IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3964 4 years ago

Just a quick question...the playfield issues discussed here (dimpling, pooling, chipping, etc...) have they been limited to just Stern and JJP? Or do the CGC remakes have the same problems?

I'm looking to purchase a new MBr soon, and would like to know if I'm likely to see these problems (I've never bought a NIB machine before).

#3983 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

When it comes to dimpling I have seen plenty on the CGC remakes.

Okay, but then comes the inevitable question..."How has CGC handled dimpled playfield issues? Better or worse than JJP and/or Stern?"

#3989 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Dimples are not defects or problems... To think a wooden playfield with heavy metal balls bouncing around wont dent is just silly..

Well, my WhiteWater has over 25 years of play on it now, and has nothing like the dimpling that I have seen some pictures of here. I guess my question should have been phrased as "Is the CGC playfield quality similar to the original B/W quality, or is it more like the current JJP/Stern quality?"

#4018 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I guess im not following you. There is nothing to negotiate. If you buy a game with a defective playfield the manufacturer should send you a new populated playfield to put back in your game period.

Well, there are several possible things that a manufacturer could do to resolve a defective playfield...

1) Arrive with a team of employees to provide an entire new machine and remove the existing defective one.
2) Ship a new machine, requesting that you ship the defective one back.
3) Send a new populated playfield, requesting that you send the defective one back.
4) Send a new un-populated playfield, telling you to just trash the defective one.
5) Tell you that "we have no warranty on playfields...tough luck".

Most customers would probably agree that #1 and #5 are unreasonable, but whether #2, #3, or #4 are reasonable depends on the person (and therefore are "negotiable").

#4180 4 years ago

Well, they COULD do a playfield swap program whereby you send them your populated playfield, and they use your parts to populate a replacement playfield and then send it back to you.

Unfortunately, this would be very labor intensive and therefore expensive (not to mention shipping issues).

Ideally, JJP would just do an exchange of populated playfields, but if they are in financial distress, I can see why it would be difficult.

But this brings up a bigger point, why would I want to buy an expensive item from a company that can't afford to support it (assuming they even wanted to)?

If I'm buying something like this, I want to be sure that problems will be handled (and parts will be available). If JJP is on the "edge", then I'm going to look elsewhere.

#4204 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I think the larger issue is manufacturing in this country has become a shit show rooted in greed. I've seen it firsthand in home building on both coasts. Went to my HOA meeting last night regarding construction defect mediation/arbitration/litigation that is 2 years old and likely another year from resolution. Ultimately, the builder's insurance company will write a large check to cover the screwups. The lawyer reminded us that these expensive insurance policies to protect the builder were part of our (expensive) sales price. In other words, the home buyer ultimately pays to get the builder off the hook. What a world!

I don't think it's really a manufacturing issue. It's more of a business sense issue.

The emphasis now is on short term profits rather than on long term profitability. Investors want "returns" now (and don't really care if the business is viable in two years - by that time they've moved onto some other investment anyway).

I worked for a small (profitable) company that went public. Suddenly we were making decisions that we knew would hurt us long-term but would keep Wall Street happy "this quarter". Each quarter we would jeopardize future profits for short term gains. You can guess what happened from there...but that's okay, by that time the original investors had long since departed with their "returns".

#4208 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thats how workers get paid at JJP for assembling?? You sure about that?

It may not be that they get paid per machine...but if worker "Joe" is only assembling 3 machines a day (and keeps bringing up "problems"), but worker "Fred" assembles 5 machines a day (and never seems to mention any issue)...which guy gets to keep the job when funds get tight?

Eventually, you have a lot of "Freds" and very few "Joes" making your machines.

#4215 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Id keep Joe. He cares more about the job being done as he is reporting problems. Fred doesnt care about quality.

Except for when you've got distributors waving money saying "where are those machines you promised" and creditors waving bills saying "when are you going to pay these".

That's when you're laying off the Joes and hiring more Freds.

#4228 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I highly disagree. Thats a greedy company that wont last. You will be paying more once customers have issues with their products and you have to fix them, or result in losing customers all together. Pumping out defective products will not get you anywhere.
If the quality is not there, you will not have a business. I stand behind that in general...

Well, I didn't mean that this was a good idea, but it tends to happen nevertheless.

