IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I think pinball manufacturers will have to start using adhesive PETG sheets with the artwork applied to the back, similar to the hardtops. With ghosting, chipping and pooling of clearcoats, stricter environmental regulations and the extra scrutiny the playfields are getting when bought for the home, the need to replace playfields is going to get more and more common. At some point it just won't be worth it anymore.

I’ve been thinking the same thing, the hardtop seems like a great solution to me.

#233 4 years ago

There is no way I’m letting this playfield thing stop my pinball fun. I’m unboxing a JP2 tomorrow.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Don't cancel. Put emotion ahead of logic. Itll be fine . Emotionally driven decisions always work out better.

Best of luck I've been trying to calm the hysteria over this issue for months in the JJP POTC chipping thread.

It's really not worth flipping out over IMO. Yeah it sucks, yeah it needs to stop, yeah we want some kind of reasonable fix. But at the end of the day it really is a minor blemish that doesn't affect gameplay enjoyment.

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I Agree....at the same time people want their games to look great and last. I can see why people are upset as what happens if it gets worse in the future.
Disclaimer...I have a POTC LE ....Love it... NO chipping, but pooling around posts...Knock on Wood!

Yeah, my chipping on POTC LE (I've seen it on 3/3 machines) was hideable by using star posts on the slingshots. If there are more places, I can't see them and I'm not going to go looking for them.

If I couldn't hide the chipping spots, I would be upset too for sure.

#352 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

"Hey your playfield is chipping to pieces and looks like phuking shit dude". "Yeah i know, not a big deal, its just a minor blemish on a 10K game.......doesnt bother me at all".
Dude are you f*cking serious? You are either rich beyond belief or really really dumb!

Neither is the case. Life is short, I choose not to let this issue ruin my fun.

#353 4 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

To me the playfield issues are only flaws if you focus on it. Believe me. It can make you miserable. I choose to not be miserable about it and play and enjoy my games. I bought these to enjoy myself. Not to show off or to sit there looking pristine. Shit happens. Its how we deal with it. I hope everyone finds a solution to this and works together. Wishing financial ruin to the manufactures does nothing.

Exactly how I feel. Well stated.

#355 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

If your table was chipped to the point that it had large uneven areas that affected gameplay, would you change your mind?

Absolutely I would. So far the issues I've had are small ones I can hide. I did the POTC posts/gummy washers months ago and haven't seen any additional spread since then, thankfully.

I saw a Ghostbusters once that looked like a belt sander was taken to the playfield. If mine was doing that I'd absolutely be on the horn with the distributor about it and I would want some kind of resolution.

Is anyone claiming major peeling yet though? So far all I've seen are small chips around posts.

#359 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why do i do it? I do it because i love pinball and all of the lights and sounds etc and one of the things that i love about pinball is the gorgeous colors and artwork. Pinball machines in my eyes are beautiful and when you combine everything that i just said, i want to keep them looking that way.

Full agreement, and I work hard to get mine and to keep them nice also.

#361 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Just imagine picking up your brand new motorbike, and allready some minor rust on the edge of the fuel filler hole . Or Lets say the edge if your car door. Everyone knows where it will lead to
“Ah dont worry, its only on the edge, nothing to worry about its not like the whole tank is peeling” was said by the sales guys. We we’re like “ what?”
Six months later and over 2500 sold bikes were recalled in for a new tank worldwide . Faulty adhesion led to you guessed it.. big peeling off..I replaced about a 50 with my fellow mechanics at the store
So, If the cat is in the bag, dont act like it isnt because it always comes out .

You do make a good point. Maybe I am in denial over here because I just want to enjoy my games (as we all do!)

#441 4 years ago

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 5.53.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-27 at 5.53.44 PM.png

EDIT: Just having some fun here folks

#464 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It's sort of ironic that you can pay JJP extra for shiny RadCals eye candy

Yeah but those things are awesome

IMG_0784.jpegIMG_0784.jpeg
#577 4 years ago
Quoted from LamF:

If you have a playfield issue, please report to your distributor or Stern or JJP, even if you think you're willing to live with it. Do it as a service to the community at large, ffs! A playfield that is chipping or rippling and thus prone to chipping later is not acceptable on a NiB machine, no matter what spin you want to put on it...minor defect..doesn't affect gameplay....blah blah blah. It's not OK.

I agree with this and it's something I've done also. My take was "hey, I saw this problem, not worried about it for now but wanted to get it on record in case it worsens later."

#592 4 years ago

SpookyCharlie

I dig the way you do business, man.

CzvaqxgVEAULJuP.jpgCzvaqxgVEAULJuP.jpg
#598 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Maybe it's the Carpet Pissers messing up the playfields

Well dude, we just don't know!

1 week later
#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Think I'm out on JP2 no matter what Stern does or says. Too many quality issues on machines in the wild and it would be silly of me to think they are all going to be addressed. They couldn't even figure out a proper post for in front of the upper flipper?
Also, while I realize they are minor issues overall, the cognitive dissonance I would experience having to buy the proper plunger spring and non-shit coil stops when I am already spending $7,000+ is too much for me to handle.

