World Fair replay button (resized).jpg
12C05357-BB44-4C70-97A7-2411152E88A8 (resized).jpeg
Physiological effect of electric current - WikiLectures (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_2022-09-15-08-13-32-51_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
indlkkkex (resized).jpg
electricty-764x430-3888255985 (resized).jpg
20220914_065817 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 1 year ago

Is this an issue only for games on cement? What about carpet or manufactured wood floors?

#23 1 year ago

Is there a consensus, then, that cfgi receptacles are a good solution for home users ?

#39 1 year ago

Almost picked up some cheap ones at HF this weekend. Decided to get the good ones, instead.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nobody can accidentally reverse the plug in the outlet

For us common folk…. Alternating current.. goes back and forth… what would be ‘reversing’?

#45 1 year ago

I've posted a note on my tool cart: "Hot goes to the fuse." Eventually, I'll remember it.

#48 1 year ago

Lamp cord ok? Probably the most affordable wire.

#52 1 year ago

I do buy extension cords. Cheap & polarized.

I was trying to ask about running ground wire throughout the machine. Braided common is not cheap.

But why not just make sure the polarized two prong plugs on all machines are correctly wired (hot to the fuse) and use GFCIs? My machines are all old EMs, but for one early SS. They all get new cords. Well, I’ll have to check the SS.

#71 1 year ago

K & T ?

#73 1 year ago

Oh. My.

#75 1 year ago

6’ extension cord at home depot is $1.97 and you get 12' of wire out of it. Doesn’t seem like it has to be bare from point to point. Am I missing something?

#85 1 year ago

I am pleased to report that I am still alive. Felt nary a tingle. No ground wires through the machines. No GFCIs.

With my machines on and off, I touched the machines in as many combinations as I could reach. Flipper buttons, side rails, coin doors, start buttons. Five EMs and one early SS. (Three EMs in one room, two EMs and the SS in another room.)

The EMs are plugged into grounded power strips and the building is grounded, but the machines' cords are not three prong. The SS is three pronged, into the wall.

My only explanation is that I do a good job when replacing the old cords (hot to the fuse) on all my projects, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had an explanation for why I'm not getting shocked.

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

How do you test 9 volt batteries?

I don’t. Most devices will tell you when the battery needs to be replaced. Less sophisticated devices don’t work when the battery is dead.

Also, I have a Multimeter. Don’t recall using it on batteries.

#93 1 year ago

We’ve all survived an accidental zapp here and there. I was lightly tapping the machines at first.

No one here really thought I was grabbing on with clenched fists, right? Or that the machines were complete strangers to me?

#94 1 year ago

Just wondering… why did they run full power to the coin doors? Seems unnecessary. Slam switch would just need to release a relay to shut down the game .

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

On many games the coin switch, replay button or left flipper also serves as an On button. The game doesn't do anything when first

Couldn’t they have just as well run a 5v current thru the switch that powers a coil that throws the 120v switch?

#106 1 year ago

Ok, so now we are at ground the coin door and the left flipper button and call it a day?

#127 1 year ago

I’ve told my wife that we must build a larger gameroom— so that the games can be at least six feet apart for safety. Shhhhh!

2 months later
#142 1 year ago

Am I reading this right? Looks like only 25v to coin door . 1971 Gtb Drop A Card

5A114D08-148B-477C-BBE8-61FD319E2255 (resized).jpeg5A114D08-148B-477C-BBE8-61FD319E2255 (resized).jpeg
#145 1 year ago

Is running ground to the hinge where it is screwed onto the cabinet ok, or must it be screwed into the door itself?

#147 1 year ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

BTW, 25V can kill you, too.

That was going to be my next question!

What is a ground plane?

#151 1 year ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

Did you check to see if this is the case?

No, but I will. Drop A Card

#152 1 year ago

No green wire to the coin door.

#156 1 year ago

I’ll check it out and let you know. If you don’t hear back from me, Vid was right.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider undrdog.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convert-old-2-wire-to-3-wire?tu=undrdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.