replay is "worth more" than winning an extra ball. Therefore, it's harder to win a replay. The "special" on "2001" is harder to get than the "wow" on "Dimension", so even if you are successful in converting your game, it's probably not going to be like playing "Dimension".
Back in the 70's a local arcade here in NY state had a "Top Card" machine that was modified to be an add-a-ball game (no domestic add-a-ball version of that game was made). The frequency of specials lighting on that particular game made it quite easy to ratchet up the credit wheel, thus extending the game. We kids often had marathon games lasting 1 1/2 hours or more! I believe I had a high game of something like 1,700,000 or so (flipped the reels 17 times!). So, it really depends on the game; whether converting it makes sense or not.
Let us know if you are successful in your attempt to convert your game.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Back in the 70's a local arcade here in NY state had a "Top Card" machine that was modified to be an add-a-ball game (no domestic add-a-ball version of that game was made). The frequency of specials lighting on that particular game made it quite easy to ratchet up the credit wheel, thus extending the game. We kids often had marathon games lasting 1 1/2 hours or more! I believe I had a high game of something like 1,700,000 or so (flipped the reels 17 times!).

I used to have marathon sessions on the replay Top Card in the dorm. Maybe it was supposed to be an AAB to begin with.

Mike O.

#5 10 years ago

^^The Top Card my brother(intopinball) picked up was converted to add~a~ball but i ended up removing it as it was not working properly ,so instead off messing around with the altered condition/wiring i removed it back to factory and it works fine now.

In fact you(jrpinball) went and looked at it before we went and picked it up that sunday.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Keep in mind though that "2001" is not designed the same a "Dimension" (the add-a-ball version) for the simple reason that winning a replay is "worth more" than winning an extra ball. Therefore, it's harder to win a replay. The "special" on "2001" is harder to get than the "wow" on "Dimension", so even if you are successful in converting your game, it's probably not going to be like playing "Dimension".

I agree. Not worth all the trouble IMO.

Ken

#7 10 years ago

Yep, if it were me (and I did the mod years ago on a route game), I wouldn't do it either.

Steve

#9 10 years ago

Well, Ken and I are both EM guys although I'm known more as a System 80 hawk. I see you were in that thread too, an EM get together of sorts. At least we're all consistent.

Steve

#10 10 years ago

The match unit wiring was mia,so my brother went to Vic Camp`s just before the thanksgiving holiday and they mapped the wiring as he also has a Top Card.
My solder gun got a good workout that weekend when my brother came to visit for the holiday,took it back to Nj with him plugged it in and after a lot of games it hit the knocker and gave a credit, works like a champ.

#11 10 years ago

I almost bought a Capt. Card that someone converted to a replay game. They added a credit unit (cut a hole for it in the back box panel(!) and scratched a square hole thru the paint on the back glass! Neither the seller nor I noticed it until I got the game home........I ended up driving 3 hours to return the game. As we know the rule set for CC is superior to High Hand, but beyond that, the hack done by an operator, was a deal breaker for me!

#12 10 years ago

Converting Gottlieb 2001 to add a ball isn't going to make it a better player in my opinion and will just extend the game play to a point of be boring. I do have a hand drawn schematic i did of my High Hand add a ball conversion when i dismantled the wiring and put my HH back on replay.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Converting Gottlieb 2001 to add a ball isn't going to make it a better player in my opinion and will just extend the game play to a point of be boring.

And Dimension is THAT different? Just curious because a 2001 came up for sale here locally yesterday and one of our local collectors snagged it.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

They added a credit unit (cut a hole for it in the back box panel(!) and scratched a square hole thru the paint on the back glass!

Hackolicious.

#15 10 years ago

I agree with Vic - not a good title for conversion. The drop target banks don't reset between balls, so once they're all down the player can just keep wailing on the front spot targets adding balls indefinitely. It's fun to do this with specials because you usually don't clear the banks until very late in the game, but if instead you were awarded EBs you'd have to try real hard to NOT have the game last forever.

#16 10 years ago

First and most important is when playing replay single player EM Gottlieb wedgeheads a player must understand that this pin was designed and tested by the factory to be played between 2 to 5 mins on an average and after that time it's game over.

Now getting back to 2001...The game is a is a sensational player from the wedgehead series and will thrill the long time serious EM player who grew up player replays games for sure. Game play for me means getting all the target down is just pure fun and not the true challenge this game offers the player.

For me i enjoy the gameplay even more after i have all the targets down.There is the moving special at the bullseye stand up targets feature and the center kickout hole on the top arch of the playfield which isn't that easy to get and of course my main objective from the start of the game is reach all the high scores for replays at the recommended factory setting and max out the credit wheel for 15 replays if possible.

