Topic Stats

• 2,705 posts
  • 363 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Mike_J
  • Topic is favorited by 97 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 313 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191018_202159 (1) (resized).jpg
20191018_202129 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_image1 (resized).jpg
DAA46D17-AE44-4183-BF0E-4F9767AF5FAE (resized).jpeg
49034223-F435-4882-9980-BE445297ACB0 (resized).jpeg
59284194583__8E45E493-CC92-4645-BEF4-B9622AEB4433 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20191013-110702 (resized).png
20191011_124130.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5188226D-D073-4C10-86EE-CF925433A9C9 (resized).jpeg
tenor.gif
20191009_201145 (resized).jpg
20191009_201200 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Unknown (resized).jpg
dollar.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#916 45 days ago
Quoted from PinB:

For reference, another new JP with pooling around the washers.
[quoted image]

That’s nothing. This is mine out of the box.

05295779-5B97-4494-9A06-7F496A1455ED (resized).jpeg536C8B0D-F1BD-4410-95CF-EF3AC6AB8421 (resized).jpeg80C3A30B-691F-4F6D-9D52-35F07DB93C71 (resized).jpeg
#923 45 days ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

But I didn’t think Stern had these issues? Kidding. And sorry for making a joke at your expense.
I hope everyone gets satisfaction from their manufacturer and distributor. Everybody knows that resale values matter in our hobby. Anyone that suggests otherwise is a fucking douchebag that likes long hard things rammed up their ass on a continual basis, to distract them from their otherwise clueless existence and basic moronic personality.

No problem. I probably said that at one point.

Really holding out hope Stern will not turn their head to this.

I can show you picks of a routed DE JP. No issues with the clear around the star posts on that one.

#1102 42 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I might get hit by a truck years from now. Today, I'm having a great time playing a great game!

I like my machines to be defect free out of the box. Not to look like this.
I agree with Underlord.

20A74B98-9577-40FD-BFF9-F8B991745B25 (resized).jpeg61D3114F-4B1A-44D4-A024-A32BE3DE8B6F (resized).jpeg
#1114 42 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Of course, we all do.
I'm just saying, some of the issues people are freaking about - coil stops, shooter springs - these are 60 second fixes easily done.
I think we could all do with assuming positive intent. The manufacturers of these games are not twisting their mustaches thinking up evil ways to piss off pinball buyers. The folks going this industry do it because they love pinball - it's obviously a very tricky business to be in (as evidenced by the high profile flameouts of others who have tried.)

Sure. Those are easy fixes I agree with you. But we are in a thread talking about clear coat issues. As a person who has bought 20+ NIB games, the clear on these games is absolutely terrible. I can live with a bubble here or there but when there is tearing and separation when the game has even been played I get a little pissed. Then you have people saying it’s not a big deal. Those are typically not the people buying the games and those that are probably don’t know any better.

#1116 42 days ago

Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love this game but let’s compare a game that is 30+ years old to one that had no plays. Which looks better to you? The game that is 30+ years old or the one that was born on August 17th 2019.
315B60A0-2F75-4CAA-86EC-B1A1584EE181 (resized).jpeg3DFD1E45-BE01-489C-BA56-7BCB2A7D2075 (resized).jpeg

#1119 42 days ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Did you chat with distributor/Stern and what are they willing to do?

My distributor sent pictures to Stern. Still waiting for an answer.

Still waiting for an answer on my WONKA as well but that has been over a month.

Surprisingly my Black Knight Premium looks perfect.

#1121 42 days ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Will be interested in hearing what they do as this will affect my buying NIB decision.
Thx

I will keep you posted.

#1201 40 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Has anyone heard back from Stern on this issue? Its not much, but it at least JJP is recognizing that its an issue and have provided free play fields to people who are affected....has Stern done anything?

Nope.

They never got back to me either when I couldn’t update GOT.

75576789-B2A4-42E8-AF8F-4CF082A0B775 (resized).jpeg9C41E569-7623-4DE9-AAF7-DE55F4BED9B2 (resized).jpegB5BA5CA7-5970-4BAF-9962-F9260B8B87FC (resized).jpeg
#1202 40 days ago

JJP just answered my ticket from July 16th today.

#1255 39 days ago

Like my new avatar

1 week later
#1590 31 days ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

I just got my new Elvira Pin, or rather spent my money I saved for Elvira on a CGC game. Much happier.[quoted image]

Played a Monster Bash CGC locally and thought it was well done.

#1600 31 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The only reason a bar will puill a pin is if the coin slot stops working!

Or the CPU board died and the game won’t turn on.

#1609 31 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

In my world people that buy a NIB Stern and bitch aboot PF clear issues are just as horrible as people sucking deeproot's non existent ass.

I don’t mind be called a horrible person for calling out a horrible product.

657879CD-0B91-4C16-80AC-09473ECCC66E (resized).jpeg94EDF463-9CC9-492F-8E0A-1E9BA9D0D348 (resized).jpeg77264F13-08EC-4EE5-B3F2-8ED0DDF90CE3 (resized).jpeg7E40748C-4C02-439D-B70F-DF7E11317A8C (resized).jpeg
#1617 31 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes, I apologize for not making myself more clear (cough); I meant buying a New, NIB as of today.
I am a JP owner with CC issues and I'm not happy at all.
I keep bouncing back from this and the Elvira thread so my delivery didn;t make much sense; my fault.

