IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1806 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And now we have the latest news that Deeproot will offer a 10 year playfield warranty.

The clock already started running on the warranty when they announced the 5 days of deeproot.
If people actually take delivery of deeproot games they'll have only a couple months of warranty left.

#1849 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

That sounds exactly like what is happening in pinball.

And at least it's a guitargument and not a cargument.

#1976 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

That was taken while playing a 4 player game with Lyman, Penny, and a good friend of mine.
I got to play pinball with Lyman!

Name dropper.

#1987 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Warranties are very clear. What’s covered is very clear.

But what counts in warranties is how well the clear is covered.

#2027 4 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

And just spent some of mine on a loaded MacBook Pro. It was perfect right out of the box.

But how do you like its touchscreen?

#2119 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

New games ought to be made with hardtops.

So is this how deeproot intends to reduce cost and yet provide a ten year warranty on playfields?

1 week later
#2245 4 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I just started buying NIB. My first was a CGC MBr. Now I have just bought a Stern and a Jersey Jack pinball NIB.

You can afford NIB games from all three manufacturers? You are a lucky duck!

#2283 4 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Just checked my Beatles Platinum and all clear.

Quoted from Whysnow:

You are not out of the words yet.

It sounds like he wants you to post more here on Pinside.

#2360 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let us know if and when the new playfield starts pooling and chipping, would ya?

So you're expecting the replacement playfield to be a chip off the old block?

#2390 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What do you call 2 lawyers arguing in a pinball forum?

We could start a POOL and see who gets in the most CHIP shots.

#2437 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

In one corner we have GamerRick and in the other corner we have iceman44.

GamerRick's been on Pinside for 1 year and has 6 really nice pins, while iceman has been on Pinside 8 years and has 19 great pins.
Based on that I'd have to side with iceman. (Although if Rick adds six NIB pins every year he could even things up pretty quick.)

#2500 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I have three coming next week. This makes my legal opinion more valid? The number of pins I own?

Quoted from knockerlover:

I’m dumber for having read this.

I don't use emojis and I never will. I usually trust people can catch the implied humor. Apparently not this time.
Guess you gentlemen haven't read many of my posts (mostly attempts at humor or sarcasm).
Then again, my wife tells me I'm not as funny as I think I am. I would hate to think she's right.

#2551 4 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

Stern added a QA Director today, who used to work at Caterpillar.

That's good. Caterpillar never had any problems with the clear coat on their playfields.

#2617 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps a similar warning about washing their t-shirts is in order?

That lettering would not have faded if they'd used a better clear coat over it.

1 week later
#2739 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I was going to buy a deadpool, but its looking like I'm done with NIB sterns.

It sounds like your intent to buy a deadpool is now dead because of pooling issues? Hello, irony.

2 weeks later
#3108 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

My NIB JP3 Pro was just delivered today. I can't say if it's a thick or thin clear coat.

Anybody else long for the good old days when thick or thin only referred to different pizza crusts?

3 weeks later
#3217 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Eat shit, Sterk!

Somewhere there's a guy named Sterk reading this and feeling really bad.

#3265 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Jack and I are still in regular communication. My case is still open.

He probably has bigger issues to take care of. And you're just a small town guy, after all.

1 week later
#3446 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

So are Stern making their playfield inhouse or not?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Everything but the art and clear.

Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I am not so sure you have your facts correct. Could you kindly tell us where you got your information from?

Copied from my post in the Pinball Expo 2019 thread:

Quoted from littlecammi:

Stern tour showed Elvira + JP + SW comic art edition all being assembled. Per our tour guide playfields are cut and routed at Stern, sent out for printing and clear coat, then returned to Stern where they are placed in racks and left for weeks to let the clear cure.

1 week later
#3701 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'd prefer a 2-tier model: Pro & Premium. The Pro would remain unchanged and targeted at operators.
The Premium could be customized with options.

Spooky is doing this with certain options for R&M. This can get tricky if the take rate exceeds the expected percentage.
(WARNING: car example follows.)

When Ford first added the MyColor dash option on the Mustang, they anticipated (and ordered parts for) a 20% take rate. Of course, MyColor (gauge color user-customizable by individually setting RGB levels) was cool and 90% ordered the option. Most customers were contacted through their Ford dealers and offered the choice of deleting the option and getting their Mustang fairly quickly or waiting an additional two to three months while more MyColor parts were ordered.

#3703 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Ain't airballs - airballs regardless of the pin in which they occur?

But maybe the air in a FH is denser and absorbs the impact more before the ball contacts the playfield. Nice equation, though.

3 weeks later
#4295 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I will say, if the industry shuddered this moment....
WoZ most playfield mechs and toys in the past 2 decades.
Hobbit best video and audio assets from media to pinball in the past 2 decades.
Dialed In is the most original and fully featured non licensed IP in the past 2 decades.
POTC is the most overall balanced code, sound design and layout and mech usage in a game in the last 2 decades.
Wonka.....well, shoots really fluidly.
Obviously opinions. And if you agree, great. If you disagree, also great.

Assuming you meant shuttered (and not shuddered)…you cited only the good and skipped over the bad:
WoZ, beautiful game but not the best shooter and initially plagued by light board problems.
Hobbit, considered by many as not a very good game despite the nice video and audio assets.
Dialed In, unattractive cabinet and playfield art and missed the mark on theme.
POTC, costs so much that people start threads about which two games would you rather have.
Wonka, stripped down compared to other JJP games and made in the clear-coat-gate era.
My favorite games from recent times are EHoH, JP2, and BM66 (with hope for R&M to fulfill its potential).

#4451 4 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

I prefer no dimples.

And yet you love plywood.

#4589 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

According to Pinside, Mirco doesn’t make Stern playfields.

Copied from my post in the Pinball Expo 2019 thread:
Stern tour showed Elvira + JP + SW comic art edition all being assembled. Per our tour guide playfields are cut and routed at Stern, sent out for printing and clear coat, then returned to Stern where they are placed in racks and left for weeks to let the clear cure.

If this information is correct, then no wonder Stern wants to replace as few playfields as possible. The outside vendor would only refund Stern for the printing and clearing cost of defective playfields, and not the cost of the wood playfield itself. To try to salvage a playfield from bad printing or a bad clear coat, Stern would have to sand the top surface and send it out for reprinting and clearing.

#4667 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is there a reflection or glare from a protector? I feel pinball is meant to be played.

Quoted from zaphX:

I would love to see this tech on all playfields and forget about clearcoat shenanigans.

Playfields in my older games still look pretty good. Even 2002 Stern Playboy and 2014 Stern Mustang premium are holding up well.
But the heavy dimpling pictured on recent Stern games here on Pinside has me torn about putting a protector on my EHoH LE or not.

I was out of space when I bought the game so I need to expand my game area. I was working at that - but then I ordered R&M.
So Elvira sits still NIB while I change things so it and R&M can both be added. Playfield protector for EHoH was ordered and received.

When I'm finally able to unbox Elvira do I install the protector or not? (Currently leaning towards installing it.)

1 month later
#5038 4 years ago
Quoted from Seatmandan:

Pooling and chipping does not effect gameplay.

Quoted from mbeardsley:

How much time and effort will it take to do the swap?

None, since gameplay is not affected most will not bother to actually do the swap.
Down the road expect to see games for sale noting "brand new OEM playfield supplied along with game."
But I think you knew the answer before you asked the question.

#5079 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I like 99% of the people here even if I disagree with them.

Which means Who-Dey dislikes only one percent of Pinsiders.
And one percenters generally refers to the very richest Americans.
So basically, Who-Dey doesn't like the excessively wealthy?

I wish I qualified to be disliked by Who-Dey. Unfortunately, I do not.

2 months later
#5450 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

What the hell is your avatar?

Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

It's the rear side of Slimer.

So your avatar is constantly mooning us?
I may have to down vote you for that.

#5485 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Even the insert looks dimpled.

Kiwi saw the instruction "insert picture here" and took it literally.

2 months later
#6395 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

…and the price of an LE might approach $9000-9500 or so...

Like the $9399 my EHoH LE cost me?

5 months later
#7941 3 years ago

Some of you suggest that if enough Pinsiders stop buying NIB games completely until playfield issues are eliminated, then JJP and Stern will have to address the root cause of the problem to restore those lost sales.

Back in the '90s, when new games were sold mostly to operators, B/W would reduce pricing to close out small quantities of remaining NIB pins once they had moved the line on to the next new title. Operators caught on to this practice and quite a few started holding off buying new titles and waited for the close out pricing. As a result all of a sudden B/W had 1000 unsold NIB pins out of a run of 4000. Their answer was to reduce upcoming runs to 3000 and say "screw 'em" to ops that held off and missed out.

Although a much larger percentage of NIB pins are now sold to homeowners, Pinsiders are just a subset of that group. If a Pinside NIB boycott did affect sales to a noticeable amount, I suspect Stern would just compensate by reducing the inital run size of the next new titles. And if the smaller lot size cost them more for the parts, then Stern would just raise the list price of the games to cover the parts increases. And with fewer NIB sales there would be less used of those titles for sale HUO down the road.

1 month later
#8048 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Only a matter of time before chipping starts on at least a dozen posts.

I must be lucky. I've made over three thousand posts here on Pinside and none of them have ever chipped.

#8116 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Is it (bad playfields) one in 50, 100, or one in 500 or 1000? Are they major defects or minor ones?

Quoted from DakotaMike:

Stern seems to be taking bowed/warped playfields a lot more seriously than the chipping stuff.

Any reputable company should be able to take care of product warranty issues when the complaints/claims are a very small percentage of production, such as warped playfields seem to be in Stern games. From the numerous posts we all see, clearcoat pooling is far more widespread. Pinsiders unbox new games and immediately inspect the playfield closely for any sign of pooling around posts or guides. It looks like Stern has decided they cannot afford to supply populated replacement playfields for just pooling. Some unpopulated playfields have been sent on a case-to-case basis for games with pooling and chipping.

1 month later
#8665 2 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Not a matter of if, its more like when will the next GNR playfield go bad ?

So now the game has changed to "hot potato" where people briefly play and then quickly sell GNR to someone else, and whoever owns the game when the playfield starts chipping is the loser?

#8758 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

A post that sloppy is certainly not helpful and is going to contribute to the problem.

Sorry. I'll try to clean up any future posts I make here on Pinside. I don't want to add to the problem.

#8854 2 years ago

JJP has finally solved the problem of pooling and chipping around posts (although they have never admitted there has been a problem). All new JJP games will not have any posts on the playfield, thus eliminating the problem. JJP has teamed with Hasbro to use Nerf components (to absorb ball impacts and reduce component stress) in place of posts and ball guides.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider littlecammi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.