#4281 4 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

Yes. You may get a dud

Well, that's a bit strong. Stern and JJP have had some problems with bad playfield clearcoat lately, but the other manufacturers have done better.

All the manufacturers have had some problems with playfield dimpling due to the wood being not as hard as the "old days". However, it appears that this problem has been minimal with CGC and Spooky games.

Personally, I would avoid a NIB game from Stern or JJP until I am certain that they have resolved their problems, but am considering one from CGC. I would probably consider one from Spooky, but none of their current themes interest me.

#4294 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Dialed In one of the best games ever designed.I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard horrible theme.Who gives a shit the gameplay and toys are fucking phenomenal.Quantum Electric guy moving back and forth on playfield is great because it creates chaos and makes you think.I think it’s pure genius how it catches balls in theater mode

I wanted to like it (in general I like Pat Lawlor's stuff), but no, I don't care for it at all. Virtually everything about it was annoying, but hard to describe why.

1 week later
#4621 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

A bit OT but not by much, my CGC remake is “flattening out” and the dimples are merging... as far as NIB purchases, I’ve decided to wait on more classic B/W remake pins and their first non-remake, although CCr is a hard pass on theme and play even with code updates, let alone without them. That machine always reminded me of a Gottlieb with WMS flippers... Cactus Jack meets Eldorado... Boring meets snoozefest... CC = pinball novacaine, you just feel numb after about the 50th Gold Mine multiball.

Kind of funny how people have such different opinions of machines. I finally got some playing time on a CC recently and found that I really liked the layout, and could see how (with completed software) it could have been a really good machine.
OTOH, I don't understand what people see in TOTAN...like you said "boring meets snoozefest" and a big stupid spinner in the way of everything.

#4661 4 years ago

There ARE some strange cuts there that don't match up time wise.

At 2:10, when he hits the playfield with a hammer, there is another hammer sitting on the table at the bottom left of the playfield, but during the "close-up" at 2:11, that hammer has vanished, only to re-appear at the second close-up at 2:13.

At 2:24, when the playfield is hit with the sledgehammer, that regular hammer is still there, but then at 2:31, during the close-up, the sledgehammer is sitting on the table to the left of the playfield (and the regular hammer has vanished).

The regular hammer then reappears at 2:43 again.

Now, I am NOT saying that they faked this or that they swapped playfields, or anything like that. I suspect that the close-ups were different "takes" than the shots from further back - with the hammer present for the back shots, and missing in the close-ups.

I don't see any "marks" that indicate they changed out playfields. There is a glare/reflection spot that could be mistaken for a mark, but if you watch the whole video, you can see that spot move around with the camera.

#4674 4 years ago

I have wondered why no manufacturer has used a "powerball" instead of steel for their games.

If they did this, the coil strengths could be reduced overall, and you'd have less playfield damage over time (and probably fewer broken plastics too).

I realize that traditionally you want the "silver ball", but it seems like this might be worth a try.

1 week later
#4808 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

who are these customers and people ?

Well, I was unlikely to buy either a new Stern or JJP anyway (not a fan of Stern machines in general, and JJP machines are too expensive for me), but I am certainly not going to buy one until/unless I have faith that the machine will hold up.

The real questions are:
1) Are the collectors who would normally buy new Stern/JJP machines buying less of them due to these issues?
2) Are the operators who would normally buy new Stern/JJP machines buying less of them due to these issues?

I can't claim to KNOW the answers to these questions. But my guess would be that some collectors are buying less (mainly because there are some other viable options right now - such as CGC and Spooky), and that operators are probably not very concerned.

So I guess a secondary question becomes:
How much does Stern/JJP care about a small reduction in their share of the home market, and is it worth increasing their costs to hopefully recover that share?

#4874 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

1. Yes, at least in my case. I worked my butt off to get into the IFPA top 1,000 so I could take advantage of their pricing. I have the money sitting in my account for a JP Premium. The key word is "sitting". I'm not buying a damn thing from them until they do something about my BM66.
2. Our operator has been buying every game off the line. He's told me that his locations are all requesting pinball. If he's buying them all, he must be making his money back.

Yes, that's sort of my point. Even though a bunch of pinsiders may have stopped buying NIB Sterns, there are operators willing to take those machines (dimples and all). I doubt that a dimpled machine (or even a "cratered" one) earns much less than a good one. So, as far as Stern is concerned, all is good.

Now, maybe when those operators try to re-sell the machines after they've stopped earning, and find that the resale value of badly cratered machines is very low, things will change - but I doubt it.

#4877 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The 1-2 kick in the nuts of Munsters and Black Knight didn't sit too well with him. There are a couple other ops here who were on the fence on Stranger Things because of how bad Munsters and Black Knight were for them too.

Are you saying that Munsters and BKSOR were bad due to lack of earnings, or bad due to build quality (or both)?

As an operator, does the dimpling issue affect earnings on location or just affect re-sale value of the machine? I would think that most customers wouldn't even notice the dimpling (unless maybe it is really awful) until well after they have put in their money.

#4881 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

They are both bad primarily because of lack of earnings. They both have had their issues, the main ones being the Spot optos and the grandpa scoop switch on Munsters. It's annoying, but nothing major for the most part. The problem with those two games for operators is this. Munsters has shallow code which pinball players aren't interested in, especially if they have other options of games to play. So the players don't play it. And with the theme, I know there are some older people here who absolutely love it...but reality is, very few people under 40 know or care who the Munsters are. Because of that, the casual / young crowd don't play it...especially if there are other options to play. No players and no casuals means it isn't making money. With Black Knight you have a theme that the players care about and code that is decent, but the layout is so bare and uninspired...especially for a hyped up 3rd game in a legendary pinball series. Players get board of it quickly because of that and switch to other games and then once again with the casual players they have no idea who or what the Black Knight is, so when it comes to putting money in a game they go with what they know...themes like Star Wars or Deadpool.
For operators I know, the dimpling isn't an issue for the most part. Batman 66 looked terrible, but other than that, players can't really see it under the glass unless they are really looking for it and it doesn't affect play, so they don't care. Unless it was really bad like Batman 66 was, it wouldn't affect resale and honestly most ops I know don't sell their games anyway. They keep them and rotate them around to other locations instead. When they eventually do go to sell, those ops deal with the same reliable people they know will be a quick and painless sale, not to someone who is going to nitpick everything and complain about things like dimples anyway.

Thanks, that's very interesting info from a perspective that most of us here don't have.

#4883 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Here's some more fun inside info. Normally a game gets a 6 week bump in earnings while people try out the new game and subsequent code updates. Then after that, the newer games usually float in the middle of earnings while people try out the next newest game or go back to their favorites. Black Knight and Munsters did not even come close to a 6 week bump and Elvira barely made it a few weeks on top. Stranger Things despite all the initial mechanical issues is #1 so it is earning so far. With only 5 Stranger Things on route here now instead of the usual dozen or more the newest title, that is no doubt helping the numbers for it at this location since you can't find one everywhere. We'll see how long it lasts for. Here are the best to worst earners since Stranger Things arrived at my ops busiest location here...
Strangers Things
Star Wars
Jurassic Park
Elvira
Deadpool
Ghostbusters
Kiss
Black Knight: Sword of Rage
Munsters
Transformers
Transformers has been having reoccurring Megatron trough issues that get fixed and then show up again, so it has been turned off for extended periods of time. I have no doubt that if it was working correctly, it would have out earned both Munsters and Black Knight too. Pretty sad when a game like Transformers or Kiss from years ago that no one considers classics are out earning the newest expensive games.

Interesting...I haven't gotten to play Stranger Things yet, it was out of order (and being worked on) when I went to the nearest place that has one. Surprised that Star Wars is still earning, as I found it to be quite boring (and I am a big original Star Wars fan) - I guess the license makes all the difference.

One of the few places nearby that has multiple machines, never seems to update the software (their BM66 is still running the code it shipped with). Do "regular" (non-pinside) customers ever realize that the software gets improved over time? How often do you think customers play the lame "early code" and then never go back to a machine since they have already decided that it sucks?

#4885 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Most people don't unless they are told. We try to make sure that people know code was updated to give them incentive to try a game out again. It can be especially difficult to get people to play some games again when the code comes out so initially bad that people want nothing to do with the game anymore...here's looking at you Batman 66. I wish games had "New Code Version" signs on top like they did with the "Tournament Play" sign years ago. It would be nice to be able to flip up a normally folded down sign like that when there was a new code version to draw people's attention to it and hopefully get them to give it another shot.

