IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rockfordreplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3735 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

So it is pretty obvious softer wood is being used to make modern playfields. What I would really like to know is can the harder wood still be acquired for a higher price or are these pin manufacturers just unwilling to pay the higher price for harder wood.

Bingo. The aged wood sources are depleted while their replants are harvested for a quick turn-around. These younger materials are very soft when compared to an aged relative. The harder/aged materials are gone. I'd like to 'think' a surface hardening technique is used for pinball surfaces. If not; they should.

I designed and built prototypes from Baltic Birch in 2015 thru 19. The best material was sourced from Russia and it was handled with great care to reduce surface scratches. One slip on an edge or a wood-chip produces a scratch. I imagine play-field producers are very careful when handling; They have to be. B.Birch is brutally strong, but its soft surfaces need care.

#3738 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

You are saying the harder/aged wood is gone?... ...You said you used Baltic Birch? Is that the best out there?

Baltic Birch Plywood is a bad-ass product. It's awesome. The Russian material sources and their manufacturing are top-notch. Anyone wishing to produce the best pinball play-field sources Russian BB.

I'm not familiar with the variety of species of used in BB. However, a 20 year-old Birch tree will be softer than an 80 year-old Birch of the same species. For logging; You want to tear that tree down and replant as soon as profitability allows. The old dense wood of the past is in the past. Loggers have acquired a massive quantities of land plots in various locations. Their land cycles of chop and replant are design for speed and profit not a ripe old age.

Young wood is a very strong and very useful. As such, profitability will decide when the tree comes down, not the density of its fibers.

#3745 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Go back and start here for a perspective from CPR... as a voice of someone who tries hard in this area
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-preorders-are-meaningless/page/2#post-4863477

Good Read. Looks like their play-fields are a 'secret-recipe' that continues its evolution today.

9 months later
#6569 3 years ago

Spent over 2.5 decades manufacturing wooden gift items; There's no way that knot in the shooter trough would find its way into our Top-of-Line product. I'd suspect the playfield issues are plentiful to a level where the exposed knot starts to look good. It's tough.

#6582 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Your " Top-of-Line product" would not have been made of plywood

The Baltic layers were a feature of the product;

Planet-6-Premium-Desk-Stand-7.jpgPlanet-6-Premium-Desk-Stand-7.jpg
#6645 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Not trolling. Why is that knot or blemish in the shooter lane a problem, or is it just aesthetic? Is it smooth?

I'd say aesthetics and playfield integrity. When sorting playfields for Limited Edition assembly; I'd save that one for a lesser valued machine. When resources are low, I can imagine sorting defected materials to find a solution.

That playfield should be fine and it has character too. A knot can be frozen, filled and smoothed before clear, but we know that layer of Baltic has a number of large, hidden knots that are not addressed depending on the diameter of the tree. It'd be interesting if an ultrasound certification was provided, but that's overkill.

6 months later
#8098 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

The clear is applied by robots- so should be consistent. Not sure if the robots mix the chemicals at the spray head or take it already mixed.

Every day I prep numerous machines for production. Two of them are 6-axis robots for lacquer application. The motion of the bot is the only constant. The source material, mixture, lines, atmosphere, surface prep, tip condition, this employee who knows how to do it better than that one, variable exhaust, dry oven conditions and whatever else I'm missing at the moment. My point is; robotic spray application is a process of numerous variables. The robot is an incredible too, but it doesn't do all the work and troubleshooting. There's extensive work behind the scenes to make the finished product shine like its supposed to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rockfordreplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.