IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

The fact that neither JJP, Stern, or Mirco has even commented on the issue is troubling.

What could they really say that would put people at ease? Even a statement like "We are aware of some issues, we're working on it, blah blah blah" would temporarily disrupt their sales, upset distributors stuck with defective products, and would cost tens of thousands of dollars every day if they have to halt the production line.

They're probably running around trying to figure it out themselves.

#364 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Maybe they will last 20 years like this?
Or rapidly deteriorate in a year or two?
That is the big unknown.

And some people thought Spike was designed obsolescence...

I don't attribute anything to malice. But it is funny that a bunch of the Williams guys recognized that clear coating the playfields was bad for Williams bottom line (games last longer, less need to buy new equipment). Maybe all the ex-Williams guys in charge at JJP and Stern see this as mixed blessings

But it's probably something more mundane like a change in the way the art is applied and what chemicals are used for the clear coat.

#498 4 years ago

The biggest thing I learned from this thread is JJP no longer puts their printed manual in the game. Granted it's a free PDF and very well documented, but wow that is cheap for these $9,000 devices. They definitely need to include it with those slightly discounted replacement playfields since people are being expected to perform their own playfield swap.

#511 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I understand that. I’m talking about the bolts that hold the posts to the playfield. And what if the wood is softer? What if the flippers are more powerful?

Occam's razor. We know that the art application and clearcoat process has changed over the past few years. I wouldn't rule out the wood either. The star posts and flippers have been around far too long for it them to suddenly be a problem though. They're the same design and strengths for decades. (Although stuff like the coil stops are noticeably crappier, but those make the flippers weaker)

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is a known issue now, so in the near future and until it is fully resolved, anybody that complains about the game they just unboxed having this problem, gets what they deserve.

Most people buying games aren’t on Pinside on a daily basis.

It’s not a known issue until Stern/JJP make a statement to the effect. Until then it’s a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ from every distributor, operator, and collector trying to sell their game to somebody with the eyesight to notice chipped artwork on very new games.

#640 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

True. But most of the one's bitching here are.

Still. It’s their right. There are games from the past 12 months exhibiting these problems with relatively low usage. It wasn’t a commonly discussed problem until this past month.

I wonder how long some distributors have been dealing with this issue before it got some traction with the most obsessive pinball collectors.

1 year later
#6711 3 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Pooling on the opposite side of where I would have thought it would.

It makes sense to me. The post wants to rotate inward, which applies the most pressure to the clear coat on the inside edge of the post, and the art/clear under the post gets pushed outwards where the resistance is less.

Think of it like this: if you put a piece of glass on water and press down on one side, which way would the water flow?

pool (resized).pngpool (resized).png
#6717 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

It happens on both sides.
[quoted image]

They look different to me. One looks more like the clear pooling and taking the art with it, and this seems like the art chipping and taking clear with it.

But Idk. I'm just a bored guy on the internet.

#7023 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats what this thread is partially about.

Most NIB buyers will never see this thread and a lot of them will have never even heard of pinside.

Unless you want to go harass people outside of a distributors showroom, I don't think there is much you can do to really raise the awareness in the non-enthusiast part of the hobby.

A lot of NIB buyers just want something to fill out their game room and are only going to play their game a couple hundred times in its life.

#7025 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im not the one who started this thread, im only participating in it. The goal of this thread is not to put JJP or Stern out of business, its to try and get these manufacturers to up their quality. Its also about letting people know how these companies are treating their customers and to let people know the playfield quality issues that are going on at any given time so people don't run out and buy a defective product that these companies wont stand behind. For the people that don't care, i would say this thread is not a thread that they should be concerned with. Its just pinheads looking out for each other. The internet is a great thing.

You're preaching to the choir here.

It's not that most people don't care; it's that most people don't know. And threads like this only do so much to spread the news because most people buying pins aren't here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.95
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.