IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 4 years ago

I don't want to go home and inspect my BM66 for fear that I might find something.

#380 4 years ago

I just lost a chunk out of Catwoman. Looked around and saw a few other places either missing pieces or were cracked and ready to fall off.

I reached out to my distributor and will wait and see what transpires. I’m not angry or anything. Shit happens...it’s what you do as a company when something does go wrong that makes the difference.

In the mean time, I’ll just keep playing it and enjoying it. Although it does suck buying a $7,600 game only to find chunks falling off the play field.

#450 4 years ago

Yikes. The washer / post combination on the new machines is effin' ugly. This is the Jurassic Park they just got at the local bar. I checked their GoTG, which was fine, however, BM66 and Black Knight Premium were not and showed chipping at the sling posts.

58864905727__3092FB42-460F-4018-A6E6-377211D22F43.JPG58864905727__3092FB42-460F-4018-A6E6-377211D22F43.JPG

IMG_7292.JPGIMG_7292.JPG

IMG_7293.JPGIMG_7293.JPG

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I'm sure those washers are gentle on the balls.

If they are going to do that, at least get some damn washers that are the same diameter as the base of the post. Seriously, how hard is that?!?!

I really, really wanted to buy a Jurassic Park, but I'm going to sit on my hands for now. I see that small post in front of the upper flipper being an issue as much as it gets smacked.

#546 4 years ago

I've seen countless people complain that their machine is chipping and cracking, but I've seen just a few that have said they have contacted their distributor? Am I the only one that immediately reached out to their distributor?

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

I reached out to the owner of this game and we're trying hard to get this particular board back. The customer has a few TnA's and for whatever reason, this one with 35,000 plays has suffered the worst damage we've ever seen. His other game is over 50,000 plays and he says it's fine.
It had to have a loose (or low) drop target pounding the hell out of that edge on the way up or something, but we need to the game to solve it and be sure. The scoop didn't come apart and is typical of what we'd expect to see at 35k plays. Posts... are what they are. We know it was an issue, and we solved it and did our best to make amends.
So... we offered to swap the playfield in this game to the improved board at cost ($600 for the complete swap) to whoever buys that game and gets it up to Benton. Happy to do so, and more than worth it to figure out what exactly went wrong.

Now that's just bad ass right there. Over an above what anyone would ever expect for a game with so many plays.

#625 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

A friend of mine has this issue on his Catwoman. Any others have this on B66?

I do on my Catwoman. I lost a chunk from one of the posts and there is another ready to let loose. My distributor is working on it, but asked me to be patient. I'm happy to wait for them to figure out what they want to do or how it is to be resolved.

The last thing I want is another play field with the same issue.

I'll just play the hell out of it until I hear back from them.

3 weeks later
#1899 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Unfortunately, when many people are rightfully pissed about being sold a knowingly defective product, it is sometimes hard to bottle that emotion.

I'm not going to get mad until my distributor gets back to me and says "Stern said to go pound sand". For now, I'm giving them time to figure out what went wrong and the best way to fix the issue. I honestly wouldn't want a new play field until they have resolved the issue anyway.

This is something that I'm not expecting to be resolved overnight. If I don't hear anything from my distributor in 30 days or so, I'll shoot them an email. For now, I'm going to play the hell out of my BM66 Catwoman with missing chunks out of the play field.

1 month later
#2921 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Stern would then be stuck with a used game they cannot sell and out many thousands of dollars.

Why can't they sell it? Let them eat it, it was their screw up.

People are seeing pooling issues out of the box. You can't tell me someone didn't spot it when doing QC. Going even further, mine started chipping in about 50 plays.

Are you telling me Stern doesn't put a few hundred games on a couple of these machines and then run them through QC again? If so, whoever is doing QC over there needs to be fired.

#2922 4 years ago

I've posted it before, but since we are talking about Quality Control.....Everyone remember the ghosting issues?

Skip to the 11 minute mark.

Guy Giving Tour: "Yeah, we have this awesome light table to make sure we can spot ghosting insert issues." "Can we show them how it works?"

Guy Doing QC: "Uh, this thing is supposed to be plugged in?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UR2WflOczwU&app=desktop

2 months later
#3957 4 years ago

It's been a few months without hearing anything, so I reached out to my distributor again to check on the status. I was kind of waiting for Stern to figure out which way was up and my distributor to get through the holidays before I started hounding them again. Hopefully I'll heard some good news soon....

#4187 4 years ago

Meanwhile, my BM66 Catwoman continues to fall apart.

The good news is that my distributor said they are working on it for me, so I'm going to trust them. I've been dealing with them since day 1 of my pinball addiction about 4 years ago. They have been great so far, so I'm going to give them every chance in the world.

IMG_9589.JPGIMG_9589.JPG

IMG_9591.JPGIMG_9591.JPG

#4367 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Interesting. Why do you think they placed that post there, any possible reasons?

The only thing I could think of is that they didn’t want you to be able to hold up the flipper and make the shot wider (easier).