You're missing out on a great game over a few extremely minor issues IMO. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

#1100 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

You may be right, but if the pf starts flaking off in chunks, too risky and price is too high. Brand new they’ve got serious issues, you really think years from now they’ll be ok?

I might get hit by a truck years from now. Today, I'm having a great time playing a great game!

#1113 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I like my machines to be defect free out of the box. Not to look like this.

Of course, we all do.

I'm just saying, some of the issues people are freaking about - coil stops, shooter springs - these are 60 second fixes easily done.

I think we could all do with assuming positive intent. The manufacturers of these games are not twisting their mustaches thinking up evil ways to piss off pinball buyers. The folks in this industry do it because they love pinball - it's obviously a very tricky business to be in (as evidenced by the high profile flameouts of others who have tried.)

#1122 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think we need to ban all trucks.

You should see the threads about pedestrians causing paint damage over on Truckside...hoo boy, it's a mess!

#1127 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Pedestrian forum is called Walk, Don't Walk

"Continued pedestrian damage issues with GMC and Ford"

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Nah, people can play it on location for $1, so they're not missing out on anything. Much cheaper than owning a $6-7k machine and can walk away from any clearcoat issues on the location machine without any heartache.

Well, that's a fair point. For me, on location I usually can't hear the callouts, the machine is dirty and neglected, and at least one or two things are broken.
I do try and find machines on location when I want to try them out.

#1140 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

I'm not freaking out. You are doing that thing you keep doing where you shift the blame from JJP/Stern to us. The point is these QC issues should not exist at all for the prices we are paying for a premium niche toy. And who knows what all we don't know about or how these tables will look in a year.
Your continued terrible logic and arguing in bad faith in these threads actually has me hoping your table is a huge piece of shit that completely falls apart. Enjoy!

I'm not shifting the blame. I'm having empathy. And my specific point was that lumping in issues that are cheap and easy to fix (the coil stops and shooter springs) are not a reason to blow off the whole thing. I know pinside loves their axes to grind, but I'm just saying maybe these manufacturers care too? And maybe they don't do things that upset the community on purpose?

#1187 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

I still regret hoping that zaph's table is shit, that was not nice of me.

Don’t give it another thought, friend. Passions are high all around on this issue. We’re all friends in pinball.

#1189 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

This issue is indeed making me miserable lol. Pinball was one of the few things in life that made me happy and I now feel gross and like a moron dumping money on these things. Of course, I was always a moron, it's just coming into clearer focus now

Believe me, seeking joy in pinball doesn’t make you a moron - I’m doing the same.

#1206 4 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Next Stern cost cutting will come from having no art on the PF whatsoever and having a Hard Top type overlay installed. Wait and see.

You know I recently played a hardtopped High Speed and I was really impressed. It did make me wonder why we don’t do them all this way and forget about paint on wood.

#1333 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Well many pinsiders think this playfield issue stuff is overblown. Zaphx.

So let me be clear - it sucks. It really sucks. But it doesn't JUST suck for buyers. It sucks for manufacturers too.
All I've pleaded for is a spirit of compromise and empathy.

#1335 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I will forgive you.

I haven't always done a good job communicating on this, and I've pissed people off which I regret.

I think pinball is fun. I think the people in the pinball community are awesome. The players, the creators, the manufacturers.

I look forward to a day that all this is behind us and we're all back to playing pinball, trading pinball, speculating what's next in pinball, and having fun together.

#1339 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

It is fun and should read "haven't always" but we don't want to judge.

Oops. More fail

1 week later
#1596 4 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

So I preordered a Jurassic Park Premium but wanted to get some time in on a Pro at a local bar. I’m now noticing it isn’t there anymore. I wonder if they had to pull it because of play field issues. Getting worried about this purchase to say the least. I sold my other games to free up $ and to make room for this game.

The only reason a bar will puill a pin is if the coin slot stops working!

#1739 4 years ago

In the vein of "making the best of a bad situation"...

Titan Pinball has released some silicone washers for the playfield problem. Thought I'd pass the link on in case people haven't seen them.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=154&search=washers

#1773 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

jwp72 I see nothing wrong in that pic.
Like was mentioned a few posts ago...what are you expecting Stern to do at this point? Some of this is getting a little out of control I feel.

Oh, you poor soul. Prepare for the wrath of the unreasonable mob!

#2066 4 years ago

This looks a lot different (and worse) than the pooling issue we've been obsessing about. This is just straight up damage. Have you reached out to your distributor/Stern about a resolution? I'm a big believer in giving people a chance to make things right.

#2096 4 years ago

So, a friend of mine recently restored a High Speed using a "hardtop" - reverse-printed adhesive plastic similar to a Radcal. There's an official hardtop thread with pics. I was really impressed with the end result, the playfield is smooth as glass and seems to be impervious to wear and even dimpling.

Personally, with playfield wear and clearcoat shenanigans...it seems to me new games ought to be made with hardtops too.

What say you, Pinsiders? Blasphemy? Or better tech?

