IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#708 4 years ago

I’m fine with the washers, as long as I can replace them with PETG down the road. I’m going to leave things alone for the first 6 months and see how it goes.

#711 4 years ago

Has the operator contacted Stern about it? Looks like this was before they started shipping with larger washers.

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

NOT SHOWN: Right side sling post was already chipped with art removed.

Serious question: why didn’t you take a picture of the chipping? I don’t doubt you, just would have liked to see what you’re describing.

#718 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Every single one that has washers under the posts.

Definitely not true.

#807 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Are all games affected or are there still rolling some good ones of the line too? Lottery?

Anyone who says their game is okay is going to get shouted down, so don’t expect to hear from them much. I’m not going to say mine is “good” until I’ve played it for 3-6 months.

The resale hit is going to affect everyone. It’s going to be hard to persuade a buyer that your game was immune, if the Pinside consensus is that all games are affected. I’m planning to hold mine for at least a few years for that reason alone.

I already saw a CL ad for ST Pro that said “this game is from before all the clearcoat problems”. The torch is lit, and it’s going to take a solid response from Stern to put it out.

#814 4 years ago

Probably restating the obvious, but if I’m an operator who puts a first-run JP2 on location and I make $3000 in 3 months, I’m not going to quibble about some blistering. All you guys posting location pics of blistering are just yelling into the void. The ops that I’m friendly with care deeply about gameplay issues. They care about the players (the kids, the millennials who won’t be able to buy a new game for another 15-20 years).

We have to understand that this is a collector issue. Our issue. If I have blistering as a collector, and it can’t be fixed (or gets worse), damned straight I’ll be talking to my distributor. But as a collector and a pinball enthusiast for 40+ years, I also hope that in 5 years location pinball will be doing so well that we’ll be a minority again. Then it’ll be like the roaring 90’s again, and we’ll buy “old” games from ops that need new games, for pennies on the dollar. That’s the era I really miss.

#879 4 years ago

FWIW, I’ve got about 60 games on my Aug 21 JP2. I looked under one of the star post washers, and there are no signs that it had ever been there (no outline). It’s still too soon to mean anything, but I’m hopeful that this means my clear is hard. I’m keeping the washers in place for now, just in case.

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you check the upper flipper post? That;'s the only place I've found on mine

I can feel the tiniest little ridge with my thumbnail at the back of the post, but I can’t see it. I may put a slightly larger washer there.

#1108 4 years ago

Here’s what I paid for my 3 NIB Sterns, in inflation-adjusted dollars (includes shipping & taxes):

2004 - LOTR - $5161
2013 - MET - $5176
2019 - JP2 - $5500

LOTR and MET came with monochrome DMDs, so I added ColorDMDs for $350 (show specials). Considering all that, I think Stern’s pricing has been pretty stable, with steady improvements in audio, graphics and electronics.

#1135 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Agreed, not to hefty mark up over the years, but you can´t honestly say jp2 is even close to on par quality and electronics wise to the other two?

I’m not sure what you mean. I think the quality is better in almost every way, especially compared to LOTR.

#1166 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

But sure... the ‘quality’ of JP2 is better LOL. Whatever gets you through the night.
(And i love JP2. But stern isn’t making them like they used to unfortunately)

The reproduction quality of JP2’s cabinet and playfield art, audio and display are undeniably better than LOTR. I can update JP2 with a USB stick, or even change the callouts if I want to. LOTR had less clear coming from the factory, so it’s true that there weren’t clearcoat problems. But the playfield colors and registration were often off. I bought a LOTR playfield that was hand-picked by Ron Kruzman, didn’t realize how bad my NIB playfield was until I saw them side-by-side.

So yeah, reminisce about the “good old days”. But at least acknowledge that Stern has made lots of improvements in the past 15 years. I’m not saying this to excuse the current batch of playfield issues. Maybe Stern should go back to using thinner clear. Pixelated art and weird colors aside, my ‘04 LOTR playfield has held up really well.

#1342 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Minor pooling that requires a camera at full zoom where you see dust specs will probably not be swapped.

Yep, if you have to make the playfield post look like Stonehenge to show the problem, it’s not really a problem.

I have some very minor pooling on my new JP2, fortunately none at the slings. If I can’t see it while leaning over the game, it doesn’t bother me. I do recognize that others have much more severe pooling, and they should be made whole. For my game, I’ll just roll with it and hope that I’ve already seen the worst of it. Life’s too short , and it’s a fantastic game.

1 week later
#1745 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

They got greedy and IMO they wanted to pursue a strategy of massive amounts of new releases to squash the competition before these competitors could get established.

Karma's a bitch, indeed!

If you think there’s some dark sinister motive behind releasing a bunch great games in a year, I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe free market capitalism is not for you.

#1748 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

My friend, I think you misunderstand me I completely understand Stern's behaviour and I would do the same thing if I was them. Isn't it almost funny though (in a dark way), that they are trying so hard to succeed and THIS happens? Oh, Lordy!!

Well the I think the word you’re looking for is irony. I’d agree with that. But Stern didn’t deserve this any more than JJP did.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 11,000.00
10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Roseville, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.