Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tatman9999
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6184A0StEUL._SL1500_.jpg
    10011397_786186678067276_3870133184291830219_n.jpg
    IMG_4553.JPG
    remotes.jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

So I have been getting my 8 swap boxes all set up / mounted over the past few weeks in my gameroom and just finished the other day. I then realized I would really love to be able to control them all with a switch on the wall. After looking at many different options from replacing outlets to physically re-wiring within the wall I decided to go much a simpler (& relatively cheap) route. I decided to purchase the following set of remote controlled outlets that came with 2 remotes.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS

remotes.jpgremotes.jpg

After looking at these I decided since I could get a 5 pack relatively cheap maybe I would put some pins on remote too so I didn't have to go down the line and manually turn on each one. What I really like about these remote outlets is each one can supposedly take up to 10A current & 1200w which should definitely be enough to power a few pins. I have a wall of 8 Sterns and decided to hook the left 4 games to an outlet, the right 4 games to a different outlet, and then of course the swap boxes to the third outlet unit. Some strong double sided tape to put the remote on the wall and BAM, gameroom on demand

Loving it so far! I'll let you guys know if I experience any issues or random resets e.t.c.

IMG_4553.JPGIMG_4553.JPG

10011397_786186678067276_3870133184291830219_n.jpg10011397_786186678067276_3870133184291830219_n.jpg

#2 9 years ago

SOLD! Now I just need more than 1 machine to make it worth it.
    Lovin the backglass murals, that's wicked.

#3 9 years ago

I've been using these for years, work great.

You can also program the remote to operate multiple outlets at once, so if power load is not an issue you can set the 4th or 5th set of buttons to turn every outlet on and off at the same time.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from aingide:

I've been using these for years, work great.
    You can also program the remote to operate multiple outlets at once, so if power load is not an issue you can set the 4th or 5th set of buttons to turn every outlet on and off at the same time.

Awesome! I had no idea. I'll definitely check that out

#5 9 years ago

Love the demonstration. My favorite part was when you turned them on and off.

#6 9 years ago

Excellent. Wall of translites is nice.

LTG : )™

#7 9 years ago

Jesus, I think you have more money in Swapboxes than I have in my entire pin collection.

That's a pretty smokin' price for 5 controllable plugs... I need to see how much current my jukebox pulls...

#8 9 years ago

Love the translite boxes on the wall, love the product! Sure beats bending over and turning on a strip.

On a slightly related note, anyone have any idea what the cost is if I wanted to add an additional bank of lines in my main fuse box? (say a small 6 slot box beneath it)? I really only have one useable outlet in my basement, and it's pretty limiting to what I can have on.

#10 9 years ago

This is exactly what I need, well found and shared (thank goodness for Bongo so I can get them to Australia).
    Pinside is like the stockmarket - only 1 item left at Amazon - things get snapped up so quickly when they are shared on here - often driving the prices up! Remember the ACDC canon mod? went from$4 to $80 in 1 weeks

#11 9 years ago

I got some at home depot during the holidays for like $10

#12 9 years ago

Fattrain, hope you bought the set which is also compatible with an internet router.

Mine machines and lightning are all on those switches, and i can control them from my iPhone.
    Also handy if you are out and it becomes later then you tought it would be, the app sends instructions to the router, and all lights go on, even when you are out of town, or country for that matter

#13 9 years ago

WeMo makes some that can be controlled over the internet with your smart phone as well if that floats your boat. My wife got me one for Christmas and I haven't figured out what to do with it - Till now.

#14 9 years ago

I think this thread just caused amazon to sell out

#15 9 years ago

Just ordered a set hope it does work with the internet that would be cool

#16 9 years ago

Looks like a different section on Amazon has them in stock for same price...

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Learning-Wireless-Control-included/dp/B00DQELHBS

#17 9 years ago

Heres a behind the scenes if you want to see how I automated the startup and added music. Not cheap but I love it.

The remotes are cool too

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from thunderstorm:

Heres a behind the scenes if you want to see how I automated the startup and added music. Not cheap but I love it.
    The remotes are cool too
    » YouTube video

Wow! Very industrial approach and being an IT guy I can totally respect all the integration and tech! Well done!

My install was only about 5min, I can't imagine how many hundreds of hours that must have taken you. Nice work!

1 month later
    #19 9 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Looks like a different section on Amazon has them in stock for same price...
    amazon.com link »

Sweet! Just ordered a set. Thanks for the heads up Justin!

Mike

#20 9 years ago

Bought it and hooked up all my pins to 1 button. Such a dream to flick them all on/off with 1 button. 1 button is for my neons, and 1 button is for my jukebox. Thanks for the great tip.

2 weeks later
    #21 9 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Bought it and hooked up all my pins to 1 button. Such a dream to flick them all on/off with 1 button. 1 button is for my neons, and 1 button is for my jukebox. Thanks for the great tip.

Quoted from papazit1963:

Sweet! Just ordered a set. Thanks for the heads up Justin!
    Mike

AWESOME!!! Glad I could help Loving mine so far!

In fact, just hung a pool table light in the other room that was just "on" when plugged in. Used my extra 5th receiver and now it's #5 on my remote and I just keep a remote in each room. SCORE!

#22 9 years ago

The remotes are cool too
    » YouTube video

Thats awesome. I work in the Industrial Automation field and I've always pondered on all the wild stuff I could do at home if I had a PLC.

#23 9 years ago

Go directly to company website. Cheaper and there is a survey you can take for another 20% off.

Oops...and free shipping with coupon also!