#2099 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Sign me up! I don't know why Stern and JJP didn't start making playfields with this as a top layer years ago. Ghosting, dimpling, pooling/blistering, etc., would all be a thing of the past.

It seems to me you could also crank out playfields faster. No drying/curing time.

1 week later
#2303 4 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

So this begs the questions--what is Stern's thoughts on the matter and if they're keeping mum (which I believe they are) then WHY in blue hell are people STILL buying a Stern product ?!?

Some people like having fun? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2335 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I’m sure it’s great fun when the ball hits a post, as they do, and that post pulls up a chunk of artwork. Good times...

It is indeed great fun!

I've got a chip under a sling, hard to see, BFD

#2389 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What do you call 2 lawyers arguing in a pinball forum?

A waste of billable hours?

#2402 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did you just admit that lawyers generally lie about billable hours, to the detriment of their clients. Alrighty then!

It's not lying, it's just extremely accurate recording of every possible second. I used to work on a time tracking app for lawyers called Carpe Diem a long time ago.

#2405 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Then if it was every second, how could it be a second past 55 when he died?

http://thatsthejoke.com

1 week later
#2613 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps a similar warning about washing their t-shirts is in order?
[quoted image]

I think you should demand a completely new shirt AND demand they put it on your body for you.

1 month later
#3206 4 years ago

FWIW my Wonka CE playfield looks great. They did not remove art under the posts or use washers, either.

1 month later
#3888 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

50 plays. Like new.[quoted image]

ST seems to have more air balls than most. Rejected shots to the demogorgon go all over the place, and fairly hard.

2 weeks later
#4292 4 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Just cuz you bought a machine that cost little more money you think that puts you on some kind of damn pedestool?

"Pedestool?" LOL!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/fe2898ed-e060-41e5-8f58-c5f2ab553254

#4322 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

When is everyone going to agree the games coming out of production are safe to buy again

I got a Wonka CE in December and it’s fine. No pooling at all that I’ve found. I believe Jack when he says the problem is fixed.

#4412 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Not sure anyone ever actually got a replacement playfield.

Multiple photos just this week of people getting them.

#4537 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Clearly you missed out on the "is a tournament game HUO" thread. Tensions ran very high.

It's not very ambiguous to me.

HUO = Home. Use. ONLY.

Is a tournament or show home use? No.

#4541 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, on the zaphX Forum, it's not an issue up for debate, but here, clearly many people had different opinions.
I'm just curious if playfields dimple or pool or inserts ghost more in tournament use than in basement use.

What's the definition of the word "only?"

#4542 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll shake your fists angrily at the screen!
Relive and contribute to the "HUO Show Game" debate thread here!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-a-nib-huo-game-still-huo-if-you-take-it-to-a-show-to-the-freeplay-a#post-5356122

Hah! I think I'll pass, having done enough pinside arguing to last a lifetime.

1 week later
#4664 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is there a reflection or glare at all from a protector?
I've considered them, but also felt putting things in plastic, take away the experience of using something, versus not. Like shelving a game, movie, etc. Like pinball is meant to be played, not have a condom wrapped around it.
Dunno really....

I've played a High Speed with a hardtop (same thing, reverse printed polycarbonate.) It played great, and looked perfect.

I would love to see this tech on all playfields and forget about clearcoat shenanigans forever.

#4692 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

I really hope plastic in NOT the future of pinball. I have zero interest in shooting on plastic.

I've played a hardtopped High Speed and it was great. I would absolutely love for all my games to have this.

3 weeks later
#4960 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Panzer will never mention anything bad about JJP because he is their biggest fanboy. JJP games dimple too, their clearcoat also chips and pools around the posts just like Sterns games. JJP is no better at all, even with their outrageous prices and how they boast about being the highest quality games made. Its simply not true and Jack wont stand behind his product either.

Just a data point, I believe the pooling/chipping issue is corrected. My Wonka CE has zero pooling and is holding up fine. It does dimple but that is not unexpected to me on any pin.

#4969 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It has been somewhat fixed by taking away the artwork from under all the posts. I think the real problem is still there though.

That is simply not true.

IMG_1936 (resized).jpegIMG_1936 (resized).jpeg
#4974 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I've heard from some pretty good sources that the real problem has still not been corrected and you dont see them putting the artwork back under the posts so I tend to believe that the issue with the artwork pulling up has not been corrected.
Also I have seen the newer playfields with the super thin clearcoat on the newer games and I'm not a fan of that either. The playfields dont look as nice and I gotta wonder how they will hold up under heavy usage.

I realize you're probably referring to Stern but for the record, the new Wonka clear looks as thick as the original to me.

2 months later
#5254 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I believe your statement is bullshit because JJP hasn’t publicly addressed it. Have they?
Few of the companies in this industry handle their various issues like a well run, properly funded company.
And Stern has their own pile of wood to chop in the arena of customer service.
If JJP has made a public statement to all of their customers regarding the rectification of their playfield issues, I apologize.

Yeah they did. At one of the shows Jack was asked and he said it's resolved. He declined to elaborate.

