IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lukyduck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#614 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Do any CGC pinballs have these issues?

My MBr SE has been perfect since day one out of the box. In my opinion, CGC is the Honda and Toyota of the pin makers. Their pins may not appeal to everyone at the moment. But you see no threads recently of quality issues that JJP and Stern have.

JJP is the exotic maker with low volume and some quality issues. High end buyers will put up with their quality issues.

Stern is your mass producer pushing out one game after the next to keep the customers flocking to the next must have pin. Quality suffers some time with a model, but buyers soon forget because they desire the next popular pin.

CGC is your lower volume, build a safe bet machine theme that has little to no issues.

Spooky and the other lower volume manufacturers are just working at getting their feet in the door and if they want to survive, will continue to work on their quality issues while providing unique or original themes. I hope they keep up the pressure on the to big to fail companies that everyone continues to support.

And DP, well that is everything that is wrong with the industry. Great ideas, horrible execution.

Want to help the manufacturers fix their quality issues. Stop buying their products for a while and they will either fix the issues or go by the way side. Losing a manufacturer is not always a bad thing. Maybe another company will come along and buy them out and fix the issues they had. Or maybe it opens the door to the lower volume guys to fill and show everyone that they have better ideas and provide a quality product.

You gotta get over a business failing. It usually leads to a higher quality company coming along with a younger generation of talent.

#747 4 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I finally have cash ready for a new game.
Wanted JP2 the most, then Deadpool but not if stern has all these playfield issues.
Now I’m thinking AFMr since it sounds like CGC has the quality control in order.
Can any CGC owners confirm their playfields are free from significant issues like stern is dealing with?

I bought a NIB MBr SE about 6 weeks ago. No issues with the play field. It was my first NIB purchase and set the standard as far as I am concerned. I have not had a single issue to complain about. I was looking to buy a JP or WW, but have informed my distributor that I am waiting to see if either company is going to resolve the PF issues.

There is not a product I would buy if the manufacturer told me that paint moving on a new item is acceptable. We have been painting wood for more than a hundred years and there is no acceptable reason for this to be happening.

#811 4 years ago
8127B197-6192-406B-AE30-8B9D3E61527C (resized).png8127B197-6192-406B-AE30-8B9D3E61527C (resized).png
#990 4 years ago

Heck...if it takes MrBally 20 hours and Panzer 50 I am looking at 100!

And what would I do with all of the extra parts when I am done?

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Its not a restore, 50 hours seems very excessive to me, its still just a pinball machine and its not like there should be a lot of problems or adjustments required. I wonder how many hours it takes a company to assemble a machine.

Well, if you had ten people doing the complete assembly and it took each one 15 mins for their steps, that’s around 2.5 hours. But everything is being installed in the most efficient manner based on their procedures.

#994 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you say that you can I believe you because i know that you are a straight up guy, BUT you obviously work on pins a lot right? How long did it take you the very first time that you did a playfield swap and what about those people that are just not capable of doing one?
I just don’t understand why its ok and even considered acceptable by some for a pinball company to sell someone a defective product that cost ten thousand dollars and then tell them to get screwed. If the consumer has no protection against things like this then why aren't car companies telling their customers to get f***** when they buy a new car and the motor or transmission goes out?

Because the vehicle issue would end up on TV. Pinball issues would not. The internet is your only recourse. That’s my take.

Let’s hope the PF issue goes away for a long time.

3 weeks later
#2217 4 years ago

My MBr has a FLAWLESS play-field and it was manufactured June 04 2019. It is the standard I expect from every NIB I buy.

#2218 4 years ago

I will say this...I just started buying NIB. My first was a CGC MBr. Not one issue or complaint with it. It is exactly what I expected when I bought it. Nothing has stopped working or broken in the first few months I have owned it.

Now...I have just bought a Stern and a Jersey Jack pinball machine. Both have yet to arrive at my home. CGC has set the standard for me in regards to quality and reliability. I am going to be curious to see what issues I have with either of them and how either company is going to handle any issues I have going forward.

#2232 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Yeah but similarly screen printed is way better than the heat wrap they use now[quoted image]

Those are some cool looking boards! Nice

#2398 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

"A lawyer dies and goes to Heaven. "There must be some mistake," the lawyer argues. "I'm too young to die. I'm only 55." "Fifty-five?" says Saint Peter. "No, according to our calculations, you're 82." "How'd you get that?" the lawyer asks. Answers St. Peter, "We added up your time sheets."

Funny, I like it! I am not used to hearing jokes about lawyers. It’s always fun to here jokes from other professions.

#2409 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Finding a lawyer you can trust, especially a litigator, is HUGE. It's great that you have a lawyer friend to count on who won't screw you over with hourly billing.
Divorce is great for lawyers, plaintiff and defense, and an easy area for young lawyers to get involved in. So is criminal law. Neither of which I'd ever do for obvious reasons.
I don't do "billable hours" since my CPA days at Ernst & Young in the 80's when i was forced to do it. Big accounting firm, as bad as lawyers on the billing sheets.
My clients love me , i save them money, help game plan their lives from an integrated legal, tax and financial standpoint and give them "peace of mind" .
The older you get you sweat the small stuff less and less. Life is WAY too short.

Ditto...life is short. Seen way to many friends of a young age pass away.

