Topic Stats

• 4,149 posts - Hot topic!
  • 462 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 129 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 443 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1_T8tGc8RTgUbbr8VB2ClNag (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200121_235955~01 (resized).jpg
dd441f3f7ee5ff9587bf4a42d82dc9ca58987e81 (resized).jpg
always_vid (resized).png
giphy.gif
20200115_211217 (resized).jpg
383044c3a468199f787e6b0bccc3c04066231836 (resized).jpg
0D776AF8-3029-4736-938E-3671FD4402FE (resized).jpeg
intro-1539346187 (resized).jpg
bars (resized).png
505E7BA4-938B-4755-BBCB-33A22B609EDF (resized).jpeg
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Spooky-RZ (resized).jpg
playfield_steak (resized).jpg
487f26e0229bdf56df693475d9339da530a7f010 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#125 5 months ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I think pinball manufacturers will have to start using adhesive PETG sheets with the artwork applied to the back, similar to the hardtops. With ghosting, chipping and pooling of clearcoats, stricter environmental regulations and the extra scrutiny the playfields are getting when bought for the home, the need to replace playfields is going to get more and more common. At some point it just won't be worth it anymore.

I’ve been thinking the same thing, the hardtop seems like a great solution to me.

#233 5 months ago

There is no way I’m letting this playfield thing stop my pinball fun. I’m unboxing a JP2 tomorrow.

#334 4 months ago
Quoted from NPO:

Don't cancel. Put emotion ahead of logic. Itll be fine . Emotionally driven decisions always work out better.

Best of luck I've been trying to calm the hysteria over this issue for months in the JJP POTC chipping thread.

It's really not worth flipping out over IMO. Yeah it sucks, yeah it needs to stop, yeah we want some kind of reasonable fix. But at the end of the day it really is a minor blemish that doesn't affect gameplay enjoyment.

#338 4 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I Agree....at the same time people want their games to look great and last. I can see why people are upset as what happens if it gets worse in the future.
Disclaimer...I have a POTC LE ....Love it... NO chipping, but pooling around posts...Knock on Wood!

Yeah, my chipping on POTC LE (I've seen it on 3/3 machines) was hideable by using star posts on the slingshots. If there are more places, I can't see them and I'm not going to go looking for them.

If I couldn't hide the chipping spots, I would be upset too for sure.

#352 4 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

"Hey your playfield is chipping to pieces and looks like phuking shit dude". "Yeah i know, not a big deal, its just a minor blemish on a 10K game.......doesnt bother me at all".
Dude are you f*cking serious? You are either rich beyond belief or really really dumb!

Neither is the case. Life is short, I choose not to let this issue ruin my fun.

#353 4 months ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

To me the playfield issues are only flaws if you focus on it. Believe me. It can make you miserable. I choose to not be miserable about it and play and enjoy my games. I bought these to enjoy myself. Not to show off or to sit there looking pristine. Shit happens. Its how we deal with it. I hope everyone finds a solution to this and works together. Wishing financial ruin to the manufactures does nothing.

Exactly how I feel. Well stated.

#355 4 months ago
Quoted from tpir:

If your table was chipped to the point that it had large uneven areas that affected gameplay, would you change your mind?

Absolutely I would. So far the issues I've had are small ones I can hide. I did the POTC posts/gummy washers months ago and haven't seen any additional spread since then, thankfully.

I saw a Ghostbusters once that looked like a belt sander was taken to the playfield. If mine was doing that I'd absolutely be on the horn with the distributor about it and I would want some kind of resolution.

Is anyone claiming major peeling yet though? So far all I've seen are small chips around posts.

#359 4 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why do i do it? I do it because i love pinball and all of the lights and sounds etc and one of the things that i love about pinball is the gorgeous colors and artwork. Pinball machines in my eyes are beautiful and when you combine everything that i just said, i want to keep them looking that way.

Full agreement, and I work hard to get mine and to keep them nice also.

#361 4 months ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Just imagine picking up your brand new motorbike, and allready some minor rust on the edge of the fuel filler hole . Or Lets say the edge if your car door. Everyone knows where it will lead to
“Ah dont worry, its only on the edge, nothing to worry about its not like the whole tank is peeling” was said by the sales guys. We we’re like “ what?”
Six months later and over 2500 sold bikes were recalled in for a new tank worldwide . Faulty adhesion led to you guessed it.. big peeling off..I replaced about a 50 with my fellow mechanics at the store
So, If the cat is in the bag, dont act like it isnt because it always comes out .