And newer games, like the Wonka CEs, have consistently been reported as fine.

Time to find a new axe to grind.

#5273 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

interesting as mine has none....although I only have 120 game plays....its amazing to me the crap shoot buyers get with these play fields.

Well that’s why you have no dimples, you haven’t played it.

I put that many games on a machine every weekend.

#5275 3 years ago

The wife and I play daily for at least an hour. The hope is that with enough repetition I’ll eventually gain some skills

4 weeks later
#5377 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So this morning as I'm cleaning my machines, I figured I'd take a video of my Hobbit playfield with the glass off with the most likely angles o could do shoe any dumpling I possibly could. Out of the three machines, none of them have hardly any dimpling at all. Out of the three that would have them, it would be Hobbit (I play it the most and balls would go flying in this this most, if I had to guess).
This is why people bitch about dimples. There is like.... nothing here. Zero. And I play this thing a shit ton. Minimal dumpling isn't a miracle.
We've all one Bally William's here. We know what is possible.

There are tons of dimples in that video, though admittedly hard to capture with the camera jerking around.
There are so many dimples that they have become more uniform in appearance.

Here are few outliers I was able to pick up off the blurry video.

Dimples (resized).pngDimples (resized).png
#5378 3 years ago

A slightly better shot.

Point being, there is no such thing as a magic playfield that never dimples. Try not to let them bug you and enjoy the fun the machine provides - that is what it's for!

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 9.15.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-21 at 9.15.26 AM.png
#5444 3 years ago

Easy solution here. Buy two. One to play, one to look at.

#5451 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Or buy a playfield protector.

Gross

#5456 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Well, we can debate for years as this is a « normal » effect.
Then,
complaining will be useless because it will not change. So either dimpling is accepted or we buy a pp.

So, topic over?

2 weeks later
#5758 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

How is a new owner going to find JJP playfield issues if the title is for Stern only?

How is it right to keep punishing them when they've addressed the issues?

#5770 3 years ago

#5777 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Please enlighten us, oh wise one.

He just wants an axe to grind, like most of Pinside.

3 weeks later
#6080 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't think that anyone thinks that these games wont show wear after lots of plays. You would have to be pretty stupid to think a game will still look new after it's been played a lot, however in a home use only environment they should stay looking good for a hell of a long time unless you play pinball every single day for hours. The people that I know take pride in their collections and they keep their games in good shape.

Even if you do play pinball every single day for hours (we do) you can keep them looking nice with regular cleaning, waxing and ball changes.

2 weeks later
#6227 3 years ago

Can we talk about something related to the game? Like did any ship today??

#6229 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No.
Ok...what do we talk aboot now?

Oops, this was meant for the RM thread, sorry.

1 week later
#6354 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Wonder if it's time to explore alternative materials besides wood - yeah they ball may roll differently, but not sure I would care

I played on a High Speed hardtop and thought it was phenomenal. I wish all playfields were made this way.

#6388 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Dude relax it's only Pinside

Solid advice applicable to any thread!

3 weeks later
#6491 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Look through the last couple of pages of pic's in this thread. At the start of this thread things were horrific for some time now people have gone back to bitching about dimples and other dumb-ass shit. If you are worrying about playfield chipping I would take the chance on any company at this time.

Yes, this thread is increasingly misnamed as these issues are not "continued" from my experience.

#6496 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Perhaps other peoples' experiences matter as well?

Ok, I'll bite. Is anyone reporting "continued" JJP playfield issues? Seems to me that settled down around this time last year.

Is it fair to keep them in this thread title?

4 weeks later
#6806 3 years ago

EDIT: This was intended as a joke, not as a jab.

#6853 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Washers do seem to just push the pooling outward from the posts, making an even bigger problem area. Unfortunatley, the solution isn't this simple.

Well, sometimes it works though. Take POTC for example, almost infamous for playfield pooling.

The first pic is what it looked like when I started getting chipping and I installed gummy washers and wider star posts.
The second pic is from the current owner over a year later and many thousand plays later.

In at least this instance, the soft washers seem to have stopped the spread.

IMG_1003.jpegIMG_1003.jpegimagejpeg_0-4.jpgimagejpeg_0-4.jpg
#6855 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Two things: first, it did get worse as you can see more chipping around the top hole. Secondly, the angle you're using cannot properly see the issue in the clear. It is pathetic that we have to try to slow this process down at all. :/

It didn't create new pooling outside the posts, nor did the chips continue widening. That's my point.

I'm just saying, if you have an affected game it's worth trying the soft washer approach to hide and at least potentially slow it down.

#6881 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well yeah. They all start off perfect looking, just don't play it and you'll be good to go!

Buy one machine to play and one to admire, EZ

#6886 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Do you own any machines from the 90’s? I am starting to think you may not have the reference material to rate current pin quality. Is that what is going on with you?

I do not. I got into the hobby in 2017 with a Star Wars Pro and went from there.

I prefer the modern machines.

