IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#488 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Have you looked in a stern manual in the last few years? They don't even include lists of parts like ball guides, posts, plastics, or anything... mounting hardware is way down the list of 'shit you won't find in a stern manual'
Frankly issues like the manual (since about Metallica era) are so abysmal and will really hurt us going forward.. yet most collectors are oblivious to it

This is so true....JJP doesn't even provide a hard copy (although they did on my DILE) although they do put the manual on the display, which is a nice feature. Not sure if Stern does this or not on their newer games? Sterns hard copy manual is completely worthless

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

JJP sends a disk out with all games.
Their hardcopy manuals are of course beautiful, which they should be after 2 years of making them.

I actually got a disc for WOZ and Hobbit....after that they stopped (at least on my end) + their pretty useless since none of my computers use disc drives......yes they are beautiful, but for $9500 its not worth paying an additional $100 for the manual....the best thing JJP does is put the manual on the display...I've found that to be very useful

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

No sir I believe both manufacturer will take care of me as they have in the past.
I trust Stern and JJP
Both proven worth

the good news is theres folks like u that are willing to roll the dice....

#789 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier. I kinda want a MBR anyways so that could be the direction that i go in.

MBR is a great game...CGC did a nice jog...I wish they would remake the MM with the larger screen to match my other remakes

#796 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I struggle between MBR and MMR. Which would be your choice of you could only have one?

Thats a tough choice....my family would pick MBR LE..people bag the code, but I think its BS as its a really fun pin.....if I had to choose I might give MMR a slight edge....u really can't go wrong with either choice...I'd pick up a nice used one locally...whatever comes up first wins

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Look at his prices, would you buy from him?
https://tntamusements.com/inventory/pinball-machines/
He comes off as a used car salesman anyway...

I actually really enjoy his videos...they were very helpful when I first got into this hobby....I do agree that his prices are typically on the high side, which would be fine if you were local to his shop as he does provide services.

#1099 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I thought inflation would have a bigger effect, but $2000 then is only equivalent to about $3700 today. Economies of scale definitely have a major impact, but B/W had a lot more corporate overheads than Stern or JJP. Pinball could/should be very profitable at current prices, but I think the issue is that unlike Stern, or even Spooky, JJP hasn’t been able to maintain stable demand/consistency in its factory which can be a killer. Dealing properly with the quality issues will cause some real short term pain, but losing customer loyalty and constant demand fluctuations from poor quality could be a death spiral. Hopefully JJP, and Stern, will come out with a more transparent, customer focused solution very soon.

I think JJP's move on current games with issues is to provide a new unpopulated play field. Its not much, but at least its something. Apparently Stern has done nothing, which is pretty disappointing. Zero chance I'll be buying any NIB Stern or JJP games in the future until they both adequately address this issue. Apparently pooling is the new normal....I'd be ok with the pooling issue if the area in question didn't chip...The problem is we don't know what will happen

#1200 4 years ago

Has anyone heard back from Stern on this issue? Its not much, but it at least JJP is recognizing that its an issue and have provided free play fields to people who are affected....has Stern done anything?

#1274 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im going to give them a little time and see if they get this corrected because i want a JP and a Elvira 3, but im also now considering something different for my game room like a Bubble Hockey machine because I refuse to by anothe new pinball machine with a shitty playfield. Stern needs to find a way to win me back as a customer.

I just ordered up a Super Chexx Miracle on Ice....my kids and I have played this before....its a lot of fun I wouldn't buy shit from Stern or JJP until these issues are long gone...all the people on this thread who don't think its a big issue don't have pooling or chipping on their play fields...

#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ive never played Bubble hockey but my buddy is getting one and its got me thinking about one a small amount at least. Ive heard many people say that they are a blast to play. I wish that i could play one somewhere but theres nine aroung that i know of. I bet a four player game on one would be a blast though. The downside to them is you cant play it by yourself.

Yea thats only downside, which makes pins, and arcades so attractive.....its a really fun game if u have people to play with....great family fun

#1294 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

My Super Chexx Pro gets delivered next week. I almost went with Miracle on ice.

Great fun for half the price of pin, and I guarantee u we won't see pooling or chipping

#1356 4 years ago

I asked one of my distributors for a price/delivery quote on the new Dinosaur game from Stern (premium).....I then asked if they've solved the play field issues, and he was honest and said no. He said that Stern is aware of the pooling/chipping problem and working on a solution. Also said that sales have significantly slowed on JJP and Stern games....so yes its impacting the manufacturers.....lets hope they actually come out with a solution so we can talk about something else

#1361 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There are tons of people wanting to buy Jurassic Park right now if they had the confidence to do it and i am one of them. I think Stern would be wise to let it be known that the problem is resolved once they get it figured out. Of course the other problem is you got a bunch of bad games sitting in boxes at distributors right now and people will not want anything that is old stock so they wont buy because of that.

In my opinion anyone willing to roll that dice should do so assuming nothing will be done. My guess is unless your game is chipping they won't do anything about it...I hope I'm wrong, but thats my guess

#1366 4 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I was also told the issue was fixed. But in just 3 weeks how? My guess is they are just throwing washers on and waiting longer to see what blisters up before boxing. Band aided but not fixed. So I cancelled my LE as without a statement and a guarantee I don’t think anything changed.

well we'll find out soon enough when the LE's start shipping....these distributors are in a tough position...sitting on inventory that they have no idea what the status is...

#1581 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Shit don't matter to some people.
They aren't worried about every little detail or what they will lose when they sell it. They just want a new game, and will take it any way it comes. Some of us seem a little anal to them.
I try to look at both sides of the picture, but on the other hand, I put too much effort into anything I do to accept poorer quality than I'm used to. I'm too frugal to buy everything brand new, but when I do, it better be the best they are capable of. I won't accept less for my money.

I'm happy were in a market where people throw stupid money at these unproven games, and then get bored after a few months and sell them at a discount....I see no reason to roll the dice on new in box games anymore (unless CGC decides to remake IJ or WW)....

#1665 4 years ago

No pooling or chipping on my nib hockey yet...[quoted image]

Looks nice !

#1870 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Well, if they said it's not widespread, they're not indicating it didn't happen. And again, given the number of pins that were produced, and given we don't know how many have experienced chipping (I'm going to assume that Stern isnt concerned about pooling since it 's only cosmetic), it could absolutely be considered to be "not widespread".
So no, "cover-up" is equally ridiculous and accusatory.
With respect to another posters comments, assuming that all of the pooling will lead to chipping in a few years and demanding playfields be replaced is also absolutely insane. What company is going to spend money, replacing things that aren't broken.
Pinside is nuts. It COULD be the most positive place to discuss pinball, where distributors like Stern COULD ask us for opinions and feedback.
Instead, (and I'm going to quote a friend here) it's a dumpster fire that Stern understandably wants no part of.
From my point of view, you can't accuse them of lying, using words like "cover up" and also expect them to spend thousands of dollars on issues that haven't proven to be a problem yet (pooling), and also criticize them for not announcing every issue they encounter.
Their choice to deal with defects on a case by case basis is the only thing that seems to make sense around here.
You are welcome to be critical of the way they operate, and refuse to spend your hard earned cash on anything they produce.
I on the other hand, am looking forward to picking up a Jurassic Park Premium as soon as possible.
I am currently "out of F(*&s to give" as they say. If you want to hate on Stern, have fun with your Wonkas.
I'm out.

I could really care less if they admit theres a problem or not. Like you said its their choice on how they want to run their business. I do however believe it says a lot about a company on how they address issues, and there is no doubt that pooling/chipping has been an issue. Whats great is there are people like yourself that will continue to buy these games (in most cases without even playing the game), and then dump them after 6 months so people like myself can pick them up at a discount....buy away !

#1878 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:Again, absolutely ridiculous.
A car that’s defective is massively different from a pinball machine.
(I don’t want to give it away completely, but think of what happens to the user when these two very different machines fail to operate as intended)
The other thing to consider is this: Pinsiders appear to consider pooling on par with global warming. Operators likely do not share the same concern. So Stern announcing a recall and drawing attention to something that’s perhaps not even important, is not only unnecessary, it’s throwing money down the drain. That money is recouped with higher prices.
If that’s what you want, you’re on your own.

I think your missing the point...Stern chose to market to high end collectors, and priced their games accordingly. With that comes a different level of expectation

#1881 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I’m not missing the point at all. We weren’t talking about how high the bar has to be for high end collectors.
But since you bring it up, are you suggesting that the owners of Pro machines aren’t entitled to the same level of quality as the LE owners? Please clarify.
My own view is that all machines should operate as intended. I would say that large chips could prevent that from happening and should warrant replacement. I would also suggest that smaller chips do not change the playability, but given the cost of these, it’s a “nice” thing for Stern to eat the replacement cost, if possible.
Pooling? Shouldn’t even be replaced for high end collectors UNLESS it’s proven to deteriorate to severe chipping in the future.
If you think that you have the right to a replacement simply because there are small wrinkles around a couple posts that you only notice when searching for, after having read about it on Pinside, that’s your right. But good luck with that.
This isn’t a Rolex or a Masseratti we’re talking about.
I would much prefer to hold them accountable to better playing auto launcher mechs, for example.

they cost as much as a Rolex ... never said Pro owners weren't entitled...pooling is one issue that may or may not lead to big problems in the future, but chipping within a year of owning a machine is ridiculous and should be replaced....Stern charges a big premium for an LE model that is basically bling as the play field/mechs are exactly the same as a premium.....with that comes expectations that that bling does chip or start falling apart in 6 months, and yes that includes the play field.

#1903 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Great point!
“If a game is expensive, we automatically get to amend the warranty in our favour!”
This is the ridiculousness that is Pinside.
Stern (I believe?) has stated that they will review play fields on a case by case basis. But Pinsiders are upset that Stern hasn’t made a public announcement, over an issue that so far seems to be (in most of the cases) cosmetic, only?
I’m glad we could hash this out to nail down everyone’s expectations of Stern.
Seems reasonable.

Listen these are complicated machines that are priced accordingly....nobody wants to modify anything...all customers expect is a new game with no flaws....its really that simple....if Stern knowingly ship a game with flaws than they should warrant the product. Clearly they are aware that the product is substandard as they've added washers to the games. Pooling is a more complex issue as most owners wouldn't care about a little pooling, but their concern is whether or not this leads to chipping once the game is out of warranty, which is a valid concern. From the tone of your messages u think that a little chipping is perfectly fine and the new normal. Thats great u feel that way, but I highly doubt many people would agree with you. Do you know of any cases where Stern has replaced a play field due to chipping?

#1905 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Yes, by all means, let's flood the used sales market with defective play fields at a discount. /sarcasm

This is what I'm doing right now. I have open and regular communication with JJP and my distributor about my case, and I'm playing the hell out of my Wonka in the mean time. I'm waiting patiently for them to come up with a solution for me. But....
*tick tock tick tock*
My patience has limits.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

At some point thats exactly whats going to happen....why should the NIB owner take the entire financial hit due to the play field issues? Its crazy to me that some on here think thats ok....defies logic

#1908 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yes
They have in the past done the populated pf replacement thing. They send you a box with pre-paid shipping. You disconnect and send your entire pf.
They take off your parts and repopulate a brand new pf and return it to you. You connect your new pf.

I'm aware they've done this in the past (i.e. GB fiasco), but have they done it recently due to play field chipping / pooling issues? The perception is many have contacted Stern with this issues and I haven't heard of one case where Stern has provided a response...in the eyes of the consumer a "no response" is basically a big FU....

#1910 4 years ago

A nice thing...they sold you a product with known issues that they tried to mask with $.10 washers....Small versus big chipping...who defines that? Do either really affect game play...probably not, but they look like shit and Stern has made bank on selling games with cosmetic improvements. I understand its expensive for Stern to address this issue, but thats not the owners fault.....your logic is completely flawed

#1924 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Thank you for clearly demonstrating your level of knowledge when it comes to pinball manufacturing.
(Your pinball company just went bankrupt FYI)
-your Pal, “Gary”

Now it makes sense....you work for Stern....got it

#1942 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Try to keep up, Utah.
There’s this thing, called “the environment”. And as of late, companies are no longer allowed to use super harsh chemicals because it’s bad for this “environment”. So things have changed.

Here is the thing: just because YOU deem it to be reasonable to expect something, doesn’t mean that the manufacturers are in agreement. In this case, they aren’t. See the warranty if you want evidence.
Your expectations of what constitutes acceptable for a new product from a pinball manufacturer is pretty unrealistic in today’s world.
I LOVE the fact that this has come down to some Pinsiders stating that they demand play field perfection. It makes the discussion so much easier to comprehend. One expectation is not equal to what’s being offered. In this case, the manufacturer has put their commitment in writing. Yours is known only to you and may be subject to change at anytime without notice.

Your absolutely correct....Stern clearly has no interest in standing by their product anymore...the good news we now know this is the case, and can make an educated decision on whether to buy or not buy their product. I for one will NEVER purchase another NIB game from Stern (and I've bought several), and will tell everyone I know what to expect if they do decide to pull the trigger. These manufacturers already have it made on warranty issues as they heavily rely on operators and home owners to provide all the labor to fix their products....I'll just take my business to the secondary market, and buy their product at a discount

#1944 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

worked for "where's the code?"

That would be pretty impactful if u got 200 people wearing those shirts I'd pony up for that

#1958 4 years ago

Its crazy that Stern who is the gorilla in this industry doesn't put forth the resources to make what many would argue is the most important part of the pinball game....everything else is relatively easy to change out and many are common components used for 20+ years....instead their solution is to change the warranty and continue to put out shit play fields....

#2012 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I have put in two tickets with JJP over the past two months. Besides the automated reply of "we got your ticket", I have had ZERO contact despite several replies from myself to them.
I just spent NIB pin money on a restored ball bowler. Suck it bitches.

instead of buying the latest dinosaur game from Stern (JPLE) I purchased a Galaxy Fire electronic Dart board and a Miracle on Ice Super Chexx Pro bubble hockey game.....and saved $1500

#2051 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Where did you buy the dart board from?

https://www.arachnid360.com/2019-commercial-products/g3-fire/ ....this is the one I bought....its awesome and the kids love it....

#2052 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Now thats friggin appropriate....and funny !

#2077 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is it more fun with four people or two? Im going to guess four?

Its great with 2 or 4 people.....4 is better, but 2 is almost as fun....the only downside is u need someone to play with

#2078 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Only reason I haven’t is that my kid is having a dinosaur-themed birthday party in late October. But I’m not sure I can swallow a defective $7k decoration.

Aside from the play field falling apart Stern does make a fun Dinosaur game....

1 week later
#2185 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Have you waxed your game? The pics by the lane guide don't look like other issues - kind of looks like it could be dried wax???
Also, the shooter lane wear is typical of an unprotected shooter lane on Stern's - it's been that way for a while now (like 5 years). They need to be protected with a protector or mylar unfortunately, as the ball comes out of the trough with a lot of force.
The final other pic is hard to tell what's going on.

Shooter lanes shouldn't look like that on a game this new....whether u have a protector or not...

#2187 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I agree - but it's been that way for about 5 years.

Maybe with Stern, but not with my JJP or CGC games...

#2205 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Exactly. Automotive clearcoat has to be flexible but tough. It does it's job for the most part in all kinds of extreme weather and in most cases for years. And some how they figured out a way to make the paint stick.
With pinball it is clearly a case of being cheap, and or not doing the proper research with whatever they are doing now.
If this was the automotive industry, there would be no screwing around. A recall would be ordered or possible class action lawsuits would be filed.

Yep...spot on....I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't hold Sterns feet to the fire....they should be held accountable

#2220 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Has Stern refused any returns? (Honest question)
Curious to know if anyone has been refused a return and if so, what condition their playfield was in.
It’s my impression that they are replacing these defects, despite not being listed in the warranty.
Interested in hearing if that’s not accurate.

really? so Stern has started replacing JP play fields? I haven't heard that

#2223 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I specifically asked if anyone had been REFUSED.
Still waiting is not the same as refused.

I'm more interested in action....to date there has been ZERO....maybe that will change, but I doubt it....

#2226 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

So cars, hockeysticks, industrial floorings etc are not having The same environmental restrictions that pinball has.
Have to call Bull on that one.
Incompetence is the Word. Environmental is just a really bad excuse.

Odin hit the nail on the head....its just another example of Stern being really cheap....having play field issues is inexcusable for a company of that size....they simply went to a cheaper supplier and they got what they paid for....shitty play fields...

#2304 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Is it possible Stern are letting the clock run down?
Maybe keep quiet in the hope warranties expire, damage limitation.
Perhaps address the situation later down the line.
For example:-
- Customer who reported new pin with bad case of chipping soon after delivery - may have best chance of resolution by getting PF replaced
- Customer reports pooling but no chipping - no action taken by Stern. If pin then chips a year or two later - Stern put this down to wear and tear with no further action.
Just a thought

I wouldn't be surprised...

#2318 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You’re not alone, im going on 2 months without a response. I called my distributor yesterday to have them follow up on my IMDN Premium. I got two games that i want to buy right now (JP and Elvira 3) but im not buying anything until i see what they are going to do about my IMDN game. All of this pooling and chipping has ruined the NIB experience for me.

Pretty shitty customer service when an issue goes unanswered for months....zero chance I would do business with a company who doesn't care about its customers. All they need to do is communicate that they are still working on a resolution, but no communication is bad business.

#2324 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Anyone taking bets on how many titles they release before the first person receives an adequate solution?

Stern doesn't really care about pooling or a little chipping....its their new normal...they figure they'll wait long enough and enough owners will get frustrated and sell off their machine at a loss.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

its only the new normal if we accept it.

Clearly many people are fine with it, which doesn't bother me one bit (its their $)...I for one will never buy another NIB game from Stern. I'm fine with increased pricing, but I have serious issues with shitty quality, warranties, and customer service.

#2355 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Yeah, Stern. So many people were involved and at such high levels within the company that I had a high degree of confidence that they were committed to getting everything right.
I had good dealings with JJP in the past. Hopefully they will take care of you as well.

Are they providing the labor to remove your play field and install the new one?

#2357 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Yes. The distributor will be bringing it over, installing it, and sending the old one back for me.

Good to hear...

#2440 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you want a PERFECT GAME, get it restored by HEP or the like.
As i gaze amazingly and my gorgeous restored WH20 and near perfection, its just not reasonable to expect Stern, a mass produced game, 10K+ per year to be able to reach the same quality without costing MUCH more. Get it?

Nobody expects perfection + its subjective....what they do expect is that a $9K machine doesn't start falling apart in first 6 months. My real issue is how Stern handles these issues....not responding for weeks/months on these issues is really bad customer service, and frankly arrogance. At some point it will bite them in the ass

#2447 4 years ago

I've purchased many NIB games, but due to the FACTS (shitty customer service) have stopped purchasing anything new from JJP or Stern. I'm perfectly happy buying on the secondary market or waiting for CGC to release their next game.

#2454 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There you go Ptown, I’ve stated repeatedly over the years that is the smart way to do it!
And btw, my MBRLE is a beautiful awesome machine so I agree on the CGC next game

u got that right....MBRLE is incredible....

#2514 4 years ago
Quoted from Talon2000:

Few hundred more plays and it just get's worse. Still no word from Stern, phone calls and emails. Still waiting.[quoted image][quoted image]

Gotta love Stern customer support....best in the business How hard is it to respond to its customer base....

#2583 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Unacceptable.

Sterns new norm...get used to it....u roll the dice on all these new games....

#2598 4 years ago

Just had family over playing my Super Chexx. Super fun for everyone. My sister in-law never played one in her life. After two games and some pointers she was loving it.

zero chance you'll have pooling rock solid game

#2629 4 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

And this is why I have not pulled the trigger on recent new Stern/JJP games. I decided to pick up a HEP TAF instead as I'm 100% confident the play field will not fall apart. Until folks stop buying defective games, the behavior will not change.

Not sure why u feel this way...Stern just hired a QA director...problem solved

#2640 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

To each his own brother or sister.
JPLE is one of those pins you can’t wait to get home and play.
I’m having a blast and it’s NOT falling apart
And maybe after 100,000 plays I’ll send it to HEP for a restore

At my pace it would take 200 years to get to 100K plays

#2647 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Like I said. Which ones?
I don’t drain on my JPLE. Maybe “play better” or the setup is bad
If you can decide you think a pin sucks after 15 minutes of playing it then you must have been high

JP has a great layout, and is a really fun game....I personally don't care for the animations or cartoon dinosaurs. I really wish Stern would have secured more of the license, but hey thats just one mans opinion.

#2658 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That’s why you don’t need to ever worry about pf issues
Case closed

Amen....always nice to get closure

1 week later
#2728 4 years ago
Quoted from JWP72:

UPDATE: Stern is sending me a brand new unpopulated playfield

why wouldn't u get a fully loaded play field? sounds like u had serious issues so why settle for an unpopulated play field?

1 week later
#2795 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m enjoying my Elvira and the Playfield looks perfect so far with almost 800 games on it

u need a life...800 games on a new game....I don't have 800 game plays on my entire collection

#2808 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

I owned a American Pinball Houdini briefly and sold it to buy another due to a playfield flaw. I Contacted them and they never replied or acknowledged the issue. Same problem of clear coated binding to whatever is above it eventually cracking/damaging pf. Piece chipped off and I reglued it.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

sounds like American Pinball and Stern took the same customer service class....

#2810 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

The last two tickets I submitted to JJP weren't answered. The first one was submitted ~ a month ago. The second one was submitted 3 weeks ago.
Nothing. NADA. ZIP. Sales on the other hand has never been a problem.
I've given up on asking for any support from them. I own this machine lock stock and barrel. Pinside is my support channel now for this game.

They actually responded to my ticket about my wire form (took them 2 days)....all they told me that its jacked up on most games and they have none in stock.

#2814 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

What's wrong with the wire form and which pin?

JJP POTC LE....my right wire form is out whack...it works, but the basket sits up about 30 degrees. Apparently its a common problem, but I've seen first hand several that don't have the issue. I considered bending into shape, but hesitant if theres no replacement.

#2816 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

There's a lovely trade called metal fabrication. Either try to bend it and if you screw up then have them fix/redo it. Either way you're good to go. Obviously JJP isn't going to be of any help here.
I'm never worried to try/do anything. There's always someone to fix what I may break.

I hear ya...I'd do exactly that if it didn't work properly. Its just an eye sore (to me at least).

#2920 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Shame on you for assuming all of us "slackers" roll over when we receive less-than-perfect Stern products. The reality is many of us reach out to our distributors and Stern to highlight and/or resolve issues. The process is imperfect, but so is pinball. If the process is so burdensome, folks should simply avoid purchasing new games and stick to buying older games that don't suffer from the newer "issues".

Like you stated I stick to "older" games.... perfectly content with never buying another NIB Stern game. Their arrogance, and lack of customer service is complete BS....buying nice HUO games resolves the drama and risk of buying a NIB Stern game. Newly released titles can always be had within 6 months of initial release...just requires a little patience

#2923 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Why can't they sell it? Let them eat it, it was their screw up.
People are seeing pooling issues out of the box. You can't tell me someone didn't spot it when doing QC. Going even further, mine started chipping in about 50 plays.
Are you telling me Stern doesn't put a few hundred games on a couple of these machines and then run them through QC again? If so, whoever is doing QC over there needs to be fired.

Totally agree.....they should take back these games, and sell as refurbished games and take the hit.....

#2927 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Agree 100%. I've dialed back my NIB purchases to limit my exposure/risk. Waited 1 year to pick-up a BM66 and was rewarded with new code, a nicely modded flawless example, and saved over 1k OTOH, I'm taking a chance with JP2 since I've played it on location and love the way it shoots. So while patience can pay off, I'm still a sucker for the adrenaline rush of a great shooting game (which Stern still delivers on, despite the build quality missteps).

Awesome...patience in this hobby typically pays off. I don't care how great a game is someone out there is ready to sell it, and in most cases they've upgraded, dialed it in, and u still save a little money. I just picked up a loaded HUO POTC LE with less than 80 game plays....game was perfect. All I did was stop by Cliff's house and picked up protectors, installed, and called it good.

#3043 4 years ago
Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Many merchants who accept visa and mc won’t accept American Express as the fees charged to the merchant are much higher.

Then don't buy from them....I buy everything on my Amex...bought a boat earlier this year....in my experience they provide great customer service

#3094 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you haven't heard that Christopher Franchi interview it confirms again what we all know.
Gary and crew think they are so smart seeing how much they can squeeze out of a game and keep the prices sky high.
I would be thinking about how we could squeeze MORE in even if i had to raise prices to meet our margins. The "wealth effect" and great economy is not going to last forever! Because when the shit hits the fan, and it will, people will remember how they were treated.
The customer first should be what they think about every day. How can we keep delivering a greater pinball experience to our customers?
I think most designers, coders and everyone else that work at Stern are of that mindset and care passionately.
It's Gary and his partners grabbing the short term gains, and at the same time its setting up for longer term pain. That +25% production can turn around to -25% in the blink of an eye when you take your customers for granted AND then other factors start to against you like the economy.
I think you made the 100% right move getting that MMrRE

and its coming....sooner than later...

#3136 4 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

I am done with NIB overpriced games. There is no way to justify these prices for what you are receiving. These distributors are make over well $1500 on every game sold.

Are they really making $1500 a game?

3 weeks later
#3237 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Two JJP pins down and out at level 257.[quoted image][quoted image]

whats your point? pins go down all the time

2 weeks later
#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Sigh![quoted image]

Its crazy that Sterns build quality is so poor.....I think their penny pinching is starting to catch up to them.

#3530 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

We will see, I went with a large distributor so maybe that matters. Either way, if they do nothing I won’t buy another NiB from them again. I bought three this year and I know I’m small potatoes but it’s not bad for just a huo.
Luckily it’s not super visible as long as it doesn’t get any worse. It’s behind the angle.

probably not...what probably works the best is continuing to pester stern to do the right thing. I would be relentless if I was u

#3551 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Stern has the best manufacturing plant in the business by a long shot. Yet they currently make the lowest quality pins in the business. Think about that for a minute. The low quality going out the door isn’t as simple as the QC dept missing things. The cut cost for larger and larger profits is absolutely deliberate. They know exactly what they are doing and don’t seem to care what their customers think. Money is king. Stern just wants it’s customers to think about theme and code. Of course they do. Those two things are subjective and no real answers can be reached. Stern doesn’t want to talk about materials used now compared to the past or number of mechs/features now compared to the past. On those subjects real answers can be reached because it is not subjective.

Spot on....

#3647 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

JJP is seriously screwed up to have one of the owners and face of the company personally promise new play fields to a number of its most important customers and then fail to deliver after many months with no real update or commitment. Combined with the major deterioration in their in-house tech / parts support, they seem to be in serious business trouble or all Jack's proclamations about valuing their customers is BS.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think JJP is running out of gas....my bet is investors have thrown down the gauntlet and said either make money or were gonna sell off your assets...

#3669 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

And yet at the end of the day no widespread dimpling problems with Spooky, American or CGC.
Funny how that works.

None of the JJP games I've owned ever had dimpling like that...they dimpled, but nothing like that....my Stern AC/DC, and Met had excessive dimpling

#3678 4 years ago

The only games I've ever owned that had no dimples was my TZ and my LOTRLE.....shocking, but both those games had zero dimpling...all the others dimple, which is fine...

#3832 4 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Interesting thread.
Everytime I end up linking to a thread that references dimples I run down to the basement and check my playfields looking for dimples and I can never find any. All my Stern pins are HUO (Xmen, TWD, Metallica, Spiderman LOTR, Tron LE, Iron Man) and none of them has any visible dimpling. Ball swirls yes but no dimpling. My TZ, Shadow and even my very well routed Tales From The Crypt do not have any dimpling. The Tales has wear on the scoop and the Shadow had a worn (now repaired) sanctum area. The Tales even has a few dings (not golf ball like dimples) in the playfield and the Xmen even has a little bit of wear around the edges of the Blackbird scoop - but no signs of dimpling (from any angle). My TWD has dimpling on the outer magnet ring but NONE on the wooden playfield - weird but true. My HUO games don't get a lot of play - my IM for example has about 3,500 games and my Tron about 2,500 games. My MET (most played in my collection) would have about 5,000 games.
While I do agree that all wooden playfields must dimple to some extent when impacted by a metal ball - not all games/playfields are created equal because I have seen examples of games where the playfields look very dimpled after fewer than a 100 plays. If you have to put your nose to the playfield and use a magnifying glass to see dimples then they really don't matter but if the playfield art looks pixelized from the light reflecting from all the dimple faces from 3 feet away (while playing) then I can understand why those aesthetics matter to many people when they have just spent thousands of dollars on a new pin.
Dimpling doesn't really affect gameplay so it can be overlooked by many people but not to everyone. It is a matter of opinion as to how serious the issue is but that is the purpose of a discussion forum. We shouldn't be taking a difference of opinion as a personal rejection.
I personally hate the look of a dimpled playfield where the dimples are easily visible when playing. However, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game when I am playing someone else's but I wouldn't want to own it if I had the choice of a nicer looking playfield. Why do some playfields scar easier than others? I don't know but they just do. Why does it bother some people more than others? I don't know but it does. I accept that.
Now playfield chipping and ink-lifting (on new pins) - well now that is a bigger issue.
Keep on flippin folks!

Sounds to me like your games get a shit load of play ....I don't have 2500 game plays in my entire collection The only games I've owned that never dimpled were LOTR LE, and TZ.....dimples don't bother me much, but Stern games dimple far more than any other game I've owned. That being said all my CGC, and JJP games have dimpled to some degree.

2 weeks later
#3961 4 years ago

The moral of the story is don't buy anymore NIB games from JJP until they've proven that they've addressed all their play field issues. All these latest JJP problems have shown is that the manufacturer doesn't stand behind their product because they can't afford to do so. Paying top dollar for a new game and have it fall apart is total BS. Unfortunately the distributor is stuck in the middle and can't really do anything about it. Just be patient and buy a nice used game that u can inspect prior to purchasing.

#3962 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Lo and behold... I just found two emails from Goetz to support my side of things...
1. Email after the pooling was noticed where he alludes to 'you said JJP would take care of me' - no specific mention of anything other than that. No mention of a populated PF. You'd think he'd bring that up then huh ? Remember you offered me this or that ? Nothing. Just interested in starting the process of a claim. He actually asks for an unpopulated playfield, then says if after the swap that one is bad, he'll then ask for a populated one. Funny that's not how you're saying it went down now are you ?
2. Most importantly and really eye opening to me :
Another email where he emailed Jack and I with his 'deal' for JJP - Sell him an upcoming game (he assumed it was GNR) - sell him the CE version at the cost of the LE ($ 3,000 discount). He goes on to mention he would 'be quiet', nobody would know, etc... EVEN offered to sign an NDA and nobody 'online' would know other than he got an unpopulated playfield he was happy with..
JJP obviously refused. This guy is a player folks - he's lying to you all to stir the pot to cause shit for JJP - willing to drag people like me into the mud who tried to help him. Tried to strongarm JJP with a veiled threat to get what he wants. And now makes up this 'populated playfield' story to stir the pot to shit on JJP and for some reason throw me into the process. He also tried to screw all the rest of YOU too by working a secret deal for himself that nobody would know about and when that tactic didn't work then he comes here to make lies up.
THIS is what is at play. Dirty pool.
Maybe go read your email of 9/5/19 and 9/9/19 Geotz then maybe you can come back on here and report back.

sounds to me like he's pissed that his new game that he paid top dollar for showed up with all kinds of play field issues, and all he did was try and resolve the issue in a creative way....I'm not blaming you in this mess, but how can u not be disappointed in JJP's response.....its total BS....

#3977 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

At the time when he asked - the situation was that the thought was or it was fact that the posts were sharp and cutting the clear and they were sending out the post kits as a 'fix'. There was no major issues at that time... so yes, my feeling would always be the company will take care of issues that may occur as they all try to. Yes, granted AFTER that the PF issues were then found to be more severe and more widespread and involve multiple companies. At the time there was a kit fix for what was seen as a minor issue with some, not all games... so my answer was legit given the timing / current situation. All these companies want to do the best and yes that's my feeling is that they ultimately do want to take care of the customer in the end as best they can.
You are welcome to come to my office and you can read the emails from Goetz I allude to. It's nothing short of extortion - tells JJP give me what I want I'll stay quiet and I'll sign an NDA - does that sound like it's cool to you ? Has any one else in this thread done that ? He didn't get what he wanted so he upped the ante and somehow brought me into it and tried to get JJP to give him something he wanted. Say all you want about the PF issues, and I won't disagree with much there - it's a bad situation for everyone. There is no 2 sides to this story, I the conversation as he stated never happened, the emails prove it. It was made up to put pressure on JJP, involve me, and also pull the wool over every single one of you. You all should be pissed off because if you think this behavior helps the situation for everyone one bit, you're wrong.
I understand you are mad I've never discounted that in any capacity... The whole point of my posts had to do with the lies stated about me after my hand was forced. I don't disagree with the PF situation one bit - I'm not defending or calling anyone wrong on that. But the manner in which this one person tried to extort the company, lie about me, and used Pinside and all of you for his benefit, is wrong. Period.

I respect that your in a difficult position as selling games is your livelihood, and I'm sure you provide support to the best of your ability. I commend the guy for being creative in resolving the situation. I'm sure if you paid $9K+ for a new game and it was crap you would be pissed to. Its a fine line being a distributor as u need to take care of your customer without pissing off JJP, and potentially losing the ability to sell their games. I stand by my initial comments (which doesn't help U) in that people should stop buying NIB games until they either fix the problem or guarantee the customer that they'll stand behind their product. The later will never happen unless sales plummet to the point they have no choice....in my mind what we've learned from both JJP and Stern is that they make great games, but they don't stand behind their product.....as a consumer its far too risky for such an expensive product.

#3980 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

When JJP had issues with the first run of Wonka’s that shut down production!They fixed the issues and restarted production and me and as far as I know other owners have been very pleased with the latest run.No pooling no chipping no ghosting Problem solved

I love their games, and have owned all except Wonka. The only one I have left is my POTC LE....I see zero reason to ever buy another NIB game from JJP or Stern...in my market nice used ones come up for sale all the time.

#3982 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I give up...
I remind you I only got involved in this because I saw Goetz post that he didn't get his playfield yet. He didn't ask me about it, nothing - I saw the post and I emailed him and Jack to get a status update. From there the lies about the populated playfield started, months after everything started with his claim. I did above and beyond - I inserted myself into the situation to try to HELP him.
To say that he is not wrong to lie here to everyone to extort the company with the deal of give me a $ 3,000 discount on the next game (where was his outrage then - he still wanted another JJP game ? ) with the promise of I'll stay quiet, I'll tell everyone I got an unpopulated playfield and I'm happy with it, etc... Its WRONG. Period. It's wrong to each and every one of you who are looking for adequate solutions. Would you be so kindly about him if you found out today that he got a $ 3,000 discount and you didn't or would you be roasting him ? Please... JJP did the right thing to rebuff him even though it would have been easier to pay him off and shut him up.
This guy is a player and I proved it - he tried playing JJP, he tried playing me, and he tried playing every single one of you ! I did what is in my control as a distributor I put the customer on the path of resolution and I checked later to see if I could do more for him on my own.
Being upset with the PF situation and how he went about it are two separate things..

I can understand your upset if someone bends the truth. What I'm curious about is what you think JJP should have done? replace the game? new populated play field? or just get a new play field?

#3998 4 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Joe just proved to this community that this dude lied to everyone, from his distributor, to the manufacturer, to everyone on Pinside. Not to mention tried to work backroom shady deals to benefit himself, and screw the rest of the buyers. It's mind-blowing to me that anyone cold overlook that, or still continue to point any fingers at Joe or Jack. As far as I'm concerned, he has shown that he's an untrustworthy selfish snake, who deserves nothing. I don't care what version of what game you bought, You play by the same rules as the rest of us.
I bought my first game with Joe late last year. a MBR Standard Edition, or whatever they call the lowest model. Joe had no reason to do me any favors or trust me more than anyone else. When I told him I needed a week or two to move around some money and pay in full, he just sent me the game and told me to start operating it, so i can start getting some income from it. He had no reason to do that, other than to be helpful and make an impression. And he took a risk that I may keep the game and never pay him. Needless to say I made it a point to get him paid immediately following.. Integrity, Honor, and Trustworthiness are all that matters in business. Him and I showed each other that we possess these characteristics. I can say confidently that this Goetz character does not. Period.

Yea maybe...I learned a long time ago that there are 3 sides to every story. I'd like to hear from the distributor on what he thinks is a realistic resolution.

#4004 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Someone has to buy it nib at some point for us to be able to buy a nice used huo tho lol...

True....its crazy to me how many people buy NIB without even playing the game....even with all these issues they still keep buying....

#4023 4 years ago

Go back and re-read my post. Focus closely on the "negotiate" part.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

Have you heard anything from JJP?

#4026 4 years ago

Like I said theres always 3 sides to every story....being a JJP or Stern distributor must be brutal when there are major issues

#4029 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

He could have said "no promises" and all would have been fine.

These distributors essentially have ZERO pull with the manufacturers....Stern actually has the cash to deal with these problems....JJP doesn't .... I'm sure if Jack was being honest he would agree that all these shitty games should be replaced...negotiating a discounted deal on another game is really a win win for both parties.

#4031 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

The moral of the story is ALWAYS buy used. That’s what I have started to do.

No doubt....I'll never buy another NIB game from JJP or Stern....possibly remake #4 depending on the title. I've had great luck with CGC

#4037 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

JJP should be holding their playfield manufactures responsible for the costs to replace all around. We do this in my industry all the time and the manufacturers understand this...

Totally agree although once they accept the play field and start adding components they probably own it.

#4045 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Lucid post. Just a few comments:
- One thing I've learned over the years is there is no such thing as preferred treatment! I've dealt with 6 distributors over the years and they all seem to be at the mercy of the manufacturer. In a sane world, the distributors would have more clout.
- I totally agree that unpopulated PF's are a really wasteful solution for 99.5% of the population. PF swaps are wildly complicated.
- I like your suggestion of a price break on a future game, but I would be a bit more aggressive. For example, a Stern Premium for the price of a Pro...which at Stern's BOM cost difference is a no-brainer!
In any event, sorry about the grief and hope something good comes of it.

I too liked the idea of asking for a discount on a future game....its a win win for everyone.....the distributor didn't like it at all....shocker he won't get his cut

#4048 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Eventually, distributors will be a thing of the past. When big bucks are on the line and the manufacturer will not acquiesce, they are rendered useless.

Honestly I don't know why they don't eliminate them all together

#4086 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Now you are being unfair.
As individual customers, we (DerGoetz, Who-Day, etc.) aren't in a position to fix this issue for the community. For example: Years ago, Stern provided a populated AC/DC PF to me correct the cloudy lower PF problem. Does the fact that I received a populated PF imply that I don't give a shit about other AC/DC owners? No. Should I have refused the populated PF until a community wide solution was developed? Of course not!
As a distributor, YOU have the leverage...the larger the distributor, the larger the leverage. The distributors are in the best position to "Judge" if a claim is valid AND monitor how many defective units were sold through their distributorship. At the moment, we have no idea how many defective PF's have been sold. If the issues are rare enough, I would imagine it would be easier to negotiate with Stern on resolving the issues.
Bottom line: Having been in this situation, it just seems like distributors aren't fighting for us (in general...not talking about you specifically).

I completely agree....this guy lost me at extortion....he can't be serious...the guy was looking for a creative solution so he didn't have to take the financial hit yet this knucklehead calls it extortion....all these distributors should be eliminated as they are completely useless

#4092 4 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

That's a great idea, call for the elimination of a guy who is actually helping people. I don't understand this thought process, get rid of distributors like Joe who are actually trying to help customers. Instead buy direct from the company who put out the bad product and isn't standing behind it....

Not saying he didn't try, but please explain how he helped solve the problem. By making a phone call to Jack? It sucks, but they have ZERO pull with manufacturers....I'm not saying he's not a good distributor, but when the shit hits the fan they have zero impact with the manufacturer....

#4094 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

As someone who has been purchased NIB since 2004, the general vibe I've gotten from Stern distributors over the years is this: Stern is fairly unresponsive to "us" (i.e. it's distributors), so if you have a serious quality issue, you need to deal directly with Stern.
Since a very large % of pin purchases are from remote distributors (and are unable to come to your home to fix something), the distributors end up being useless for most transactions. So, a pile of money is being made by the distributors with no insurance for selling the defective products to it's customers. To be honest, even when it comes to getting replacement parts, you are at Sterns mercy! Most recently, I've been waiting 6 weeks to get a couple parts for my JP2! (and need to follow-up with Chas today). Distributor unable to help expedite. A complete shit show, unfortunately.

I've been waiting on a POTC part for months....Apparently their still out of stock

#4095 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Joe is probably a decent guy, I dont doubt that a bit but if distributors have no influence on the manufacturer then why do we need them? I would just rather buy factory direct and cut out the middle man and have the savings passed on to me.

The only influence they have is to stop selling their products, which their not gonna do because its easy money.

#4122 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

It appears that people recognized pooling issues on JJP Pirates and it continued into Wonka. JJP initially didn’t much of anything as far as I can tell to rectify the issue or even acknowledge that there was a problem to even begin with. I imagine distributors had to be made aware of these issues as well, but that didn’t stop anyone from selling defective games.
I used to buy games from Jack when he was a distributor for Stern, but I’m very disappointed in how he responded and handled these issues. Definitely gives me pause when considering any future JJP titles. Pinball is expensive and this is unacceptable.

I got bagged on this earlier, but I think its 100% true. I don't think JJP has the cash flow to rectify these play field issues. I suspect they went to Mirco and made him pay for his shitty play fields so they had no out of pocket costs. JJP's solution to provide a "free" play field is a complete joke. Why should the customer who paid $12.5K for a NEW game have to spend his time doing a play field swap? or take the hit on the resale value of the game?

#4136 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I'm all for Jack making these owners whole, but with the low production of this game, we both know, no one is taking a loss on resale.

on this particular game your probably correct although its certainly not the norm....

#4139 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Agreed. I went over my BM66 with a fine toothed comb when I read about this stuff and luckily no issues. I do hope JJP figures something out for these owners. I would also love to get a new POTC, now that they seem to have their clearcoat issues figured out (according to statements from newer run Wonka owners).

I bought a used POTC LE that had less than 50 games on it. My play field has very minor pooling (u have to look really hard to notice), but zero chipping.

#4174 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

The quality controls in place are typically done at the supplier level per ISO standards. This is the case with FSS, (full-service suppliers) HOWEVER as you state- a quality metric is typically in place at the OEM level to VERIFY said purchased parts. This is how it's done in the auto industry (which I work)
I'd be interested to know HOW this was laid out in the SOW (statement of work) and MSOW (manufacturing statement of work) purchase order between JJP and Mirco. Since cars and trucks can kill people when quality is not adhered to, part rejection happens all the time here in the auto industry, and thus, would delay the launch of a new vehicle.
But, like everyone says here in this thread all along- It is JJP's obligation and duty to make sure they're not putting sub-standard playfields in pinball machines, and them and them alone to stand behind the ENTIRE product in the event of an issue. They, in turn, then go after Mirco for damages. I can't for the life of me understand why JJP wouldn't do an "entire playfield swap" program with all of us early buyers from the defective playfield batch.

Its pretty simple...they are running on fumes, and they can't afford it...I find it very telling that the distributor jumps on this forum to defend himself (which is fine), and then disappears when asked to answer a very simple question.....whats a reasonable resolution?

#4188 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

They cant afford to QC their products?? Not doing that will cost them a lot more in the future.
And if you meant they cant afford replacements.. it should be no cost to them. Their manufacturer should be giving replacements as they made defective products.

No they can't afford to pay for populated play fields....

#4190 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

How does anyone possibly know that they are running on fumes??
Pretty sure JJ is backed by several people with F#ck You money? Certainly they can afford to replace a couple playfields. They just don't want to.

F#ck you money doesn't exist....people with money at some point expect a return on investment. My guess is JJP ran the numbers and decided that it was far too expensive to do the right thing. Stern who clearly has the money has in the past replaced complete play fields. To my knowledge JJP has never replaced populated play fields....in my mind its no doubt a financial decision

#4191 4 years ago

Your delusional if you don't think its a financial decision

#4193 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

You said they can't afford it. I call bs. They just won't do it. Huge difference.

If JJP is under pressure to actually turn a profit (which has to be the case), then they can't afford it...could they do it and continue to lose money...of course

From an investors prospective its an easy analysis.....cost of replacing play fields vs lost sales due to pissed off customers....clearly they have chosen the later path. I don't agree with it, but thats my guess.

#4195 4 years ago

I mean whats it really cost to replace a play field.... shipping costs both ways + play field (which Im sure is free) + labor to move the parts over....Assuming they get the play field for free I bet its less than $1000, and they still won't do it

#4201 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's all about setting a precedent...which is why companies use NDA's. In today's social media world, manufacturers don't want to be on the hook for a range of aesthetic issues. If this were a mechanical issue that resulted in the game being unplayable, I'm sure they would take care of the situation. These aesthetic issues are very hard to quantify. I had a large gash in the SIM hole on my DILE after 50 plays. Cliffy hid the damage. Some folks in this situation would want a new, populated PF (which I think would be unreasonable). I "settled" the issue with JJP in a way that was fair to both parties. Not everyone is reasonable (and that's why companies worry about precedent and have customers sign NDA's).

I agree...I had a problem with an aesthetic issue with a JJP game that was clearly their issue. It took a lot of back and forth, but we finally agreed on a solution that was fair to both parties.

#4202 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Choosing the path of screwing your customers is a sure way to go bankrupt as you wont have them in the future.

I agree....especially in a niche business like pinball

1 month later
#4989 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL says the man who has never owned a Stern game they must be shaking in there boots

I've owned or own a lot of Sterns....I'll never buy another NIB stern until they first admit there was a problem, and two convince me they solved the problem. My guess is I'll never buy another Stern game....oh well

#4992 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

My Stranger Things Premium is perfect so far. No pooling/chipping. Dimples are minor. Playfield is beautiful. Game is a blast! Can’t wait to see where the codes goes.

you should find out in 2022 when they finish the code.

1 month later
#5064 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yep. Everyone has different expectations and situations. Even if we could all "stick together" and demand populated PF's, it wouldn't work anyway (especially with JJP, whose business isn't thriving).
All negotiations with pinball companies are personal. When I had a problem with my DILE PF, JJP offered an unpopulated PF or a topper. Took the topper and felt like they "took care of me". From my perspective, it's not about being made "whole", it's about getting a perk for the flawed game. Nothing is worse than feeling like you are being ignored...

I had the same issue with my Hobbit smaug....it was a cosmetic cabinet issue....instead of them sending me a new cabinet I negotiated for mirrored game blades, and two sheets of invisiglass

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#5213 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One great thing about buying used is you can see the game first versus playing the NIB quality lottery. It's sad but a nice HUO game can have less issues then a NIB one.

Buying a nice HUO game is the only way to go....NIB purchases are over rated...

#5223 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's going to be interesting to see if they even care. If they don't care I'm afraid they are going to fail. I would hate to see that happen. I want to be a customer again but I just cant do it right now until they change their ways and start standing behind their products better.

Stern and JJP are two entirely different situations. Sterns play field problems and lack of warranty service is just pure greed as they have the resources to either fix the problem from happening in the first place or address the problems in the field. Expecting customers to accept shitty play fields on a $8K toy is total BS. JJP has different problems. They simply don't have the resources to address warranty issues. So unless they "fix" the problem their SOL. Rolling the dice on these NIB games is way too big a risk in my opinion...

#5258 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Another problem, like Law pointed out, is what if Stern makes that license pin you have been wanting? Or finally makes the vault you have been waiting for...or JJP's GNR is amazing!
It will be hard to resist....but...must...resiiiiiiiii - "So, anyone know a good distributor in my area?"
Like Gleason said "You can think about it....but DON'T do it!"

Easy resist for me....especially knowing JJP abandoned POTC support....I sent them another email today asking the status and my response was .... going from someone who has owned most of their machines its a pretty bad sign when u get responses like this....

"Good Evening"

"Production for the needed wire form are not being produced at this time"

#5266 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

My Sterns and my Smaug have dimpling, but you have to look for it. I don’t have the huge cratering that some Stern buyers have been left to deal with.

I've had really good luck with play fields on all my JJP games....most dimple a little, but not nearly as much as my Sterns....although my LOTR LE has zero dimples...yes zero...

#5271 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

My Pirates does.

interesting as mine has none....although I only have 120 game plays....its amazing to me the crap shoot buyers get with these play fields.

#5272 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

The good old days!

Yep....

#5274 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well that’s why you have no dimples, you haven’t played it.
I put that many games on a machine every weekend.

Well yes and no....my Sterns had dimples all over the place after 50 plays....Mad respect for how many games u can play in a day.....I'm usually done after 5-10....I put 20 on my IJ over the weekend, and that was a lot

#5277 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Here's where Jack was asked about it at 2019 Expo. Fast forward to 52:25 into the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3174&v=vdNMZ2cjCV0&feature=emb_logo

Wow....what a smug arrogant response....

#5280 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

That is not the response you would expect from someone selling 10K toys?

Frankly its a joke....the problem is JJP can't afford to do anything when they have big issues so you roll the dice with their pins....Stern on the other hand has the resources to do something, but its a crap shoot on whether they will or not.....

#5282 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

And at these prices, it’s inexcusable.

As are Sterns as their LE's are essentially the same price as JJP LE's....

#5286 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

But with those, you KNOW you're getting sub par quality... so that's sorta nice, I guess. Certainty. And before you cry about this post, I'm not arbitrarily bashing them because I hate them. I've owned and love many stern, and intend to buy more. I just wish to god their quality was better.

Good point....

4 weeks later
#5345 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Well, I wasn't asking for a physics lesson, I was really asking whether or not you "felt" like the ball speed or play was any different, or that the path of the ball was being affected. You've indicated that you haven't noticed anything, so that's good.
However, you can apparently see dimpling from a playing position. For me, even though the dimples can be seen from certain angles, and in certain light, it doesn't bother me. But I can respect that it does bother a lot of other people. As far as I'm concerned, that's just how pinball is at this point. Even Kaneda had to admit that all playfields dimple, and to a point you just have to accept it and move on. Otherwise you'll drive yourself insane with OCD.
So is this normal? I don't know. I would say that it's the new normal, and has been so for a while now. Dimples don't bother me, it's insert problems, pooling, chipping, and premature wear through the clear and paint that concerns me.

Its the new normal for Stern games....not the new normal for my CGC or JJP games....they all have a few dimples, but not even close to the pic above.

#5472 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The wood they used on Whitestar/SAM games was harder with better prep. My oldest, most played Stern (LOTR) looks better than my KISS Premium with 300 plays. LOTR has over 10000 plays! And no, the dimples didn't "even out" over the past 15 years. My 2 TRON's and AC/DC also look great.
Guys, the bottom line is Stern's cost cutting explains the less-than-great PF's. Spike was largely about cost cutting. Now they apparently brought PF production "in house" to save $$. Since the market isn't growing much, they are focused on increasing margins all around to afford fancy diggs and lots of new employees (so they can crank out more games).
Wood grain, softer PF's with cratering are the "new normal". It's just a matter of degree...some PF's are REALLY soft and some are not-so-bad. If they cared about quality, each PF would be tested for density and adhere to a strict standard that they would publish. Unfortunately, they just don't care.[quoted image]

Spot on ...

2 weeks later
#5800 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I heard a rumor that if Who-Dey becomes a liberal and starts licking some serious culo, he will get his playfields. And then some.

Not worth the change ! He's rather eat the $ than fall to the dark side

1 week later
#5853 3 years ago

Those of us that have chunks missing from our games just have to give into the fact that Stern isn't going to change and they aren't going to fix anything. Why would they do the right thing when people are coming out in droves to buy TMNT? Why change your manufacturing process when people are literally throwing thousands of dollars at you.
I really, really want a Jurassic Park LE, but I'll be damned if they are going to get anymore of my money while I'm missing chunks out of my Catwoman playfield. I brought it to my distributors attention almost a year ago and I still have no resolution.
It's a shame to, because I really like Stern games and always had good service through my distributor.....until now.

I think your spot on....the reality is buying NIB games comes with a level of risk. Customers now have to assume that you'll get very little support if theres a significant issue with your game. Some distributors are better than others, but most wash their hands and defer to the manufacturer. Frankly I don't get it, but its our new reality.

#5859 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

There is very little a distributor can do if the manufacturer is unwilling to budge.
If the distributor believes they can milk a few more games out of you, maybe they would consider footing the bill.

I doubt it....the reality is distributors won't/can't really do anything, and Stern has shown its true colors.....everyone roles the dice buying NIB games from them

#5864 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I have to disagree. While all distributors are NOT the same and no they can’t make all issues go away a good distributor Will go out of their way to do everything they can to make you satisfied with your purchase. I have only had a few support calls with the (2) I use and have yet to not have them fight for a resolution. That’s why they are there! Any OEM can take phone or internet orders for sales. They Need a qualified distributor partner to meet or exceed your buying expectations. The good ones Are out there. JMO

Yea maybe for a replacement part.....for a play field or cabinet issue I totally disagree

#5867 3 years ago

It's on the right orbit and at the top of both slings. I just sent them another email. I started asking for help back in August of 2019 about 60 days after it was delivered and I noticed things falling apart.
[quoted image]

What was Stern's response? Let me guess they've been radio silent with the hope you'll just forget about it

#5889 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I agree with you 100%. A lot of these guys do nothing.
When you have a problem that requires an expensive fix, I don’t think it matters which distributor you buy from. Stern is hesitant to make it right and you know that the distributor, sure as hell, isn’t taking any money out of his wallet to make it right.
It’s very frustrating how this industry operates, especially when you take into account that each transaction is at least 6K.

Totally agree....on top of all that the manufacturers provide zero labor when fixing a problem. They rely on the talents of home owners to provide valuable services to help fix their machines. We all enjoy tinkering with our games, but when their brand new its a frustrating process. All these guys are great at sending u out a broken plastic, bad board, bulb, switch, etc....but when it come big ticket items like play fields, cabinets, etc they run for the hills.....their warranty and service is basically a complete joke.

#5900 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Agreed. Just go with the distributor with the best price.

Yep...no doubt

#5901 3 years ago
Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

When I purchased my last NIB stern I asked my distributor what I should do I were to ever have a problem with the machine. I was told that the distributor can do nothing to help the customer. He then told me if I have any kind of problems to contact stern directly. I would rather deal with stern directly anyways so I had no problem with his answer.

You have to respect his honesty....

#5994 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I think it is more the fact few people inspect a playfield to the point they will see a blemish like 2955 even 2908 most imperfections will never be seen by most people as they do not do an inch by inch inspection of the game

I see your point, but theres no denying Stern play fields are clearly the worst in the industry (by a large margin)..

#6005 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Its in a resurgence and Stern games a generally a blast, but why do they choose to shoot themselves in the foot?

Its pretty simple....they really don't care if they lose a few customers. In their mind sales are steady even with a a cheap product and terrible warranty. To them its worth the risk.

#6021 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh I see. I need to get that rewards program deal on my next game. It’s a good discount.

Good luck with that purchase....

#6052 3 years ago
Quoted from Saddath:

I don't care about the resell value. I just want to play a game that plays perfect. And i don't like protectors. So no way one is coming on my pins. It's not like games are worth that much less without one.
Of course chipping of the playfield should not be an issue. No way. But a protector isn't going to prevent that.
The protector can even damage the pf.

Really u don't care about resale value? Cliffy protectors are awesome .... I agree if your talking about play field protectors

#6054 3 years ago
Quoted from Saddath:

Yes i was talking about playfield protectors.
I got a cliffy in my shooterlane too. I think those look pretty decent and don't affect any gameplay.
And yes i don't care if the resell value is going to be a couple of 100s less because there is no playfield protector installed. It's not like a game is suddenly worthless. I just want to have the maximum of fun wirh my pins.

I think Cliffy protectors are great and really don't affect game play....at least on the 20 or so games I've installed them on

1 week later
#6162 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks like they went back to whoever was printing the LOTR playfields.

Huh? If thats the case they wouldn't have any issues as my LOTR LE play field is perfect

#6170 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Some of the worst printing I’ve ever seen on a playfield. Zoom in super close.

I never even noticed bad printing on my play field.....

#6178 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You have to get the zoom lense just like others are doing for TMNT. Take a good cell phone pic and zoom in. It’s easy when you do that. It’s very grainy on most of them. And maybe they had multiple vendors then too and you’re a lucky one.

I'll take your word for it...it looks fine to me....its by far the nicest play field I've seen from Stern...

#6221 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

The pins I’ve seen ( Wonka, April build, TMNT, June build, GOTG, June build) all have defects on pf’s. Pooling is rampant when looked for and one had art missing under a post (GOTG) on LH side.
If I’m buying a Jaws pin, I’m getting the fucking pf redone before game one. Wife said to me, do you really want that stess before you even play one game? I said not really.
I...may be passing on a Jaws title. Cannot believe I’m saying this. Yeah. I’m seriously considering not buying. Like, every game a friend shows me gets me 10% more no thanks.
One collector could care less. Other 4 I know? They’re done.
Just go Fuck yourself Stern for this if you won’t fix it. [quoted image]

Just buy a nice HUO game....all u need is a little patience...no reason to roll the dice with Stern

#6232 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Babysitting a JP LE; first time to put some attention to it and noticed significant wood grain in the playfield. My other Sterns do not look like this ... Thoughts? For LE prices I would expect this PF to look like glass, not ass.[quoted image]

Apparently the new normal ! Stern Play fields are all over the map....

#6257 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

They know it’s their own fault.
Instead of making a video with Steve Richie telling us how all of the bs quality issues are normal, pull your head out of your asses and fix them.

I can guarantee you they read these threads and know all about these issues. The reality is they simply don't care as sales are steady. I'm sure they've sat around a table and analyzed all the data and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if some customers aren't happy with their shitty quality....I'm sure management is trying to squeak out every cent in profit so they can sell the company....Gary's isn't getting any younger and I'm sure he's looking for an exit.

#6280 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

If I got a new unpopulated playfield, I think I'd be happy with that, assuming it's better quality than the first playfield. I would just play on the current playfield and not worry about it and then switch it out at some point in the future. If they made me swap and send back the first playfield, then that would be ridiculous. I feel like I've seen people say that Stern has wanted the first playfield back, but I don't remember for sure. It seems like their responses have been all over the map, from doing nothing, to sending a bottle of clear coat for touch ups, to sending unpopulated playfields, to even doing swaps. I get that it's a case by case basis, but there have been some really bad examples on here where they've done nothing, so it doesn't exactly instill confidence in buyers to know that you're likely SOL if you have issues.

zero chance I would agree to return the old play field....thats a ridiculous request. The reality is most won't bother doing a play field swap unless its years and years down the line, and they plan on keeping the game forever. Most just hope that the new play field makes up for the loss they'll take on selling game.

#6283 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Wich is a fair request.

Lets face it what percentage of people are keeping these games forever? Probably not that high so although their upset their game wasn't perfect what they really care about is resale value. By having an extra play field theres a chance they could recoup some costs....

#6286 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

All of these people criticizing those of us that care about quality and resale value would try to drive the price down on a machine with playfield issues if they were buying it second hand. If you get a game with defects, they might as well be charging you an extra $500 or $1000 when you buy the game because that's probably what you're losing down the line when you sell it.

Totally agree, but the reality is most games depreciate as soon as u open the box and if u combine that with play field problems the fiscal hit gets worse......I stopped buying NIB games when all these issues came up, and now focus on buying nice HUO games. Stern doesn't give two shits, and unfortunately JJP doesn't have the cheddar to deal with these issues.

#6292 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Your right I was going to buy a Areosmith but did not because of cabinet issues than was going to get a IM just when the chipping started so I did not buy a IM. The diefferance between me and others on Pinside is I do not whine like a bitch

Is it really whining? I think of it as a platform to make other potential buyers aware of not only problems, but how the manufacturers are dealing with the issues. I've learned a lot on this forum....primarily that Stern doesn't really stand by its products, and clearly is not customer focused.

#6295 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You could learn that just as easly from the people with bad games as you could with the people that do not buy Stern NIB but just come hear to bitch

Huh? u may not like it, but its hard for u deny that Stern doesn't warranty play fields and is a total pain in the ass to deal with....u roll the dice with every NIB purchase....and yes I've purchased many before they showed their true colors

#6304 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Sure. Be nice while JY64 can troll all the threads he wants. You were nice stopping at punk.

He tends to troll in the JJP threads although it appears he's never owned a machine....maybe we works for Stern ?

#6311 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

It does make me laugh that an unpopulated playfield is the typical resolution to problems. I mean that’s pretty much like a car company sending you a new gearbox under warranty and saying “good luck!”.
Even if you disregard the labour involved in removing all the parts, there’s going to be numerous things that need to be desoldered, removed in a certain order, etc and then reassembled on the new playfield, assuming it’s properly routed (are they?). It’s not a task for the feint hearted, and even your typical pinball tinkerer would be intimated I think.
Easy to see why owners see it as an offset to the depreciation loss from the original blemishes, rather than a project they will (or can) take on themselves. Just give it to the new owner and kick the can down the road.
Still, it is amusing that this is the resolution offered. Not a populated playfield ready to drop in, or providing an engineer to come and install it for you, etc.

Yea it basically a big fuck off from the manufacturer.....I mean whats a play field cost them....maybe $300-$400 ?

#6312 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

The distributor sales model is also outdated. They say it's to have someone there to help you out if you have issues, but I've found that Stern is easier to contact than my distributor, and so far my distributor hasn't been much help at all. If they're going to tell you you're out of luck when you have problems anyways, why not just sell everything directly and end the pretense?

Totally agree....I am sure some are better than others, but whenever i had a real issue they told me to call the manufacturer....

#6321 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Stern has a months long order backlog if the rumors can be believed. They really have no motivation to change, as what they are doing is working very well for their bottom line. Pinheads are still going to buy their games, flaws and all. Once another competitor pulls enough market share from Stern to cause Stern to have to consider cutting down their production quantities and staff head counts, you MIGHT see a new focus on quality. Until then, expect more of the same.

This is exactly right.....they won't change until the market forces them to do so....listen I'm happy that people buy these games sight unseen, and with all the quality issues. That way I have the opportunity to pick up a nice used one....

#6344 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Purchasing better wood (like CPR does) isn't very complex. Stern is the most capable pinball manufacturer on the planet. The PF issues that piss people off are the result of cost cutting. People pay up for LE's and don't get anything for the huge up-charge...paying up for vastly better PF wood just makes business sense. Sure, it would be great if Stern was able to upgrade the wood and eat the difference, but that ain't happening...

Stop....your making too much sense....

#6361 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Why would I own a game by a over priced company with shity themes

Everyone has an opinion...

#6363 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Although I think you are probably close in price I always find it funny how everyone knows the cost of everything on a pinball machine

Its really not hard to determine the retail price of play fields....the point is Stern's warranty on their product sucks, and its an act of god to get them to even replace a play field....

#6389 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I SPOKE TO THE FOLKS THAT RUN CPR...LAST WEEK, IN FACT, AFTER RECEIVING MY PARAGON PF FROM THEM. I'VE BEEN DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM FOR YEARS.
I ASKED THEM EXPLICITLY...THEY WERE VERY CLEAR...NOTHING ABOUT CPR PF MANUFACTURING IS SHARED WITH STERN. NADA.

I mean why would they share anything unless Stern paid them to do so....

#6416 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Bummer. I was under the impression that CGC had a reputation for quality, but I've looked closely at some of their HUO machines for sale and man they look beat. Dimpling on par with Stern if not worse.

Really? I've owned all the LE's and they've been great....some dimpling here and there, but nothing like the Sterns I've owned. CGC is awesome if you have a minor problem i.e. broke plastic, bad board, etc.....however we have seen before that they will run for the hills if there's a play field or cabinet problem...

#6424 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Considering it was 38 days ago when you first reported the pooling and shooter lane chipping, you may want to chill for a little while before calling out your distributor and Stern for “doing nothing”.
If they do decide to fix/replace it, it’s likely to take a few months, I would guess?

Really? why? looks like pretty shitty customer support....all these companies are pretty good with small stuff, but when it comes to a play field or cabinet they run for the hills. I think that people make other potential customers aware of this behavior. Yes it might take months, but ignoring customers who paid thousands of dollars for a game is total BS

#6463 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I think asking for a new spaceship is completely reasonable (and CGC typically has provided similar parts to other people here).
I think the chance of getting a new populated playfield is close to zero. MAYBE they would provide an unpopulated one, but I suspect that even that is a stretch.
I agree that the blemish sucks, but I suspect that you'll need to live with it, unless they are willing to take the entire machine back and replace it with another one (which they might do if it really has no plays on it).
Good luck, and please let us know what your result is.

Unfortunately I think your spot on....CGC is pretty good at providing spare parts, but when it comes to big tickets items they run for the hills.....

#6470 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

There's a few resellers here in Southern California that will argue that your game is worth way less than market value then immediately list it for several thousand over value and claim it's prefect. My dad told me he was interested in buying a game "in Fullerton" the other day and I said "I don't know what it is but it's overpriced."

Every market has a few of these sellers. Theres a guy north of me who is consistently selling games for thousands over market value. He claims he's made several sales, but I highly doubt thats the case (i.e selling an original MMRLE for $12K+). Apparently he's looking for that needle in a haystack....

1 week later
#6488 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Thinking about buying a Wonka SE direct from JJP since there are no distributors in Las Vegas. Does anyone know what percentage of playfields come defective?

My guess is its pretty small....Have you asked JJP directly? I'd be interested to see how they respond....

#6492 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Are you implying anytime you are contemplating buying something you should ask the manufacturer beforehand what percentage of that particular product will fail or be defective?

No...If I was buying a NIB game from JJP I would simply ask what they would do if the game showed up with a bad play field. Clearly they are not going to readily admit they have a defective product let alone provide u a percentage

#6502 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Oh yes. I agree with that. About 4 months ago in this thread I said the very same thing about jjp playfield quality being now fixed. But on the stern side, chipping and pooling is still very much happening to this day.

I tend to agree, but do we really know this? Although it appears JJP it making a few Wonka's they haven't really made any new games where as Stern has been pumping out thousands of games. I think the jury is still out on JJP. My hope is they've addressed their play field issues.

#6508 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

How long is Stern going to be able to get away with sending out unpopulated playfields? Does anyone know how many machines they have had to do this for, it feels like all of the last several have had one issue or another. There bottom line has to be taking a hit and they still appear to have done nothing to improve quality control.

If you haven't figured it out yet Stern doesn't care...its business as usual, and until sales drop off they won't change how they run their business.

#6519 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Do you have a Stern or JJP game that has a playfield issue? I think many owners are happy with the unpopulated playfield replacement. What would you start the class action over?

Are they? I'm sure some are satisfied, but my guess is most are not happy with just a play field.

3 weeks later
#6648 3 years ago

Impressive....nice to see someone is actually proactive in trying to fix these play field issues.

#6677 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

200 games in on a GNR LE at the shop. Both of the bottom sling posts are pooling, peeling, and chipping. Art came off on 1 side. Probably much easier to see and spot in person.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

wheres the damage? I don't see it

#6723 3 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

It's not a clearcoat issue. It's the ink not adhering to the wood when force is applied. The clear isn't pooling, it's just lifting up as air gets underneath.

This is exactly what it looks like to me....I don't see any pooling, but the clear coat not adhering to the ink

#6768 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Make sure that you include that JJP is treating their customers just as bad as Stern is when it comes to standing behind their playfields. Don’t make it an all Stern thing because it isn't.

Have they? It appears they at least sent out new play fields to Wonka and POTC owners....not saying thats an acceptable solution, but they at least did something....it appears Stern is great at just ignoring its customers

#6810 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Certainly not everyone, but based on some of your postings here I can understand Stern and your distributor firing you as a customer

How do you know this? Sounds like your just trying to stir the pot

#6894 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Your responses make more sense now. Imagine for a moment you had actually seen the overall quality of pins go way down over the years. Imagine for a moment actually seeing the value you get from your pins go down over the years. Prices shoot way up at the same time quality takes a nosedive. Imagine for a moment what others with more experience might think of the the current situation with pins.

Aside from the play fields what overall quality has gone down? I really can't tell the difference in quality from my JJP pins and my Williams/Bally pins? If anything the experience has clearly improved due to lightning, sound, and graphic display ....

#6932 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Very true, it is a mechanical bandaid, albeit better than a washer if it could be made...I dunno, it's just frustrating as I'm sure it is for the designers and builders...I'll live with the washer if thats the best they can do, or hope that that in combination of the new formula from Mirco does the trick...A nice official statement would help the speculation too...it's obvious they are now aware of it. Unfortunately, I'm guessing those 100-200 machines already made have older fields and that is a lot of $$$ for repair costs going forward for replacements, so they're probably choosing to handle the fallout on a case by case basis for those owners..on locations probably don't care, early home adopters may get a playfield with the new formula if they are affected...but it would be nice to have something stating the timelines of the new playfield Mirco formula going forward to get ahead of this in the PR/Panic department for those of us waiting on shipping dates

What would be nice is if JJP actually made an official statement about the problem or lack thereof. Otherwise were stuck with people like us theorizing about what the issue is. I'll never understand why these pinball companies are so secretive and quiet about on going issues and release of future games....just look at xbox, play station who are releasing new platforms yet both announced months before their released. Does it work for them...u bet it does...

#6940 3 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

I posted this on another Facebook group but it's appropriate here
It's a balancing act - if JJP blows the whistle and declares those fields defective, then all would be entitled - for lack of a better term, to a manufacture admitted defect which could be $$$...so a case by case solution is probably what they are doing while swapping in the new formulas and using the washers as a temporary bandaid like Stern did on Jurassic Park until they can either stand behind the new Spectrum formula or go further and pull the art back from the sling posts...either way they are walking a tightrope between hype/sales/consumer coinfidence/liability...so it sucks for us, but down the road it may be best to wait and hope for the best
To your point about the companies, I agree...It's like leftovers from the old Operator only years..but the times and especially Covid has shifted a large protion of the consumption to home collectors versus arcades. To operate like a secret society, good 'ole boys club reeks of a Used Car sales lot and shady practices. If you want to put out a lifestyle/collector brand at these marked up $$$, you need to get on board with what MS and Sony does in the hardware world and stand behind the product and release real Service Alert Bulletins and timelines. A little info goes along way for good faith and trust Back in the day of the Xbox 360 red ring of death...MS recalled all of their products and provided a way to send it back for a fix or a full replacement...Look where MS are today, instead of what could have become a PR nightmare, they are about to unseat Sony from the market share with the new Xbox Series X
and Mylar up

They act like its a big secret, but its really not....if the play field problem seems like a one off than fine, but if theres dozens of these machines hitting the market with these problems they have a big problem as I imagine many don't want to roll the dice on a $10-13K machine. For myself I have zero interest in that ... I'd rather buy one on the secondary market and save a few bucks. We all know nice used examples will start showing up soon....they always do

#6946 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, my R&M playfield is clearly and proudly marked Bader, and so far the quality blows this lessor garbage we see posted here day after day away.
It's like the stars perfectly aligned, not just the perfect theme and execution, but also the quality on this one.

Too bad its on that game

#6970 3 years ago
Quoted from Damen:

Were lucky their is guys like Chris and Ron setting the standard

So you don't buy any modern games or u purchase/disassemble and then send to Chris or Ron?

#6992 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At this point JJP needs considering finding a new playfield manufacturer or bring the process in house. The last thing customers of $7k - $12k+ pinball machines should have to worry about is playfield quality. This issue has affected runs of Dialed In, Pirates, Wonka, and now GNR. 100's of games have been affected over the years. This is a major issue and one that results in a negative impact on resale value. How many chances is JJP going to keep giving Mirco?

I mean how many play field manufacturers are there? They certainly don't want anyone Stern uses as their quality is worse....I highly doubt CGC would be an option as they have trouble keeping up with their own demand. My guess is Mirco is one of their only options unless they bring the work in house, which I am sure they have zero interest in doing due to the upfront capital costs. Its really shocking to me that this is happening to the third title in a row. Clearly JJP doesn't think this is an big issue, and is willing to roll the dice.

#7088 3 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Similar to the GnR threads. Someone says they got a GnR without pooling, and now people want to see pics as proof. I don't think I've seen any GnR pics without pooling yet.

Well most people post negative shit, but that being said I've seen a few with zero pooling....its clearly evident that play field quality is all over the map (Stern or JJP)

1 week later
#7182 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The issue was with first batch playfields I think issues have been resolved.

Really? Are you sure about that?

#7195 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Based on what, exactly? Hopes and prayers?
The complete lack of transparency and communication on these issues from JJP and Stern just adds gasoline to the fire. As history as shown, these issues come and go from one day to the next. There is no such thing as "fixed".
Until such time that Stern and JJP explain exactly what causes the issue, and exactly what they are doing to alleviate it they won't get my trust. They blew their "benefit-of-the-doubt" years ago on these issues.

Hard not to agree with you....its also hard to understand why after almost 5 weeks JJP can't provide an estimated delivery date on your machine

1 month later
#7432 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

OMG...I've bought 20 or so new cars over my lifetime and probably over 50 pins (many of them new). I don't need you to school me on the differences...the pinball warrantees are woefully short (you agree, apparently) and should be transferrable. Since I keep my cars 2-3 years max and never pass the mileage limit, I am basically always covered.
In practice, pinball manufacturers DO support second hand owners...I've bought many NOB games and have always been taken care of by Stern and JJP (since a NOB purchase doesn't have a distributor associated with them).

Not only are pinball warranties a joke they basically provide ZERO services. For 99% of the problems they send u a part and expect u to provide the labor. Imagine if a car company sent you a new engine and said "install yourself"....

#7438 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Imagine if they asked you to wheel your car to the factory service center on a hand cart! lol

No doubt, but I will say these pinball companies have it made. For the most part parts are relatively cheap. Whats expensive is labor so it kind of blows my mind they don't provide longer warranties for parts as they rarely provide labor unless its some rare situation. They are very fortunate that most pinball owners enjoy working on games and are good with their hands.

2 weeks later
#7514 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Because you spent 8 grand on a toy that should not have major defects

No doubt....the good news for JJP owners is it appears the play field problems on GNR have been addressed.

#7516 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Hell yes I bet Eric and crew are sleeping better!That playfield shit is a nightmare.

No doubt....I heard from my distributor that JJP now does a post test in an area under the apron prior to assembly....

#7542 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Quality seal on my GNR CE playfield. Both of my last JJP NIB playfields have been great. Wonka CE and GNR CE (as well as GNR SE I bought second hand).
[quoted image]

Is that under the apron? Thats consistent with what I heard from my distributor. JJP is basically testing every play field prior to assembly to make sure theres no pooling or clear coat issues.

#7544 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What would it take for you to give up this crusade?

He's actually not wrong....although I would say Stern is a far bigger problem than JJP. It appears JJP has been very proactive in solving these issues. Stern not so much.

#7546 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I have considered offering to do the Wonka PF swap for him to help him feel at peace with his game (and stop torturing us about it.)
I'm still considering it. But he's so abrasive and rude that it discourages me from doing charity for him.

Wow thats a great offer Have u done one before? I'm sure it would be fun, and an educational exercise if one had the time/room/and tools to pull it off

#7548 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Yup stamp is under the apron near the left hanger.

Awesome....its great that JJP is proactively addressing this issue

#7566 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think its fair that consumer expectations have changed at a much faster rate than pinball manufacturing. Some companies appear to be trying to catch up and be responsive others not so much.

This is totally true especially since Stern and JJP have both focused on selling to the home market. When they raise prices like they have expectations start to sky rocket.

#7568 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

That's BS. I started in the shop in 1997. I worked for a large Williams / Bally distributor that also ran an extremely big route. We would literally get in semi truck loads of pins that had to be unboxed, tagged, keyed, tested, and deployed. Sure, some had issues. But, it wasn't the norm. Back then, we also went through manufacturer training and knew our head from a hole in the ground when it came to repair. Today, alot of problems are caused by people that have no clue what they are doing and manufacturers that don't give a shit cause people keep buying.
Just my opinion, of course.

Not only that, but manufacturers rely on home owners to complete all the repairs. Yes they'll send u a new board or part, but they provide zero labor.

#7580 3 years ago

Don't do it. It's not worth the risk, at any discount. Buy used.

Totally agree with this.....I'd never buy a NIB Stern...they could give two shits about their customers

#7582 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Let’s sum up this thread
1.JJP has addressed playfield issues
2.Stern has not
3.zaphx is a good dude

I would agree with all three I'm a little surprised zaphX hasn't supplied an unboxing video he must be busy playing his new toy

#7601 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Confusing. The distributor Works for the OEM. Instead of letting them do what they Earned your business to do you would prefer to go on a personal crusade to hate all pinball sales? Seems odd to me. When I have issues with my car I don't feel sorry bringing my issues to the dealer?? Good luck with your mission whatever that is....

I've had issues with both JJP and Stern in the past. On all occasions the distributor pushed my issues off to the OEM. I'm sure some distributors are better than others, but I have heard repeatably that Stern is hard to deal with. I've had good experience with JJP on my issues although I was disappointed they stopped stocking wire forms for POTC. Maybe with their new found success they'll do a better job stocking parts.

3 weeks later
#7831 3 years ago

Preceisely. I don't need to have skin in the game with Stern to see they are fucking over their customers too.
Don't get me wrong. I love all of the new pins coming out. Guns & Roses is a real winner for sure. And Stern's latest Avengers pin is a blast. But I will never roll the dice on on a NIB pin, and I urge others not to do the same. Buy used, and examine what you are getting.

Simple problem to solve....in the future buy nice HUO games u can inspect. I stopped buying NIB games a few years a go, but rolled the dice with a GNR CE, which arrived in great condition, but its always a risk.

#7835 3 years ago

Agreed. The major downside with that strategy is, of course, we have to wait to buy our pins. We don't get to have the "new-hotness" any more.
And apparently waiting now also costs us more as the manufacturers randomly jack prices in the middle of a production run now too!

I learned a long time a go that patience is very important in this hobby. Its a really small market so buying and selling pins just takes time. I'm fortunate that I'm in a big pin market so theres always nice used games for sale....it just takes patience, which I understand is a challenge.

#7845 3 years ago

Well for one, properly replacing the defective playfields and making us whole would be a nice start.
Other than that? I'd say get through an entire run of 2 new titles with zero reported play field issues. That would put me more at ease again.
But don't take my word for it. You're already telling me I bitch enough as it is. Let someone else share their opinion and listen to them instead.

It sucks that u got a bad play field, and clearly its really pissed u off (I can understand that). Unfortunately the only solution for u is to never buy another NIB game, and either get out of the hobby or buy games u can inspect before purchasing. I think its safe to say that JJP and Stern won't change their policies anytime soon.

#7852 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

There is always more than one solution.

Not really. If you buy a NIB game you roll the dice. If u buy used u know exactly what your getting

#7861 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Kind of not always. My Beatles looked Beautiful out of the box. Same for 100 plays later. At 200 plays Many of the posts started pool bubbling up like lava. With so many HUO listings with (oddly) less then a hundred plays there is still a lot of risk for certainty.

I think there are so many listings with little play because many buy these games sight unseen and then realize its not their cup of tea. Not because the game is about to fall apart.

#7865 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Wasn't my point. Was just saying buying HUO vs NIB isn't always a guarantee/indicator it will not have issues.

Yea, but its a far greater guarantee than opening the box. You can at least inspect the game prior to purchasing.

#7883 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Can you please show me 5 posts with 5 buyers that Opened a NIB game and it showed pooling? Yes pooling, dimpling, and chipping Is real but it does Not (or Very rarely) happen when the box is open. Most every post starts the same, setup game it’s beautiful! Then weeks or even months later, OMG the Playfield is going to shit! I’ve had 5 games that all looked like art......for the first few months.

I can only go by my experience of buying dozens of nice HUO games.

#7905 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I am almost done replacing my playfield. Look how god damn warped this thing is! Like wow! Talk about unsavable side drains!
[quoted image]

Wow....u should send that picture to Stern

3 months later
#8507 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hmm, John Deere a 3 Billion dollar global company with support. Yeah pretty close example...

Whats your point? That JJP/Stern should get a hall pass because their smaller companies? The reality is these manufacturers have it made in that they charge a premium for their product yet provide terrible customer support. Just getting them to replace parts can be a challenge when we all know its the labor that costs most of the money to rectify the problem.

#8511 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody is saying that. But people keep making these apples and oranges comparisons of JJP - a small, young, struggling boutique manufacturer of niche products - to corporate behemoths that have been around for a century like VW and John Deere, and wondering why the level of support isn't the same. It seems pretty clear that these relatively tiny pinball companies don't have the same resources.

Clearly, but its all relative...I think most of us know that none of these "boutique" pinball manufacturers provide that level of support, but we do expect them to replace parts (i.e play fields) that fail (and then rely on owners to provide the labor). I don't think thats too much to ask for

#8513 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not. But stop wondering why they aren't eating billions of dollars to fix bad PR and why they aren't sending techs over to everybody's homes to fix issues. It's pretty obvious why they can't do the same things that VW and John Deere do.

I haven't wondered that for a second.....I have however wondered how they could ignore customers that have other issues

#8595 2 years ago

I'll believe the legitimacy of this "buyback offer" when I see offers to buy back other models.
What I DO believe is that the only reason this woks is because the CE is currently trending above MSRP in value. Had this game been a dud there's no way the manufacturer offers a buyback. Just my opinion.

I couldn't agree more....my guess is JJP won't buy back LE's or SE's, and at some point will offer a replacement play field at retail, cost, or for free....unfortunately its the only realistic solution

#8596 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Posted this in the other thread...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-is-jjp-still-making-games-with-faulty-playfields/page/16#post-6318098
There is a legal angle that JJP is pursuing, a very well known and tried and true one to companies in the same situation.

I agree, and its an easy offer for CE owners that are affected. The reality nobody in their right mind will take that offer (they know this) since the game is clearly worth far more than the retail price (even with a bad play field). The real question is are they offering this solution to the LE and SE owners.....hmmmm....my guess is they will not

#8598 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Unless this is more wide spread, then maybe they might. I am just wondering what we do with all this cattle once everyone is finished having a cow.

If its wide spread I don't see how they can possibly buy back all the LE's affected....makes no sense.

#8610 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

They only have to offer the buy back, doesn't mean people will take them up on it, and as most likely, those who really like the game will hang on to it. And if it earns well, operators are gladly going to take it off your hands at MSRP, or maybe even above it if it REALY earns well.
I would love to know what the split right now is on GnR between HUO and location play. How many LE's are being operated and earning as opposed to sitting idle most of the day at home?

My guess they won't offer buy backs of LE's.....If u had a game with a bad play field why not? Get all your money back (+shipping) and just pick up a used one down the line. My guess is 90% are at home getting little play versus being on route somewhere. Route operators probably don't care as much as home collectors.

#8619 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Agree with you. Been wondering why people wouldn’t take the buy back if offered? You have chipping and peeling of the playfield art and it looks pretty bad in the pics I’ve seen. Why would you want to keep that game? Is it because they think someone in the secondary market would really want to pay a higher price for this game? I wouldn’t touch it personally, mainly because it could get worse. Is it because they think jjp will offer them new playfields in the future? If it were me, I’d take them up on the offer and go find a nice LE in the secondary market. Maybe I don’t understand because I’m not much into the exclusivity club. I bought the LE because I just wanted a full feature game and didn’t care that I was X out of 500.
Not sure how they could justify only buying back CEs if an LE or SE looked just as bad. The warranties are the same across games I think, even though they don’t mention playfields.

The buy back option for a CE is pretty shrewd. JJP knows that the market value of that game is far above MSRP, which means their pretty certain that owners won't take the deal. If they did JJP would just fix the game and pawn it off to one of its distributors. My guess is they will NEVER offer buy backs on LE's or SE's, because the risk is far too great on JJP's end. Whats wholesale on a new play field?....maybe $300-400 /unit? Buybacks on LE's or SE's would be the dumbest financial decision JJP has ever made

#8622 2 years ago

Why would JJP ever offer a buy back option? It would cost them $800-$900 just in shipping charges (reimbursement + return shipping). It just makes zero sense financially when they can provide a play field for $400 and call it good. I'm not saying thats a great option, but we all know from history that satisfied most people who were impacted.

#8627 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I think the problem is there is no way to verify actual damage. Easy to get pics of another game, maybe one on route, to grab free pf. Once some people get a new pf, everyone expects a new pf even if there is barely any pooling. Even if you pass out pf's like candy, those pf's are going to have issues and people will demand another replacement. It never ends. Many are not going to be satisfied until their game is "fixed".

I hear what your saying, but I doubt that will happen as 99% of the owners will never do the play field swap and the extra play field will sit in the box until they decide to sell the game. All the extra play field does it help recoup some of the loses owners might take on a resale. Quite frankly providing play fields to affected owners is the only realistic solution as the buy back option will never happen.

#8628 2 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Your argument makes sense if JJP can actually provide a good playfield. It doesn’t seem like that’s the case for now, at least consistently.

So were the extra play fields on WW and POTC good? My bet is 99% of the owners have no idea if it is or isn't as it just sits in a box.

#8646 2 years ago

Except for the fact that they've already admitted there's a problem by offering warranty play fields in the past.

True, but the ultimate legal solution for JJP is to simply provide a 100% refund +shipping costs. My guess is there is almost ZERO chance they will offer this to LE or SE owners.

#8650 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Even if they had the same warranty in place at the time of purchase? This kind of preferential (discriminatory) treatment could get them in hot water by a bunch of SE and LE owners if the offer is extended to one group of customers (CE owners) but not the other.

Not disagreeing, but it would be a terribly stupid move on JJP's part when they can probably get away with providing other remedies that are far cheaper.

#8651 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

They’ve already offered the buyback to at least one SE owner

Ahh kind of....apparently they mentioned it and then completely disappeared and never actually went through with the offer.

#8659 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

And they offered it on my LE

Why didn't take the offer? Seems like a no brainer to me...get your money back and pick one up second hand in a year and save a few bucks

#8666 2 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

I took the buyback and told them i will just buy another, i was told by them on the phone, just because i buy another it doesn’t mean i will get one that doesn't have problems. Believe it or not. I was offered the buyback by phone feb 19th i was told jen would be in touch with me over the next couple of days. Then an email from barry engler on march 1st asking for an audits screen picture, i sent the picture and five days later this was the email i sent to barry. Good luck to all of you that have issues, I recommend charging back if you used a cc. It sucks but maybe if you stop payment the distributors will get angry andforce JJP TO make this right

Thanks for the clarification....so they offered it to you, but when u took them up on the offer they disappeared .... now it all makes sense

2 weeks later
#8924 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Eric is the designer of GnR,not the playfield builder.You would need to hold the people who made the decision to hire Mirco again responsible!I would guess the creative staff of JJP feels like shit over the defective playfields,but have been advised strongly not to talk publicly.I’ve read thru these threads and there is a lot of trolling going on here i.e (Jimshit5)and a few others!The owner of the company needs to make statement on this matter,hopefully to announce a new playfield manufacture.

I think your spot on. My guess is the design team is beyond frustrated, and have all been told how to respond to play field comments. Eric and team are very talented at what they do, but its not their job to manufacture games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

9,600 (OBO)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 1,499.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ptownpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=ptownpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.