Topic Stats

• 3,119 posts
  • 396 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by Mike_J
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 337 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A9B9EFA4-D492-4687-BC00-4F9941A21CC6 (resized).png
IMG_0362 (resized).jpeg
20191104_094400 (resized).jpg
IM1 (resized).jpg
download (1) (resized).jpg
IMAG4130 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191105-090819 (resized).jpg
7251FC68-3BA0-498E-A517-44138D553047 (resized).png
sling post (resized).JPG
24E28045-2F31-4BA8-B740-F4ABADC2E253 (resized).jpeg
C46C1715-247E-4118-8680-090B31335FC8 (resized).jpeg
9D4E9D32-614F-454E-AFFA-C3E888BC5E92 (resized).jpeg
20191029_152931 (resized).jpg
20191029_152950 (resized).jpg
20191029_153008 (resized).jpg
20191029_152939 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#328 78 days ago

I'm not normally a very reactionary person, but I'm thiiis close to canceling my JP2 premium. Which is a bummer on multiple levels. Maiden is my favorite game ever, so I've been counting the days to KME's second effort. My kid is having a dinosaur-themed birthday party in late October, which the game should arrive in time for. And I have friends who work at Stern, who I don't enjoy calling out publicly. But this head-in-sand response from the company gives me little comfort or confidence in the product:

"No widespread issues here at Stern, can’t speak for other manufacturers though. If anyone does have any issues with their games though they should definitely be reaching out to their dealer or distributor." Source: https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-august-26th-2019/

I don't care what their definition of "widespread" is; I've seen enough that I don't want to gamble on NIB until this issue is acknowledged and/or corrected.

#345 78 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

Put emotion ahead of logic. Emotionally driven decisions always work out better.

NSIS.gif

#351 78 days ago

edit: nevermind

#372 78 days ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I’ve seen so many JP2 pooling pics and know both local ones have it that now I’m wondering if there is any without. Are there confirmed good ones at this point?

I played a good one at someone's home last week. It had the factory installed washers under star posts. I couldn't find any pooling/bunching/blistering there, or around any post. Looked great.

#407 77 days ago

I wonder if they wish they could go back in time and stay in business with Churchill.

#508 76 days ago
Quoted from Lounge:

The more I see the pictures of these issues the more I’m thinking it’s a hardware issue.

Those posts have been used for years. Decades in the case of star posts, where it's the worst.

#512 76 days ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I’m talking about the bolts that hold the posts to the playfield. And what if the wood is softer? What if the flippers are more powerful? What if they weren’t tightened down properly?

Dude it's the clearcoat.

#518 76 days ago

Remember a couple years ago when Stern's clear was so hard & brittle that it was cracking in shooter lanes and flaking off the edge of outholes? This is the pendulum swung too far in the other direction. Time for some goldilocks clear.

#828 70 days ago

Detective Flynn is on the case!

#888 69 days ago

Levi should know better than to open the door for hackneyed middle-aged political jokes. I'm one Buttigieg pun away from my eyes rolling a complete 360°.

#1174 64 days ago

Now clearcoat is even separating from the plastics, ridiculous.
KME.jpg

#1229 63 days ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

A couple more BKSORLE

Turn the lights on.

#1359 60 days ago

Still hanging onto my JP2 premium order, but I'm out in a heartbeat if the LEs aren't fixed.

#1370 60 days ago

It's only an issue when the money stops rolling in.

#1381 60 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don't Stern is just going to junk all the pfs.... You'll see them slowly bring in the fixed pfs mixed in with older flawed pfs so I don't premiums will all be good and no question they aren't for LE hence the delay

My initial guess a couple weeks ago was that if Stern already made "bad" LE playfields, they could set them aside for premiums, and make a new run of "good" LE playfields. Take care of the highest-dollar customers. I have zero evidence of course, but there was a delay before building LEs.

#1636 54 days ago

Stern is never, ever going to publicly admit they have a major issue, nor make a peep when they correct it.

Back in 1997, Burger King had an issue with tainted meat. After the recall, they ran full-page newspaper ads about how the meat was now safe. That campaign crashed & burned. You know what worked? "Try the fries!" Don't remind the public you messed up.

EHOH = fries

#1638 54 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

When Chipotle had issues with theirs, they sent out coupons for a free burrito.

"Sorry about that JP2 clear. Let us earn back your business; free EHOH for everyone!"