You do make a good point. Maybe I am in denial over here because I just want to enjoy my games (as we all do!)

#441 4 months ago

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 5.53.44 PM.png

EDIT: Just having some fun here folks

#464 4 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

It's sort of ironic that you can pay JJP extra for shiny RadCals eye candy

Yeah but those things are awesome

IMG_0784.jpeg
#577 4 months ago
Quoted from LamF:

If you have a playfield issue, please report to your distributor or Stern or JJP, even if you think you're willing to live with it. Do it as a service to the community at large, ffs! A playfield that is chipping or rippling and thus prone to chipping later is not acceptable on a NiB machine, no matter what spin you want to put on it...minor defect..doesn't affect gameplay....blah blah blah. It's not OK.

I agree with this and it's something I've done also. My take was "hey, I saw this problem, not worried about it for now but wanted to get it on record in case it worsens later."

#592 4 months ago

spookycharlie

I dig the way you do business, man.

CzvaqxgVEAULJuP.jpg
#598 4 months ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Maybe it's the Carpet Pissers messing up the playfields

Well dude, we just don't know!

1 week later
#1097 4 months ago
Quoted from tpir:

Think I'm out on JP2 no matter what Stern does or says. Too many quality issues on machines in the wild and it would be silly of me to think they are all going to be addressed. They couldn't even figure out a proper post for in front of the upper flipper?
Also, while I realize they are minor issues overall, the cognitive dissonance I would experience having to buy the proper plunger spring and non-shit coil stops when I am already spending $7,000+ is too much for me to handle.

You're missing out on a great game over a few extremely minor issues IMO. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

#1100 4 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

You may be right, but if the pf starts flaking off in chunks, too risky and price is too high. Brand new they’ve got serious issues, you really think years from now they’ll be ok?

I might get hit by a truck years from now. Today, I'm having a great time playing a great game!

#1113 4 months ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I like my machines to be defect free out of the box. Not to look like this.

Of course, we all do.

I'm just saying, some of the issues people are freaking about - coil stops, shooter springs - these are 60 second fixes easily done.

I think we could all do with assuming positive intent. The manufacturers of these games are not twisting their mustaches thinking up evil ways to piss off pinball buyers. The folks in this industry do it because they love pinball - it's obviously a very tricky business to be in (as evidenced by the high profile flameouts of others who have tried.)

#1122 4 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think we need to ban all trucks.

You should see the threads about pedestrians causing paint damage over on Truckside...hoo boy, it's a mess!

#1127 4 months ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Pedestrian forum is called Walk, Don't Walk

"Continued pedestrian damage issues with GMC and Ford"

#1137 4 months ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Nah, people can play it on location for $1, so they're not missing out on anything. Much cheaper than owning a $6-7k machine and can walk away from any clearcoat issues on the location machine without any heartache.

Well, that's a fair point. For me, on location I usually can't hear the callouts, the machine is dirty and neglected, and at least one or two things are broken.
I do try and find machines on location when I want to try them out.

#1140 4 months ago
Quoted from tpir:

I'm not freaking out. You are doing that thing you keep doing where you shift the blame from JJP/Stern to us. The point is these QC issues should not exist at all for the prices we are paying for a premium niche toy. And who knows what all we don't know about or how these tables will look in a year.
Your continued terrible logic and arguing in bad faith in these threads actually has me hoping your table is a huge piece of shit that completely falls apart. Enjoy!

I'm not shifting the blame. I'm having empathy. And my specific point was that lumping in issues that are cheap and easy to fix (the coil stops and shooter springs) are not a reason to blow off the whole thing. I know pinside loves their axes to grind, but I'm just saying maybe these manufacturers care too? And maybe they don't do things that upset the community on purpose?

#1187 4 months ago
Quoted from tpir:

I still regret hoping that zaph's table is shit, that was not nice of me.

Don’t give it another thought, friend. Passions are high all around on this issue. We’re all friends in pinball.

#1189 4 months ago
Quoted from tpir:

This issue is indeed making me miserable lol. Pinball was one of the few things in life that made me happy and I now feel gross and like a moron dumping money on these things. Of course, I was always a moron, it's just coming into clearer focus now

Believe me, seeking joy in pinball doesn’t make you a moron - I’m doing the same.

