(Topic ID: 297844)

Convert a D-12232-3 to work in a Whirlwind?

By Phantasize

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ypurchn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone

Does anyone know if it it possible to convert a d-12232-3 display to work in a Whirlwind?

As i understand it, the -3 variant is actually 2x16 alphanumeric displays, but have the bottom row running as numeric, freeing up "data lines" to run an external 7 digit display instead.

A friend of mine bought a Whirlwind but the display in it was a D-12232-3, so he would like to convert it if possible, as the display itself is actually really crisp and clear.

Anyone know if it is possible?

#2 2 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11

Sections 4.7.5,.6,&.7 seem to describe what needs to be done. Hope that helps

#3 2 years ago

Thank you for your input. It does seem that the info is there, however i am a little confused what i actually need to do to go from a -3 board to a regular 2x16 alphanumeric.

I wish there was a guide describing a conversion the other way around. Perhaps if i get the display in front of me, it will make more sense what needs to be done.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phantasize:

Thank you for your input. It does seem that the info is there, however i am a little confused what i actually need to do to go from a -3 board to a regular 2x16 alphanumeric.
    I wish there was a guide describing a conversion the other way around. Perhaps if i get the display in front of me, it will make more sense what needs to be done.

The moral of the story - buy what you need and sell the other display. May spend some money but will keep you sanity.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convert-a-d-12232-3-to-work-in-a-whirlwind?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.