Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Davi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1993 (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

Was wondering if anybody might know if I could use a judge dredd wiring harness and boards to make an Indiana Jones wide body…

#2 2 years ago

Cabinet and boards in the head, yes. The rest, no.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Nothing will be exactly the same. You might be able to use it as a donor game, but you would have some work figuring everything out. Anything can be done. Here is a easier example.

DSCN1993 (resized).JPGDSCN1993 (resized).JPG
    #4 2 years ago

So, I couldn’t use any part of the dredd wiring harness??

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

I couldn’t use any part of the dredd wiring harness??

Wires. Though many may end up too short or too long. Wire color codes will be the same. Where they go to. Coils, lights, switches, will have a LOT of differences.

#6 2 years ago

So theoretically, I probably could do some cutting and reconfigured wire placement according to a the schematics on an Indiana jones…….?? I was just thinking of a new project to do and happen to have an extra dredd I got for 400$. Since it was really cheap, I thought it would be a good machine to crossover to an ij.

#7 2 years ago

By the way…..
    Thank you guys for the feedback! Very appreciated!!

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

Since it was really cheap, I thought it would be a good machine to crossover to an ij.

Glad it was cheap.

All the parts for IJ you'll never find will cost a fortune.

#9 2 years ago

Yeah, I was looking into it. A small piece of steel is dirt cheap, but a manufactured piece for a game is 10k markup. Add every little piece up and your broke before you know it!!

#10 2 years ago

You'd be better off fixing up the JD as best you can. Sell it. Roll that money into getting an IJ.

Save a lot of money in the long run.

#11 2 years ago

Already cleaned it up and just might do that. Just seemed like it could possibly be a way to end up with a almost “showroom floor” IJ, for possibly around the same price of a used one. Seems like a lot of the semi-worn out ones still go for quite a bit.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

Already cleaned it up and just might do that. Just seemed like it could possibly be a way to end up with a almost “showroom floor” IJ, for possibly around the same price of a used one. Seems like a lot of the semi-worn out ones still go for quite a bit.

Look at the guy that built the TAF from scratch, it's gonna cost him way more than buying a nice one and at the cost of hundreds of hours of planning, ordering, and labor.
    It's a nice thought, but LTG is right, just flip the JD and buy one.

#13 2 years ago

Mine isn’t technically from scratch. I have the cab, boards, optos, lamp sockets, some wiring, etc. I think the main part of it, is the insane labor I would go through and the constant……”hey”, does anyone have an an answer for this problem….. So, your advise is well taken

#14 2 years ago

You close to Houston? I'll be interested in the JD.

#15 2 years ago

No can do. You asked about it in the other thread. “What machine did you bring home today”. I’m in Hawaii

#16 2 years ago

Your collection shows an IJ. Hmmm…….

#17 2 years ago

Tiny bubbles, in pin pricing....

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Tiny bubbles, in pin pricing....

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

No can do. You asked about it in the other thread. “What machine did you bring home today”. I’m in Hawaii

HAHA! That's right. I know what you mean about doing a conversion. I have a Road Show project that I considered converting into something else. The problem is the cost and the struggle to find the "hard to find" and "one of a kind" parts. I've even considered doing a TOTAN build from scratch but it would cost less to buy one good one and restore it to brand new.

And yes I do have IJ. It has the typical cabinet fade but otherwise is nice.

#20 2 years ago

Right on man! I guess all of us pipe dreamers of scratch builds, should just wait for a couple lemons to roll by
    Most people say they like IJ better than TAF…How bout you?

#21 2 years ago

I reckon you could do it.

You have the cab and the boards.

Main cost would be the playfields. Everything else would add up for sure, but you have a lot of it.

Playfields and radcal set is $1250 plus post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1042-mircoplayfields/03487-indiana-jones-playfield-set-plus-radcals-packagedeal

You have $400 into your machine.

1250 plus 400 = 1650

Surely you can get everything done for under $5000?

Depending on your skill set of course. I would hand make a lot of stuff if I was doing it, I guess others would buy stuff.

The other scenario - you sell your Dredd for what, $4500? A fully shopped IJ with new playfields is what these days? $12,500? Probably more.

12,500 less your 4500 = $8000.

Don’t forget you can sell all the old Dredd stuff too. Playfield, BG, etc. In a perfect world, that stuff may cover the $1250 new playfield and radcals.

I’d give it a crack!

But that’s me.

rd

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

Right on man! I guess all of us pipe dreamers of scratch builds, should just wait for a couple lemons to roll by
    Most people say they like IJ better than TAF…How bout you?

Wireforms would be a huge challenge. Those are crazy parts to try and reproduce. Have an example to work from would help but still tough. Metal guides would be doable from examples if you had one. Playfields, decals and plastics can be found for a price. Not sure how you would reproduce the idol mech so you'd need to find a scrap one to restore.

As someone said, restore the dredd and flip it. Market is crazy right now. Dredd is a very underrated game.

Jaz

#23 2 years ago

Well it looks like nobody has wire forms. That’s a bitch

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

Well it looks like nobody has wire forms. That’s a bitch

Wireform for IJ is not a problem. Supplied sets for IJ builds.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/90#post-5060442

I have an IJ, and working on an almost scratch JD build. Unless you have tons of time (400+), don't try to convert the JD to IJ.

#25 2 years ago

Thanks for the info!
    Curious why the scratch JD?

#26 2 years ago

Scratch builds work for old Sterns and Ballys from the late 70s and early 80s since they all raided the same parts bin, but about anything else is a time and money wasting exercise in futility.

#27 2 years ago

Get in touch with Davi, Wally, Damitre or myself if you are serious.

#28 2 years ago

Cool! Thanks guys!

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

Thanks for the info!
    Curious why the scratch JD?

It's not a real scratch build. I purchased a Dredd as disassembled, promoted as a complete package. It turned out that many missing pin specific part was not in the package, like VUK, drop target assy, playfield harnesses.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convert-a-jd-pin-to-an-ij-pin?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.