IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4087 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

You didn't care about a resolution in general - just for you at all costs.

Just an observation here, but it should NOT be Goetz's job to be concerned with how other victims of defective playfields are rectified, or made whole. That job is, and always will be, JJP. He need only be concerned with how HE is made whole. I work in the auto industry, and the only thing that could/would sort of link an "end user" (i.e. customer) to other victims is a class action lawsuit, and even then the linking element is counsel (lawyers), not dealerships or even the OEM.

I have a pooling/rippled Wonka LE. FWIW, and have not contacted anyone on it because I have zero flaking/chipping.

#4166 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Any good manufacturing business knows that supplier part validation is the key to having consistent product without worries down the line.

The quality controls in place are typically done at the supplier level per ISO standards. This is the case with FSS, (full-service suppliers) HOWEVER as you state- a quality metric is typically in place at the OEM level to VERIFY said purchased parts. This is how it's done in the auto industry (which I work)

I'd be interested to know HOW this was laid out in the SOW (statement of work) and MSOW (manufacturing statement of work) purchase order between JJP and Mirco. Since cars and trucks can kill people when quality is not adhered to, part rejection happens all the time here in the auto industry, and thus, would delay the launch of a new vehicle.

But, like everyone says here in this thread all along- It is JJP's obligation and duty to make sure they're not putting sub-standard playfields in pinball machines, and them and them alone to stand behind the ENTIRE product in the event of an issue. They, in turn, then go after Mirco for damages. I can't for the life of me understand why JJP wouldn't do an "entire playfield swap" program with all of us early buyers from the defective playfield batch.

#4212 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

When it comes to pinball, these games are being cranked out and I'm sure in some instances, an assembly worker can see some of the PF imperfections in this thread. Do they have the "power" to call a supervisor and pull the unit from the line? Based on the info at hand, it doesn't appear they do.

I highly doubt these things are being held to a production speed quota of "X amount of units a day", or hour, or whatever, like the auto industry, or other durable goods industries are. Seems to me they are essentially "slow built" with nearly zero automation, and almost 100% human power. This to me says they DO have the ability to QC things such as the playfields BEFORE they are populated. To me, this is where the wheels fell off.

Since the issue is purely aesthetic , and not functional (inhibiting the ability for gameplay) It explains why they're not doing much about it. Kinda sad, really, since JJPs products are really amazing.

#4222 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You could doubt it all you want, but when companies are churning out products, time is ALWAYS a factor. “Slow built” is unfortunately a thing of the past in many industries...like it or not, humans are being asked to compete with robots. Even tough robots don’t build homes, many components are pre-assembled by robots off site (reducing the number of workers involved to say, complete a roof).

Assembly line work by definition is time critical. Sub-contractors building homes are always under time constraints...and over the past decade, the constraints have tightened. My insight is based on actual transactions & experiences with home building (where the mistakes make pinball look pretty damn good). I have no idea how Stern runs it’s assembly line, but it’s very clear more machines are being produced with more defects (many, related to manufacturing).

I'm a Product Development Engineer at Ford Motor Company, and understand slow build v.s. production speed. That's why I mentioned it. these pinballs are more akin to how Ferrari, RR and Jaguar USED to build vehicles, and less like how we do things today with automation and computers. That's the only reason I said it. I've seen the video walkthru on Stern and JJP of their production facility which is 98% human labor. This IS the equivelant of "slow build" in a highlt automated industry such as the auto industry.

#4277 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Pinball is a different market. Supply is low, manufacturers are few, market is hungry for new games, people will buy no matter what (especially those who route and need the latest game to make the most on the hype).

We need an advocacy group of pinball enthusiasts who can organize and get manufacturers to change their stance on quality and customer service.

I completely agree with this. When you have a commodity that is produced at a slower rate, with less automation, quality expectations and standards should be WAAAY higher. They would HAVE to be!!! I cant really understand why JJP and Stern chose to use the mushy, soft playfields when they were detected upon arrival from Mirco. If someone tells me that they never detected the softness issue BEFORE populating them, or even during, then those companies REALLY have some SERIOUS quality control issues, and probably won't last.

