Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pindude80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

At minimum, you should be reflowing solder on all the header pins on all the boards. Do that first. Next if you are still having issues with some insert lamps out, you have to do some troubleshooting. Is the bulb bad, is the socket bad, is the connection to the board bad, is the SCR bad, is the socket getting voltage etc etc.

Tbh, it is easier to replace the contacts and install new header pins than to clean them with sandpaper. It all takes time, but at least you'll know it was done right. I've worked on a few games now where I would have smashed the PO on the head with my ratchet if I saw them doing the halfassed things I've had to rework. Take your time and do it right.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I did reflow the solder last night when I cleaned the pins but that didn't make a difference which was kind of surprising because some looked very questionable. I've checked and replaced bulbs on lights that are out so good there. The reason I was leaning towards connectors and starting there is because if I wiggled or took off the connectors and put them back on some lights would come on and the black coating of crap on the surface of the pins.
I am usually one to usually do things the correct way so you probably are right and maybe I can make some time to replace the pins and contacts this weekend. Out of curiosity though, and for my knowledge, why would it be bad to clean the contacts with sandpaper if it's a clean metal on metal contact?

Definitely don't rush anything. For the short term, it might work, but you'll just be reworking it again in the future. Might as well do it right and have it last for 30 more years. If anything, for the next guy. For me, doing board work has been therapeutic, if anything. There's something satisfying about desoldering the old stuff, and soldering in the new stuff. It's very enjoyable for me. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing that your work was done well and not slopped together only to be undone by the next guy who would have preferred that you didn't touch it in the first place. Trust me on this

#11 4 years ago

I may have linked to this thread in another one of yours, but if I didn't I would start a list of lamps that are out and start troubleshooting each one. You may find that there is a combination of bad lamps (especially if they're incandescent), bad sockets, poor connections to sockets, and bad SCRs. Make a list and start knocking them out one by one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/paragon-controlled-lamps-only-some-dont-work

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 22.50
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/control-light-contact-and-pin-cleaning-question?tu=fatpanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.