#1206 4 months ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Next Stern cost cutting will come from having no art on the PF whatsoever and having a Hard Top type overlay installed. Wait and see.

You know I recently played a hardtopped High Speed and I was really impressed. It did make me wonder why we don’t do them all this way and forget about paint on wood.

#1333 4 months ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Well many pinsiders think this playfield issue stuff is overblown. Zaphx.

So let me be clear - it sucks. It really sucks. But it doesn't JUST suck for buyers. It sucks for manufacturers too.
All I've pleaded for is a spirit of compromise and empathy.

#1335 4 months ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I will forgive you.

I haven't always done a good job communicating on this, and I've pissed people off which I regret.

I think pinball is fun. I think the people in the pinball community are awesome. The players, the creators, the manufacturers.

I look forward to a day that all this is behind us and we're all back to playing pinball, trading pinball, speculating what's next in pinball, and having fun together.

#1339 4 months ago
Quoted from jellikit:

It is fun and should read "haven't always" but we don't want to judge.

Oops. More fail

1 week later
#1596 4 months ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

So I preordered a Jurassic Park Premium but wanted to get some time in on a Pro at a local bar. I’m now noticing it isn’t there anymore. I wonder if they had to pull it because of play field issues. Getting worried about this purchase to say the least. I sold my other games to free up $ and to make room for this game.

The only reason a bar will puill a pin is if the coin slot stops working!

#1739 4 months ago

In the vein of "making the best of a bad situation"...

Titan Pinball has released some silicone washers for the playfield problem. Thought I'd pass the link on in case people haven't seen them.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=154&search=washers

#1773 4 months ago
Quoted from pipes:

jwp72 I see nothing wrong in that pic.
Like was mentioned a few posts ago...what are you expecting Stern to do at this point? Some of this is getting a little out of control I feel.

Oh, you poor soul. Prepare for the wrath of the unreasonable mob!

#2066 3 months ago

This looks a lot different (and worse) than the pooling issue we've been obsessing about. This is just straight up damage. Have you reached out to your distributor/Stern about a resolution? I'm a big believer in giving people a chance to make things right.

#2096 3 months ago

So, a friend of mine recently restored a High Speed using a "hardtop" - reverse-printed adhesive plastic similar to a Radcal. There's an official hardtop thread with pics. I was really impressed with the end result, the playfield is smooth as glass and seems to be impervious to wear and even dimpling.

Personally, with playfield wear and clearcoat shenanigans...it seems to me new games ought to be made with hardtops too.

What say you, Pinsiders? Blasphemy? Or better tech?

#2099 3 months ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Sign me up! I don't know why Stern and JJP didn't start making playfields with this as a top layer years ago. Ghosting, dimpling, pooling/blistering, etc., would all be a thing of the past.

It seems to me you could also crank out playfields faster. No drying/curing time.

1 week later
#2303 3 months ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

So this begs the questions--what is Stern's thoughts on the matter and if they're keeping mum (which I believe they are) then WHY in blue hell are people STILL buying a Stern product ?!?

Some people like having fun? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2335 3 months ago
Quoted from underlord:

I’m sure it’s great fun when the ball hits a post, as they do, and that post pulls up a chunk of artwork. Good times...

It is indeed great fun!

I've got a chip under a sling, hard to see, BFD

#2389 3 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What do you call 2 lawyers arguing in a pinball forum?

A waste of billable hours?

#2402 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did you just admit that lawyers generally lie about billable hours, to the detriment of their clients. Alrighty then!

It's not lying, it's just extremely accurate recording of every possible second. I used to work on a time tracking app for lawyers called Carpe Diem a long time ago.

#2405 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Then if it was every second, how could it be a second past 55 when he died?

http://thatsthejoke.com

1 week later
#2613 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps a similar warning about washing their t-shirts is in order?
[quoted image]

I think you should demand a completely new shirt AND demand they put it on your body for you.

1 month later
#3206 47 days ago

FWIW my Wonka CE playfield looks great. They did not remove art under the posts or use washers, either.

1 month later
#3888 13 days ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

50 plays. Like new.[quoted image]

ST seems to have more air balls than most. Rejected shots to the demogorgon go all over the place, and fairly hard.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Contact
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside