Topic Stats

• 3,273 posts
  • 409 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 347 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EC0CA520-8182-4324-99E0-3EFE63D4B697 (resized).jpeg
CCBD2D7A-1DA9-461C-98FA-1874C83E9F8A (resized).jpeg
t3 (resized).png
fgy (resized).png
E8A8ECF3-EC7E-41C4-BC2A-C631A0B12E0B (resized).jpeg
F9F9F40B-EBC7-496F-819C-BCC9C9C64EBD (resized).jpeg
PB060048 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191113_005534.jpg
IMG_20191113_005516.jpg
IMG_20191113_005501.jpg
A9B9EFA4-D492-4687-BC00-4F9941A21CC6 (resized).png
IMG_0362 (resized).jpeg
20191104_094400 (resized).jpg
IM1 (resized).jpg
download (1) (resized).jpg
IMAG4130 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smalltownguy2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#881 3 months ago

Progress pics. Here's my Wonka SE. Both of my lower slingshot star posts have blistered and chipped. I have blistering on most of the rest of the play field as well. Pretty much any post that's screwed into the field.

1900 plays. I took possession of the pin on July 18th, and the pin sat unplayed for more than a week while I waited for replacement opto boards. So basically 5 weeks of service.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

left-post (resized).jpgright-post (resized).jpgpost3 (resized).jpgpost4 (resized).jpgpost5 (resized).jpgpost6 (resized).jpgpost7 (resized).jpgpost8 (resized).jpgpost9 (resized).jpg

#883 3 months ago

I'm trying to find the humor in your post. Really, I am.

#885 3 months ago

Getting closer. But still not funny.

#947 3 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Only solution that works for me is a defect free machine for $8 grand.

This is precisely the stance I'm taking with my case.

#949 3 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Back on topic ...... I keep seeing people saying "kudos to Jack".......did I miss something here? Has Jack come out and discussed this topic yet or are people still referencing the fact that he offered new playfields for $500???

Go back in this thread and read. Start at post #896 from about 1pm yesterday.

#957 3 months ago
Quoted from libtech:

They should give guys the option A) replace with populated playfield for those who want a mint game B) send a spare playfield, so those who just want to sell that playfield can re-coup the loss in resale value.
Expecting guys to swap the playfield out isnt really acceptable.

I'll extrapolate that one step further:

Offer:

* A free un-populated playfield, shipping covered,

- OR -

* A playfield swap, owner covers shipping,

- OR -

* Extended warranty coverage for the original registered owner. Ideally, for as long as they own the game, but realistically, out to 5 years would probably be reasonable.

Any one of these options should protect the resale value of the game and provide some relief to affected owners.

#959 3 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

And how exactly are they going to be able to guarantee that? It sounds like both JJP and Stern both have ongoing issues with current games. Seems to me they still dont have a handle on what or why these issues continue to occur or the problem would already have been remedied.

It only took a few weeks for problems to be discovered on my pin, and most issues are revealed right out of the box. Just shooting from the hip here, but I'm guessing that the issue is a vendor concern, either with the vendor assembling the fields, or with the vendor supplying the clear coat chemicals. Not sure which. Doesn't really matter, however, as it would be simple to provide a "test piece" of wood with art and clear applied and a couple of posts screwed to it at the time of production as sort of a "litmus" test of sorts. Then wait a few weeks. If the test piece shows good, then the field is also good.

One thing is for sure - this is absolutely a "batch" issue. It's the only logical conclusion that would explain why there are some units that have issues and others that don't.

1 week later
#1355 3 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Yup, the volume of orders slows to distributors, thus the distributors don’t order. It has gotten Sterns attention, they stopped the line to scrutinize the LEs my distributor says.

They should have been scrutinizing them to begin with!!

#1457 89 days ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

It very well is an ink adhesion and clear issue. The clear is soft and you can put a nail in it. That’s not correct for clearcoat.

I just wonder if the ink from the digital printing process IS what's causing some kind of chemical reaction causing the clear not to harden properly. Same chemical reaction is causing the artwork to lift off the wood. Just musing.

#1520 87 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

From what I read JJP originally offered new pf for 550$ and then changed it to free pf. People that had already paid the 550$ were contacted and given refunds.

Has anyone actually seen proof that anyone received a refund yet?

#1525 87 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Can't say they weren't warned.
But hey, what do you want for $15,000 these days.

That's simple - Three "A-list" players pins. No more new in box for me.

#1604 86 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wait for a Deeproot... Jesus.
Nothing says costumer respect and quality construction like that company that doesn't exist.

Better to have zero problems waiting on a company that doesn't exist than problems otherwise. Buying NIB right now is a lose/lose in most aspects except gameplay.

