(Topic ID: 113139)

Convert EM multi-player to wedgehead; wedghead to multi?

By DirtFlipper

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

289176-i.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm tempted to try converting a Joker Poker to a wedgehead and a Golden Arrow to a two-player.

Why? Because I think the Joker Poker progression would work as a 5-ball wedgehead, without resetting the playfield between balls. I think something like a Jacks Open head could be muled with an EM Joker Poker, and modify the logic to make it work. (Not that I could bring myself to ever do that to those games, but should a 'cab' of one appear, and the 'head' of the other, I think it could be done.)

And for Golden Arrow, I think the layout and rules are a bit more suited to multi-player style play (especially if using 3-ball rules). It's fairly possible to complete the sequence and start chasing the arrow around on one ball (more so on 3-ball though). Would make a nice two-player game (would do a two-player to avoid needing the Coin Unit on the score motor board). Just about any '76-'78 two-player head would work. This one might be more feasible, since a suitable donor is more likely to find.

What other conversions would be intriguing?

Hmmm...

#2 9 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Hot Shot, 4 player EM.
I like the play of Pro Pool, the wedgehead single player better.
I've toyed with the idea of adding a switch to switch between the two rule sets.
Inserts are different, etc...but it would be a neat project.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ww.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://ww.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 9 years ago

Stay tempted but don't do it, I think you'll find it's a lot more involved than that. It's easier to convert a multi player game to a single player because the rules are much simpler and more rules depth can be added in to work with a bonus unit if needed. A single player allows for more depth so the rules are already based on that.

When converting any single player to multi player type game, it has to reset after each ball played since you don't have memory from player to player. I don't remember Golden Arrow having a bonus count so modifying it to multi player with the game resetting after each ball for another player to step in might be a bad idea. Basically, you'll end up with a really low scoring game most of the time.

As Chris (above) knows, normally, I love EM hacks but I don't think it'll translate well. I applaud your efforts and look forward to seeing your progress should you proceed.

Steve

#4 9 years ago

Abra is the only single player with a bonus unit (that I can think of offhand).

But the goal with something like Golden Arrow isn't about score per se, it's about completing the sequence and chasing the arrow around for replays. But could convert that to a points value instead (or in addition to) and use that to run up the score. Or just map it to a bonus unit instead of replays, but that adds a lot more logic.

And the point with Golden Arrow is that resetting the playfield per ball wouldn't be a huge loss of depth, as it's fairly possible to run the field on one ball as it is.

The El Dorado/Target Alpha (and all the variants) do give a flavor of adapting a playfield to either environment (as do Hot/Big Shot and Pro Pool). It's just a curiosity to ponder other combos. Or maybe 'borrow' the layout of something like Joker Poker and use as the basis for a new wedgehead (so no games are harmed in the process...).

Just late night musings.

#5 9 years ago

DF David Gottlieb is turning in his grave and other noted purists are in despair at the time of year for joy & celebration!!

#6 9 years ago

I know! Pretty twisted, really. But sometimes after you rebuild these things week in and week out, strange ideas drift through...

No worries - I wouldn't harm a restorable game.

#7 9 years ago

Joker Poker EM and Golden Arrow are both good games that should be left as-is IMO. Any spare Heads or Cabinets from those games should be used to raise yet another good EM of the same from the dead.

If you want a real project why not turn a trashed Gottlieb Magotron or a Wild Life into a single player and make it more fun while your it.

Ken

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

If you want a real project why not turn a trashed Gottlieb Magotron or a Wild Life into a single player and make it more fun while your it.

Some things are just beyond help...

Guess I'll just play the games as-is then. Sigh.

#9 9 years ago

I wouldn't do it, especially if the choice of machine is based on games that may not have the greatest respect. If there's one thing that I've learnt it's that one persons or many peoples opinions aren't necessarily what I'm going to think. Now if you built one out of a bunch of non distinguishable wrecks of whatever games that IMO would be a good place to hang some parts. Opening the conversion door in your mind is quite a thought provoker though, I can see how ones mind could come up with a lot of cool ideas.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Some things are just beyond help...
Guess I'll just play the games as-is then. Sigh.

now come on!! i am rather intrigued by this idea... even if "we" don't do an actual conversion, it would be fun to figure it out...