3 weeks later
#4873 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

The real questions are:
1) Are the collectors who would normally buy new Stern/JJP machines buying less of them due to these issues?
2) Are the operators who would normally buy new Stern/JJP machines buying less of them due to these issues?

1. Yes, at least in my case. I worked my butt off to get into the IFPA top 1,000 so I could take advantage of their pricing. I have the money sitting in my account for a JP Premium. The key word is "sitting". I'm not buying a damn thing from them until they do something about my BM66.

2. Our operator has been buying every game off the line. He's told me that his locations are all requesting pinball. If he's buying them all, he must be making his money back.

2 weeks later
#5003 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

8 months later and I finally got my blank playfield from Stern. Have not bought anymore NIB games since.

I'm glad to see they did something, however, the word "blank" in your post would have pissed me off. I'm not sure if I would settle for that or not. I'm still waiting for a response.

3 months later
#5412 3 years ago

I'm still waiting on my distributor to help me with the chunks missing from my BM66 Catwoman. The last email I got in response to my "hey, I'm still here, help me out" was that Stern was closed. I'm assuming they aren't anymore since they are pumping out games like they are free.

On a side note, I'm beginning to think that the people in this thread (myself included) are the only ones that care about chunks of their play field falling off, since they are still selling games like hot cakes.

4 weeks later
#5851 3 years ago

Those of us that have chunks missing from our games just have to give into the fact that Stern isn't going to change and they aren't going to fix anything. Why would they do the right thing when people are coming out in droves to buy TMNT? Why change your manufacturing process when people are literally throwing thousands of dollars at you.

I really, really want a Jurassic Park LE, but I'll be damned if they are going to get anymore of my money while I'm missing chunks out of my Catwoman playfield. I brought it to my distributors attention almost a year ago and I still have no resolution.

It's a shame to, because I really like Stern games and always had good service through my distributor.....until now.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5866 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Depends how how bad the chunking is. If it's on the bottom or side of the playfield, that's really not an issue. If it's on top in the middle that is different.
Rob

It's on the right orbit and at the top of both slings. I just sent them another email. I started asking for help back in August of 2019 about 60 days after it was delivered and I noticed things falling apart.

IMG_9589 (resized).JPGIMG_9589 (resized).JPG

#5869 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

What was Stern's response? Let me guess they've been radio silent with the hope you'll just forget about it

According to my distributor, they put in a warranty claim and it has been documented. Not sure where that gets me, but apparently Stern is aware of the issue. I would have bought a JP Premium by now if they would have resolved my issue.....

1 week later
#5995 3 years ago
Quoted from tyson171:

I have a JP Premium on order, supposed to be in on the first week of August! This will be my first real pinball (bought a judge dredd too, hopefully it gets delivered tomorrow). Purchased a cliffy set, mainly for the shooter lane, and if I have play field issues, i'll deal with it. Its like anything else mass manufactured, cars etc. Very rarely is anything ever "perfect" in this world, but what makes or breaks a deal for me is if the manufacturer stands behind their product, and or enough aftermarket support to fix the issue.
If they don't, at least I have the Iron trick to try. Either way i'm extremely excited for my first machine at home, introduce my friends and family to the hobby, and try to make some new friends along the way! Needless to say i'm excited! I'll post play field pics once i get my machine!
Other than a cliffy set, and code upgrade, anything else recommended for a JP Premium?

The problem here is that they don't stand behind their products and there is no aftermarket support for these issues.

I hope for your sake that if you have issues (and I hope you don't), that it's just a little pooling and not something more serious. I'm missing chunks out of my playfield and the chunks took the artwork with them. There is no ironing them back on.

#5999 3 years ago
Quoted from tyson171:

Did your play field start with pooling, and then turned into chunks? Or did it arrive with chunks out of the play field? I'm getting mine delivered/setup, if it shows up with chunks out of the play field, its going back, or they aren't getting paid. Or if I play a few games, and a large chunk comes out of the play field, then i'll have some issues. Even if there is some minor pooling, i'll try the iron trick, seems simple enough and a pretty reliable fix (better than chips in the play field)
I'm picky about things, but i'm not taking a magnifying glass to the thing either, but i expect it to be NIB, as $7600 is a large purchase for me as well. I played several sterns on location last week, and didn't notice a single quality issue with any of the play fields, and these machines were heavily routed. However, i wasn't picking them apart either, I was just there to enjoy the games, and plan to do the same at home.
Technically there is aftermarket, constantly call stern and request a new play field, and send it off to a third party to be clear coated. I saw it runs about $600 for just the clear coat. Is this acceptable for a new toy that cost this much? Nope, but it is an option if it really bothers you, and you plan to keep it forever.

No pooling, nothing. Play field looked great. About 90 days in I noticed something on the play field while I was playing. It was a chunk of the play field.

There is definitely no magnifying glass needed to see the missing chunks.

I hope you don't run into any issues, but I can tell you one thing, if you do, you're in for a kick in the nuts.