I believe they KNEW they had too-soft playfields, and chose to use them b/c they HAD to get games out by a drop-dead date for financial reasons.

2 weeks later
#4719 4 years ago
Quoted from notmyrealname:

but i did want to make clear to all that not all late run le wonkas are immune. i will keep monitoring and update the thread if it should progress/get any worse.

for some reason, the pooling takes time to show up. Not sure why. I'm assuming the first batch of games it shows up much quicker, if it is indeed still rearing its head on later games.

#4727 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

This is why I roll my eyes every time someone comes on here and says, “my new __ pin with born on date __ is perfect!! Buy with confidence! They’ve solved it!”

It’s like antivaxers that say “I never got mumps so vaccines are unnecessary!”

You can’t extrapolate like that!

I have a game that was built in July last year. It has pooling everywhere, and a crack/chip on the right sling, lower starpost. I'm currently working with my distro, who BTW, is absolutely awesome.

I did not notice it at first, but I'm assuming the pooling was there from the build date. It's too bad that the PF's are cracking and chipping, because the pooling could be something to live with.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#5035 4 years ago

can’t say enough great things about my distributor here in Michigan. my new replacement PF came today, and it’s PERFECT. was built with pooling and developed cracking/chipping. this makes me feel complete for the 10k investment, especially when you consider how the pooling and chipping does not effect gameplay. thanks JJP and Abel Electronics
0B0411E7-88DB-4824-A0D5-B1B20D2D2959 (resized).jpeg0B0411E7-88DB-4824-A0D5-B1B20D2D2959 (resized).jpeg230290A2-16AB-401E-92C7-5C42D3E37625 (resized).jpeg230290A2-16AB-401E-92C7-5C42D3E37625 (resized).jpeg396D55F3-E4CE-4CDA-8684-69B89438AC57 (resized).jpeg396D55F3-E4CE-4CDA-8684-69B89438AC57 (resized).jpeg736042E8-7EB3-4483-8D1D-F285F4CE0F26 (resized).jpeg736042E8-7EB3-4483-8D1D-F285F4CE0F26 (resized).jpegD9E31F73-B72D-407B-B05B-11E643AC2F54 (resized).jpegD9E31F73-B72D-407B-B05B-11E643AC2F54 (resized).jpeg

#5037 4 years ago

Don't really care, because I'm not going to swap it. It least, not now. the pooling/chipping does NOT affect game play, and I bought my game to PLAY, not sit and stare at. The most important thing here is JJP making the customer whole. It will be going with the game if I ever sell it, and don't end up swapping it down the road.

#5044 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

People need something to fill their closets with or something?

I don't think this is the case- Like I said; I won't be doing the PF swap, even though I have the right tools and knowledge to do it. No big deal to me. Maybe down the road, but probably not. It WILL however, give a potential buyer the OPTION to have a perfect playfield if they so wish, if they indeed need it that way. Some people need perfect games. Like... literally- PERFECT. That option is there. Again, I think JJP has bent over backwards trying to mitigate this issue all while trying to fill current orders, and get in line the launch of GNR. Hats off to them. QC did, however, slip through the cracks last spring before releasing this game.

I'm really impressed with how close to center the code was when released. not to far off.

#5047 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

It seems we have bigger fish to fry now?

Part of the reason I was FLOORED when I saw UPS deliver my PF today.

#5056 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Stern has screwed me worse than he got screwed.

I didn't get screwed. I could do the PF swap no problem. I'm a mechanical engineer in the auto industry. I was made whole in my opinion. Sorry you don't feel that way

#5067 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

but do not have the time...seems like you do

I do have the time- I've been working from home the last month. No, I won't.

#5068 4 years ago

What really amazes me is in a hobby where everyone is SUPPOSED to be enjoying it, there sure are a lot of vitriolic, hatefull, snarky, smart-asses on Pinside ready to attack ANYONE. Probably the last straw for me here, will probably be de-activating the account and going to FB marketplace for good.

How on earth do people get through the day that have NOTHING good to say, ever?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=seatmandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.