Once you have a game like the one i posted above you will know why you would never want to set this top of the list player to add a ball.
may 2004 025.jpgmay 2004 025.jpg

#17 10 years ago

Ahh c'mon Vic; you just hate add-a-balls!!!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

^^The Top Card my brother(intopinball) picked up was converted to add~a~ball but i ended up removing it as it was not working properly ,so instead off messing around with the altered condition/wiring i removed it back to factory and it works fine now.
In fact you(jrpinball) went and looked at it before we went and picked it up that sunday.

Yes, I did look at that game. A bit overpriced for my liking, and the guy wouldn't budge. I strongly suspect that this was THE VERY "Top Card" that I played on location back in the '70's! The guy told me that he once lived in NY state and that they did purchase the game for his father many years ago from somewhere in NY. I'm glad your brother snagged it and will enjoy it. He should have left it as an AAB for a while to see if he would have liked it that way.

#19 10 years ago

Yeah...even me the guy who "hates add a balls" kept my High Hand add a ball conversion on my game for a couple of years or so before i put it back to replay.

I liked it at first and thought it brought some diversity to my collection, but after growing up playing on route, i felt the need to switch the pin back to its replay version and i'm glad i did. Now it's like the rest of the replay games in my collection....play 5 balls and game is over and move on to the next game.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I agree with Vic - not a good title for conversion. The drop target banks don't reset between balls, so once they're all down the player can just keep wailing on the front spot targets adding balls indefinitely. It's fun to do this with specials because you usually don't clear the banks until very late in the game, but if instead you were awarded EBs you'd have to try real hard to NOT have the game last forever.

Yeah, didn't think of that angle. Of course being a replay game, the drop targets don't reset. Would be boring as an AAB. "Top Card" lends itself pretty nicely I think. Certain titles do, and others do not. I guess you can discount all games with drop targets. Vic Camp has a "High Hand" that had the conversion as well, but he set it back to replay only.

#21 10 years ago

Here's a pic my High Hand which is the last game i played on route in 1973. I heard a quote somewhere before that you either love or hate this title. The thought of hate never entered my mind and always love this game because it's so challenging and looks nice.

I was installing the new game room carpet in the basement at the time this picture was taken. You can see the 3ft x 3ft carpet tiles in a pic.

Here are some pictures of my High Hand wired as a AAB.
March 2005 049.jpgMarch 2005 049.jpgMarch 2005 048.jpgMarch 2005 048.jpgMarch 2005 047.jpgMarch 2005 047.jpgMarch 2005 045.jpgMarch 2005 045.jpg

carpetOct27th2005 065.jpgcarpetOct27th2005 065.jpgcarpetOct27th2005 064.jpgcarpetOct27th2005 064.jpgcarpetOct27th2005 069.jpgcarpetOct27th2005 069.jpgcarpetOct27th2005 066.jpgcarpetOct27th2005 066.jpg

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I almost bought a Capt. Card that someone converted to a replay game. They added a credit unit (cut a hole for it in the back box panel(!) and scratched a square hole thru the paint on the back glass! Neither the seller nor I noticed it until I got the game home........I ended up driving 3 hours to return the game. As we know the rule set for CC is superior to High Hand, but beyond that, the hack done by an operator, was a deal breaker for me!

I bought that Capt Card from Tom and used the playfield in my Capt Card. Then traded the game for a Freefall. That was a beautiful backglass that they ended up making useless.

#23 10 years ago

"Capt. Card".... "Free Fall"..... ohhhhh.... wonderful AABs!!! Would love to find nice examples of each of these.
Also would love to find a "Gold Strike" and need a nice cabinet for my "Dimension".
"Capt. Card" though, as well as "High Hand" can really humble you as a player. Don't lose the ball between the flippers on this pair!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm glad your brother snagged it and will enjoy it. He should have left it as an AAB for a while to see if he would have liked it that way.

He was positive he wanted it replay version,as you would end up playing long games keeping it as a~a~b,plus it wasnt working correctly and time was short ,returning it to factory was an easier proposition.

Quoted from jrpinball:

"Capt. Card"........ ohhhhh.... wonderful AABs!!!

Plus he already has a ^^ Capt card.

Quoted from jrpinball:

Don't lose the ball between the flippers on this pair!

So true,it drives me mad when that happens.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Yeah...even me the guy who "hates add a balls" kept my High Hand add a ball conversion on my game for a couple of years or so before i put it back to replay.

As it was originally intended from the factory is preferred by me too.

I do like how on some Williams they gave you the option of a~a~b with just a change of the jones plug,without doing a hard wire conversion.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I do like how on some Williams they gave you the option of a~a~b with just a change of the jones plug,without doing a hard wire conversion.