#6105 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh I see. I need to get that rewards program deal on my next game. It’s a good discount.

I worked my butt off last year to get into the standings were I can get the discount. Ask me if I’ve used it?

I was dead set on a Jurassic Park Premium. But since Stern and my Distributor decided they didn’t care about the chunks missing from my Catwoman, I’m not buying anything.

Well, maybe a 240 gallon rimless aquarium....

#6130 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I wonder what AP and spooky do differently than stern though.

They probably care....

1 month later
#6518 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Do you have a Stern or JJP game that has a playfield issue? I think many owners are happy with the unpopulated playfield replacement. What would you start the class action over?

I have one and I would definitely not be happy with an unpopulated play field. As for the lawsuit, I wouldn't go class action, but I'm currently exploring how to go about suing an out of state company.

3 weeks later
#6603 3 years ago

I'm probably going to get down voted for this, but this thread was started a year ago. If you knew about these issues before you bought a game, then I'm sorry to say, but you knew what you were getting into so you should accept it. No bitching, no complaining, no replacements.

I'm constantly shocked at people that post pictures of their brand new games and then whine about them being screwed up. I purchased mine before this shit show started and I'm still waiting for a play field from Stern. If you didn't know, then my apologies, but I'd bet $100 most of the people in the last 6 months knew about these issues.

I want a JP Premium more than you can imagine. I worked my ass off all of last year making the IFPA top 1,000 so I could get the discount and haven't used it. I won't use it until they fix my Catwoman and get their act together.

2 months later
#7368 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

captured from the led zep. promo video[quoted image]

And people are still going to throw piles and piles of cash at them.

1 month later
#7571 3 years ago

I'm stuck at an impasse. Stern and my distributor haven't done anything about my BM66 playfield. I've been boycotting them since August 2019 when I bought the game. My problems is that I really, really, really want a Jurassic Park Premium.

Maybe I should just flip a coin?

#7573 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Find a second hand one .... That way you aren't giving Stern any more business directly. And you can get an eye on the playfield before bringing the game home. Problem solved.

I haven't been able to find one locally. I've been looking, but they don't seem to come up for sale much.

#7578 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'm with pinghetto. Post a WTB. You may end up paying more than retail, but if it means getting something that's not fucked up, then it's worth it.

I'm actually waiting to hear back from the IFPA as to the Stern rewards pricing. I might be able to save myself enough that it is worth the risk. I'm not sure how much you get off.

You definitely make a valid point though.

#7638 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

The Stern "quality department" is just a table in the corner where they stack the "Quality Inspected By : " stickers.

I've posted this before, but it's worth of a re-post. It's actually much better than a table in the corner.....

Skip to the 11 minute mark.

Guy Giving Tour: "Yeah, we have this awesome light table to make sure we can spot ghosting insert issues." "Can we show them how it works?"

Guy Doing QC: "Uh, this thing is supposed to be plugged in?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UR2WflOczwU&app=desktop

2 weeks later
#7775 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, I'm glad that you are happy, but that resolution would not be enough to make me happy.

Just out of curiosity, what would you do to resolve the situation? I'm in the same boat. After almost 18 months of harassing my distributor I'm *supposed* to get an unpopulated play field.

What other recourse do I have? Fight with them for another 18 months? Pay $5k for a lawyer and file a lawsuit? At some point, you just have to cut your losses and move on. Am I satisfied, no, not really. Is it better than nothing...sure.

3 weeks later
#7962 3 years ago

Anyone watch IE pinball? I don’t very often but at the start of the one video he mentioned that he was getting a box for a replacement playfield.

Does anyone know what the damage was on his or how he was able to get a replacement?

It was at the beginning of the video named “More Avengers Infinity Quest v1.00!”.

Maybe I’ll be lucky and he’ll be in this thread.

1 month later
#8119 2 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Correct. Warpy my LZ playfield was replaced by Stern with a fully populated one. New one is flat as can be, no chipping, no pooling, and considering how much the ball flies around, minimal dimples.

Quoted from Chuckwebster:

My replacement is the same, the playfield looks perfect- big thumbs up for Stern and my distributor Betson for taking care of the problem in a timely manner. I won't think twice next time I'm interested in a NIB Stern title.

I've been fighting with my distributor for almost 2 years and haven't gotten anywhere. I told them about the issue about 45 days after receiving the game. It's always "I'll check with Stern and get back to you". Then I wait a few weeks, email them again and I get the "I'll check with Stern and let you know".

I'm really pissed off and half tempted to throw them under the bus because they appear to have hung me out to dry. I've bought 3 games from them and would have bought a JP Premium shortly after they were released, but since no one has stepped up to fix my issue, I'm not buying shit.

3 weeks later
#8349 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Correct. A spare playfield is a $1000 part, and the people who got them were for the most part ungrateful about it. "Now what???" "I have NOT been made whole" etc. I wouldn't send replacement either after that.

I'm curious, have you had any issues with your games? Are there pieces of your play field falling off?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 28.00
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,500 (OBO)
$ 29.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.