IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6703 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I cannot fathom for the life of me why this problem is so f*cking hard to solve.

Because of EPA regulations concerning VOC emissions Manufacturers were "Encouraged" to work with less volatile materials, hence water based coatings.
If they continued with the older, harder more durable clear coats it would involve a higher priced Permit, result in a Hazardous Waste (Flammables, Reactives) waste streams and more frequent inspections of facilities by the EPA.
Water-based coatings have come a long way but are not yet as DURABLE as the older finishes.
Face it, Nitro lacquer, Isocyanates, xylene solvents are on their way out, so we must learn to live with the "Greener" alternatives.

#6731 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

There is some chemical issue here with adhesion that they need to sort out.

Coating adhesive is pretty simple (but Manufacturers want to make it complicated, so you will purchase their Proprietary Coatings).

Does the substrate ( bare wood, previously coated wood, etc) have an etched, uneven or pitted surface when viewed under magnification?
Are the etched, uneven or pitted surfaces free from contaminants?
Good, the coating can bond to it.
Uncompatible inks, paint or waxes, including silicones are unacceptable. Aerosol silicone contamination from adjacent work areas won't work.
Glazes, preservatives or polishing bare wood substrates during Manufacturing must be corrected.
Temperature swings in the Manufacturing Environment (Open dock doors, too much air conditioning) can be critical.
The stuff they are using (if its what I think it is) requires STRICT Preparation, Application in a Climate Controlled Room.
The same rigid requirements must be met to cure properly.
Use of these clear coatings has been a learning curve the past 10 years, not only Pinball but anything with a Clear over it.
Unfortunately application on a Play Field is perhaps the most demanding application requiring durability and high wear.

#6741 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I could be totally wrong here, but I thought I read somewhere that tighter regulations got put on clear coat chemicals forcing company’s to change their formulas and process.

Duh!

#6835 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

still ..... has to be a better way
Spooky, CGI and AP seem to have figured it out - maybe not perfect, but better than what JJP and Stern are putting out

Depending upon the States Regulations small-quantity generators of hazardous waste do not receive the same scrutiny as the big players.
A measurement of total VOC produced (aerosols and vented liquid supplies) could place them in the small producer category, a great advantage for profits without undue Regulation.
Many times Companies are Grandfathered in until they use remaining supplies of the Haz variety if they have promised to convert over to the water based.
I cannot say with certainty these observations apply to these Companies .

#6995 3 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

I never I thought I would hear myself say this! But maybe the playfields should be farmed out to Mexico, China overseas etc. where "hopefully" the best possible printing, and clear-coating of the playfields can take place. No reason you you could not have "diamond-Plate" or some other rock-hard finish applied there".

Yeah, I wish we could import non-EPA diesel Toyotas from Australia here too, its not fair we have to suffer because of all these unnecessary regulations.

The clear they are using is being applied too thick during "Open time" of the coating in order to eliminate another step in the process.
Multiple thin coats, followed by drying and then light sanding before the next coat would fix this issue.

#7000 3 years ago

Another selling term can be added to HUO, Home use out of box, etc. "Non Pooling Version".

#7005 3 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

If it wasn't for all these damn tree huggers!
Bring back the chemicals and sort this mess out.
Some good holidays going just now also.....
Seal clubbing, two for the price of one
[quoted image]

If those seals were ugly nobody would care.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Roseville, CA
$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.