No worries. Sorry you are having issues as well.

#1618 31 days ago
Quoted from jfh:

Good advice if you want a Premium; not so much if you are interested in an LE. I’ve never understood why LEs go first before production issues are worked out.

Sell them while the hype is high. If they waited they would have less people buying LEs. Elvira has already been announced. Hype train keeps rolling.

I stopped buying LEs. There is no value in them IMHO.

#1639 31 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just inboxed a March 19 built Deadpool Premium and the Playfield is perfect.

Give it a few hundred plays and check around the rail the loops leading to the back ramp.

#1642 31 days ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Better yet, disassemble it and immediately and put thin washers under all ball guides (unless Stern took the initiative to do it by now).

Good point.

#1683 30 days ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Unboxed JP today. Only reason I’m buying NIB is for route.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome to my nightmare. We feel your pain.

C3BDF5F8-76BF-411A-B40F-96E764C1318C (resized).jpeg
#1684 30 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Any progress yet with your playfield issues?

I think it will take some time like with ghostbusters. Hopefully they will get it corrected and replace some playfields.

#1752 28 days ago
Quoted from zaphX:

In the vein of "making the best of a bad situation"...
Titan Pinball has released some silicone washers for the playfield problem. Thought I'd pass the link on in case people haven't seen them.
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=154&search=washers

That won’t do anything to fix this problem

See. There is already a washer Stern placed on the game.

5C640AC4-9776-46D5-9C7C-14C0C0C8E77D (resized).jpeg
#1800 27 days ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I bought a wonka le a few weeks ago with some pooling around some of the posts(no chipping) . First thing i did when i got it home and set up was take sling post off and few other post on the lower half of the playfield. I used big washers under the posts and lightly tightened them and let it sit overnight. The next day i removed them and everything was relatively flat and back in place. From what i cld tell a combination of overtighteneing along with the inward pressure of the rubbers along with sling going off which created more inward pressure caused the art work to start bunching up. I went to Lowe's and found nylon and rubber washers that i added under those areas and didn't over tighten anything . So far after hundreds of plays everything has been ok and no pooling/movement has occurred and the playfield looks great with hardly any dimples and the clear looks very nice. Eventually ill probably order the nicer lookin clear titan silicone washers but I'm happy so far with everything. [quoted image][quoted image]

The question is if there is pooling and the washers are on it will the artwork pull off when the post/washer is removed in the future.

#1803 27 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who is gonna organize the attack on Stern at expo and demand answers from them on the spot? Or will it be the usual ass kissing contest?
Need to hammer away like this thread until they cave!
Tie yourselves together in a human blockade and block off the exits until we get some info!

Or no one attends! That would send a clearer message that people are not happy.

#1860 26 days ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

For what it's worth, I build musical instruments as a hobby, and there is a known issue with lacquer pooling around the guitar tuners on the headstock. I don't know if it is a similar cause here, but with regard to guitars -- if this happens, it has almost everything to do with curing. Here are some factors:
- 3 thin coats spaced 30 minutes apart, then a full nights cure, then repeat the next day. Then allow a few weeks before tightening the guitar tuners on. This allows the solvents to evaporate correctly between sprays. Applying too thick of a coat too soon will trap the solvents as the outer layer "skins." And while reducing the overall thickness of the clear would help prevent the problem, super thin clear coats aren't generally well received in the guitar world (where applicable) because they lack visual depth and have poor wear resistance.
- Tightening a guitar tuner on uncured clear will trap solvents under the nut. These trapped solvents will soften the paint or finish underneath. This will manifest as a flaking clear coat.
- In the luthier world, it's called creep. It happens to glue and clear coats. A thick glue, when squeezed together,will push out slowly over time during the drying process resulting in what is being called pooling here. This is removed before finishing, but a thick, built up clear coat will do this too. The continuous pressure on uncured clear will cause it to slowly migrate toward the outer edges and pool or bubble. The trapped solvents will then leach into the underlying finish, softening it, and making it flake off. If is unpainted natural wood, it is less likely to happen because the solvents leach into the raw wood and disperse better. The hardest part is that creep is difficult to catch because it all looks fine at first until a week or so later when the clear slowly migrates out to the edges.
The luthier community solved this problem a long time ago by applying more thin coats instead of fewer thicker coats, letting them dry between coats, and then allowing it to cure before covering up portions of it with screwed down nuts. Every so often, the issue re-emerges when a manufacturer decides to save time by changing up the process.
I am NOT saying that is what is happening to the PFs, and there are other things that can cause similar problems (like overtightening, bad lacquer chemistry, bad surface prep, etc.), but I can't help notice a similarity between these problems.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Seems similar to the playfield issues.

#2020 24 days ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I was just offered a bottle of clear coat repair for my pooling ‍♀️ Not sure how that will even remotely help. Sad!

What game?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 233.10
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Fayetteville, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomgwi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside