IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smalltownguy2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#881 4 years ago

Progress pics. Here's my Wonka SE. Both of my lower slingshot star posts have blistered and chipped. I have blistering on most of the rest of the play field as well. Pretty much any post that's screwed into the field.

1900 plays. I took possession of the pin on July 18th, and the pin sat unplayed for more than a week while I waited for replacement opto boards. So basically 5 weeks of service.

-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

left-post (resized).jpgleft-post (resized).jpgright-post (resized).jpgright-post (resized).jpgpost3 (resized).jpgpost3 (resized).jpgpost4 (resized).jpgpost4 (resized).jpgpost5 (resized).jpgpost5 (resized).jpgpost6 (resized).jpgpost6 (resized).jpgpost7 (resized).jpgpost7 (resized).jpgpost8 (resized).jpgpost8 (resized).jpgpost9 (resized).jpgpost9 (resized).jpg

#883 4 years ago

I'm trying to find the humor in your post. Really, I am.

#885 4 years ago

Getting closer. But still not funny.

#947 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Only solution that works for me is a defect free machine for $8 grand.

This is precisely the stance I'm taking with my case.

#949 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Back on topic ...... I keep seeing people saying "kudos to Jack".......did I miss something here? Has Jack come out and discussed this topic yet or are people still referencing the fact that he offered new playfields for $500???

Go back in this thread and read. Start at post #896 from about 1pm yesterday.

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

They should give guys the option A) replace with populated playfield for those who want a mint game B) send a spare playfield, so those who just want to sell that playfield can re-coup the loss in resale value.
Expecting guys to swap the playfield out isnt really acceptable.

I'll extrapolate that one step further:

Offer:

* A free un-populated playfield, shipping covered,

- OR -

* A playfield swap, owner covers shipping,

- OR -

* Extended warranty coverage for the original registered owner. Ideally, for as long as they own the game, but realistically, out to 5 years would probably be reasonable.

Any one of these options should protect the resale value of the game and provide some relief to affected owners.

#959 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

And how exactly are they going to be able to guarantee that? It sounds like both JJP and Stern both have ongoing issues with current games. Seems to me they still dont have a handle on what or why these issues continue to occur or the problem would already have been remedied.

It only took a few weeks for problems to be discovered on my pin, and most issues are revealed right out of the box. Just shooting from the hip here, but I'm guessing that the issue is a vendor concern, either with the vendor assembling the fields, or with the vendor supplying the clear coat chemicals. Not sure which. Doesn't really matter, however, as it would be simple to provide a "test piece" of wood with art and clear applied and a couple of posts screwed to it at the time of production as sort of a "litmus" test of sorts. Then wait a few weeks. If the test piece shows good, then the field is also good.

One thing is for sure - this is absolutely a "batch" issue. It's the only logical conclusion that would explain why there are some units that have issues and others that don't.

1 week later
#1355 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Yup, the volume of orders slows to distributors, thus the distributors don’t order. It has gotten Sterns attention, they stopped the line to scrutinize the LEs my distributor says.

They should have been scrutinizing them to begin with!!

#1457 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

It very well is an ink adhesion and clear issue. The clear is soft and you can put a nail in it. That’s not correct for clearcoat.

I just wonder if the ink from the digital printing process IS what's causing some kind of chemical reaction causing the clear not to harden properly. Same chemical reaction is causing the artwork to lift off the wood. Just musing.

#1520 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

From what I read JJP originally offered new pf for 550$ and then changed it to free pf. People that had already paid the 550$ were contacted and given refunds.

Has anyone actually seen proof that anyone received a refund yet?

#1525 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Can't say they weren't warned.
But hey, what do you want for $15,000 these days.

That's simple - Three "A-list" players pins. No more new in box for me.

#1604 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wait for a Deeproot... Jesus.
Nothing says costumer respect and quality construction like that company that doesn't exist.

Better to have zero problems waiting on a company that doesn't exist than problems otherwise. Buying NIB right now is a lose/lose in most aspects except gameplay.

#1795 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I bought a wonka le a few weeks ago with some pooling around some of the posts(no chipping) . First thing i did when i got it home and set up was take sling post off and few other post on the lower half of the playfield. I used big washers under the posts and lightly tightened them and let it sit overnight. The next day i removed them and everything was relatively flat and back in place. From what i cld tell a combination of overtighteneing along with the inward pressure of the rubbers along with sling going off which created more inward pressure caused the art work to start bunching up. I went to Lowe's and found nylon and rubber washers that i added under those areas and didn't over tighten anything . So far after hundreds of plays everything has been ok and no pooling/movement has occurred and the playfield looks great with hardly any dimples and the clear looks very nice. Eventually ill probably order the nicer lookin clear titan silicone washers but I'm happy so far with everything. [quoted image][quoted image]

Pardon my negativity, but that's ugly AF.

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

How widespread is it then, Flynn? What percentage of owners have reported issues to Stern? 1%? 5%? More?

Why in the hell would this matter? If even ONE game had a problem, it should be fixed - immediately. That's what being a manufacturer of products is. You put out a product, and then you support said product.

#1832 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Follow the post. The context was that Stern had said it’s not a widespread issue and Flynn states it is.

Not my point. Regardless of the stance of whether the problem is widespread or not, the issue should be given attention. And Stern's not giving it.

#1904 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Whats great is there are people like yourself that will continue to buy these games (in most cases without even playing the game), and then dump them after 6 months so people like myself can pick them up at a discount....buy away !

Yes, by all means, let's flood the used sales market with defective play fields at a discount. /sarcasm

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm not going to get mad until my distributor gets back to me and says "Stern said to go pound sand". For now, I'm giving them time to figure out what went wrong and the best way to fix the issue. I honestly wouldn't want a new play field until they have resolved the issue anyway.
This is something that I'm not expecting to be resolved overnight. If I don't hear anything from my distributor in 30 days or so, I'll shoot them an email. For now, I'm going to play the hell out of my BM66 Catwoman with missing chunks out of the play field.

This is what I'm doing right now. I have open and regular communication with JJP and my distributor about my case, and I'm playing the hell out of my Wonka in the mean time. I'm waiting patiently for them to come up with a solution for me. But....

*tick tock tick tock*

My patience has limits.

#2029 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yeah, it's not gonna do jack sh*t. There's air pockets under the art in each one of those "pools", so they're really blisters. Eventually one, more, or all, are going to fracture and the art will pop off along with the clear and then you'll see the wood. That's what happened on my Luci VE, along with everyone else who has wood showing around a post. Are you supposed to drizzle that clear in the chip to seal it down??? I'm curious about what whoever gave you that clear, be it Stern or your distributor, intend for you to do with it?
I locked down the rest of my worst chipped blister with water thin Super Glue, then proceeded to touch up the missing art with acrylic paint, THEN I put clear over the touch-up and polished it. That was a real hoot to do on a 1 year old game, seeing that I have 19 Williams/Bally machines ranging from 22 to 27 years old, and all the art around every single post is fine on those, but hey.. I guess this is progress.

No fucking way I'd go through that much work on a brand new machine. I'll exit the hobby first.

1 week later
#2351 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I posted this in the JPLE thread, but wanted to let people here know as well that two senior people reached out to me regarding the PF issues I had and they are sending my distributor a new populated PF to swap. Based on the communications I've had with them, I have no doubt that this is an important issue for them to get right. I appreciate everyone's advice here. It helped tremendously.

Jersey Jack or Stern? I'm guessing Stern by the reference to JPLE.

#2425 4 years ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

A toddler can swap a new playfield if you can get them to pay attention. It's simply unscrewing and screwing in parts. On a new game the GI isn't stapled to the playfield, parts are not being rebuild or repaired. it's tedious but easy. To say it's beyond any normal person is silly. Sure lots of people are too lazy to do it, but it takes exactly zero special talent to swap a modern playfield.

GTFO of here with that nonsense. A bare playfield swap includes WAY more than that. Installing t-nuts, pre-drilling for bracket installs, mylar application, to name a few. It's not for the faint of heart. Jeez.

#2433 4 years ago
Quoted from Beaverz:

It's physically simple

Jack Guarnieri doesn't agree with you.

#2530 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

For JJP, Jack practically screamed do not remove posts with this issue happening...for what it’s worth

I was told the same.

4 weeks later
#2918 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Seriously? One cosmetic flaw and you expect Stern to replace the entire game even if months old or thousands of plays, eating shipping both ways? Stern would then be stuck with a used game they cannot sell and out many thousands of dollars. That seems a bit extreme to me. I'm not sure what Stern should do with all this but I know what we all can do - not buy nib games until 100% confident that we will be satisfied with what we are buying.

I'm not the one who created the manufacturing defect. I just want it fucking fixed.

1 week later
#3141 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

These distributors are make over well $1500 on every game sold.

Not even close.

If I told you the profit on a JJP SE, you'd shit your pants.

3 weeks later
#3264 4 years ago

Jack and I are still in regular communication. My case is still open.

1 month later
#3959 4 years ago

This is the first I've heard that a JJP owner has been promised a populated playfield.

#4010 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He's just trying to take care of himself and get some kind of monetary resolution to his defective purchase. If JACK would have did the right thing and gave him a populated playfield it would have never gotten to the point that Goetz would have had to do that in the first place. Am i right?

I'm sorry, but the end does not justify the means here. I'm in the same boat as him with my Wonka SE. I'd rather not have this go nuclear so that the rest of us get screwed by JJP.

You can be angry and want to be made whole, but you cannot be unreasonable and unwilling to negotiate.

#4012 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Joe is the one that made it go nuclear not me and i hate to tell you this but you have already been screwed by JJP because Jack has already made it clear that he is not giving customers populated playfields.

Go back and re-read my post. Focus closely on the "negotiate" part.

#4024 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Have you heard anything from JJP?

I am in regular communication with them. I've been asked by my distributor and JJP to not discuss my case at this time.

#4078 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Ha. So essentially in this case the dist and JJP have you in an NDA situation.

That is an incorrect assumption. I was simply asked by all parties involved to keep the details of my specific case out of social media, specifically pinside. I signed no paperwork, and I'm under no legal obligation to do anything. I'm simply trying to be nice, that's all.

#4172 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I didn't assume anything. I stated they put you in an NDA type situation so you won't talk about it. I never said there were any legalities involved.
They're not counting on you being "nice"... they are counting on your hope that your silence will get you a favorable outcome.
I just found it amusing that when a customer suggests the same kind of thing there is outrage.

There's a big difference between signing an NDA and being asked to not share specific details of your case on pinside. I'm free to discuss my situation. But until my UPS package hits my front porch, I'm keeping my mouth shut.

#4178 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

All something id be billing Mirco for. But then again, they wouldnt have had that issue if the QC'd it correctly from the start...
In reality, they are still building these machines, so to send a populated playfield, get the return and then use those parts.. Not sure how much costs would be involved besides the labor side.

Um...they're not going to re-use parts on new builds. Would YOU re-use old parts on a new assembly line?

#4331 4 years ago
20200125_090027 (resized).jpg20200125_090027 (resized).jpg
#4436 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Completely normal..

Why doesn't my 25 year old STTNG look like that then?

#4539 4 years ago

I'd personally consider a game with 250 tourney plays MORE valuable than a straight HUO machine.

FWIW, my opinion of HUO is that the machine was beat on by unsupervised small children. I expect the worst.

At least a machine that was lent by a collector to a tournament signifies that the owner cares enough about pinball to actually treat his machine with respect.

#4590 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

According to Pinside Mirco doesn’t make Stern playfields.And yes a phone call and righteous ass chewing can change bad manufacturing real quick.My uncle Charlie was VP of a finishing company I worked for as a young man.I watched him make calls to vendors and the problems were resolved when new material arrived

Pretty sure this issue wasn't resolved with a phone call. I'm fairly certain Mirco got an earful "in person." I have no actual evidence to validate this assertion, but I was told that Jack was "out of the country" when I opened my claim in August. Shortly after he returned, I was called by him personally. I just put two and two together.

#4622 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So far there have been no complaints with the ce, le and se that were made after sept-oct. I'd say they got it under control but of course there cld be a outlier like with any handmade product. But if I was a buyer I'd be pretty confident in purchasing a jjp pin made after sept-oct manufacturing date.

Meanwhile the rest of us who got first-launch run machines are sitting here with our proverbial dicks in our hands. We've got shitty playfields that are blistering and chipping apart, and the best they could do was send us a large box with a bare wood field inside and say c'est la vie! Good luck with your swap project!

#4633 4 years ago

We really just need to move to composite wood material at this point.

#4636 4 years ago

I hear what you're saying, but when manufacturers can no longer achieve proper quality standards using what materials and clear are presently available, then something has to change. I'm tired of brand new machines wearing like shit when the 25 year old ones are holding up just fine.

I don't give a shit about "purist" views about wood. If the wood is shitty, then use something else that won't dent like aluminum foil. If you can't make a quality play field out of wood, then make it out of something else.

#4642 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Playfield protectors just don't work for me. They play different, take the ball noise away, and get dirty too fast.

Those are all things that you should be able to address with various types of composite materials.

1 week later
#4781 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It will be interesting to see if JJP has a price jump with there next game

It won't matter for me.

#4810 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

who are these customers and people ?

Me, for one. I'll never buy NIB again. Ever.

8 months later
#6805 3 years ago

Lest we forget...

left-post (resized).jpgleft-post (resized).jpg

right-post (resized).jpgright-post (resized).jpg

Those were the star posts on my Wonka, after 3 months.

And pooling...

20190911_074903 (resized).jpg20190911_074903 (resized).jpg

20190903_175547 (resized).jpg20190903_175547 (resized).jpg

I got really angry, really quick.

You know what the rep from JJP told me?

"Switch to decaf."

I shit you not, those were his words. I won't disclose the employee who said it, but those were his exact words.

Jack offered me an autographed picture. True story.

In the end, I was able to get a blank playfield. For whatever good that did me.

I am NOT made whole, and I am NOT happy. I will never buy a NIB pin again. Ever.

#6813 3 years ago

I can't speak for Who-Dey, but I'm not sure being fired as a customer would really matter too much, as many of us are no longer NIB buyers anyway. We'll just move our business to the used market.

