3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0015a.jpg
    IMG_0013a.jpg
    BraidWire.jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Just wondered what wire size(the bare wire stapled to the playfield) is ok for playfield lamps on Early SS machines. I think 18 awg was standard but will 22 awg be ok as a sub? I’m talking about the power braid that runs along the playfield.

#2 3 years ago

A friend of mine gave me a roll of this but I haven't had the chance to try it yet:

https://www.amazon.com/iLightingSupply-56-0836-06-Braided-Tinned-Silver/dp/B079Q2VLGD

18 gauge braided tinned copper wire 250Ft spool
    BraidWire.jpgBraidWire.jpg

#3 3 years ago

18 gauge wire can handle 2.3 amps and 22 is <1amp so not a good sub. If you could ensure that only LEDs were used, maybe, but for 44s or 47s go with the thicker.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

A friend of mine gave me a roll of this but I haven't had the chance to try it yet:
    amazon.com link »
    18 gauge braided tinned copper wire 250Ft spool
    [quoted image]

I saw this, but when I read the reviews someone mentioned it was aluminum coated and would not take solder.

#5 3 years ago

I ordered a roll of this before it was moved to 2-5 weeks for delivery and should have it tomorrow.... will try it out on Tuesday to see how well it takes solder. It would be incredibly useless if it were aluminum coated! Granted, they do say tinned.... but not with what.

It's better than picture wire, which does take solder, but is steel so isn't going to conduct as well.

I used an old solder from radioshack that was sold as "clear flux solder" which seems to solder really well on lamp sockets and this type of wire (it's likely just got a lower melting point vs. the 60/40 and 63/37 I use for boards) or maybe the flux formulation flows better on the larger surfaces.... I'll try a couple different types as a test.

If it doesn't take solder I'll post that too, and I'll have a nice 250' roll of picture wire (which I also currently need.....)

#6 3 years ago

The picture wire that takes solder ain't so bad. I measured the resistance on a 12 foot piece and it was only 0.1 ohm.

#7 3 years ago

I meant to add in my original response about picture wire isn't so much the conductivity, but the fact that it rusts. The machine I used it on I sold after about a year from the PF swap and it was already corroding.

#8 3 years ago

Hoping the roll you get checks out ok. Not easy to find at a good price.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

I saw this, but when I read the reviews someone mentioned it was aluminum coated and would not take solder.

The braid wire my friend gave me which is the same product code as what I linked solders perfectly fine with my old Multicore solder.
    Ignore the broken bobbin, it came from a different seller.

IMG_0013a.jpgIMG_0013a.jpg
    IMG_0015a.jpgIMG_0015a.jpg

#10 3 years ago

I can verify that it's the correct size and took solder very well. Not as nice in terms of threading it like the wire I got ages ago from pinrestore, which seems really flexible, but that's ok, sometimes less flexy is better.

I also checked it to make sure it's 18 ga. it looked a little skinny but probably illusionary because there's no jacket..... stripped a regular 18 ga. and compared in the wire gauge.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/controlled-lamps-wire-size and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.