#6888 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Your responses make more sense now. Imagine for a moment you had actually seen the overall quality of pins go way down over the years. Imagine for a moment actually seeing the value you get from your pins go down over the years. Prices shoot way up at the same time quality takes a nosedive. Imagine for a moment what others with more experience might think of the the current situation with pins.

I get it!

#6937 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

new Spectrum formula

IT'S NOT CALLED SPECTRUM HE WAS DEMOING ON A SPECTRUM PLAYFIELD

#6948 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, my R&M playfield is clearly and proudly marked Bader, and so far the quality blows this lessor garbage we see posted here day after day away.
It's like the stars perfectly aligned, not just the perfect theme and execution, but also the quality on this one.

I will agree that the Bader playfield in my RM was the nicest I've seen to date.

#6952 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

P.P.S. Why are you shouting, it's my first offense

I originally pasted it with hand slap emojis between words, but apparently we can't use UTF8 character sets on Pinside.

1 week later
#7081 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I can live with a little pooling, but even minor chipping like that is totally unacceptable. If it looks like that now, who knows what it will look like in a year? Or five years?

Looks the same as POTC chipping, which is now into 2 years old. I don't know of any POTC that has spread beyond the wider posts or cliffys on scoops, do you?

#7087 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Jesus Christ, you're actually okay with this?

Not saying that, just saying "OMG what will it look like in a year" is something we can reasonably predict right now by looking at past history.
POTCs with 10k plays and 2 years of use are out in the wild.

I personally haven't seen one that has spread beyond the wider replacement posts or the cliffys yet. Has anyone? Open question.

1 week later
#7211 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Me too. I finally have disposable income to spend on these games. My first NIB purchase was Wonka. And it'll be my last. I'll never buy a NIB pin again, ever.
I have moved on to Golden Tee equipment now.

And yet you still hang out here to tell us about it every 10 minutes.

#7213 3 years ago

And yet you continue to diminish my experience every time I mention it. I really don't care what you think. JJP screwed the pooch with this issue, and I'm not letting them off the hook.

Why torture us about it though?

#7228 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’m cool I was just explaining what I thought zaphX was meaning.

Correct. We all know he is disgruntled. We all know he won't ever buy a pinball machine again. Fine and good.
Stop telling us.

1 month later
#7401 3 years ago

I rolled my eyes at this guy's first video and I roll them again at this one.

#7409 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You can roll your eyes all you want, but you seem to be voting with your wallet based on your JJP heavy collection.
Listen, I get why people don't want to hear the truth, but everything the guy is saying I have witnessed first hand.

Yeah but I've had 2 SPIKE games and believe the system is well designed. I would certainly not hesitate to buy another.

3 weeks later
#7486 3 years ago

The fact that you people are still purchasing NIB machines just boggles my mind.

We're having fun while you're angrily ranting on Pinside.

#7490 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Curious about your thoughts in post #7474's picture of the warped Zep playfield...??

Ok, but remember, you ASKED for my opinion. I don't want to hear any more bullshit attacks for sharing it.

My thoughts are the same as always with regard to defects.
Give the manufacturer (any manufacturer) a chance to make defects right.

You're going to get more response being reasonable with them offline than mounting pitchfork campaigns online.

And remember this stuff is supposed to be fun. If the angst outweighs the fun, why bother?

#7495 3 years ago

I wonder...playfields do flex a bit. Is the left side rail mounted slightly higher than the left or something? Maybe it's a fixable issue?

#7496 3 years ago

And for the record I don't have a dog in this hunt nor do I want to have one.

I'm hopeful all parties are able to work things out to mutual satisfaction.

#7506 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I have the same issue with a different Stern game. The game is almost unplayable.

That really sucks and I'm sorry that happened.

#7539 3 years ago

I'm not buying any more NIB machines, and I'll actively campaign against anyone else who is. I still am to this day.

I'll think of you every time I unbox one, which will be today!

IMG_2706.jpegIMG_2706.jpeg
#7543 3 years ago

That's fine. You do you. I will not buy any more NIB games. I urge others not to either.
These problems will not go away as long as the sheeple continue to remain bent over the barrel and take their punishment.

What would it take for you to give up this crusade?

#7545 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

He's actually not wrong....although I would say Stern is a far bigger problem than JJP. It appears JJP has been very proactive in solving these issues. Stern not so much.

I have considered offering to do the Wonka PF swap for him to help him feel at peace with his game (and stop torturing us about it.)

I'm still considering it. But he's so abrasive and rude that it discourages me from doing charity for him.

#7550 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why are you, the way you are? Its very unappealing fyi.

I love pinball I guess?

IMG_2712.jpegIMG_2712.jpeg
#7552 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

zaphX hasn't been in pinball long enough to remember the days before chipping playfields. This is all he knows. Fortunately, he's quickly become an expert on all things pinball and takes the time every day to educate and help less enlightened pinsiders.

Hey I'm not trying to convince you playfield people not to feel the way you do.
Just asking for the same reciprocation.