#6864 3 years ago

That's the same bullshit we've all seen before. I feel sorry for anyone who buys a new game from JJP right now - what a risk they're taking.

They need to figure this out, and FAST. I really want this company to survive, but if this isn't solved it's not going to end well. They make fun machines. But they are melting before our eyes.

1 week later
#7102 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I raised that guardrail on day one with a fiber washer I knew that would be an issue just looking at it

This should not be something a new owner should need to do, ever.

1 week later
#7210 3 years ago

Stopped me.
I was full in on a GNR LE - but now I'm just going to wait it out or buy a used game I can inspect
Already have games I love, so I don't feel I am missing out

Me too. I finally have disposable income to spend on these games. My first NIB purchase was Wonka. And it'll be my last. I'll never buy a NIB pin again, ever.

I have moved on to Golden Tee equipment now.

#7212 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And yet you still hang out here to tell us about it every 10 minutes.

And yet you continue to diminish my experience every time I mention it. I really don't care what you think. JJP screwed the pooch with this issue, and I'm not letting them off the hook.

2 months later
#7484 3 years ago

The fact that you people are still purchasing NIB machines just boggles my mind.

#7531 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Out of interest how many new games have you bought over the last few years that have had playfield issues?

For me? All of them.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....

#7538 3 years ago

Vote with your wallet! What were your issues and did you follow through with the Distro or manufacturer?

Pooling and chipping. Yes, and yes - both. Spoke directly to Jack on the phone. He offered me an autographed picture. I said no.

After 7 months I received a blank playfield in a box and that's the end of it. Now I have a defective game and a playfield I cannot do anything with.

I'm not buying any more NIB machines, and I'll actively campaign against anyone else who is. I still am to this day.

#7540 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'll think of you every time I unbox one, which will be today![quoted image]

That's fine. You do you. I will not buy any more NIB games. I urge others not to either.

These problems will not go away as long as the sheeple continue to remain bent over the barrel and take their punishment.

#7577 3 years ago

I haven't been able to find one locally. I've been looking, but they don't seem to come up for sale much.

I'm with pinghetto. Post a WTB. You may end up paying more than retail, but if it means getting something that's not fucked up, then it's worth it.

#7579 3 years ago

I'm actually waiting to hear back from the IFPA as to the Stern rewards pricing. I might be able to save myself enough that it is worth the risk. I'm not sure how much you get off.
You definitely make a valid point though.

Don't do it. It's not worth the risk, at any discount. Buy used.

#7587 3 years ago

Get a good distro and you will be fine.

I'd rather not screw my distributor over. It's not his fault the product is faulty.

You bought a JJP NIB and got a spare playfield because of some pooling and chipping. What NIB Stern did you buy with the same issue that was not resolved by your distro?

Do I have to have a NIB Stern pin to have an opinion about the dozens of NIB Stern pins that have playfield issues that no one's been helped with?

I've never had a blood infection either. But I'm pretty sure I can still say it's bad, and those that get it should get assistance.

Do not buy NIB pins. Ever. Buy clean used ones.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7591 3 years ago

A good distro will look after you and put in you warranty claim and get it sorted. If it is genuine a good distro will do their best to get you a resolution We have been buying NIB for years and had our issues resolved.
You are entitled to your opinion and you are also entitled to vote with your wallet. Buying clean used games is still supporting the companies that make them. If you really want to make a difference you need to stop playing and buying the games completely.

My distro did handle my warranty claim. Unfortunately JJP didn't come to the plate with an acceptable solution. The nuclear option for me would have been to drive the machine back to the distro warehouse and demand a return, which he would have done for me. But then the problem would have been his, not mine, and he would have been out the money. And that's not fair to him. I'd rather not bend him over a barrel for an issue that really belongs with the manufacturer.

So I ate the issue. But you can bet your ass I'll never let it go, as long as I live. Until I get a populated playfield swap from JJP, my issue remains open and unresolved.

#7597 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Confusing. The distributor Works for the OEM. Instead of letting them do what they Earned your business to do you would prefer to go on a personal crusade to hate all pinball sales? Seems odd to me. When I have issues with my car I don't feel sorry bringing my issues to the dealer?? Good luck with your mission whatever that is....

Cargument doesn't work here. Pinball distros make little to nothing on NIB machines at this point, espeically with MAP in full effect. I'm more than happy to contact my distro for stuff like a broken trough board, airball protector, scuffed powder coating, dinged shooter bezel, broken camera sculpture, scratched head artwork, extra parts rolling around in the cabinet, etc. These are things the distro can communicate up to the vendor and get handled.

(and those are all things I had handled on my Wonka)

The playfield issue is different. The moment I started that warranty claim I was kicked up to JJP senior management. My distro was kept in the loop the whole time, but he really didn't have much involvement other than being a spectator. He offered to let me return the game, which I declined, for reasons stated above.

