(Topic ID: 235224)

Continued WOZ Castle Door Issues

By harryhoudini

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Let me recap.. left door wasn't opening all the way and I was getting RESCUE mode triggered erroneously during game play. Pounding on the playfield did not trigger the switch but quite often during gameplay it happened and several here said it was door switch adjustment, ok.

So, I ordered one of the door motors and replaced it. I tried to adjust the doors by loosening the set screws on the door shafts and twisting the door all the way closed and tightening. I wasn't sure of any other method of adjusting how the door interacted with the switch. It doesn't look like the switch can move position.

The new door motor solved the opening issue, yay. However, while RESCUE mode was triggered less, it seems like when the ball was put in to the shooter lane or some other coils fired it would trigger one of the door switches. So I took out the playfield again today and noticed that the springs that hold the doors closed looked pretty stretched out. That seems like it could be the culprit so I pulled out a few coils, snipped them off and re-set the springs. Now the left door opens half way and the right door not at all.

Obviously it seems like my spring adjustments are causing too much tension to open the doors, so I figure I can loosen those up a bit but before I go and spend a lot of time with removal/install of the playfield some more I was wondering if that is all I can adjust and is that likely what is keeping the doors from opening? I can't imagine the motors aren't powerful enough to overcome a few less coils on the springs but it sure seems that way. Maybe the right door motor is on the way out too so that is why it can't open the door?

Any input on how to properly adjust this would be really helpful. It's getting quite annoying at this point, having had that playfield out probably 20 times now.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Any input on how to properly adjust this would be really helpful. It's getting quite annoying at this point, having had that playfield out probably 20 times now.

When you put it back in, be sure the lugs on the motor aren't shorting to the lane guides below on the main playfield.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I had this same issue. The motor couldn't over come the spring tension on the left door. I ended up stretching the spring to reduce tension and then cutting the spring a bit shorter. Works fine now. There's a fine line between too much tension for the door to open and not enough for the door to close. Take your time adjust in small increments.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When you put it back in, be sure the lugs on the motor aren't shorting to the lane guides below on the main playfield.
LTG : )

Thanks... not sure how that could happen if the playfield is screwed in to position?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I had this same issue. The motor couldn't over come the spring tension on the left door. I ended up stretching the spring to reduce tension and then cutting the spring a bit shorter. Works fine now. There's a fine line between too much tension for the door to open and not enough for the door to close. Take your time adjust in small increments.

Thanks, that helps. Going to take it out again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
$ 24.50
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 5.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-woz-castle-door-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.