#7556 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Ooook, but why? Why so much energy directed towards an issue you say you don't care about? You post in this thread more than anyone, and swoop in immediately on other threads where playfield problems are brought up too. Just to make people feel better? If that was really your goal, I think you are pissing off more people by trivializing their plight than you are helping them. Maybe it's just me.

It's my own fault. I shouldn't react when people crusade against NIB buyers, call them "sheeple" etc.

I should just enjoy my game and STFU.

#7575 3 years ago

I think the GNR CE playfield is pretty nice!

IMG_2735.jpegIMG_2735.jpeg
#7589 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You seem to want attention at the weirdest times. :/

Just adding a datapoint that current release JJP playfields look good to my eye.

If we're going to point out the flaws, it's only fair to point out when they've corrected things right?

1 week later
#7690 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Mirco has not fixed their issues for JJP

I don't think that is necessarily fair or accurate. Not trying to downplay your experience, but the GNR CE playfields have been really, really nice. We're up to around 700 plays and it really looks great.

I do think something has changed for the better.

Bring on the downvotes.

#7696 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

how everything is fine because it hasn't happened to you.

It did happen to me though, on POTC LE, POTC CE and Wonka SE. I used the playfield iron technique, mylar and washers to mitigate.

I'm not happy that it happened, but it didn't ruin the machines for me.

I am very glad things seem to be trending up and I hope everyone gets great playfields going forward.
I think that is a non-controversial common ground we share.

#7700 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Anything i do will make it worse, i barely touched it with my finger and more art chipped away, i was only touching it because my slingshot rubbers were breaking and you have to remove stuff to change them. I thought about putting large metal fender washers to cover and protect but im worried that it will chip past the washers and become even worse so-for now I'm just playing it And hoping it gets warranted

How about the mylar circles PinMonk sells, do you think those would help?

#7735 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So great news update: Stern is replacing my playfield with a new unpopulated one. I consider myself fortunate as I'll take a playfield over none at all. Yeah, populated is nice, but I can do it myself with a little work. Plus, they're sending me a shaker for it for the hassle. So I'm thrilled.

That is great news Jorant! I am happy this puts you at peace.

#7736 3 years ago

So they think a playfield swap costs $150. Got it.

Plus the playfield itself, which has to be 500-1000.
Remember that thing has holes cut, inserts hammered in, art + clear...lotta labor goes into a playfield IMO.

1 week later
#7774 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Played a Led Zeppelin pro on route and it had dimples

Correct, it is a pinball machine

#7801 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Wow. I have no idea how this got out of hand. Guys, for the love of hell. I got this game second hand and they're giving me a free playfield.

That’s really pretty generous IMO. They didn’t technically HAVE to do anything, and they still took care of you. Solid.

#7812 3 years ago

I could have said "firm" but this was a much more passive-agressive way to get my point across.

You, passive aggressive? Now I've seen everything!

#7818 3 years ago

I will never buy a NIB pin again, and I will tell anyone not to either.

We know.

#7839 3 years ago

Ok, so if holding purchases to force improvements is the plan...what will it take for you and the others to decide it's ok to buy again?

Case in point, all indications are the new playfields on GNR CEs are beautiful. I haven't heard a single complaint.
And yet people still angrily beat the drum in here.

#7901 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I am almost done replacing my playfield. Look how god damn warped this thing is! Like wow! Talk about unsavable side drains!
[quoted image]

Wow, you were not kidding about the warp.

I am keenly interested in your swap process! Have you documented it at all?

#7903 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Took many pics. But just rocked it out. Playfield is compete, just gotta put it in. This warped turd is going straight into the trash.

No way, I'd put it on the wall like a trophy of your victory.

How many hours was the swap, and was anything particularly difficult or problematic?
Did you use a rotisserie or not?

I want to know everything!

#7910 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well.... I got the playfield Friday. Came home from work at 7 and worked all night. I work the weekends (I manage a furniture store), so I worked on it Saturday night and Sunday night. Took me probably 18 hours total (keep in mind a removed a large amount if parts before even getting the replacement.... that took about 6 or 7 hours). Didn't use a rotisserie. Just learned it against a post on my basement as I put part after part on. Not much more to say!

That’s awesome. People act like the swap is this impossibility that only a handful of super talented people in the world can do. At the end of the day it’s screwing things into wood!

Well done. Looking forward to the final pics.

#7915 3 years ago

If it's not so fucking hard then why aren't JJP and Stern replacing our fields for us?

If you spent as much time doing the swap as you do bitching on Pinside you'd have a perfect Wonka 10 times over.

#7920 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

A discount on the next machine or cash payout?

Lol, no. I don't have a dog in this hunt.

I guess I just see this as a fixable problem with a few options:

- Sell the machine and move on
- Do the swap

I don't see constantly reminding everyone how wronged he was helps anyone, including himself.

The same can be said for my own commentary on the issue of course, so whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#7925 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

This is the same guy that was on a crusade to keep people from installing Cliffy protectors in POTC for some reason. All the while boasting about how trouble free his playfield was, even when there was blatant pooling that could be seen in photos.

I installed Cliffys. Twice. I had pooling and went through various rounds of posts/washers to hide it. Twice.
I never said it was trouble free, I said it was liveable with the remediations.

