IMG20221008031914 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008032533 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008033119 (resized).jpg
IMG20221008034651 (resized).jpg
20220919_071252 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_032754 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220820_025439 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider liftmagnet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6123 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Great question.
Looking through the manuals The Simpsons Pinball Party is listed as ~260lbs. Stranger Things (Premium) is listed as ~210.

An ugly AFM wannabe vs one of the few packed games Stern ever produced, is really not a fair competition. While I would take all these weights with a grain of salt, AP lists Hot Wheels as 275lb unboxed and a AFM are around 250lb, those would be more of a fair comparison.

I think that anyone who honestly believes that Stern currently produces a quality product ether has never owned anything but 2012 and newer Sterns or is completely delusional. My 2004 Stern RBION (while I would not hold it up as the pinnacle of quality) feels like a Bally/Williams game comparatively to modern Stern machines.

2 months later
#7037 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

waterbase clearcoat cheaper.

I don't know why so many assume that waterbase clearcoats are worse and cheaper. There are some incredibly durable 2 part waterborne clearcoats out there but they are still very expensive and most importantly have a very short pot life after mixed (20 min or so). This last part would made it a big hassle in a high volume production environment.

#7047 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, that must be what they are using on these playfields. The real expensive stuff.

I made no claim to knowledge about what products any manufactures are using nor their process; I also highly doubt that anyone here is privy to any of that information as well.

All I was saying is that having to use waterborne products is no excuse for the poor quality.

1 month later
#7337 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

just to say, the MDF playfields are for home pins only...

For now...

3 weeks later
#7449 3 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

It’s sad we as customers have to do this.

What is even sadder is people are still lining up to buy more games from Stern when they full well know that this is the quality you get.

#7457 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

No, what's really sad is that people like you think that every pinball owner should care as much about minor pf quality issues as you. No offense. Plenty of owners just play the damn game, and don't give a crap about barely perceptible issues that you can only spot if you hunch down in just the right way, in just the right light.
There are legitimate issues to be concerned about, but the number of times I've seen owners in this thread ring their hands at some tiny imperfection that you can barely see, looking at a photo with a 20x zoom, from some crazy angle that you'd never be in while playing, is ridiculous. It's like sometimes people are doing everything they can to try and make a flaw appear. If you have to have the perfect light and perfect angle to spot the flaw, then it's not really a big deal. IMO.
Lot's of us don't care about tiny imperfections, and so we are happy to buy new/modern Sterns. I obviously buy new Stern's with the understanding that there could be minor cosmetic issues. So far I haven't had any, but if I did, I wouldn't whine about it, since I knew what I was getting into. People are lining up to buy more Stern's because they make some amazing and fun games. Ala' Jurassic Park, ala' Elvira, ect. ect.
I follow this thread because occasionally there have been big issues that are worth knowing about. Such as chunks of the pf and clear ripping out, or inserts crazing and things like that. I don't follow it to worry about barely/non-visible issues. But hey, to each their own, and if you wanna get out the magnifying glass and play "hunt-for-the-flaw" then knock yourself out. Just don't expect all of us to join in the insanity. Again, no offense.

I apologize that you have seemingly confused me with someone who actually cares about how you or anyone else spends their money. I personally have no horse in this race, I am completely priced out of the new game market as well as most of the used market. Consider me as an outside observer who sees this thread in the same kind of light as a car crash with a kind of morbid curiosity. So if anyone is of a income tax bracket that they can go blow $8k-$10k on a whim in Vegas or on the Stern lottery more power to them; just don't get all uppity when some of us point out the seemingly masochistic relationship many on here have with Stern.

#7459 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

so, you do not own any machines but spend time in a pinball forum? I think you should aim at getting one and maybe you'll change your mind.

If you would've looked at my profile you would see that I do have two machines at this time. Ignoring last year, I have been going to MGC and the Chicago Expo for quite some time so I have had plenty of opportunity to play all of "the new hotness." With the exception of a few titles, there is nothing produced in the last decade that is worth it to me from a fun to dollar ratio.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider liftmagnet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/continued-playfield-issues-with-jjp-and-stern?tu=liftmagnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.