#11 9 years ago

Jungle King is a wedgehead with a Bonus count...

#12 9 years ago

it would not be easy but if you were willing to put in the time very doable
i believe you are the guy for the job though
i wouldn't try it a popular title rather on a sub par machine

#13 9 years ago

Dirt you're about as purist as anyone I know, but also one of those guys that is sharp enough to pull this off. If one could procure an orphaned head that could be swapped in temporarily for the experiment, why not. I think most of us here are ok with easily reversible mods. It would be great fun to go to a show and see a single player Joker Poker EM.

#14 9 years ago

I think it's more a conceptual question - which multi-player games/layouts would make a good single-player, and which single-player would make a good multi-player?

(I'd just like a single-player version of Joker Poker.)

If El D/GoldS didn't exist, and all we had was TargetA/SolarC, then I could easily imagine thinking it would make a good single-player layout.

I also think Big Hit would be a good multiplayer, but they kind of did that with Pro Football/Gridiron. With Big Hit, the drops already reset every ball, so it's partway there.

The purist in me wouldn't hack up a game, but maybe if one were building a new EM, or really did have just a bucket of parts, there's some fun to be had.

Just another rainy day project (behind too many other projects).

#15 9 years ago

What I found Joker Poker really needed was a drop target reset during each ball in play. After you knock them all down, there really isn't much left to do. They addressed this with the solid state version. It is what it is.

#16 9 years ago

I am not real familiar with Golden Arrow other than it bored me so I can't comment on its re-creation. I know a friend that loves the carry over feature of Scuba as a 2 player.

However, I think a good alternative to your idea would be to find a Late model Wedge head that is thrashed (or even a multi player if you want to do a bit more hacking) and then locate a Solid State Joker Poker Playfield. And then begin the metamorphosis from there. It would be a challenge but would be interesting to see the end result. It may help the project to go over the relay logic of other late single player Drop Target games or even sequence games and see if the relay logic is mostly there for the drop target feature. Drop targets themselves serve to replace a large bank used for rollover or target sequences. Perhaps a Card Whiz or Royal Flush would be the best bottom cabinet donner as it pretty much already supports most of the card scan bonus feature. And Thrashed Royal Flushes are plentiful out there.

A friend of mine plans to transplant a Jacks Open into the classic wedge head cabinet without the recessed door. He can't stand that late model cabinet and doesn't want it to be the only game in his wedge head line-up. He is starting with a badly weathered original cabinet so it really doesn't matter if he is doing a repaint of the deep or the shallow cabinet.

I have a Top Card with a 10 Backglass, a 9.5 cabinet but a 4.5 playfield. And Top Cards with nice playfields don't show up reasonably priced in So Cal. I was given a Drop A Card playfield and I have already mapped out all the necessary logic changes to put the Drop A Card into the Top Card. The only problem (besides time) is the 4 digit vs. 5 Digit scoring. I also plan to modify the rules to be a bit more like an Add A Ball as far as target reset goes. I also want to put 3" flippers on the DAC. After all, if you are going to Frankenstein something, why not go all out! It would be easy to drop the Top Card playfield back in and remove the mods if a nice playfield ever came my way.

Jumping Jack / Jack in the Box is one game I would like to have seen in a Single Player format. While I love King Pin, I love the Jack games better. However, as they sit, it is a game you can actually complete the drop targets multiple times in 1 Ball. Therefore, you would probably have to adapt the idea of first time down, "award something" 2nd time down, "award something better" and then 3rd and each additional time down, award Replay/Special.

Of course Lawman/Sheriff, which I prefer over Atlantis, already exists as a Wedge Head (Texas Ranger) albeit a very rare export. And, I don't see much benefit in changing a Multiplayer game like Fast Draw, over to single player.