I really don't understand Stern's strategy of releasing games with such incomplete software. All it can do is give a game a bad reputation that will be hard to overcome. Even if the software turns out to be great later (sometimes MUCH later), lots of operators don't bother with updating and I imagine lots of customers have moved on by then.

Sure, Stern wants to get the machines out the door ASAP, but selling a crappy game early can be a lot worse than selling a completed game later. That's something I DO have some experience with.

#4888 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And yet Bricks is on “beta code” and shipping?
Btw, I have zero problem with them or anyone else doing that. I like the code progression
Very weak complaint

I don't know what a "bricks" is...and you only like the "progression" because you get see it...many machines on location don't get updated, meaning lots of players only get to play the early/poor code - and then decide "this machine sucks".

2 weeks later
#4997 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I think that sounds about right.
I have a Star Wars Comic book art that came off the line first week in November and the playfield is fine.

But what is important is when the was playfield made, not when the machine was assembled. You could have a machine assembled in November with a playfield made much earlier or not.

#5025 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I love how everyone thinks the Haggis solution is some pinball altering invention already. Not one of their machines is out in the real world getting beat on day in and day out. A lot of time needs to pass to see how well those machines hold up before we decide that the Haggis playfield is the benchmark of quality. The plastic is held on by tape at the moment, for crying out loud. Just because it does not dimple does not mean the finish is going to stay bright and shiny. One operator who leaves a ball in too long is going to scratch the hell out of that plastic permanently. Plastic is much softer than clear coat, and you are going to play hell buffing out ball tracks from orbits and whatnot.

So is there any general consensus as to how a "hardtop" holds up in a location setting?
In general, what Haggis is showing is really just a new "harder" hardtop system (using a scratch-resistant acrylic rather than whatever plastic the hardtops use).

Do the hardtops have problems with ball tracks or not staying "bright and shiny"?

3 weeks later
#5036 4 years ago

That's great. So how much time and effort will it take to do the swap?

#5040 4 years ago

I really was just curious about how hard it is to do a playfield swap on a JJP machine.

You do bring up an interesting point though...if the pooling and such does not affect gameplay, and no one is going to do the swap, why was there so many complaints about needing a new playfield? People need something to fill their closets with or something?

#5048 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

No, so they could get what they paid for. I would hope you would hold an auto manufacturer to the same standard. These toys are not cheap.

Well, if I bought a new car, and it had a damaged fender, I would want the fender replaced. I would not insist on an additional new fender to store in my garage so that I could sell the fender when/if I sell the car.

Either I care (and therefore want the fender actually fixed/replaced), or I don't care...in which case...I don't care.

If the car had a bad paint job, would you feel better if they handed you a gallon of paint?

3 months later
#5817 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I don’t consider ”raised“ inserts an issue. They have no impact on play feel or durability. It’s your money though so if you want to worry about that instead of enjoying your game... you’re absolutely allowed to do that.

A raised insert will affect the motion of the ball, so it is a huge deal - a much bigger deal than the micro-dimpling on many playfields.

IMO, small dimples that can only be seen in just the right light (and don't affect the ball motion) are just a minor issue. "Cratering" (big dimples that are easily seen and may affect the ball) and raised inserts are a big issue.

#5871 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

The distributor put in the claim back in August of 2019?
Man, what a joke. What other industries/businesses blow off their customers in this manner?

Maybe Stern's plan to to wait long enough that they can then say "Sorry, it's out of warranty now - you should have done something about it sooner."

1 week later
#5998 3 years ago
Quoted from tyson171:

Technically there is aftermarket, constantly call stern and request a new play field, and send it off to a third party to be clear coated. I saw it runs about $600 for just the clear coat. Is this acceptable for a new toy that cost this much? Nope, but it is an option if it really bothers you, and you plan to keep it forever.

But it's not just $600 for clearcoating...

First, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a new (unpopulated) playfield - which Stern may or may not actually provide (and even if they do, it may take a year or more).

Then, you have to send the new playfield out to someone who can do the clearcoat (and will hopefully do a good job) - this assumes, of course, that the new playfield doesn't also have it's own issues.