My mission is simple - caution everyone about buying NIB games. As long as people continue to buy them without reservation, it's tacit approval of the way the playfields are being manufactured. I'm sorry, that's not good enough for me. Until I get proof that the manufacturers have fixed the issue AND are making people whole, the warning remains. Do not buy NIB games. Buy used ones instead.

1 week later
#7681 3 years ago
Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Here are pics of the playfield, and the play count. Judge for yourself.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Par for the course these days. Exactly how my Wonka looks.

#7708 3 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

I will check it out,
As for a replacement playfield, a populated playfield is the only option, im not doing all that work for free after i spend 9650.00 on a game, i feel thats ridiculous. I do in home and shop repairs as a pro, I've swapped many playfields and i have also done many restorations, i get paid real money for my skill set I'm not giving that service for free.

This is where I'm at, except I'm not a pin repair tech. Yet they sent me a bare playfield. WTF am I supposed to do with it?

100% Disagree
With no ability to do a PF swap myself, a replacement PF sold with a machine that has a defective PF is of Zero value to me.
I would rather pay more for a machine without the defects then be handed another PF

And there it is.

#7734 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So great news update: Stern is replacing my playfield with a new unpopulated one. I consider myself fortunate as I'll take a playfield over none at all. Yeah, populated is nice, but I can do it myself with a little work. Plus, they're sending me a shaker for it for the hassle. So I'm thrilled.

So they think a playfield swap costs $150. Got it.

1 week later
#7784 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I have to ship my playfield back first. They are sending a box shortly

Populated, or depopulated?

#7803 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I agree, take what you can get. If the choice is between nothing, or an unpopulated playfield then its a no brainer and I'm gonna be happy about it.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have a blank playfied sitting in a box under my daughter's bed. My game is worth less because of a defective playfield, and the box under my daughter's bed does nothing to correct that.

So, before I opened my warranty claim, I had a game with a defective playfield. Now afterwards, nothing has changed. I've already been told that the spare blank field does nothing to add any value to the pin if I were to sell it. (confirmed by two prospective buyers who both walked away due to my clear coat issues).

#7806 3 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Well lemme know if you want to sell that worthless game to me at a fair price lol. That PF doesn't add a lot of value, because the work involved to get it into the game, but it does add something. Your game would be worth far more if you did the work, so obviously having the playfield does something.

I don't care what anybody thinks is "fair" or not. My price for my SE is $7000.00

#7809 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

My price for my SE is $7000.00

Quoted from Yelobird:

Or consider selling at 6600 without playfield and 7 with and sell the playfield solo.

Read the above post again.

#7811 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I was simply offering a suggestion to Get what you wanted by splitting the offering.

I could have said "firm" but this was a much more passive-agressive way to get my point across.

#7813 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You, passive aggressive? Now I've seen everything!

I know, right? Usually I'm just active-aggressive. I must be getting soft in my old age.

#7816 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I wouldn't buy your pin, or any pin, with an extra pf either.
In general, to accept anything less than a fully populated pf, installed by a Stern paid tech and being ok with it, is doing a disservice to your fellow pin buyers. Get off Stern JJP jock. This is NOT an acceptable solution.
Not directed at you BTW. Just nuts that people with issues think this is ok.

Quoted from Roostking:

Why? I buyer will just find a problem free example.

See this shit, people? This right here...THIS....is why I'm so livid.

And I'm right there with you - it's absolutely NUTS that Stern and JJP think that what they've done is an acceptable solution. I will never buy a NIB pin again, and I will tell anyone not to either.

#7821 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

What Stern have you bought recently? I see you have a issue with Wonka but no Sterns? Just wondering.

Are you asserting that playfield issues do not exist with Stern?

#7830 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The whole I don't like your opinion but I have no defense so lets just go with you are not part of the group so you don't count.

Preceisely. I don't need to have skin in the game with Stern to see they are fucking over their customers too.

Don't get me wrong. I love all of the new pins coming out. Guns & Roses is a real winner for sure. And Stern's latest Avengers pin is a blast. But I will never roll the dice on on a NIB pin, and I urge others not to do the same. Buy used, and examine what you are getting.

#7834 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Simple problem to solve....in the future buy nice HUO games u can inspect. I stopped buying NIB games a few years a go, but rolled the dice with a GNR CE, which arrived in great condition, but its always a risk.

Agreed. The major downside with that strategy is, of course, we have to wait to buy our pins. We don't get to have the "new-hotness" any more.

And apparently waiting now also costs us more as the manufacturers randomly jack prices in the middle of a production run now too!

#7838 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

No one is saying it is a permanent thing. People are only stopping because of the quality control is shit and the solution is garbage. If everyone stopped NIB you bet your ass would sort that out real quick. Then everyone could go right back to buying.

This is the way.