The fact that POTC LE sells for 20k would seem to argue most people agree.

#7933 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Man, I don't even know how I'd go about shipping this.

Roll it into a shipping tube

#7958 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well I'll shall offer the same thing. If you're near me and want help with anything, I'll be happy to do so. Problem is, pretty much everyone near me in this hobby can and has done playfield swaps themselves.

Got pics of the completed swap? I'm really interested in seeing the results of your handiwork!

#7961 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Sure. I'm at work but I can take a pic. Basically looks like a new game, so you may not be too impressed with the actual pic. Plays actually correctly now, which is refreshing.
Edit. In the meanwhile, here's a pic of me stripping the old one down proving I did SOMETHING lol. [quoted image]

I guess it's one of those "you had to be there" things. Just impressed with your accomplishment and sharing in your victory of a problem well solved!

2 months later
#8163 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Agreed.
The number of buyers who pay via bank transfer to save 3% or so is baffling.

$375 on a $12,500 CE ain't nothin'...hell that's shipping. Just because we buy overpriced nonessential toys doesn't mean we throw our money away! Sorta.

#8169 2 years ago

Data point...people said POTC was going to look like those Chevy's, and they don't. The chipping remained at the posts and hidden under washers, and the games are worth more than ever.

#8175 2 years ago

Why do you continue to diminish the issue? Are you being paid to do this? I can't think of one reasonable person who would support the assertion that peeling/pooling/chipping artwork is acceptable on a brand-new pinball machine, not one. Even the manufacturers have admitted the fault (by sending replacement fields and adding shit like washers).
This is a serious problem, and it requires serious attention. Stop trying to make light of the issue; some of us are pretty pissed off that our $10,000 got us defective merchandise.
/rant

I do it specifically to piss you off.

#8176 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Those games are worth more then ever in part because they are very rare. If JJP reruns Pirates any model with pooling / chipping will tank in value.

Why would they re-run it? Guns blows it away and I expect they have a great pipeline of titles to come.

#8177 2 years ago

This is a serious problem, and it requires serious attention. Stop trying to make light of the issue; some of us are pretty pissed off that our $10,000 got us defective merchandise.
/rant

Want to know what I think? You're addicted to the rage. You love having this axe to grind.

Prices are up right now and you could sell your game+PF for every dime you've put into it.
You've had the super-generous Yelobird offer to do the swap for you.

And yet here you are, bitching and bitching and bitching and bitching.

You don't want a solution.

#8179 2 years ago

Please just stop diminishing people's damage and concerns and actually show a little compassion and empathy.

I do have empathy. I feel quite badly that you're having such an unhappy time with your game.
What I don't get is why you hang in there. It seems to me your unhappiness is far exceeding any joy you're getting from it.

I never see any gameplay posts, scores, strategy questions...just playfield complaints coupled with disdain for people who are buying new games and enjoying them.

#8204 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

my worry was what happens if the chipping starts happening in the middle of the playfield

I believe this worry is unfounded. POTC and Wonkas were well known for chipping but I’ve never seen it reported anywhere but posts. Cover those up and you’re good.

#8216 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

My chipping spread past the factory sent black rubber washers, so your logic is good till it goes past, then what?

Argh, I haven't seen that. I am sorry that happened to you.

#8222 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It's for this reason I said, "Mermaid edition Fathom? Sure, why not."
I'm not worried about the playfield I'm worried about the amount I spent lol.

That's got their magic dimple-proof acrylic playfield right? Eager to hear what you think of that!

1 week later
#8272 2 years ago

This statement, right here, is why we will never see anything get better with playfields.

No matter how much you huff and puff people are going to buy pins.

#8284 2 years ago

I don't even know what to say.
[quoted image]

That's ok, it would just be more of the same ranting that nobody should buy pinball.

#8286 2 years ago

Followed by more of your dismissive attitude towards anyone's problems. Try being less predictable. I'm not changing.

I think you'd be a lot happier if you stopped dedicating so much negative energy towards this issue.
It doesn't affect you any more because you're out of buying pins, right?

#8298 2 years ago
Quoted from Stef95:

I have the impression that this thread of discussion is only present to denigrate JJP and to encourage people not to buy new pinball machines anymore. It's disappointing. The same ones who denigrated POTC for trivial details, who demanded a new plate not to even install it or sell it afterwards. This may be why JJP is no longer sending a spare tray.

Correct. A spare playfield is a $1000 part, and the people who got them were for the most part ungrateful about it. "Now what???" "I have NOT been made whole" etc. I wouldn't send replacement either after that.

#8300 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So instead JJP should just keep shipping games with known defective playfields and sending out washer band aid "fix" kits? That's not a resolution, they need to finally correct this issue. Pirates sell for well over MSRP even with playfield issues as it's very rare. The same won't be said for GNR which is being made in much larger quantities.
Once there's a few thousand GNR's out there how will the resale value of games with chipping / pooling be effected? I would expect the hit will be at least $1k, hence why JJP should at least be sending new unpopulated playfields out to effective customers.

