(Topic ID: 236440)

Control Light flicker issue on SS Mata Hari (not LEDs)

By Mathazar

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mathazar
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Slowly bringing up a Mata Hari SS to being functional and this weekend I'm looking at lights. I'm having a strange issue with the control lights flickering as if I'm trying to run LEDs without an Alltek or flicker eliminator adapter. Here are the details:

- MPU, Solenoid, and Lamp boards are Alltek. Rectifier board is Rottendog.
- All connectors have been re-pinned.
- All lights (GI and Control) are incandescent. No LEDs.
- Control lights work fine in game play/attract mode - THEY DO NOT FLICKER.
- Control lights flicker only when in Self Test Lamp Test mode. GI lights flash ok but most all Control lights flicker in Self Test.
- Using a known good Alltek Lamp board. You don't need voltage applied to TP13 on the Alltek if you're not using LEDs, but I tried it both with and without (no difference).
- The original Lamp board for this Mata Hari has other issues, but it partially works enough for me to try and see if it does the same flicker thing, and it does.

If I had a power issue, or socket issue, or connector pin issue I would expect the flicker to occur both in Self Test and in game play, but not one or the other.

What's the difference between game play/attract mode vs. Self Test Lamp when it comes to blinking the Control lights on and off? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.....

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What do you mean?

In Self Test for the lamps, all lights (GI and Control) in the game are supposed to flash. In my case, the GI lamps flash and (most of) the Control lamps flicker.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

In Self Test for the lamps, all lights (GI and Control) in the game are supposed to flash. In my case, the GI lamps flash and (most of) the Control lamps flicker.

The GI lamps aren't supposed to flash as far as I know. They weren't controlled until Galaxy. Unless there's some special thing on Mata Hari I don't know about? I've never seen the GI flash during lamp test on any Bally/Stern

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The GI lamps aren't supposed to flash as far as I know. They weren't controlled until Galaxy. Unless there's some special thing on Mata Hari I don't know about? I've never seen the GI flash during lamp test on any Bally/Stern

You're absolutely right - the GI's don't flash in Self Test (my mistake). Not sure what I was thinking when I said that...I'd been swapping light boards around so many times trying to establish a behavior pattern that probably in my head I was thinking that GI's are "ok" and that "ok" meant flashing without flickering.

No matter - the problem is resolved. I cleared the memory on the Alltek MPU and now the control lights are flashing without flickering in Self Test mode. I hadn't tried clearing the memory before I first posted this issue because I cleared the memory when I first put the Alltek MPU in the machine 3 weeks ago. Not sure why I would have to do that again? I did resolve several other logic and wiring issues on the machine along the way...perhaps some bit got left in a bad state as collateral damage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/control-light-flicker-issue-on-ss-mata-hari-not-leds?hl=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.