#7841 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Ok, so if holding purchases to force improvements is the plan...what will it take for you and the others to decide it's ok to buy again?
Case in point, all indications are the new playfields on GNR CEs are beautiful. I haven't heard a single complaint.
And yet people still angrily beat the drum in here.

Well for one, properly replacing the defective playfields and making us whole would be a nice start.

Other than that? I'd say get through an entire run of 2 new titles with zero reported play field issues. That would put me more at ease again.

But don't take my word for it. You're already telling me I bitch enough as it is. Let someone else share their opinion and listen to them instead.

#7863 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wasn't my point. Was just saying buying HUO vs NIB isn't always a guarantee/indicator it will not have issues.

I've yet to see a game with bad clear coat take more than 3 months to show itself. So I'd say pretty much ANY used pin should be safe to shop so long as it's been in use for more than 3 months. At least as far as worrying about the playfield coming apart on you. The rest of the machine? Well, it's pinball. We all know the story. Ball bearing rolling around smacking into things and all that. Caveat Emptor.

But I'd say if you're shopping a machine that's at least 3 months old, you should know by then whether or not it's got play field clear coat issues just by looking at it.

#7914 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That’s awesome. People act like the swap is this impossibility that only a handful of super talented people in the world can do. At the end of the day it’s screwing things into wood!
Well done. Looking forward to the final pics.

If it's not so fucking hard then why aren't JJP and Stern replacing our fields for us?

#7917 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If you spent as much time doing the swap as you do bitching on Pinside you'd have a perfect Wonka 10 times over.

On cue. Not surprised at your response. This isn't a time issue. It's a skills issue. And furthermore, I'm not interested in donating my time for free to do something that JJP should have just handled to begin with.

Bitching about my situation, however, provides me with some satisfaction. And I KNOW that people at JJP are seeing what I say, even if they don't like it (or me for saying it). So I consider that time well spent. They (and you) can listen to me complain until I'm made whole.

#7921 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Lol, no. I don't have a dog in this hunt.
I guess I just see this as a fixable problem with a few options:
- Sell the machine and move on
- Do the swap
I don't see constantly reminding everyone how wronged he was helps anyone, including himself.
The same can be said for my own commentary on the issue of course, so whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All this noise, and by your own admission you don't even have an affected game. Typical.

To your suggestions:

Quoted from zaphX:

- Sell the machine and move on

And take a loss? Um, no.

Quoted from zaphX:

- Do the swap

I can't do it myself. And if I have to pay someone else to do it, well, see the above quote.

#7928 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Doubt this will help but an offer..... IF you have the replacement playfield And your not in an emergency timeframe I would be willing to help. I travel to MN often (St Paul) so I would be willing to pick it up on my way and do the swap for you and return it on my next journey north. Think #Kingpin would vouch for me that I wouldn't steal it lol. Hate to see someone hate the hobby but respect not everyone has the ability to do some tasks. Let me know not a favor just an offer and no cost of coarse just helping the hobby. PM me if I can assist.

A generous offer, wow.

I sincerely appreciate it, I really do.

Give me a bit to mull it over.

#7936 3 years ago

Interesting turn of events here....if I read this correctly, NO ONE's getting a warranty replacement play field of ANY kind, ever again!

(at least not from JJP!)

what-the-hell (resized).pngwhat-the-hell (resized).png

2 weeks later
#7970 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

New populated LZ playfield arrived today. Easy to plug back in (three connectors and a cat5). Smooth like glass, not even a hair of a warp. Now to update the code and get back to playing it (I tried one game to make sure everything was working and its like a different game .... no more watching the ball curve into the outlanes LOL)

THIS. This is how a warranty replacement should be done.

#7991 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Hope u get some good customer service.

He'll get jack shit, which is even less than I got for the same problem.

DO NOT BUY NIB PINS

#7995 3 years ago

Thanks very much. Good to see someone keeping tabs on how many games have pooling and chipping issues. Accurate data is much better than hype.

One was too many. And it's WAY more than that.

1 week later
#8028 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

washer are everywhere in a 90s game, what is wrong with just using washer. Use a washer, play, enjoy your life... life is short. You will die and that Efffin machine will still be kicking around. Enjoy it. The game is forever but you are not. Play more.
Good night.

Can you please paypal me $2000?

1 month later
#8054 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:Only a matter of time before chipping starts... on at least a dozen posts... including upper pf. some are worse and a few better than images shown. Build Jan 21... bout 100 plays. Some post areas have already chipped
I must say recent sterns I've bought are quite solid... much improved and about as good as you can get with playfields these days. Still average... but better.
JJp... you can eat a tip truck full of dicks. What's the point of having an awesome game if the playfield is crap.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Holy fuck that's a shitty job. Is there ANY quality assurance going on??

JJP-wow (resized).jpgJJP-wow (resized).jpg

Please tell me you're sending this back.