#1795 82 days ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I bought a wonka le a few weeks ago with some pooling around some of the posts(no chipping) . First thing i did when i got it home and set up was take sling post off and few other post on the lower half of the playfield. I used big washers under the posts and lightly tightened them and let it sit overnight. The next day i removed them and everything was relatively flat and back in place. From what i cld tell a combination of overtighteneing along with the inward pressure of the rubbers along with sling going off which created more inward pressure caused the art work to start bunching up. I went to Lowe's and found nylon and rubber washers that i added under those areas and didn't over tighten anything . So far after hundreds of plays everything has been ok and no pooling/movement has occurred and the playfield looks great with hardly any dimples and the clear looks very nice. Eventually ill probably order the nicer lookin clear titan silicone washers but I'm happy so far with everything. [quoted image][quoted image]

Pardon my negativity, but that's ugly AF.

#1830 81 days ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

How widespread is it then, Flynn? What percentage of owners have reported issues to Stern? 1%? 5%? More?

Why in the hell would this matter? If even ONE game had a problem, it should be fixed - immediately. That's what being a manufacturer of products is. You put out a product, and then you support said product.

#1832 81 days ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Follow the post. The context was that Stern had said it’s not a widespread issue and Flynn states it is.

Not my point. Regardless of the stance of whether the problem is widespread or not, the issue should be given attention. And Stern's not giving it.

#1904 80 days ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Whats great is there are people like yourself that will continue to buy these games (in most cases without even playing the game), and then dump them after 6 months so people like myself can pick them up at a discount....buy away !

Yes, by all means, let's flood the used sales market with defective play fields at a discount. /sarcasm

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm not going to get mad until my distributor gets back to me and says "Stern said to go pound sand". For now, I'm giving them time to figure out what went wrong and the best way to fix the issue. I honestly wouldn't want a new play field until they have resolved the issue anyway.
This is something that I'm not expecting to be resolved overnight. If I don't hear anything from my distributor in 30 days or so, I'll shoot them an email. For now, I'm going to play the hell out of my BM66 Catwoman with missing chunks out of the play field.

This is what I'm doing right now. I have open and regular communication with JJP and my distributor about my case, and I'm playing the hell out of my Wonka in the mean time. I'm waiting patiently for them to come up with a solution for me. But....

*tick tock tick tock*

My patience has limits.

#2029 79 days ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yeah, it's not gonna do jack sh*t. There's air pockets under the art in each one of those "pools", so they're really blisters. Eventually one, more, or all, are going to fracture and the art will pop off along with the clear and then you'll see the wood. That's what happened on my Luci VE, along with everyone else who has wood showing around a post. Are you supposed to drizzle that clear in the chip to seal it down??? I'm curious about what whoever gave you that clear, be it Stern or your distributor, intend for you to do with it?
I locked down the rest of my worst chipped blister with water thin Super Glue, then proceeded to touch up the missing art with acrylic paint, THEN I put clear over the touch-up and polished it. That was a real hoot to do on a 1 year old game, seeing that I have 19 Williams/Bally machines ranging from 22 to 27 years old, and all the art around every single post is fine on those, but hey.. I guess this is progress.

No fucking way I'd go through that much work on a brand new machine. I'll exit the hobby first.

1 week later
#2351 67 days ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I posted this in the JPLE thread, but wanted to let people here know as well that two senior people reached out to me regarding the PF issues I had and they are sending my distributor a new populated PF to swap. Based on the communications I've had with them, I have no doubt that this is an important issue for them to get right. I appreciate everyone's advice here. It helped tremendously.

Jersey Jack or Stern? I'm guessing Stern by the reference to JPLE.

#2425 66 days ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

A toddler can swap a new playfield if you can get them to pay attention. It's simply unscrewing and screwing in parts. On a new game the GI isn't stapled to the playfield, parts are not being rebuild or repaired. it's tedious but easy. To say it's beyond any normal person is silly. Sure lots of people are too lazy to do it, but it takes exactly zero special talent to swap a modern playfield.

GTFO of here with that nonsense. A bare playfield swap includes WAY more than that. Installing t-nuts, pre-drilling for bracket installs, mylar application, to name a few. It's not for the faint of heart. Jeez.

#2433 66 days ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

It's physically simple

Jack Guarnieri doesn't agree with you.

#2530 65 days ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

For JJP, Jack practically screamed do not remove posts with this issue happening...for what it’s worth

I was told the same.

4 weeks later
#2918 37 days ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Seriously? One cosmetic flaw and you expect Stern to replace the entire game even if months old or thousands of plays, eating shipping both ways? Stern would then be stuck with a used game they cannot sell and out many thousands of dollars. That seems a bit extreme to me. I'm not sure what Stern should do with all this but I know what we all can do - not buy nib games until 100% confident that we will be satisfied with what we are buying.

I'm not the one who created the manufacturing defect. I just want it fucking fixed.

1 week later
#3141 29 days ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

These distributors are make over well $1500 on every game sold.

Not even close.

If I told you the profit on a JJP SE, you'd shit your pants.

3 weeks later
#3264 2 days ago

Jack and I are still in regular communication. My case is still open.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smalltownguy2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside