IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#955 4 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

Yesterday at first I thought it was good that Jack called and offered those effected a new playfield then I got to thinking if it were me I wouldn't be happy with a un-populated playfield that I have to do a pf swap on. These people paid a lot of money for these games and didn't sign up for a "build it yourself kit game" at a reduced price.
I think I am out on NIB JJP games due to price increase and what I consider to be a sub-par remedy for a problem that the consumer had nothing to do with but takes the shaft in the end. What Stern decides to do will determine if I will consider any of their upcoming NIB games. For what these damn games cost now a days it's sickening to see all the problems. In the meantime I'm really enjoying my cheaper solid state machines at a fraction of the price of these new "self-destructing" games.

They are both off my NIB list. Stern has not even acknowledged the issue, head in the sand isn't going to make it go away.

1 week later
#1521 4 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Anybody considering a class action lawsuit?

Sadly but honestly I think this is what it is going to take for any widespread action to happen.

4 months later
#4032 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I guess im not following you. There is nothing to negotiate. If you buy a game with a defective playfield the manufacturer should send you a new populated playfield to put back in your game period.

Well they aren't, so what can be done about it?

People need to stop buying NIB machines. But they won't..

#4034 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

This is the Pinside I have come to know and love: DRAMA .
How many different arguments are going on here? 4 or 5?

I count eleventeen.

#4054 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

That will not resolve the issues, if anything make them worse. Would push used prices up too and back to not enough machines to go round to meet demand.
What would you propose to fill the hole in the market?

What incentive is there for them to improve quality if it isn't costing them sales?

I really don't think many people here agree that a bare play field acceptable but that's all that is being offered in most cases.

So if they are able to make an inferior product, without affecting sales and they are able to only offer a non populated PF and people are ok with it whats the incentive for them to improve?

In a free market the only thing that generally drives change is sales and $$$.

#4055 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

At the end of the day the distributors should be helping their customers out and they are not! What a lot of people don't seem to realize is the distributors are making over $1000 on most games they sell. People need to stop buying NIB games. Most claimed after the Ghostbusters fiasco they were done with NIB.

I think this is always the case, my distributor did what they could for me. I was copied on emails that went back and fourth and my Dist was pretty livid. It went from sorry we won't do anything to ok we will send you a new unpopulated PF. My dist tried and I tried and there was no way I was getting a populated PF. The distributors are in a pickle here and I feel sorry for the majority of them, they know it's not right but what are they going to do just get out of the business and stop selling pins?

I have passed on 3 NIB pins that I had plans to purchase since then and I am happy that I did because people are still having play field issues. It's just not worth rolling the dice with thousands of dollars then getting a defective product that the manufacture won't stand behind.

#4310 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

I've been following this thread. I haven't bought a NIB game in 4 years or more. Was planning on taking my son to Joystix tomorrow to check out all the recent games but what's the deal here? Am I going to buy something and get screwed over? What is the general recommendation?

Buy used IMO.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4337 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Not sure where you get this from. Stern has identified and fixed the clearcoat issues as of the first JP Premium run. They have also arranged to ship populated playfields to owners that suffered issues. Obviously, they aren't reaching out proactively, but if you're vocal and persistent, they seem to be replacing playfields. What games are Stern currently "knowingly selling" with issues?

Not sure who is getting a populated play field I was told by stern they don't issue populated play fields.

#4368 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Just skip past those posts like I do.its a shame as this a very informative thread when people post about "real" issues. Dimpling is normal be it smaller or larger.... but some folks still can't quite digest that concept.

I agree dimpling is normal but I have helped setup three NIB sterns since they started with the thinner clear and the dimpling is much worse than with the thicker clear. I assume they started applying less clear to combat pooling but IMO it is creating other problems.

It's just my opinion but I don't think Stern has solved their clear issues I think they just have a stop gap fix for pooling right now.

#4370 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It wouldn’t. The top of the flipper is still in the same place.
It would have been put there to stop the flipper bat breaking.
rd

I would think so too but Maiden had the same flipper setup without the post, maybe they had some issues with breakage on Maiden. Mine has been fine though.

#4383 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

They removed the artwork not to hide the damage, but to allow the clear to adhere to the wood. The problem with the pooling is coming from the artwork not adhering to the wood. The clear is doing its job - the art isn’t.

IMO neither the art or clear are doing their jobs, the clear is soft and the art is not adhering. The reason the clear is pooling is because it is soft and is being squeezed out from underneath the hardware on the play field and the art is adhering to the clear better than it is to the wood so the art comes with the clear when it gets squeezed out.

#4403 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Why didn’t Stern or distributors pull stock?

Because they don't care, if no one complains they are off the hook.

#4523 4 years ago

So in other words he is telling everyone to stop buying NIB pins.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some comments from Joe Kaminkow on recent playfield quality when asked about it on the Super Awesome Pinball show.
https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/12947717
"...the clear coat is not glass, it's paint, it's a ball, it's a piece of wood, it will roll, big deal"
"It's a pinball, they wear out, they're mechanical things"
Super Awesome Pinball Show "You haven't noticed a change from before to now in playfield quality"?
"I'm sure from batch to batch the poplar wood changes from what tree was cut down or what the amount of moisture was in the air or the amount of time the hard coat did or how somebody mixed the hard coat with not enough of something, too much of something else but you know it's a pinball machine"
"To quote Gary we are not making heart and lung machines, we are making pinball machines"
"We used to make games where the hard coat would wear out within 90 days"
"For those at home in their underwear and in their wife beaters and drinking PBR and bitch in the words of William Shatner get a life"

#4577 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For what it’s worth, my STH LE looks awesome. Much thicker coat than the pro, no pooling or chipping. From what I understand with that the pooling is immediate and I don’t see any.

Unfortunately pooling is not always immediate. Hopefully they got it figured out though and people won't have anymore issues with it.

#4687 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol you are kidding right? Do you think 8’ sheets of pry wood come from 8’ wide trees??

lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

9,600 (OBO)
$ 28.00
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.00
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,999.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=ven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.