#8059 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I'm thinking that the number of units involved in their 'buy-back' customer satisfaction program could be quite small mainly due to the shipping, costs and processing involved. It's their last resort I am sure. And if the number of machines is a mere handful, I am guessing they would get the machines back to the factory, and then re-work the damage, perhaps with simple touchup and washers, and then make those machines available through non-traditional sales programs (i.e. employee purchase, top salesrep incentive programs, etc.) Too bad that quality control issues with their main source of income is problematic this far down the road.
It's pretty noteable that any manufacturer would offer to make you 100% whole on a big ticket item like this.

Not JJP. They prefer to just string you along, tell you to "switch to decaf" and leave you hanging with a bare playfield that you have no possibility of installing yourself.

And before someone jumps in and gives me shit about someone's offer to swap my field, I'll remind you that even THAT process won't be free.

2 weeks later
#8150 2 years ago

Why anyone is buying NIB at this point is beyond me. WTF

#8168 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Just add a washer to that, it will be fine...

Exactly. Car still drives, right? Still works mechanically, right? Send it.

#whatafuckingjoke

#8171 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Data point...people said POTC was going to look like those Chevy's, and they don't. The chipping remained at the posts and hidden under washers, and the games are worth more than ever.

Why do you continue to diminish the issue? Are you being paid to do this? I can't think of one reasonable person who would support the assertion that peeling/pooling/chipping artwork is acceptable on a brand-new pinball machine, not one. Even the manufacturers have admitted the fault (by sending replacement fields and adding shit like washers).

This is a serious problem, and it requires serious attention. Stop trying to make light of the issue; some of us are pretty pissed off that our $10,000 got us defective merchandise.

/rant

#8178 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Want to know what I think? You're addicted to the rage. You love having this axe to grind.
Prices are up right now and you could sell your game+PF for every dime you've put into it.
You've had the super-generous Yelobird offer to do the swap for you.
And yet here you are, bitching and bitching and bitching and bitching.
You don't want a solution.

Have you ever considered the fact that I don't WANT to sell my game? I just want it to be defect free. Jersey can provide that solution by giving me what I asked for: a populated playfield swap.

Yelobird's offer was nice, but you know damn well that offer requires money be paid for time spent. Even if he wouldn't accept it, I would still feel compelled to pay money somewhere - likely a donation to pinside. I wouldn't ask any one who doesn't work for JJP to swap the field on my game without paying them. Because I believe in doing what's right by others. You know, like what JJP should be doing for this problem.

Please just stop diminishing people's damage and concerns and actually show a little compassion and empathy.

1 week later
#8271 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup Feels like playing the quality lottery every time. Will be playing the quality lottery myself tomorrow when a NIB TMNT Premium arrives (knock on wood).

This statement, right here, is why we will never see anything get better with playfields.

#8283 2 years ago

I don't even know what to say.

jeez2 (resized).pngjeez2 (resized).png

#8285 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That's ok, it would just be more of the same ranting that nobody should buy pinball.

Followed by more of your dismissive attitude towards anyone's problems. Try being less predictable. I'm not changing.

#8287 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think you'd be a lot happier if you stopped dedicating so much negative energy towards this issue.
It doesn't affect you any more because you're out of buying pins, right?

Incorrect. I'm still buying pins. Stop trying to pretend you know anything about my involvement in this hobby.

When Jersey Jack Pinball fixes this issue and makes me whole, I'll stop talking about it. Until then, well, you already know.

Stop buying NIB pins, people.

#8289 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And just like that, NIB sales plummeted to a trickle.

Feel free to take all the pot shots you want. I will never waver from my position, regardless of what you believe. I was not made whole by JJP, and they continue to allow shit playfields to leave their factory. I'll call them out on it every day of the week. It's not right.

#8292 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not a pot shot. Just a shot fired at the idea that "Stop buying NIB pins people" is going to happen. It's a unrealistically simplistic.
You got a beef with JJP - like many others these days - but you are gonna have to work it out with them. Nobody is coming to your rescue with an en masse boycott.

Read the post above yours.

#8370 2 years ago

There's now a discussion thread blowing up on Facebook in the Jersey Jack Pinball Fans group. Things are getting noisy again. Too many units with issues.

#8380 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

My late run WW CE has pooling and chipping. They haven't solved this issue.

And I'm guessing you're not getting a play field replacement either, are you?

#8435 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That being said, it's time for me to bug out of the playfield thread again and let you guys do your thing. The main instigator has moved his grievances from the owner's thread as I requested, so it's only fair for me to let you guys have your space in peace.

Quoted from zaphX:

That’s awesome Palmer . Well played.
Fwiw I don’t think it’s fine. I’m a realist and I’m dealing with it as best I can for now with plans to do a playfield swap at some point. Short term playing as usual, long term planning for some kind of repair waiting to see what that might be.
I guess the main difference of opinion here is that I don’t think JJP needs to be “forced” to find a solution; I believe they are as interested as we are in solving the problem.
Maybe I’m being naive. I just believe in assuming positive intent.

I thought you were leaving.

#8452 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

My recommendation for the next JJP game is, don’t buy it. Now...that’s not going to happen, but listen up. CEs, I can’t convince anyone to not buy. So go ahead get a CE. But that’s it. Don’t buy the LE because they will be around for years and so will the SEs. If JJP sees only 500 ppl bought their pin (CE total), message received. And you won’t lose out on your LE or SE. They either fix the problem, or have to sell those LEs and SEs at a discount, as no one is buying them.

I have a better idea. Don't buy any NIB pins.

1 week later
#8542 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

It’s still not a correct analogy. Chipping around posts that can be easily touched up and is invisible during gameplay is in no way akin to a broken monitor. At all.
I’m not trying to minimize the issue, at the prices we pay it’s a big deal and JJPs response has been pathetic. But the comparisons to situations where other products are rendered literally unusable is completely laughable. This hobby has been littered with pooling and chipping across all manufacturers for years and we have all enjoyed the games just as much. The issue here is with JJP and their abysmal/shady business practices. POtC with pooling and chipping are selling for 20+k, I think the games still work.

You are missing the point entirely. Stop talking, please.

#8552 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

]JJP needs to send, at the very minimum, a perfect replacement playfield to all of those affected (including myself). Of those that receive one, I imagine less than 10% would do an immediate playfield swap. The rest would simply keep it as insurance until the issues develop to the point of requiring the swap (spoiler alert likely never).

I disagree.

My game came with a defective play field. I asked to have my defective play field replaced. JJP refused. End of story.

#8554 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

disagree with what part. I said JJP should replace the playfield. It would be nice if you posted in complete thoughts.

No, you said that JJP should "send, at the very minimum, a perfect replacement playfield to all of those affected."

That is NOT replacing the field. Sending a part is not the same thing as replacing a part.

#8557 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Ok so you want a replacement populated playfield. Agreed that would be the optimal solution. Sell your game if you're unhappy. I'm sure you can get 6500+ for your wonka, which is exactly what wonkas with perfect playfields were going for 6 months ago.

I would like to keep my game. I would also like it to be defect free. Those are not mutually exclusive.

#8562 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Actually in your case they are mutually exclusive.

And that is 100% JJP's fault. There are other Wonka SE owners who have defect free games.

#8594 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

It’s not a legal angle it’s what any business is expected to do. If the customer doesn’t like the product offer a refund.

I'll believe the legitimacy of this "buyback offer" when I see offers to buy back other models.

What I DO believe is that the only reason this woks is because the CE is currently trending above MSRP in value. Had this game been a dud there's no way the manufacturer offers a buyback. Just my opinion.

#8645 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It wasn't snark - it was reality. The 'give their money back' solution is not a admittance of fault - it is the most direct way to simply undo a business relationship and reset to zero.
The actual conversation was if buy-backs open them up to some other liability - they don't. You can simply say it is a way of appeasing an unsatisified (or unsatisfiable) customer. You give them their money back and part ways.
Your response added nothing to that conversation.

Except for the fact that they've already admitted there's a problem by offering warranty play fields in the past.

#8782 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

or ... just offering compensation to address customer satisfaction.
or... addressing individual situations
Still a long way from directly acknowledging a faulty product/process.
We all know it... but from a business/legal perspective... still a lot of space between those points.

I opened a case for a defective playfield on my Wonka, and they sent me a blank replacement playfield. Do you need more proof of admission than that?

#8784 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Read again... without your foregone conclusions in the mix. Doing something in response is not the same as 'admitting fault' or acknowledging a widespread problem. There is key reasons why they don't make such public statements.

OK, then please provide me with a "reasonable" explanation as to why JJP would send a blank replacement playfield in response to a warranty claim for a defective playfield.

#8786 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Customer: Your restaurant’s cheeseburger gave me food poisoning.
Restaurant: we’re sorry for your inconvenience, the next time you and your family are here, the meals are on the house.
Is different from:
Restaurant: we’re sorry you got sick. A lot of customers got food poisoning that day because a cook wasn’t washing his hands. The next meal is on us.

A better example.

Restaurant: Here's your cheeseburger.

Me: It's raw. See? Bloody red on the inside. Not done. I don't want it.

Restaurant: OK, we'll make you a new one.

In that example, the waiter doesn't admit anything either. But it's pretty obvious that the maker of the cheeseburger is at fault. At least I believe most reasonable people would see that.

#8788 2 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

You’ve made the point here which is also the first example I wrote. In both, you’ve kept the customer happy without admitting any wrong-doing. We arrived at the same place.

I am not the least bit happy with a bare playfield replacement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 11,000.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider smalltownguy2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=smalltownguy2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.