#2553 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Stern added a QA Director today... used to work at (with?) Caterpillar
https://sternpinball.com/2019/10/10/stern-pinball-enhances-quality-assurance-team/

I have a quality background and that is good news for the company going forward. It might take a while to get things aligned, but it should mean more reliable games going forward.

#2560 4 years ago

I don’t know much about Sterns history, but if they are expanding production, they may have just realized that now is the time to bring in someone with a Quality background. Hiring someone with that background will not be cheap. But worth it. It’s growing pains I might suspect.

2 months later
#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

Loot crate success! Too bad we dont know what the percentage of non-fucky pins inside these loot crates are. 1:4, 1:8, 1:holyfuckingmoses...

That’s a creative way to put it.

2 weeks later
#3774 4 years ago

Wooden lanes dimple. They are made of maple on the approach/pin deck and pine for the rest of the lane. They used to sand them every few years to remove the dimples and even out the lanes for leagues/tournaments. When they sanded them down to a certain point, they would replace them just like real wood flooring. All wood dimples under the right circumstances! The smaller the pressure point/greater the weight/impact, the more likely the wood will dimple. Humidity, temperature and age of the wood all affect wood and it’s hardness. Along with what type of sealer you put on the wood.

And yes, most of the oldest trees/best aged wood have been cut down. They provided the best wood for manufacturing. No wants to wait 75 to 200 years for them to grow up. Don’t get me wrong, they still exist in some places in the world. But the wood is not cheap and all maple trees are not the same.

2 weeks later
#3966 4 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Just a quick question...the playfield issues discussed here (dimpling, pooling, chipping, etc...) have they been limited to just Stern and JJP? Or do the CGC remakes have the same problems?
I'm looking to purchase a new MBr soon, and would like to know if I'm likely to see these problems (I've never bought a NIB machine before).

My MBr has been flawless and set the standard for quality. I have not even had to replace a single rubber part or reinstall a single screw. I cannot say the same about my Stern or JJP. Both have had their share of issues right out of the box. And all of the issues could have been prevented if the quality control at both JJP and Stern was better.

I personally am waiting to see what the next CGC pin is.

3 months later
#5183 3 years ago

While reviewing some pinball related patents...I came across some text that I thought other owners might see as interesting in regards to playfield damage.

"Specifically, it has been seen that the protective hardcoat that is typically provided to the surface of the playfield becomes damaged at the point(s) where the ball impacts the edges of the shooter groove as the ball is being directed towards the playfield. When the protective hardcoat is damaged in this manner, the integrity of the playfield surface is compromised and a costly repair of the damaged area and/or replacement of the entire playfied are the only known solutions to correct this problem."

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#5187 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

but isn't this for a patent on a protector rather than a playfield coating

Yes rails above the shooter groove.

1 month later
#5491 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Not to stir the pot but I'm just tired of being quite at this point thus why I added that particular one to the thread. I'll speak as professionally as possible to share what I'm seeing to anyone that ask to try and keep a cool line of communication but I'm just about fed up. Here is my brand me JP Prem that I waited 6 months for.
If I'm just being to picky, let me know your thoughts as it could just be my expectations. I can deal with a lot and feel like I have a lot of patience with minor defects but I'd much rather have a pooled PF or even wood graining than the warp PF since it does indeed make the game play different.
***Edited as this isn't really directed at anyone specifically. I just quoted what I did to maintain the train of thought on the warp PF conversation.***

LOL...I liked the end of the video best! Nice touch. You had me for a moment when I thought you were going to show the difference between two playfields by placing your level on the other machines playfield. I think it would be more telling. One playfield is level and smooth and the other is not.

#5499 3 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I guess I could do that. That video was meant for Stern and I didn't want there to be concern with the quality or flatness of the surface of my level. Glass is level thus why I used it as my only goal was to show that my level has a flat surface.

I completely understand why you placed it on the glass. Makes sense to me and I understand why you did it. I personally would want to show that another playfield could be just as flat as the glass. I have never moved a level around on mine to find out if they are completely flat. Not seeing the whole picture/video, I wonder like others about a raised insert. I could not see what is under the level (i.e. insert).

2 weeks later
#5756 3 years ago

The thread and 116 pages of comments reflects both companies playfield issues in the past and potentially going forward. The title should remain as it is or at a minimum keep JJP in it in some way.

How is a new owner going to find JJP playfield issues if the title is for Stern only?

I say leave it alone or close the thread and start a new Stern only thread.

3 weeks later
#6104 3 years ago

Read a post in the TMNT thread about drilling holes in the playfield to move rail guides. SMH

8 months later
#8154 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Did anybody really think the quality assurance post was worth anything?

It is worth about as much as an ISO mark! The ink that was used to create it.

#8166 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Some of these playfields are going to look like those cars (was it Chevy?) that got a bad batch of primer and all of them the paint just fell off after a few years.

You mean like this?

572F1038-7426-43DB-BF86-7E3EAB12DD6D (resized).jpeg572F1038-7426-43DB-BF86-7E3EAB12DD6D (resized).jpegB4126479-8631-4ED8-BFF7-72AFCE155908 (resized).jpegB4126479-8631-4ED8-BFF7-72AFCE155908 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

9,600 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lukyduck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=lukyduck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.