Finally, you need to swap the actual playfields. You say this will be your first machine - so I suspect you don't realize how difficult (not to mention time-consuming) a playfield swap can be.

If you think you can solve the problem of a bad playfield by throwing an extra $600 at it, you will be very unpleasantly surprised.

4 weeks later
#6372 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Well, that's a false claim (I just double checked with a very reliable source at CPR).
CPR has all their wood manufactured to their custom specs/formula directly at the mill...

I don't understand...are you saying that CPR has their own wood mill?

If not, then why couldn't CPR be getting their wood "directly" from the same mill that Stern uses? Just because they have different specs doesn't mean they aren't from the same mill.

#6375 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

OMG...no, I'm not saying "CPR has their own wood mill". smh.

I didn't think you really were saying this...but you didn't answer my question...

Quoted from mbeardsley:

why couldn't CPR be getting their wood "directly" from the same mill that Stern uses? Just because they have different specs doesn't mean they aren't from the same mill.

#6378 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

But there is literally a post from CPR themselves saying the get their wood from the same place that Stern does....

My point exactly...

Quoted from snaroff:

I didn't answer your 2nd question because your 1st question was so ridiculous. If you insist on getting an answer to your 2nd question...here it is:
Of course it's conceivable that CPR could be getting wood from the same mill that Stern uses, but they don't. CPR is based in Canada, where they manufacture their PF's.

My first question was facetious...because you were using a nonsensical argument to support your point - that because the pf's had different specs they must come from different mills, even though CPR says that they don't.

1 week later
#6462 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I think you can simply loosen and spin the saucer around to hide that mark.
I'd want them to send me a new populated playfield, and I don't know how much trouble that would be to request and receive.

I think asking for a new spaceship is completely reasonable (and CGC typically has provided similar parts to other people here).
I think the chance of getting a new populated playfield is close to zero. MAYBE they would provide an unpopulated one, but I suspect that even that is a stretch.

I agree that the blemish sucks, but I suspect that you'll need to live with it, unless they are willing to take the entire machine back and replace it with another one (which they might do if it really has no plays on it).

Good luck, and please let us know what your result is.

1 month later
#6862 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I wonder if that game has a playfield from Summer 2019? I'd be interested to see the manufacture date of both the game and the playfield on this one. Seems reminiscent of the problems that occurred last year that have since been mostly remedied.

I don't see how you can claim it is "mostly remedied" when new machines being shipped right now still have the issues. It doesn't matter that the playfield might have been manufactured a while ago - what matters is that if you buy a NIB machine today you are still likely to have the problems.

Sure, MAYBE, if you buy a machine a year from now, you'll get a playfield that is being manufactured "now" and will be better. Of course, we won't really know that until a year from now when those playfields are actually inside the machines.

But I suspect we'll still be having this discussion in another year as well.

1 month later
#7363 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

That reminds me, the McRib is back too.

And the clearcoat on the McRib does not chip...

1 month later
#7600 3 years ago

Some people here like to claim that "the bad playfields are only a tiny percentage and it's all blown out of proportion".

If that's really the case, then Stern /JJP should have no issue/problem replacing the playfields on that "tiny number". The fact that they can't / won't means that they realize that if they replaced all the bad playfields it would cost a fortune.

This is further proven by the fact that even those who do get promised (an unpopulated) playfield end up having to wait months/years for it to be re-made. If it was only a tiny number of playfields there would be enough spare playfields available to send out to those "few" people.

With any big/expensive product (i.e. cars, refrigerators, etc.) there will be a small number of defective ones that get through. It's how the company handles those problems when they arise that matters. Stern and JJP have shown clearly that they have little to no interest in standing behind their products.

Partly this is due (as has been stated above) that they (at least in Stern's case) have a long history of selling to operators rather than end users. However, they have now moved into the (potentially more lucrative) area of the home user - allowing them to significantly increase their prices for "Premium" models. But that lucrative market also expects a far more responsive support structure, which Stern/JJP have not stepped up to provide.

The "cargument" has been made a thousand times, but more realistic is a "frigument". If you bought a $3000 refrigerator that didn't work, how would you feel if the manufacturer said "well, we'll send you a new compressor, but you'll have to install it yourself. And we don't have any spare ones for your model right now - but we'll send you one the next time we re-make your model. Probably in about 6 months or so..."