All is forgiven.

#1847 49 days ago

Wow, that sounds exactly like what is happening in pinball. Even if not, it's an interesting post regardless. Thanks for sharing.

#1921 48 days ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

They would be smart to stop production altogether

AKA suicide in the manufacturing business

#1925 48 days ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

So continuing to churn out defective product is the better option?

Yes, it is survivable. In manufacturing, the line is everything. Money is bleeding out of every pore while the line is stopped. If you churn out subpar product, you MIGHT go out of business. If the line stops for very long, you WILL go out of business.

#1950 48 days ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

I work in quality in a manufacturing plant. The ability to stop the line to contain a defect and fix it is not suicide, it's incredibly important.

Stop it for a day or two? Sure. Stop it indefinitely while you investigate an issue that may take weeks or months to fully resolve? Maybe Toyota can afford that. I doubt a pinball manufacturer can. Just gotta slap a band-aid (washer) on it and keep moving, correct things as you go, eventually better parts make their way into the pipeline.

#1957 48 days ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

because there are already pictures of stuff made last week with the same issues.

Where? (I'm not doubting you, just really curious to see.)

#1963 48 days ago
Quoted from wlf_:

I'd basically bet my life on that having been made a "while" ago. Game was announced years back, that's gonna be an early prototype in the video. Wouldn't surprise me if it definitely was made before Jurassic Parks started going out.

One thousand percent this.

#1965 48 days ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

JP prem/LE which just started going out the door and have the same issues.
Pics out there of it.

Where? So far I've only heard good things about LE playfields. Premiums aren't shipping yet. But if there are still issues, I want to see them before my premium ships so I can cancel, if need be.

#2061 47 days ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Cancel your order yet?

Only reason I haven’t is that my kid is having a dinosaur-themed birthday party in late October. But I’m not sure I can swallow a defective $7k decoration.

#2074 47 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

With respect, your kid can have a very fun birthday party without you getting a $7K kick in the junk.

Get your logic ahead of your emotions. If you order one with the evidence we are starting to see with the "extremely low number of defective claims here at bullfuckingshit...I mean.... Stern headquarters," you have no one to blame but yourself.

When you're right, you're right.

#2076 47 days ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

But why would the apron be installed on soft gloss coat?

Because they were in a massive hurry to get JPLE on the line after taking a break to change the playfield art & clear.

#2152 44 days ago

So this is an interesting, promising development. Last night I played a freshly unboxed JPLE. It had the old style playfield, with art all the way under star posts, and no washers (except under the third flipper post). I checked all the problem areas with my phone flashlight. It looked absolutely perfect.

Pretty sure the local Chicago distributor had just picked it up Thursday or Friday, so it’s very newly made. Sorry I forgot to check the date. Anyway, for Stern to ship a game at this point with art under posts and no washers, means they at least think they have it figured out. Or so I hope.

#2190 40 days ago

Who sells those?

#2403 35 days ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Ok, I have a theory on this clearcoat issue ( hold your punches)

The guitar explanation someone gave sounds the most plausible/similar to me.

#2479 34 days ago

What the hell are you guys even arguing about at this point.

#2539 33 days ago

Yeah, I'm capable of a playfield swap but do NOT want to do it. There's a reason I'm paying a premium (pun intended) for a brand new game as opposed to a cheap fixer-upper.

1 week later
#2721 20 days ago

So glad I'm able to enjoy pinball for its intrinsic merits, not just which celebrity they slap on the lunchbox.

#2770 14 days ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

how the fuck does that even get passed the QC? zero quality control for item that cost thousands, fucking joke.

I understand how they could miss one sunken insert out of dozens per game, in hundreds of games, but it's how they handle the mistake that matters.

What I DON'T understand is how they can continue to ship defective coil stops. How many of those have gone out the door in the last year, thousands? Pinball Life sells a perfect replacement for five bucks; why can't Stern get quality parts?

1 week later
#3067 1 day ago
Quoted from woody76:

Played a JP premium that is a newer run. The clear coat was so thin the playfield art impressions were showing through it. Did not have a chance to touch it but guarantee you can feel it with your fingers.

Guess what? That's good! My new JP premium is exactly as you describe, and so is my Iron Man VE which I unboxed over five years ago and still has a perfect playfield. Sounds like they're back to the good stuff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 18.95
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside