IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickbuffalopinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6763 3 years ago

We're going to be talking about this issue tonight on "Bro, Do You Even Talk Pinball?" podcast, 8pm EDT, twitch.tv/buffalopinball

This has been a long time coming. I was set to talk about it in February when I had an issue with my Deadpool, but waited to see what Stern would do, and also so that they wouldn't retaliate against me for discussing it on our platform. I have 10 years of NIB issues to detail. Seeing this problem continue is incredibly frustrating and my goal is to elevate it to help protect new buyers and maybe, just maybe get them to actually solve the issue, rather than continuing as business as usual.

Expect a healthy dose of cursing.

#6776 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Make sure that you include that JJP is treating their customers just as bad as Stern is when it comes to standing behind their playfields. Don’t make it an all Stern thing because it isn't.

Absolutely, JJP will be mentioned. My focus will be mainly on Stern as my direct experience/issues has been with them over a 10 year period and 6 NIB games. I've purchased 2 JJP games and have not had any cracking issues, but I will acknowledge that people have posted on the forums documenting issues.

For the record, I wouldn't personally buy a GnR now with the issues I'm seeing. I'm happy to be honest and say that. That's just me personally though, and I'm not in the market for a GnR. I was considering an Avengers, but waiting until the issue clears up.

#6780 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm especially interested to hear your thoughts as you guys are heavily pro jjp. I hope you pull no punches and share your true thoughts and opinions across all brands. I'm upset with this as I love the hobby, but pretty much refuse to buy nib stern (and now jjp) because of it.

I'm a customer of both companies and won't personally purchase a machine from either company until they fix the issue for good. I'm happy to state that on the podcast.

I like both companies. I want to purchase more games. My goal is to advocate for the consumer. Sponsorship or no sponsorship.

I'm also happy to have a rep from either company come on a future podcast to discuss the issues and how they intend to address them.

#6782 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

They will never do that in a million years. They run for the hills when you start talking about playfield quality and what they are doing to make it right with their customers.

Yea, I'm sure you're right. It would be a good PR move, I think, but you're probably right.

#6785 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If they would back their games they would sell a lot more of them that is for sure. I guess they are selling enough games anyway and they dont care about screwing their customers that get defective products. If people stopped buying though i have a feeling that they would care and this problem would get fixed. All i want is a guarantee that im not going to get hung out to dry if i receive a bad playfield. That shouldn’t be too much to ask for in my opinion.

100% agree.

I'm sure they are experiencing negative consequences, due to some people no longer buying NIB due to this issue as well as the cost of sending out a new playfield. I think part of the issue is that they have no way of tracking the impact of lost customers. Add to the fact that sales overall are probably increasing, because more people getting into the hobby, and this gives them a lack of significant reason to truly fix the issue.

But I think it's safe to say it only benefits them to fix the issue. That it's worth whatever it takes to make a product that doesn't chip.

#6788 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the EPA restrictions have made it almost impossible for these companies to make good playfields anymore but that isn’t the consumers problem.

I'm with you. They are passing on the problem to the consumer, which isn't right.

It seems washers would have solved many of the issues. I'm not sure all of them, but at least some, especially my Deadpool damage.

#6789 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

What needs to happen is to call BOTH of these companies out in a public forum. Pinball shows not internet podcasts and pinside. If that doesn't make them become honest nothing will.

Our podcast reaches over 3,000 listeners/viewers. It will also go up on YouTube. That's more than a pinball show will reach.

#6796 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I like your guys show a lot and you all seem like super nice guys but it just got a little too pro JJP and too anti Stern for me (Kevin...cough cough) but i cant wait to see your show tonight. Make me a fan again Gusphan!

One thing I want to be clear about, is that I'm not "anti-Stern". I've purchased 6 Sterns for my personal collection and probably 10+ for my business. I get what you're saying though. JJP is a sponsor and we don't hide that fact.

There was a quote I jotted down from the Netflix documentary, "The Social Dilemma": "It's the critics that are the true optimists". I know Stern and JJP can do better on this issue. I want them to do better, because they both have talented teams that are crushing it in terms of making amazing games. And I want to own as many of these games as I can.

#6905 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Bravo Nick from Buffalo pinball. You were honest and told the truth. Sorry but weak sauce from Kevin. Didn’t come off as being totally honest.

I obviously know Kev very well and he was saying exactly what he believes.

I'll ask Kev if he wants to weigh in, but let me play out his argument a bit. I think Kev was saying, "Out of site, out of mind". In other words, if he can't notice any damage, it's no issue to him. He did say that extensive chipping damage, like on early WOZ, that that would bother him and be unacceptable.

I'm more, "Out of site, still in mind, still unacceptable". But let me play that out more. My damage on Deadpool sucks, but isn't THAT noticeable, at least NOW. I see pooling and minor chipping/cracking as potential for much more damage down the road. That once it starts, there's a good chance that it will get worse, possibly to the point that Kev mentions on WOZ. So to me, Kev should be bothered by this, because it has the potential to be really bad.

Maybe I can get him to jump in and discuss this further...

3 months later
#7867 3 years ago

Curious how Led Zep games are so far. Any issues?

#7870 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Ah, and that's the missing piece that the guys who are happy to get an unpopped pf, and happy to do their own swaps are forgetting! There's no guarantee that the replacement pf you get will be any better than the bad one you got out of the box. Imagine doing all the work for the swap, and then having the new pf have the same problems. Would be a nightmare!

This guy gets it.

#7916 3 years ago

A bandaid, not a solution. Hope some of you find this helpful. Big shout-out and thanks to Yellobird as this is his idea.

#7953 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Very kind but Sincerely no cost was expected so long as its not considered a Must Have in a few days. I travel that way every 2-3 weeks and estimate I could do this swap (have done many) with my wife in a day or so. Totally respect not Everyone likes, enjoys, or feels comfortable doing these type of tasks. Everyone has their level of comfort.

Listen, if you ever more to Buffalo, we can be best friends.

3 months later
#8823 2 years ago

I'm guessing I know the answer to this already, but I'll ask anyways: If you were to get a GnR, leave it in a box and not play it for a year, would that eliminate/decrease the chance of pooling/chipping? In other words, would it allow more time to cure and that would help?

#8888 2 years ago

My DI playfield is absolutely beautiful. Is that Mirco? What the hell happened between that game and the ones that followed?

1 year later
#9012 1 year ago

This is on a sling post of my NIB Rush I got less than 2 weeks ago. It has roughly 100 plays, but I believe it was like this when I got it.

It doesn't seem to be pooling. And it's hidden. I'm just wondering: will it progressively get worse and spread?

20220712_213308 (resized).jpg20220712_213308 (resized).jpg20220712_213647 (resized).jpg20220712_213647 (resized).jpg
#9017 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Not pooling. You have clearcoat chipping. I have a spot on my Stranger Things like this, but not as bad. Comes from too thick clear, I believe. Caused by the air tool over tightening.

That was my assessment as well. Has yours gotten any worse over time?

#9018 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Only time will tell. Document it with your distributor

Totally. I documented it in case it gets worse over time.

#9032 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

You have a bonded surface between wood, ink, and paint, that you are beating with a steel ball.

This is out of the box, before the ball even hit that post.

Stern has no doubt mainly solved the issues they faced in years past of pooling and chipping by taking the paint away from the posts. My issue looks like someone over tightened the post, causing the chipping. This seems to be the exception these days, rather than the rule, demonstrating that a company can still produce playfields on mass scale that don't lead to chipping and pooling through play.

It seems I simply have bad luck in my case. But that's doesn't make it OK, either.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.00
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
6,495 (Firm)
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.95
$ 64.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nickbuffalopinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=nickbuffalopinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.