#7617 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I got the exact same response.

The Stern "quality department" is just a table in the corner where they stack the "Quality Inspected By : " stickers.

1 week later
#7707 3 years ago

Yeah, not only would I be unwilling to do a playfield swap...I don't even know where I could hire someone to do a swap for me.

So, to me, a machine with a bad playfield (and a spare replacement field) is about the same as a machine with a bad playfield.

On a related note, is there a list / thread here somewhere where repair services (including stuff like doing a playfield swap) are advertised?

I see lots of threads about machines/parts for sale, and machines/parts wanted, but not much about "services available".

#7737 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So great news update: Stern is replacing my playfield with a new unpopulated one. I consider myself fortunate as I'll take a playfield over none at all. Yeah, populated is nice, but I can do it myself with a little work. Plus, they're sending me a shaker for it for the hassle. So I'm thrilled.

Well, I'm glad that you are happy, but that resolution would not be enough to make me happy. If you don't mind doing the swap yourself, that's fine, but I think it is unreasonable for Stern to assume that an unpopulated playfield is of use to most retail customers.

Did they say when you can expect this playfield? Some people have had to wait many months for a playfield that they have been promised.

Quoted from zaphX:

Plus the playfield itself, which has to be 500-1000.
Remember that thing has holes cut, inserts hammered in, art + clear...lotta labor goes into a playfield IMO.

Except that he already PAID for that playfield - it was supposed to be included with his machine. Instead, they provided an unusably warped playfield that obviously didn't have the "lotta labor" it was supposed to have.

1 week later
#7779 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I tell people that if you want to get into pinball, be prepared for something to break. And yes, playfield swaps are extensive, but not difficult if you take it one bite at a time. I'm just surprised how many people get a free 5, 6, 700 dollar playfield and aren't at least grateful for that. Just seems odd how many won't or CAN'T do it.

Well, I've been fixing my own machines for a long time (bought my first in 1984), but I've never done a playfield swap - and I'd be quite intimidated in trying it. Additionally, I don't have the extra room (or some of the tools) that I would need to do a swap.

But the real point is that these people have bought a defective machine, and the manufacturer wants to just send out a part and be done with it. That would be fine if the part was a leg that can just be bolted off/on (or even a board to swap out). But replacing the playfield requires a lot more work/time/knowledge/space/tools than many people have - including me.

Stern's support team is still in the mindset of "these route operators can swap a playfield if need be", but Stern's sales team is thinking "we can sell these highly profitable LE versions for home use and make a bunch of profit". These two perspectives are in conflict.

1 week later
#7929 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Man, I don't even know how I'd go about shipping this.

You'd need to pack it very carefully. You wouldn't want it to get warped in shipping...

#7951 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Very kind but Sincerely no cost was expected so long as its not considered a Must Have in a few days. I travel that way every 2-3 weeks and estimate I could do this swap (have done many) with my wife in a day or so. Totally respect not Everyone likes, enjoys, or feels comfortable doing these type of tasks. Everyone has their level of comfort.

Yes, this is an amazing offer. My hat is off to you, sir.

Quoted from woody76:

amazing offer. I would take him up on it and throw him $1000 for his time.

And Yes, giving him $1000 to do the swap is probably fair.

If JJP and/or Stern were shipping unpopulated playfields AND including $1000 for someone to be paid to perform the swap - then you could argue they were making people "whole". But just shipping a piece of painted wood is not the same thing.

2 months later
#8167 2 years ago

Just add a washer to that, it will be fine...

1 week later
#8255 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

So don’t understand a single complaint or point you made here. They botched marketing yet they sold thousands on opening day. Hmmmm. Highly doubt they expected to get a years worth of orders on day One but far from a fail in my opinion and likely theirs.

Well, it's a "fail" if they sell thousands, but can only produce hundreds...leaving thousands of pissed off customers waiting for their machines.

1 year later
#9026 1 year ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Well, those guys at Bally/Williams that came up with Diamond Coat must have had some post grad credits in something because they managed to work with physics to do something right.

Well, physics was simpler back then...there weren't any of those pesky quarks and gluons and muons and such to worry about.

Life was easier when it was just F=ma. Now it's all relativistic time-dilation and stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.