Pin-it, which WMS titles have selectable replay/AAB?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

I have a 1973 Williams Gulfstream that awards both AAB and Replays at the same time. Great game and not going anywhere in my collection.

Ken

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

My brothers Spanish eyes for instance has that option ,up to 10 a~a~balls could be achieved,and no i have not gotten to that point.

Check on Ipdb and do a search on which were convertible for that option.

Example written in the link: This game can be configured for replay, add-a-ball, or novelty play. From >>
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=spanish+eyes&sortby=name&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2265

#29 10 years ago

Here are some listed narrowed down,but you still have to see which ones are capable of it.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=413&searchtype=advanced

#30 10 years ago

Bally "Hi-Deal" is both replay and aab simultaneously! Great game and great artwork too!

#32 10 years ago

Very cool. Always thought it was an either/or deal - had no idea some games could do both.

#33 10 years ago

Companies like Williams dealt with different State laws one way, Gottlieb did it another.

Steve

Quoted from erichill:

Very cool. Always thought it was an either/or deal - had no idea some games could do both.

#34 10 years ago

Hm... That's a really good point about being too easy and boring once a the drops are down. I was only really thinking of making the special game actually worth something, as freeplay makes the replay only a secondary score.

It's my first and only pin, and I may not be able to afford another any time soon, so I'm really trying to pull the most enjoyment for me and my guests out of it. I've got it set to 3 balls, because with the very limited experimenting back and forth I did early on, I enjoyed the frequency of the pop bumpers alternating faster (every 10 points instead of 100 - which leads to that delightful back and forth between the 100 point target at the top edge and the pop bumper), and I seemed to get slightly better scores on 3 ball.

I find that some days I can do 2000s consistently, but rarely get 3000. Other days I have a hard time breaking 2000 even. The top ten scores on it since owning (for approx. 1 year) are 5100 to 5800. Max replays earned is 6. I rarely see the special game, and when I do it's generally just in time to see ball 3 drain down the middle or do that terrible bounce off a sling into the outlane. I can count the number of times anyone else has reached the special game on one hand.

Does this sound normal?

edit: It's set to Liberal, by the way. And it looks to me like the post choices on the play-field are in the liberal position as well.

edit-edit: K, I'm an idiot. It's set to conservative, which requires 3 banks instead of 2 on the 3 ball setting. My wife and I are going to play for a while and try out the liberal (which I now remember thinking would be too easy last year) as well as the 5 ball choices. Will report back eventually.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Converting Gottlieb 2001 to add a ball isn't going to make it a better player in my opinion and will just extend the game play to a point of be boring. I do have a hand drawn schematic i did of my High Hand add a ball conversion when i dismantled the wiring and put my HH back on replay.

Vic -
Can you post the schematic to High hand to make it an add a ball? I have a dumpster quality High hand (if I ever get it working) that I would like to attempt making an AAB. Was thinking of possibly using a jones plug setup to make it easy to change between replay & AAB if possible.
Thanks- Dasvis

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

I find that some days I can do 2000s consistently, but rarely get 3000. Other days I have a hard time breaking 2000 even. The top ten scores on it since owning (for approx. 1 year) are 5100 to 5800. Max replays earned is 6. I rarely see the special game, and when I do it's generally just in time to see ball 3 drain down the middle or do that terrible bounce off a sling into the outlane. I can count the number of times anyone else has reached the special game on one hand.
Does this sound normal?

Yes. If set up steep(which makes the gameplay more fun without even considering the difficulty), and with slingshots working properly, 2001 is a brutally difficult game. The outlanes and center drains are all killer. My game had an unoriginal center post and nails in the outlanes when I got it. Now that I've fixed it, 5k's are about the highest I can get. It's an addictive game.

#37 10 years ago

My 2001 has Pins above the outlane rails too and I believe it can actually make it harder. If the ball hits the side wall, with the pins extending the height of the outlane rails, it can't bounce back over to the flipper feed lane. Of course, if its already in the flipper feed lane area, it probably won't move out to the drain lane. But, it is more likely for the sling shot post to push the ball to the outlane than it is for the wood side wall to push it to the flipper feed lane. It might be a wash either way but the pins are there and I believe them to be original on my game (could be wrong). This is similar to the wide open sides on many williams games back then. They were open enough that a ball could hit the wood side wall and actually crawl back over the sling shot post and come back into play. A good wax job and the proper nudging will help with this.