Well the solution is obvious...buy one to play and one to look at and keep pristine.

#8302 2 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

The problem is that BOTH could have shit playfields.

I don't think anyone has reported problems unplayed OOTB, have they? Only after getting plays/ball hits/vibration.

#8304 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well the solution is obvious...buy one to play and one to look at and keep pristine.

I'm kidding a bit on buying two, but more seriously what's wrong with buying a spare playfield as peace of mind, then play the crap out of it?
So long as you (or a future buyer) can always return to pristine state, doesn't that let you guys relax and enjoy? It would me.

#8312 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The weird thing about all these shit playfields is where are the shit playfield discounts? I don't think I've ever seen a game with a "bad playfield" price, or I'd be buying left and right.
Are the victims simply not selling - going to their graves with their bad playfields rather than eating some money to get out? What gives?

I sold a Wonka SE during the peak of clearcoatgate hysteria. It did have damage (which I ironed/mylared/topped w/ Titan washers.) I got $6500 for it which wasn't terrible seeing as we put 5000 plays on it, but the same game would probably sell for 8k in today's market.

#8319 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Mine had issues OOTB. Zero plays.

Argh I am sorry.

#8329 2 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Dude, for the life of me I can’t figure out why you’re willing to put up with this crap. This is clearly a solvable issue. Spooky did it. Why can’t the billionaire JJP investors do it? They can, but apologists like you make it unnecessary for them.

Since you asked, it's because I love what they do with the games. I don't like the playfield issues either but the gameplay is the big thing to me.

The other thing to consider is we are VERY heavy players. We're at over 8000 on Wonka and over 3200 on Guns.

I figure I have three things I can do.

1. Stop buying/playing the games and sell them off. Not an option as we (both my wife and I) enjoy them too much.
2. Complain
3. Work around wear as best we can and don't let it detract from our enjoyment.

Believe me I would like this issue to go away forever. We all would. I was kind of disappointed to hear George Gomez pooping on the Haggis acrylic solution, as I am pretty interested in it. I also think hardtops are cool, I played a restored High Speed with one and was very impressed.

#8330 2 years ago

Also, one more thing...

Assume positive intent. Remember these playfields went out with the "Quality test" post hole under the apron, so they clearly are trying along with Mirco to improve playfield quality.

I am certain JJP is not over there twisting their mustaches trying to find ways to intentionally screw pinball buyers.

Happy customers buy more products.

#8415 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

I am a reasonable person

<Arrested Development Narrator> "He wasn't."

#8418 2 years ago

Derek we get it. Sometimes I think you believe you work for JJP. No need to come on here honestly! You talk in the owners thread how people should go to this thread and talk about playfield issues because you don’t want to see it anymore and here you are again. We know your opinion on the issue and don’t need to hear about it anymore. Yes I’m reasonable as I have told JJP the issue and they don’t want to resolve it, or even respond at this point. This is a warning, giving it time, and then last resort. This is a playfield issue thread. Let’s talk about that instead of how much you and your wife like playing your patched up CE, did you collect the carbon fiber patch on the game? I heard it gives you brownie points booster for the next song.

Hey Spartacus, you be you.

#8421 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

He's right. You seem like a nice guy, but the constant fellating of jjp is very bizarre. The company has really turned into a bunch of bastards, and backing them with such ferocity does raise a few eyebrows. I'm all for brand loyalty, but you make some pretty hurtful and, dare I say, ignorant comments when people are being screwed over by jjp.

I love their games and want them to stick around to make more, simple as that.

"Being screwed over by JJP" implies that this happened due to malice and intent, which I strongly disagree with.
It's as unfortunate for them as it is for us. Is it wrong for me to have empathy?

That being said, it's time for me to bug out of the playfield thread again and let you guys do your thing. The main instigator has moved his grievances from the owner's thread as I requested, so it's only fair for me to let you guys have your space in peace.

I will say though, I think a class action lawsuit helps no one but the lawyers and hurts us all. That is not the way.

#8429 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

[quoted image]

That’s awesome Palmer . Well played.

Fwiw I don’t think it’s fine. I’m a realist and I’m dealing with it as best I can for now with plans to do a playfield swap at some point. Short term playing as usual, long term planning for some kind of repair waiting to see what that might be.

I guess the main difference of opinion here is that I don’t think JJP needs to be “forced” to find a solution; I believe they are as interested as we are in solving the problem.

Maybe I’m being naive. I just believe in assuming positive intent.

#8433 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I hear ya. Just trying to lighten things up.

DerekWasher.jpgDerekWasher.jpg
#8482 2 years ago

zaphX hey Derek, I saw the last picture you posted and to me it kind of looks like the guitar neck is starting to crack and chip, is this the case or am I seeing things? Let me know. Also you opinion and solutions are valid and welcomed. We are all here to share ideas and give each other’s tips and share what works. If your guitar is starting to chip, any resolution?

Looks like a small one might be starting. I'll touch it up with a sharpie or black model if it gets bad. Painter's tape to get a straight edge, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.