With Joker Poker, I think you have selected the 2nd best Title to attempt such a conversion. The first would be to take a SS Count Down and make a Single Player Space Walk out of it. Both, based on the current value of each of the EM counterparts. The effort would probably be greatly rewarded financially if it were ever done.

#17 9 years ago

Ooo, I like the idea of a single-player Count Down/Space Walk. Duly noted.

Another one I could see doing would be a multi-player High Hand. Plenty of those available, not a great replay game, but the game logic might work better as a multi-player - get all the targets down, collect the bonus via the kickout. Kind of like Spirit76/Pioneer (which I think are great as multi-player, but wouldn't want it as a single-player).

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

DF David Gottlieb is turning in his grave and other noted purists are in despair at the time of year for joy & celebration!!

Could be worse. He could be trying to turn an EM into a f*cking solid state game.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Ooo, I like the idea of a single-player Count Down/Space Walk. Duly noted.
Another one I could see doing would be a multi-player High Hand. Plenty of those available, not a great replay game, but the game logic might work better as a multi-player - get all the targets down, collect the bonus via the kickout. Kind of like Spirit76/Pioneer (which I think are great as multi-player, but wouldn't want it as a single-player).

Yes High Hand would certainly work as a multi player but I reckon its great as a single player. Ok the targets don't reset and drains are plentiful but in many respects its my favourite machine.

#20 9 years ago

c37 would of been a better multi player game imo
jet spin would of been cool as a wedgehead

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

c37 would of been a better multi player game imo
jet spin would of been cool as a wedgehead

Yes Super Spin/Jet Spin would be a great donor as a wedgehead and I think plenty around. I cant figure out a backglass though

#22 9 years ago

We're really thinking "outside the box" today aren't we?

#23 9 years ago

Were repro backglasses for Space Walk ever made? Would be a nice wall hanger...

#24 9 years ago

yes shay ran very small run of space walk all were sold prior to the run

289176-i.jpg289176-i.jpg
#25 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

yes shay ran very small run of space walk all were sold prior to the run

Cool. So at least the screens exist then.

Too bad the Count Down playfield is so different from a Space Walk. I'd be tempted to convert a Count Down into a Space Walk, if the backglass could be had.

#26 9 years ago

they were not the normal price either if I recall shay charged 575 per glass and it only had a 6 glass run

#27 9 years ago

Looks to me like Mustang would be the best Donner game to begin a EM countdown/Space Walk. While it may take some interesting relay/stepper logic to support the 2X-5X bonus multiplier, a good majority of the other support logic is already there. It appears the score reels should line up okay.

I wonder if there were any NOS Space Walk playfields in the stuff Steve got from archives of Mondial/Premier? If there were, I am sure they have long since been installed in actual S/W games. But might mean there are some used pulls out there somewhere????

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Not as much as you might think, Wayner. My reputation as a purist aside, there are some headless and bodyless games out there that would only be used for parts otherwise. A "Frankenstein" experiment which could put those games to use doesn't upset me. I have a headless "Pleasure Isle". I toyed with the idea of making a single player wedgehead out of it. Now THAT would be cool!
Many years ago, my brother had a headless "Ice Revue". He managed to find a lightbox insert for an
"Ice Show". He got an empty backbox, and cobbled together a working pin. It had an "IR" backglass in it. Eventually he got an "Ice Revue" lightbox insert and made the game right, but he was able to enjoy a "Frankenstein Ice Thing" for a while in the interim.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

....would be the best Donner game....

I think I'll "pass" on that experiment!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Sertinly, speling is knot one of my bitter attributes.

I typed "doner" and a red line appeared below it. I added another N and the red line went away. So I moved on........ Guess I needed one more "o" and one less "e".

1 week later
#31 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

A-gu-gu-gu....

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
ttp://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
htp://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convert-em-multi-player-to-wedgehead-wedghead-to-multi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.