As to the rest of the discussion, 2001 in 5 ball setting has an adjustment for either 3 banks or all 4 banks to light special. When properly shopped, you more than likely would need it set to 4 banks on 5 balls. I don't believe in 3 ball settings on this era EM - the rules and playfield layouts were designed around 5 balls and the 3 ball setting simply changes things up to make it easier to get the same levels of scoring and more often than not, joins features (like one rollover lane scoring two numbers etc.) or locks alternating or "when lit" features in the ON state. To me, this takes away from the randomness that you get out of each game you play. On a game like 2001, you will often end your game with only 1 target standing. But its not always the same target left standing. This was the beauty of many of these Single player Gottliebs that left you with that "Almost got it" feeling earging you to drop another coin. And then you would get that one game where you really racked up the credits.

More than anything, 2001 needs properly adjusted upper Sling Shots as these are the tools most often used to get the upper targets down. And your Pops tend to take out the upper most targets too. Keep your game waxed!

And most early 70's Williams single players have SEPARATE Replay/Add-A-Ball adjustments for specials and score thresholds. More than likely, any game of their with "Balls to Play" instead of Ball in play would have this adjustability. These are some of my favorite games due to this fact. You get to extend your playfield play just a little, and still win Free games (Replays) via scores and matching, and even special features like the 4 corners on Gulf Stream or the 3 Carriages on Klondike.

RB

#38 10 years ago

The pins at the top of the flipper ball return lanes are original from the factory.

2001 is my favorite 2" flipper drop target game and when fine tuned to play like factory new is a sensational player as a replay game. That's a game i would never make into a AAB. Just find a Gottlieb Dimension. I remember playing that game on route brand new out of the box back in 1969.

#39 10 years ago

Lots of great discussion and interesting stuff here!

I have great news! I found the problem. Saggy flippers. Flippers are in very good (not perfect) condition, but rested about 10 degrees below the line that the rails make. I adjusted them to look like the PAPA machine, which is parallel to the line the rails make, and all the ball handling skills I've learned with the flippers suddenly pay off two to three times as often! Used to be if it bounced twice on any combination of the flippers, it was going to drain and would be nearly impossible to touch with the flippers. Now, twice is more common, and you can still manage to tap it to the opposite one if your timing is good. Live catches don't end in split second chances before draining anymore - you've actually got a few moments to choose your position before launching the ball again. The outlanes are still ravenous, but the center isn't the same black hole it used to be.

Also, I switched it to 5 ball, liberal. It's not as fast-paced and exciting because the lights aren't flashing back and forth on the pops anymore - just switching from lit to unlit and back to lit periodically with the 100s. But at least when you have a crappy game it's longer than 45 seconds, and generally still beats 1000. A crappy game on the 3 ball always made you feel completely incompetent.

I do have it set quite steep on standard length feet. Seems to give similar feeling of gravity to the PAPA videos. Slings and pops are all in great shape, and nudging while the ball is on an upper sling has always made the upper banks possible to do very quickly if you get it right. Love doing that!

My machine was missing the pins at the top of the return lanes when I got it. When I got replacements and put them in, it seemed the overall change was positive, but bouncing off the wood sides is pretty much out now.

My wife and I have put new high scores at 6400 and 6700 and, while feeling a tad slower paced, the game is much more satisfying to play. I fully recommend 5 ball play on it at this time!

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Polonius:

Flippers are in very good (not perfect) condition, but rested about 10 degrees below the line that the rails make. I adjusted them to look like the PAPA machine, which is parallel to the line the rails make, and all the ball handling skills I've learned with the flippers suddenly pay off two to three times as often!

Funny, my 2001 was the same way, and after setting it properly(aligned with the inlane ball guide), I noticed the same things you did - it made it play a lot better, and you could trap the ball. I have since played 2 other 2001's, and I noticed they were the same way! Flippers down way too low, couldn't trap the ball. I told one guy about it, he fixed it and said he likes it better now as well.

#41 10 years ago

mikepics 001.jpgmikepics 001.jpg

#42 10 years ago

This mod here would make 2001 a better AAB game, IMO. Still wouldn't think of converting mine though.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/give-your-2001-reset-drop-targets

#43 10 years ago

Actually, Vic's flipper alignment is closer to that shown in the original GTB flyer. I kept mine parallel to the ball guides at the recommendation of some folks on RGP, but I've always meant to set them back slightly lower to make alley passing easier to pull off.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Actually, Vic's flipper alignment is closer to that shown in the original GTB flyer. I kept mine parallel to the ball guides at the recommendation of some folks on RGP, but I've always meant to set them back slightly lower to make alley passing easier to pull off.

One big gameplay effect of setting the flippers lower is, the drop targets are natural shots! When they're low, you'll see newbies shooting drops, and when they're inline, you'll see them slam the middle targets and drain. Setting them inline makes the edge shots a lot more difficult and precise, because they're all on the tip of the flipper, as opposed to the middle. It also increases the number of drops that can be shot directly with the flipper, because of the angle.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-2001-to-aab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.