#24 9 years ago

Little tip for Canadians, since etekcity does not want to ship to Canada from any of their usual stores, this ebay listing shipped to me:

ebay.com link: 1 2 3 5 Pack Wireless Remote Control Light Switch Outlet Plug Socket W Remote

#25 9 years ago

I am going to look into this!

#26 9 years ago

I just ordered this from Etekcity's website using the code from completing the survey (20% off) and got it for $20 shipped for the 5 pack with 2 remotes.

Are you plugging a power strip into this so that you can connect multiple games to the one outlet? What is the most pins that can be connected to a single outlet?

Thanks,
    Ed

#27 9 years ago

I have my 2 pins and jukebox set up on remote. Very good investment for $15.

#28 9 years ago

Considering how much home automation normally costs, this is an amazing solution.

#29 9 years ago

Way better than the remotes I got at harbor freight. Thanks for the heads up I just bought 3 sets.
    I take it that one outlet can control up to 4 pins...

Jeff
    Classic Arcades Inc.

#30 9 years ago

Oops. Pulled the trigger too quick. I bought them off amazon and paid tax and shipping. Should have read more and saw the ebay link with 5% off and free shipping and no tax

Oh well

Jeff
    Classic Arcades Inc.

#31 9 years ago

I dont leave my games plugged in for fear of a power surge. This would be nice if I left them plugged in though.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

I dont leave my games plugged in for fear of a power surge. This would be nice if I left them plugged in though.

There's an audible relay switch sound when the plugs are activated. I am hoping this might protect the pins from a power surge when not in use.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Excellent. Wall of translites is nice.
    LTG : )™

+1 Would love to do something like that! thanks for sharing!

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

There's an audible relay switch sound when the plugs are activated. I am hoping this might protect the pins from a power surge when not in use.

Yeah it won't. May stop a typical surge but a direct lighting striker would bridge any gap, hell it can even jump an empty fuse holder. Better safe than sorry.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from eharan:

I just ordered this from Etekcity's website using the code from completing the survey (20% off) and got it for $20 shipped for the 5 pack with 2 remotes.
    Are you plugging a power strip into this so that you can connect multiple games to the one outlet? What is the most pins that can be connected to a single outlet?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Yes, I have one power strip going into each controller. 4 pins per power strip and I've had no problems.

#36 9 years ago

I would really like to do this with the remote controlled outlets, but I am in the 'fraid of lightning' category. (Spring in Milwaukee, lots of storms)

No common (non-industrial) switch or relay has enough air gap to stop a strike to the wires near your house. Air gap in those relays will be 1/16" or less. Even when a switch is off, the ground is NOT SWITCHED- the lightning strike will travel just as well through the always connected ground wire to the games. Neutral is also not switched in most commonly available switches. (Need DPST switch) The MOV in the game is not a guarantee of protection. Power strip quality suppressors/arresters use similar MOVs.

So I physically unplug the power strips when not playing. That reduces the odds of getting my games fried from "very, very remote" to zero. Why so paranoid? Some of these games have been in my life for 20 years or so, I brought them back from the dead spending many hours learning how vintage Motorola microprocessors work, and don't want any chance they could be damaged by lightning. Plus some of them are worth some $$$. The whole thought of trying to repair power surge damage on my games is not something I want to face, even though the remote set-up is really cool. Note that I don't give one seconds thought to protecting TVs, stereos, computers or the coffee maker. Only the games get the 'unplugging treatment'.

Here's some advice (advice is free, but if you follow it it will cost you some money) - If you keep games plugged in, get a real, commercial grade surge arrester that actually says they are good for lightning strikes.

Don C

#37 9 years ago

I love it. We're officially out of problems when we're trying to find easier ways to turn on all of our pinball machines!

#38 9 years ago

The remotes are cool too
    » YouTube video

Is that an ATM in your basement? Lol

2 months later
    #39 9 years ago

Just a friendly bump in case anyone missed it the first time around

#40 9 years ago

Haha train You own-thread-pumper you

#41 9 years ago

The ones that I always bought came with 12 inch cord extenders. You can buy them pretty cheap as well. Without them it's really hard to fit on a surge protector with other devices.

http://www.amazon.com/1-Feet-Outlet-Saver-Extension-5-Pack/dp/B00B728JY4/ref=pd_sim_indust_7

6184A0StEUL._SL1500_.jpg6184A0StEUL._SL1500_.jpg

4 months later
    #42 9 years ago

nice done!

#43 9 years ago

Done and done. Thanks for the review.

#44 9 years ago

Great tip, thank you

#45 9 years ago

Oh come on, where's the fun if you can't hunt through the years of cemented on gum to find the switch?

3 weeks later
    #46 9 years ago

Fattrain, thx for the info on this device. They work great in my game room. I have a quick write up on my blog with a video similar to yours. Thx again

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/02/11/control-your-game-room-remotely/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog: http://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pbsupernova?ref=hl

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PinbalSupernova

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA/feed?view_as=public

#47 9 years ago

Here is what I have.... Power surge with remote. Works great. Highly recommend.
    http://amzn.com/B003P2UMNK

#48 9 years ago

Digging mine too. I put all 5 pins on one of them, no issues.

Also did my arcade machine, some of the lights, etc.

#49 9 years ago

I bought a 5-pack and plugged them in for my game row outside my arcade, much better! I don't like to turn on 5 games when I am only going to play 1 or two, so this is useful.

#50 9 years ago

Just got this in, very nice to not be crawling under machines. I've got my LED strip around the molding and one pin on one, juke on one, 4 back pins on one, and then three pins a piece on my long line on the last. Can turn the whole gameroom one with the press of a few buttons...awesome!

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/control-your-gameroom-by-remote/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.